• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015 |OT2| Pls print

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man, I asked if Walker could hang on until Iowa, steep away from my computer for a couple hours, come back and hears he's dropping out.

I'm still amazed at Walker's complete and total collapse almost immediately once even a smattering of spotlight was shined on him.

Out out, brief candle.

In reference to one of literature's great villains, of course.

I kinda feel bad about shitting on Bernie supporters. It's not like I don't like the guy and don't agree with a lot of what he says...

It's just he can't win in the general against the GOP.
Unfortunately, his supporters all feel PoliGAF hates him because he's not Queen Hillary or something.

I`d honestly have a hard time stating something like that since, if he ever went to the general, that`d mean that he'd theoretically have the support of the democratic apparatus and minorities behind him, at which point it's more of a question of "how the fuck would the rep nominee win against that?" because demographics or whatever.

Fiorina is going to be dangerous. She out of any of the candidates learned both the good and bad of Romney. She's clearly studied his campaign. It's scary.

Her tonight show interview tonight solidifies that.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Lol at "being called to lead by clearing out the field"

What about the failed leadership of "leading from behind"?

Welcome aboard the crazy train brother. We're in for a bumpy ride.
DfPxZXP.gif

You guys are crazy for picking trump. Rubio and fiorina are the favourites now.

They both mix establishment love of tax cuts and neocon foreign policy (they don't want to start a war but want to fund others to replay a cold war). They have great back stories and bring a new demographics.

Also know to establish who is they are early which hurts democratic attacks.

They're gonna get a lot of money and don't have bushs general election weaknesses. I'm freighted by both if you the dem coalition fractures or doesn't show up.

The only redeeming thing is that I don't think they really desire the wholesale attack on government people like Cruz and trump represent.

They're a George w Bush redux.

I can't take Fiorina seriously as a threat with her history. She's the Republican flavor of the month likely to crumble once the spotlight turns on her. By the time we get to Iowa she won't be on the radar.

The other thing is I don't think rubio takes as many states away from the dems. I think he takes Florida and someplace like NH which just likes change, off the table but I don't see him hurting Hillary in Nevada, Virginia or Ohio

They both mix establishment love of tax cuts and neocon foreign policy (they don't want to start a war but want to fund others to replay a cold war). They have great back stories and bring a new demographics.

They're gonna get a lot of money and don't have bushs general election weaknesses. I'm freighted by both if you the dem coalition fractures or doesn't show up.

The only redeeming thing is that I don't think they really desire the wholesale attack on government people like Cruz and trump represent.

Fiorina has the anchor that is HP hanging around her neck; she's done an admirable job of treading water, but sooner or later, she's gonna sink.

Rubio... Rubio is basically Trump's only real competition at this point, I'll give you that, but once Carson and Fiorina drop out I think you'll see a lot of their support move Trumpwards, which will basically make it an establishment vs. anti-establishment race, and this year... this year I'm not so sure the establishment's gonna win it.

tmarg

The other thing is I don't think rubio takes as many states away from the dems. I think he takes Florida and someplace like NH which just likes change, off the table but I don't see him hurting Hillary in Nevada, Virginia or Ohio

Any republican can take Ohio by picking Kasich for VP. Except Trump I suppose, I doubt Kasich would put his name on that ticket.

Drakeon

Have to agree with the others. Until we see ads with 30k jobs cut while she was at HP (or $120 million worth of computers sold to Iran, or both), I can't possibly believe Carly stands up to scrutiny. If shes still polling this well after some ads get run against her, then maybe I'll buy she has some legitimate traction.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Jeb! will win. Trump is a front runner candidate, the minute his poll numbers start to sink (and there is evidence of that already), his campaign begins to implode. Rapidly. He will flame out as quickly as he burst on the scene.

Fiorina has the anchor that is HP hanging around her neck; she's done an admirable job of treading water, but sooner or later, she's gonna sink.

Rubio... Rubio is basically Trump's only real competition at this point, I'll give you that, but once Carson and Fiorina drop out I think you'll see a lot of their support move Trumpwards, which will basically make it an establishment vs. anti-establishment race, and this year... this year I'm not so sure the establishment's gonna win it.

Fiorina has looked at Romney and basically learned to deny the larger charge and just spew BS. She clearly learned from the Bain attack to own it and cut off that avenue of attack. I just saw her do it on Fallon. She spews misleading "facts" which make it seem like she actually did a good job. She says: increased sales (because they bought compaq and added their market share), increased the payroll (again compaq, missing the lay offs though), market capitalization (again compaq) while just spewing crap about everyone else failing, etc, etc. She's really good at this. She also exudes this narcissistic know it all attitude which IMO comes across as presidential and is especially likable for the GOP. She also has this really good straddling of the establishment vs anti establishment. She can attract both.

And I still don't buy trump actually having as much support as he has.

Again, support this early is cheap and easy to shed.

It costs nothing to say to a pollster your going to vote for trump to shape the debate but its not the same to actually vote for the man in February when you start caring more about beating Hillary than getting the mexicans out.

Have to agree with the others. Until we see ads with 30k jobs cut while she was at HP (or $120 million worth of computers sold to Iran, or both), I can't possibly believe Carly stands up to scrutiny. If shes still polling this well after some ads get run against her, then maybe I'll buy she has some legitimate traction.

Job cuts is the best attack but she pivots with this nebulous, 60,000 jobs saved line.

I'm not saying she's guaranteed but is silly to outright dismiss her. The believe trump still will be where he is in February is far more silly.

Trouble

Banned
Jeb! will win. Trump is a front runner candidate, the minute his poll numbers start to sink (and there is evidence of that already), his campaign begins to implode. Rapidly. He will flame out as quickly as he burst on the scene.

Yep. Carson will rise and be the new front runner for a bit, then Jeb! will come clean up and take the nomination. We've seen this dog and pony show before.

The biggest question I have is how hard bush is going to go after rubio. That's going to be interesting

And the thing trump is going to be good at is bringing others down like Walker and Perry. I really hope he can take out kasich

Tarkus

Yep. Carson will rise and be the new front runner for a bit, then Jeb! will come clean up and take the nomination. We've seen this dog and pony show before.
Nah. Carson has already peaked. He will gaffe his campaign to death. It's already started with the Muslim comments; I'm a right of center type of guy and it offended me. Rubio is the next big thing...however Trump wins the nom.

gcubed

Fiorina has looked at Romney and basically learned to deny the larger charge and just spew BS. She clearly learned from the Bain attack to own it and cut off that avenue of attack. I just saw her do it on Fallon. She spews misleading "facts" which make it seem like she actually did a good job. She says: increased sales (because they bought compaq and added their market share), increased the payroll (again compaq, missing the lay offs though), market capitalization (again compaq) while just spewing crap about everyone else failing, etc, etc. She's really good at this. She also exudes this narcissistic know it all attitude which IMO comes across as presidential and is especially likable for the GOP. She also has this really good straddling of the establishment vs anti establishment. She can attract both.

It costs nothing to say to a pollster your going to vote for trump to shape the debate but its not the same to actually vote for the man in February when you start caring more about beating Hillary than getting the mexicans out.

Job cuts is the best attack but she pivots with this nebulous, 60,000 jobs saved line.

I'm not saying she's guaranteed but is silly to outright dismiss her. The believe trump still will be where he is in February is far more silly.

I'll outright dismiss her like I outright dismiss Carson, she's a flavor of the month. It's Jeb or Rubio when everything settles.

All this proves is that the GOP adjustments to their primary schedule did absolutely nothing to stop the shitshow repeat from last time

We've had discussions about charisma before, but Fiorina has yet another kind of charisma.

If charisma is the personality equivalent to The Force, then Fiorina can weild the force from the dark side.

Dark charisma she has.

Tarkus

We've had discussions about charisma before, but Fiorina has yet another kind of charisma.

If charisma is the personality equivalent to The Force, then Fiorina can weild the force from the dark side.

Dark charisma she has.
What kind does Trump have? I can't quite put a finger on it, but he has it in spades.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

Dark charisma she has.

I'm a bit worried about Fiorina, but I still think she hasn't really been put under pressure yet. Some of my more conservative friends like her because she's a woman and "she has business experience" which has me nervous, but they also don't really care about politics

watershed

Banned
Trump is making some interesting moves. He's set to announce his foreign policy team "very soon." I wonder which former generals he rounded up to endorse his views. And I can't wait to see him on Colbert.

No. Fiorina and Rubio are flavors of the week/month. Ben Carson's star will begin to start fading this week. Fiorina will rise, and maybe even overtake Trumpmeister. Few weeks later, the wunderkind junior senator from Florida will take the reins. All will melt before Trump. He already ended two people's campaigns. I believe it.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

Hasn't he been leading for like 3 months now?

I guess I still don't get people brushing off Trump. He has led the race for months and still has a huge lead. Every time people say he is going to drop, he doesn't.

Just follow Barbara Boxer's playbook and bury her campaign. Or run quotes from every newspaper/magazine that called her the worst CEO of all time.
Following her resignation from HP, some commentators ranked Fiorina as one of the worst American (or tech) CEOs of all time.[97][98][99] In 2008, InfoWorld grouped her with a list of products and ideas as flops, declaring her tenure as CEO of HP to be the sixth worst tech flop of all-time and characterizing her as the "anti-Steve Jobs" for reversing the goodwill of American engineers and alienating existing customers.[100][101] A Stanford Graduate School of Business paper noted Fiorina's request to purchase a US$30 million Gulfstream IV for her use, while her predecessor had traveled coach.[11][72]
She is aggressive though, which may be her strength.

HylianTom

Banned
I see Rubio speak, and - even when trying to take off my liberal hat for a moment - I just don't get the hype. Every time I hear someone attempting to cast him as "The Republican Obama," my response is one of incredulity.

His remarks are always carefully-scripted talking points (which honestly can be said of many candidates on either side of the aisle), but I have nothing that gives me confidence that he can speak confidently off of script.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom