• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT10| Jill Stein Inflatable Love Doll

Status
Not open for further replies.
People are less likely than ever to ticket split, unless this election is an aberration that should still hold true.

I know ticket splitting has been getting rarer, but normally both candidates aren't historically disliked. Which is why I think that margin of error should widen quite a bit to allow for an aberration. It could favor either party, though I suspect it'd favor the democrats as Clinton seems better liked within party supporters than Trump is.

Was Jill Stein always such a twitter shitposter?

What else can she do? As a six-year member of a MA town city council, she can't speak authoritatively on the breadth of issues someone with a resume like Hillary Clinton's can. So instead of fleshing out her thin sketches of policy proposals, she spends time trying to win people over by using their hip memes.

Some say they want their presidential candidates to be political outsiders, but looking at Stein and Trump I can't say I'm eager for more unqualified candidates.

I'd never vote Libertarian, but at least Gary Johnson has held a substantial elected office.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I know ticket splitting has been getting rarer, but normally both candidates aren't historically disliked. Which is why I think that margin of error should widen quite a bit to allow for an aberration. It could favor either party, though I suspect it'd favor the democrats as Clinton seems better liked within party supporters than Trump is.

There's very little actual precedent to go on, so sussing stuff like this out is incredibly hard. I suspect this election is more like previous elections than people are likely to admit, outside of Trump being a white supremacist.

Bronx-Man

Banned
She deleted it. But.

CrsS3o1WgAAvbJV.jpg
What's up with Jill turning into Trump without the Y chromosome?

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more
The sun continues to rise.

I also routinely make appearances for Citizens United, Hobby Lobby, Shelby County, and Hillary Clinton email/server topics. And I don't really post much about FOIA. Just the silly Jack Remington/Spoiled Milk meme.

Did I miss anything?

Oh, right. Shall i review what the Supreme Court got wrong in King v. Burwell, or link you to an infinite regression of posts?

I also routinely make appearances for Citizens United, Hobby Lobby, Shelby County, and Hillary Clinton email/server topics. And I don't really post much about FOIA. Just the silly Jack Remington/Spoiled Milk meme.

Did I miss anything?

Oh, right. Shall i review what the Supreme Court got wrong in King v. Burwell, or link you to an infinite regression of posts?

I was only teasing :p

People freaking out about the polling?

I'm not. Hillary is still winning comfortably. Relax, people.

Yeah, with basically taking all of August off, cause fuck August, it's always hard for Dems for whatever reason. Plus all the negative news cycles, which I think is getting enough of a pushback from media critics that that will die down.

Grexeno

So basically 3 polls came out showing Hillary up about 3 or 4, but because the one poll that showed Trump up 2 is from CNN, EVERYONE STOCK UP ON DRIED MEATS

Maxim726X

People freaking out about the polling?

I'm not. Hillary is still winning comfortably. Relax, people.

Freaking out? Not yet.

Just hope I never hear about his fucking 'ceiling' ever again. Despite a God awful campaign, he's somehow slowly gaining ground.

It's more bewilderment than anything else. I guess.

Two things I heard on MSNBC that I thought were worth repeating:

1) This election will be the first time college educated white voters go for a Democrat! That's big news!

2) I forgot what the second thing was while I was trying to remember the first.

(or we ignore the state polling from the past week but okay Nate you do you)

I don't get why people give a fuck what people say about polls. They are literally facts, even their bias. All the evidence is there. I really can't fathom how people can be arsed to bitch out someone like Nate Silver for his opinion, which has as much to do with the actual facts of polls and their results as anyone else who they happen to prefer.

People and their models are all THOROUGHLY explained in the context of their presentation. People can shift their focus how ever they like but it's not like any polls are somehow deleted when someone says this or that.

Literally, why do you care what Nate says? It's not like everyone here isn't already following the pollster on Twitter and every media outlet, and gets the results immediately. What are you even following him for at this point lmfao

Can you explain the relationship between testicle growth and ignoring the vapid media in greater detail? It's not clear to me how these things are related to one another

For that matter, "you're winning" is a really bad reason to not care about something. I don't want to "win", I want to run the score up as high as imaginably possible.

My approach.

1) Panic!
2) Panic harder.
3) PANIC!!!!!
4) Blame Nate Silver

Less about not caring, more about not worrying. Nothing has changed on the ground. Trump was always going to dominate headlines and tv time, that's not going to change. The only difference between now and a few weeks ago is that Trump hasn't gone overboard with a bigoted comment yet. But...it's coming.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
They generally do, though, I thought.

They generally do. Some folks do not like bad news for Clinton in this thread though.

I suspect the CNN poll is assuming a major downtick in likely voters amongst younger voters which is contributing to the slight Trump lead. Which isn't a necessarily bad assumption to make, based on the typical turnout + lack of enthusiasm from Clinton voters this year + rather large lead for Clinton relatively speaking.

EDIT: The other issue is whether the difference between state polls and national polls is that those in swing states are more inclined to vote for Clinton over a third party due to the nature of their state.

Keepin' it 1600 continues to be the worst produced podcast I have ever listen to. There are video game podcast from 2006 and 2007 that I can listen to that have better audio quality than these guys do on a regular basis. Mind-boggling!

Oh. The second was that pollsters are now rolling out their likely voter model. So we're going to see a lot of variance.

Oh! And the third thing is that third party support tops out traditionally after labor day. Which is today. So there's that! We'll see Clinton on the upswing as Steiners get more and more hopeless.

Also I'm flattered that Metamorpheus thinks I'm Jack Remington's alt. He was one of my favorite posters.

I still think a 5 point shift in LV screen during a Presidential election is iffy. I'd love to know what their methodology is. Like, seriously. I'd also like to see their model for what the electorate is going to look like. I said it before, but I cannot imagine a scenario in which Hillary is winning minorities and college educated whites by those margins but still losing.

I wonder if Hamilton has caused Founding Father worship to end for now by reminding people that they all hated each other and that Thomas Jefferson and James Madison were the most racist people possible and that Hamilton and Ben Franklin (not in the play but has been brought up) were even more publicly sexual than any politician today would dream to be. They're portrayed fairly positively in the play, but their hate and negative elements are still pretty prominent.

The Glenn Beck era of conservative news basically treated the Founding Fathers as prophets and that seems to have died down?

I don't get why people give a fuck what people say about polls. They are literally facts, even their bias. All the evidence is there. I really can't fathom how people can be arsed to bitch out someone like Nate Silver for his opinion, which has as much to do with the actual facts of polls and their results as anyone else who they happen to prefer.

People and their models are all THOROUGHLY explained in the context of their presentation. People can shift their focus how ever they like but it's not like any polls are somehow deleted when someone says this or that.

Literally, why do you care what Nate says? It's not like everyone here isn't already following the pollster on Twitter and every media outlet, and gets the results immediately. What are you even following him for at this point lmfao

Because bad punditry is kind of annoying? I mean, maybe we'll see state polls tighten substantially in the next few days! But we haven't seen that yet.

Love this line by Jonah Goldberg on Trump:

http://www.nationalreview.com/g-fil...-jonah-goldberg-class-donald-trump-supporters

Jonah Goldberg said:
Simply put, [Trump] is a glandular, generally friendless, zero-sum conniver who has made it clear that he sees nothing wrong with breaking promises — in business, in matrimony, and in politics — so long as he’s dubbed a “winner” by a narcissistic standard of his own choosing.

Goldberg, of course, writes for the National Review, but he has a congenial nature about him that I still like.

Because bad punditry is kind of annoying?

But Silver made his name presenting and interpreting data. His punditry is like...Diet Punditry. Punditry Zero. He didn't write a book about politics, he wrote a book about data.

His a opinion is only about polls and data. It's like...barely punditry.

It's like wondering why Chuck Dixon would be bad at writing a work of literary fiction.

But Silver made his name presenting and interpreting data. His punditry is like...Diet Punditry. Punditry Zero. He didn't write a book about politics, he wrote a book about data.

It's like wondering why Chuck Dixon would be bad at writing a work of literary fiction.

his entire composure during the republican primary was straight punditry

Nate's sort of gone back on that more than a little. I honestly barely recognize the guy I saw through Signal and the Noise these days.

Only 5 people registered to vote at the Arizona Democrats taco truck thing.

el oh el

Edit: Guy on the local news just said he couldn't have sent a letter to the government because he doesn't have a typewriter. WHAT YEAR IS THIS!?

So my mom is a conservative that watches Fox News, but hates people like Trump and Hannity. As expected she buys into the myth that CNN is pro-democratic-party.

I told her about Greta leaving and she was disappointed, because she liked her show.

I decided to next ask her if she would start watching CNN if Megyn (whom she also likes) and Greta moved to that network.

Her response was just "Maybe".

She clearly doesn't want to admit to the possibility of her switching to CNN.

I wonder if Hamilton has caused Founding Father worship to end for now by reminding people that they all hated each other and that Thomas Jefferson and James Madison were the most racist people possible and that Hamilton and Ben Franklin (not in the play but has been brought up) were even more publicly sexual than any politician today would dream to be. They're portrayed fairly positively in the play, but their hate and negative elements are still pretty prominent.

The Glenn Beck era of conservative news basically treated the Founding Fathers as prophets and that seems to have died down?

Founding Father worship will never go away. I think one of the reasons that Conservatives responded so strongly to Hamilton is because it reinforces the "Anyone can become great if they pull themselves up by their bootstraps" theory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom