• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015 |OT2| Pls print

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I guess we are only going to see a continuing resolution. I wonder how much pressure the next speaker is going to go under to prove himself by shutting down the government.

I'm still not entirely sure what this is supposed to mean as, I'm not really aware of such a system existing. My gmail, Neogaf and my mouth are all systems capable of transmitting classified information, but given appropriate discretion they won't.

If you're talking about some sort of filter that will block any information marked classified in some way, I'm not aware of whether such exists at State. In the event that it did, it wouldn't stop information that was post-hoc marked classified being sent and received.

If you don't think culpability would be ascribed to her if she had these same emails on a state.gov address while she was running for President, then you give far too much credit to Republican party committees that, for instance, repeatedly asserts the Secretary of Energy, a former Professor of physics at MIT, does not know what an EMP is, and are still investigating things that never happened in Libya.

Such a system (unclassified system incapable of transmitting classified information) does not exist. It is virtually impossible with the technology that we currently have. It only serves as a means of comparison. The distinction is still necessary because an unclassified system, even on a private server, is not inherently unsuitable or problematic for government work. It only potentially becomes a problem when other factors are involved, like having the capability to transmit classified information.

And my argument has nothing to do with the Republican angle. If it weren't an email scandal, it would be something else with them. That it had enough substance to gain traction is pure coincidence, and not a legitimacy to their approach.

However, my comments about Hillary have been based on my own perspective about this particular situation and how she should have made better decisions being in her position, and have nothing to do with what she can do shield herself from public scrutiny (it's inevitable).

I appreciated Graham's answer a bit.:p
Also go fuck yourself Jindal.
Whoever picked Jindal should probably change it soon.
Enough.
Hear me! My friends, I and another noble soul, Aaron Strife, march against the usurper king Theodore of Cruz and his wicked supporters, Manmademan and JesseEwiak.
ex8a3yB.jpg

We're riding this straight into the sunset but its not too late! We only need one more vote for Bobby to turn the tide! If you have a just bone in your body, join our crusade. This boat leaves friday and we shall probably not return. If you stand idle now you are complicit in Ted's victory. We want you. Vote Jindal

HylianTom

Banned
Me and retromelon will be the ones laughing once Piyush comes to shove.
rimshot-gary.gif

I'm very thankful for Jindal right now. He appears to be helping with dragging the Republican brand down in our state, to the point where the Democratic gubernatorial candidate might actually be competitive this time around.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
The interviewer is almost as ridiculous as trump, complaining about the 17 trillion dollar debt and acting like we're not allowed to ever challenge trade agreements of the past, no matter how terrible that is, that agreement is here to stay until the end of time.

I also find the "you're not going to get anything through congress" attack useless, because that can probably be said to pretty much everyone, unless republicans win the senate and get rid of the filibuster, and if Trump does somehow win republicans the presidency and congress, I'm going to guess they'll be way more open to his ideas for the direction of the party.

Trump is also crazy too of course. While I do like tariffs as a possible way to help with inequality by emphasising more manual labor jobs in america at fairer prices, it's still pretty well established in economic theory that tariffs will definitely decrease GDP, not increase it.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
Pssh. That's a piece of cake.

I didn't see 60 Minutes.. did he help or hurt himself?

Hard to say, but Twitter feedback seemed good.

Is anyone noticing Trump's stance on illegal immigrants? Round them up, legalize the "good ones". Totally predicted that, along with that he won't get specific until securing the nomination. I wonder how it will all unfold. Not changing who I think will ultimately win, but this was a better performance than recently.

Is anyone noticing Trump's stance on illegal immigrants? Round them up, legalize the "good ones". Totally predicted that, along with that he won't get specific until securing the nomination. I wonder how it will all unfold. Not changing who I think will ultimately win, but this was a better performance than recently.

Most people say he looked like a rambling moron detached from reality. I personally didn't see it.

HylianTom

Banned

Any time I hear the idea of "rounding up" large numbers of people, my mind immediately brings-up images of the people scoopers from Soylent Green..
100813soylentgreen

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
Most people say he looked like a rambling moron detached from reality. I personally didn't see it.

I think people just assume there's nothing that can be done about trade. But here's some of the things he said.

1. Force China to deal with North Korea, or collapse their economy
2. Let Putin deal with ISIS in Syria
3. Destroy ISIS in Iraq, including ground troops
4. Renegotiate NAFTA or break it. Basically he will start a trade war to get jobs back in America.

Lots of bold actions in a Trump presidency.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
"Round them up" sounds like something a certain Austrian-born German would say. Terrifying rhetoric.

They are in America illegally. How else do you get them processed for citizenship efficiently, than by "rounding them up"? ID cards, social security numbers, etc? The rhetoric could use some massaging, for sure. And I am making assumptions that this is what Trump means. He should clarify himself If he wants to be President.

They are in America illegally. How else do you get them processed for citizenship efficiently, than by "rounding them up"? ID cards, social security numbers, etc? The rhetoric could use some massaging, for sure. And I am making assumptions that this is what Trump means. He should clarify himself If he wants to be President.

How are you gonna round people up who sneak into the country? Stop and search everyone who looks hispanic?

pigeon

Banned
1. Force China to deal with North Korea, or collapse their economy

Idiotic, unnecessary, wouldn't work. We don't have the power to collapse China's economy. We could probably upset them a lot and make them poorer, at the cost of impoverishing millions of Americans.

2. Let Putin deal with ISIS in Syria

Idiotic, probably wouldn't work, legitimizes Assad's civil rights abuses and use of chemical weapons.

3. Destroy ISIS in Iraq, including ground troops

Completely idiotic, wouldn't work, we literally just tried this ten years ago and that's how we got ISIS in the first place.

4. Renegotiate NAFTA or break it. Basically he will start a trade war to get jobs back in America.

Idiotic, wouldn't work, flies in the face of basically every economics theory on either the left or right side, would almost certainly mean a loss of American jobs.

Lots of bold actions in a Trump presidency.

That's one word! Some others come to mind.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Forgot to talk about this.

That is an extremely small sample size. If it's in any way indicative of a similarly proportioned amount when factoring all 30k+ emails, then HOLY SHIT what a colossal fuck up.

Also, if the CIA and NGIA are onboard with the IC, then I'd say the IG was right on this one.

So what happens now? Any updates on the investigation?

From what I can see, the intelligence community isn't divided on this point. The ICIG determined that the emails were top secret by mid-August. A second review involving the CIA and the National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency confirmed that conclusion earlier this month. So the official opinion of the Inspector General for the intelligence community, along with the CIA and NGIA, is that the material in Clinton's email was top secret. On the other hand, we have mixed messages from the AP's anonymous sources--and APK can tell you how much confidence we should place in the AP's anonymous sources.

One important point I haven't seen discussed: According to the AP article you quoted from earlier, the 40 emails reviewed by the ICIG were a random sample of emails provided by Clinton to the State Department. If that's correct, then it raises the possibility that those 40 emails were representative of the other 30,000ish. If so, then we could expect as many as 1,500 of Clinton's emails to contain top secret material. So it's not enough to point to some anonymous sources who disagree about these two specific emails, even if we take those sources as authoritative with respect to those two emails.

You cannot extrapolate like that from such a small sample. I don't think you guys understand statistical analysis here. Doing that opens you up to all kinds of statistical errors since a small irregularity can have large consequences. Look up Power, type I and II errors, etc. there is a reason why in research there is an attempt to have the largest sample size possible.

Clinton did not do anything differently than her predecessors, including republican loved Colin Powell. All this stuff, including Benghazi, is such a transparent attempt at fabricating a controversy since it was always clear she was going to be the likely Democratic candidate. It's a shame that the media plays right into it

pigeon

Banned
Such a system (unclassified system incapable of transmitting classified information) does not exist. It is virtually impossible with the technology that we currently have. It only serves as a means of comparison.

The distinction is still necessary because an unclassified system, even on a private server, is not inherently unsuitable or problematic for government work. It only potentially becomes a problem when other factors are involved, like having the capability to transmit classified information.

As far as I can tell, this is complete nonsense. Your entire point is that you wouldn't have a problem with Hillary using her own server as long as it was a magical server from the far future which could identify and refuse to transmit classified information? How is that even worth making us think about, much less having to read paragraph upon paragraph about? No such system exists or will ever exist. And if it did exist, it would be way more insecure than what happened here, because such a server would either need to have access to all classified information or contain within itself heuristics for defining all classified information. Come on now.

Idiotic, probably wouldn't work, legitimizes Assad's civil rights abuses and use of chemical weapons.

Giving him support legitimizes it. Ignoring and doing nothing legitimizes it as much as it legitimizes all the other horrible stuff going on around the globe that the US ignores.

pigeon

Banned
Giving him support legitimizes it. Ignoring and doing nothing legitimizes it as much as it legitimizes all the other horrible stuff going on around the globe that the US ignores.

Russia is Assad's ally. Any deal we cut with Putin to put troops in Syria would be understood by everybody as a deal to allow Russia to put down the Syrian rebels (because that's what it would be).

You're equating allowing and not opposing, and i can't quite see why.

Nor do i see why the US should interfere in Syria more than it already has, for that matter.

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more
You cannot extrapolate like that from such a small sample. I don't think you guys understand statistical analysis here. Doing that opens you up to all kinds of statistical errors since a small irregularity can have large consequences. Look up Power, type I and II errors, etc. there is a reason why in research there is an attempt to have the largest sample size possible.

Since I wasn't about to do math, I covered the possibility that the 40 emails are not representative by speaking of a possibility that they are.

But since we now have an expert among us, what is the probability that a random sample of 40 emails out of a population of 30,000 would turn up the only two containing top secret material?

Ben Carson: I'd consider religion as probable cause for searches

I personally don’t feel that way, but I would certainly be willing to listen to somebody who had evidence to the contrary," Carson said on ABC's "This Week." "I think that’s one of the problems, we get to our little corners, and we don’t want to listen to anybody."

The suggestion by the retired neurosurgeon, who’s been surging toward front-runner Donald Trump in the polls, came after he defended recent comments advocating against electing a Muslim president.

"What we should be talking about is Islam and the tenets of Islam and where do they come from? They come from sharia. They come the Koran," he told host ABC Martha Raddatz. "They come from, you know, the life works and examples of Mohammed. They come from the fatwas, which is the writings of scholars. You know, and if you go back and you look at – what I would like for somebody to show me is an improved Islamic text that opposes sharia.

Carson takes another swing.

Geist-

I admit, I never really gave him a fair shot before, I mostly formed my opinion from what everyone else was saying. But he's actually fairly reasonable. He has no filter, but NAFTA is a terrible agreement, he advocates a streamlined immigration process (even if it's nuts that he wants to kick them out before giving them citizenship), and he sounds very much in favor of some form of single-payer healthcare.

I'm still entirely in favor of Sanders, and if not him, I'll probably go with Hillary, but Trump would probably be the ideal GOP candidate out of the current selection. The other guys are just freaking insane.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom