• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015 |OT2| Pls print

Status
Not open for further replies.
All I wanted was a Slim Jim and ten gallons of unleaded, and I wound up helping to destroy America.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/when-faith-based-holiday-shopping-goes-wrong/

So Apu is okay then?

ZERXV6L.jpg

That checked a lot of boxes. Gross..

dramatis

John Kasich's Quiet Campaign to Cut Abortion Access
His campaign spokesman, Robert Nichols, declined to comment for this article and instead directed me to a section of the campaign website titled “Respecting the Sanctity of Human Life.” The page highlights Kasich’s anti-abortion accomplishments as governor, with a section explaining that he has “enacted more measures to protect unborn children than any other governor in the history of the state, including bans on late-term abortions and bans on elective abortions in public hospitals.”

Beyond this, however, Kasich’s 2016 presidential campaign has so far largely glossed over his role in passing anti-abortion legislation in Ohio as he seeks to position himself as the most moderate and mainstream candidate in the GOP race. He supports Medicaid expansion, stands behind the Common Core educational standards, is open to immigration reform and believes in climate change. When abortion does come up, his public statements are succinct; he explains that he is “pro-life,” like all the other GOP candidates, but does not go into detail. In an August interview with CNN’s Dana Bash, Kasich said conservatives focus “too much” on the topic and should instead turn their attention to other issues like “early childhood, infant mortality, the environment, education” — all topics that generally highlight his centrism and set him apart from his conservative competition.

The comment was picked up by abortion-rights advocates and opponents, who both wondered why Kasich was shying away from the success of anti-abortion legislation in Ohio. To abortion foes, Kasich’s record is a point of pride. “He needs to get his message out that he is pro-life and he can show his body of work,” Gonidakis said.
But there’s evidence that some Ohio women, like Sheva Guy, are seeking abortions elsewhere as restrictions tighten. A recent Associated Press survey tracked abortion rates in every state since 2010 and found declines in all but two: Michigan and Louisiana. Both states have Republican governors and their own share of abortion restrictions, but their legislation has not closed clinics at the same rate as their more forcefully anti-abortion neighbors: Ohio and Texas.
In the end, the women just go to neighboring states to get abortions instead.

This is a pretty good article that highlights how Kasich is also an abomination.

Got this from Aaron Blake's twitter:

Trumps' fav/unfavs in new Q poll:
African Americans -- 9/87
Latinos -- 9/84

IF Trump actually gets the nomination he could legitimately push Hispanics away from the Republicans for the next decade. I can't imagine what they would would have to do to appeal to Hispanic voters after that.

Teggy

And today in crazy shit Trump says:

“When you get these terrorists, you have to take out their families,” Trump said. “They care about their lives. Don’t kid yourself. But they say they don’t care about their lives. You have to take out their families.”

HylianTom

Banned

Latinos -- 9/84

IF Trump actually gets the nomination he could legitimately push Hispanics away from the Republicans for the next decade. I can't imagine what they would would have to do to appeal to Hispanic voters after that.

I love that Rubio only wins 18% of the Latino vote vs Clinton. The party's brand - and Clinton's under-reported, sustained outreach - could be at work here.

PBY

Banned

Latinos -- 9/84

This make zero sense to me because the Trump supporters I talk to are adamant that he has significant support in the black community.

Holmes

Ah gotcha. I think that drop is a return to normal anyway. That 38% you had him at before seems like it was too high compared to other polls.
That drop is heavily influenced by the Quinnipiac poll, which is like the first national poll in five or six days.

And Quinnipiac has always been one of Trump's worst polls, so there's still a chance!!

Also funny thing about Trump and non-white voters, it doesn't really hurt him in the primaries. The early states with many non-white voters are South Carolina, which shouldn't hurt Trump unless blacks en masse vote in the GOP primary against him (which would hurt Hillary), and Nevada, which is a caucus state. If Trump wins two, three, or all four early states, his momentum might be too strong for the Cuban voting block in Florida to stop him (and they might still be split between Jeb and Rubio if Jeb is still in lol).

pigeon

Banned
On the flipside, if you're old, poor, black and have no formal education, you're pretty optimistic about the rest of the American population, which I find... weird.

Technically it just says that if a probably white guy with a clipboard asks you if Americans are great you say yes.

Latinos -- 9/84

Imagine Hispanics breaking against Trump in similar numbers to how African-Americans usually vote. Goddamn.

This would be a Goldwater-level catastrophe - hopefully enough of them would vote to flip the House, too.

Holmes

Imagine Hispanics breaking against Trump in similar numbers to how African-Americans usually vote. Goddamn.

This would be a Goldwater-level catastrophe - hopefully enough of them would vote to flip the House, too.
Well. In California, Hispanics already more or less vote like that, the issue there is turnout (especially in the south). But it would put states like Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico, and Florida more firmly in the D column, and would help in swing states like Virginia and North Carolina, and would make it closer in Texas and Arizona. So maybe the thing to hope for isn't just Hispanic voters going hard against Trump, but rather a higher turnout amongst them.

But if you want to see a Goldwater-level map, Clinton would need to appeal to whites more than she already does. She'll do better among them than Obama did for "obvious reasons", but think of the salt-of-the-earth white voter from West Virginia, or the tea party Mormon from Idaho. Either Clinton wins them over, or Trump depresses turnout enough (which is the bigger possibility because there's a lot of foaming mouth hate towards Clinton).

Well. In California, Hispanics already more or less vote like that, the issue there is turnout (especially in the south). But it would put states like Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico, and Florida more firmly in the D column, and would help in swing states like Virginia and North Carolina, and would make it closer in Texas and Arizona. So maybe the thing to hope for isn't just Hispanic voters going hard against Trump, but rather a higher turnout amongst them.

But if you want to see a Goldwater-level map, Clinton would need to appeal to whites more than she already does. She'll do better among them than Obama did for "obvious reasons", but think of the salt-of-the-earth white voter from West Virginia, or the tea party Mormon from Idaho. Either Clinton wins them over, or Trump depresses turnout enough (which is the bigger possibility because there's a lot of foaming mouth hate towards Clinton).
I think American politics have gotten too polarized that we wouldn't see a complete shut-out like we did in 64, 72 or 84. Even in a worst-case scenario Trump would almost certainly win Idaho, Utah, Wyoming, Oklahoma, Kansas, most of Nebraska, probably the Dakotas, Arkansas, Louisiana, Alabama, Mississippi, Kentucky and West Virginia. Some of those might become mildly competitive but it would take a lot for them to actually flip.

User 406

Banned
John Kasich's Quiet Campaign to Cut Abortion Access

In the end, the women just go to neighboring states to get abortions instead.

This is a pretty good article that highlights how Kasich is also an abomination.

Don't worry, plenty of moderates will keep on saying he seems like the only sane one.

This shit right here is why I greatly fear a Kasich nomination. He may not have the charisma of Reagan, but he's totally like him in making people who don't lean his way think he's reasonable. Make no mistake, a Kasich presidency would fuck us up badly in many ways.

And today in crazy shit Trump says:

Oh, collective responsibility, how we've missed you!

So smart that most of his own party hates him? Cruz has great tactics but so many enemies that he can't sustain it for long.
Cruz doesnt give a shit about the party. He has one foot in anti-government hysteria and the other inside the senate.

He knows what tunes to play. He's the pied piper of the party that leads the rats who dance to his tune behind him.

User1608

Banned

It would be fantastic for sure. The GOP deserve it for fanning the flames of hatred for so long.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Cruz doesnt give a shit about the party. He has one foot in anti-government hysteria and the other inside the senate.

He knows what tunes to play. He's the pied piper of the party that leads the rats who dance to his tune behind him.

Maybe, but he's no where near as scary to the party leaders as Trump is. They'd stab him in the back in a heartbeat, shit they'd barely even need an excuse to put an end to his career.

Maybe, but he's no where near as scary to the party leaders as Trump is. They'd stab him in the back in a heartbeat, shit they'd barely even need an excuse to put an end to his career.
Cruz is actually worse for the party. If Trump wins and loses, they can blame the outsider fad on the loss. But if Cruz wins and loses, that's a total indictment of American conservatism and the GOP's platform.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Cruz is actually worse for the party. If Trump wins and loses, they can blame the outsider fad on the loss. But if Cruz wins and loses, that's a total indictment of American conservatism and the GOP's platform.

Which is why they'd turn the convention or Super Tuesday into his Red Wedding if it looked like he could actually win.

Holmes

He looks like the Speakership aged him 10 years overnight, goddamn. Did he drink from the wrong grail or something?
It probably did. Out of recent Speakers, only Pelosi handled the Speakership well and was able to get things done. She is the Speaker we deserve.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I know its early but...if the shooters turn out to be ISIS lone wolves..we're fucked.

If it was ISIS they'd have hit LA proper instead, not San Bernadino. It's gonna be domestic assholes of the highest order.

Also, fuck the second amendment. Fucking fuck it to hell. What the fuck is wrong with people? We make it way too goddamned easy for this shit to happen, we're practically enabling it.

It would be amazing if the Democrats win the House, along with the presidency and Senate. If the ACA was Obama's flagship legislation, I wonder what Clinton's would be? Would the Democrats have an appetite for expanding the ACA to include a public option? Increasing the minimum wage to $12 would also be huge, since almost every low income person in this country, regardless of race, would benefit from it. And it would be political suicide for a Republican to rebuke it like with the ACA. Hell, the Dem's could actually gain in 2018 if they run on defending the wage increase.

If it was ISIS they'd have hit LA proper instead, not San Bernadino. It's gonna be domestic assholes of the highest order.

Also, fuck the second amendment. Fucking fuck it to hell. What the fuck is wrong with people? We make it way too goddamned easy for this shit to happen, we're practically enabling it.
I'm worried. Obviously this is just as worse as the newtown massacre. But looks to me that someone was looking to elicit a response by killing completely defenseless people. Only ISIS fits that bill right now.

FyreWulff

This has all the fingerprints of a right wing attack and barely any of the ISIS ones.

ie Oklahoma City bombing, attacking soft targets in a belief they'll raise ire towards a percieved bigger target

ISIS prefers big glitzy targets

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
It wouldn't be a Goldwater level disaster. Stop thinking there are more Hispanics than there are. If you assume that Trump could get only 9% of the Hispanic vote as per those polls and that Hispanic turn-out increases by 4% (which is hugely optimistic as is), and otherwise 2012 and 2016 are identical, the only state that changes hands as a result is Arizona.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom