• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT11| Well this is exciting

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually don't like roller coasters that much. I prefer theme parks to amusement parks.

I like both but it can't really justify theme parks as a single dude. I need a date or family.

I also grew up at disney world so I need like a 10year break

I have to leave NJ to come to work. But you guys should take the path down to JC. There's a lot of cool stuff. I would host you all.

I'd come. Hit up the NYC thread.

Also I feel old today. I'm jamming to Hall and Oates and Paul Simon. Have I become my parents?

I like both but it can't really justify theme parks as a single dude. I need a date or family.

I'd come. Hit up the NYC thread.

Also I feel old today. I'm jamming to Hall and Oates and Paul Simon. Have I become my parents?

I'm trying to talk the fiance into taking the boys to Disney. He wants to go to Dollywood. :(

Disney world is only worth it if you space out the times you go. There's Disney fanatics who go every day of the year and know every square foot of the park but that's them. I go only like every 4-5 years and it's still enjoyable.

Considering the huge majority of NPA registrations are young voters, and where the majority of new registrations are coming from, I have to guess these are pretty great numbers for Democrats in North Carolina.

With less data in Georgia, it's hard to tell.

HylianTom

Banned
I'm trying to talk the fiance into taking the boys to Disney. He wants to go to Dollywood. :(

Driving through Pigeon Forge in August, I was aghast at the Trump signage along the highways, including outside of businesses. I'd normally enjoy a visit to Dollywood.. but not this year.

Wilsongt

GettyImages-610100774-e1474822032469.jpg

Kangi

Driving through Pigeon Forge in August, I was aghast at the Trump signage along the highways, including outside of businesses. I'd normally enjoy a visit to Dollywood.. but not this year.

Looks like I'll be averting my eyes a lot this weekend, then. Yeesh.

ampere

C5R7Fu4.jpg

This is a portion of George Bush's speech from the African American History and Culture Museum opening yesterday. These words are beautiful on their own, then add in that it was George fucking Bush saying them.

Man, how far the Republican party has fallen.

It's a good speech. I just don't think W is an evil guy, just that he made a lot of bad decisions and had Cheney, whom I detest, whispering in his ear.

Disney world is only worth it if you space out the times you go. There's Disney fanatics who go every day of the year and know every square foot of the park but that's them. I go only like every 4-5 years and it's still enjoyable.
I'm one of the Disney fanatics. I was at the parks for either work or fun for almost an entire year straight. :( I love it. I love everything about it.
I don't hate Dollywood. But, like, given the choice....I'd take Disney all day. I imagine there's a lot of Trump support there....which....ya. Doesn't shock me.

Wilsongt

It's a good speech. I just don't think W is an evil guy, just that he made a lot of bad decisions and had Cheney, whom I detest, whispering in his ear.

W wasn't running the show. It was Cheney mostly.

Goddamn, who would have thought 8 years later we would actually be thinking W was a decent person. Not a good president, but a decent person. It just goes to show that the entire list of GOP candidates this election were all heinous individuals.

Crayons

Banned
Wait you got in? I got there and people were talking about someone underage who couldn't get in.
yeah, I got in.
GAF went inside, some came back out, and the bouncers there were like "yeah we saw you guys before" and let the group in

I got in and I was like "oh my god" it worked

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
So what's the Clinton campaign game-plan for Ohio and Iowa?

Probably tell them to fuck off and enjoy no federal funds for the next 4 years?

More seriously, do you think we'll know who will win in NC before election day based on early voting?

From Friday:

@IAStartingLine
Today's new Iowa absentee requests:

Ds: +2,396
Rs: +1,387
NP: +1,251

Overall:

Ds: 54,059
Rs: 20,687
NP: 21,379

Dems continue to about double the R+NP request each day. Slow start for both parties, but Hillary will be in Iowa on the first day of early voting there.

Probably tell them to fuck off and enjoy no federal funds for the next 4 years?

More seriously, do you think we'll know who will win in NC before election day based on early voting?

I think we'll have an idea about how steep the gap is going to be for Republicans. If it's slight, they'll probably win, but if this continues + Dems take advantage of early voting in the state, it's going to be very difficult on election day.

User1608

Banned
Bush himself was a decent guy surrounded by horrible people making decisions. Doesn't make him blameless, but he gets far too much hatred here.
I know he proposed and helped initiate PEPFAR (President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief) so he clearly cares about people and isn't a racist but still. I'll credit him for some of the good he's done.

I could never imagine a president Trump doing that.

Wilsongt

I know he proposed and helped initiate PEPFAR (President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief) so he clearly cares about people and isn't a racist but still. I'll credit him for some of the good he's done.

He did some decent things, and said some decent things.

Just goes to show how shitty all the candidates this year were. Not a single decent or likable individual in the bunch. The only one that even enters possible okay territory was Louise Graham.

Boke1879

Seeing Hillary & Roy Cooper ads on every Youtube video today. We've hit the final stretch of this election.

After tomorrow shit hits overdrive. Clinton will be holding rallies in major states, Michelle is out there next week as well. Obama starts in October. Not to mention you'll get sick of seeing ads.

Good move for Hillary to be in Iowa at the start of early voting.

royalan

I hope all of you have your social media accounts ready to fire tomorrow.

Correct the Record's not paying us all this money for nothin.

User1608

Banned
He did some decent things, and said some decent things.

Just goes to show how shitty all the candidates this year were. Not a single decent or likable individual in the bunch. The only one that even enters possible okay territory was Louise Graham.
Indeed, although personally I liked Kasich until I read up more on him. Still, +1 respect for his views on immigration and not bowing to the orange.

HylianTom

Banned
I hope all of you have your social media accounts ready to fire tomorrow.

Correct the Record's not paying us all this money for nothin.

I'm gonna be spittin' fire. Given the responses I'm seeing to the idea that it's not the moderator's job to fact-check, it seems like Twitter is already primed and ready.

User1608

Banned
Fucking bullshit that Trump may very well bs his way through more easily now. I know Hillary will do good but ugh.

*Too much fuckery already. It really does feel like the WWE, doesn't it?

Boke1879

I just saw this. Official video: https://twitter.com/brianstelter/status/780109296897884160

We're through the looking glass. Why even have a moderator then?

Well mods aren't supposed to fact check everything. They aren't supposed to sit there and say "that's not true" to everything because they candidates would be exposed to it.

This is what they should do. Take Trumps "stop and frisk" in black areas policy.

The mod could press him on that. Stating that the law was ruled unconstitutional in NY. Why are you in favor of a practice ruled unconstitutional?

Or. you want to implement this policy in our inne cities. Isn't that racial profiling? It's. It fact checking and Trump is forced to explain himself.

Joeytj

Banned
I just spent an hour trying to catch up to this morning's post. Ha, those new polls.

Hillary is down a bit mostly because she took the week off again, while not so great news in general dominated headlines. Proves again that Hillary just needs to get out there more and the first debate is the start of the home stretch.

But week ahead guys, brace yourselfs.

Also, some of you seemed worried about Hillary not going to Ohio yet, but her visits this week coincide with states that are already early voting., or about to. If you remember a Politico article from a while ago, it revealed that the Clinton campaign has clusters of states according to when they vote, a novelty for campaigns.

Ohio doesn't start early voting until the second week of October, if I remember correctly.

And I'm not that worried about Lester Holt not fact checking Trump all the time, mostly worried about the questions Trump will be asked. I hate it that Clinton gets asked these "why don't people like you" questions over and over again, but I don't think Holt will go in for those, mostly because most of these debates have indeed stuck to policy questions and not character questions.

I guess I take a sightly different view of fact checking the debates. I do not believe that's always the moderator's job. There are degrees of fact checking that I think are fine.

Holt: Mr. Trump, you said that wanted Second Amendment people to take care of Hillary. What did you mean by that?

Trump: I never said that.

Holt: Actually, you did say that on such and such date.

This is fine. This is what a moderator should do. This is why they're there. I don't consider this fact checking. What I'm not sure of is a moderator throwing themselves into the mix of the debate. Making themselves a second challenger for the other two people. Candy kinda did this in 2012.

It is the job of the media to fact check after the fact.

PBY

Banned
I guess I take a sightly different view of fact checking the debates. I do not believe that's always the moderator's job. There are degrees of fact checking that I think are fine.

This is fine. This is what a moderator should do. This is why they're there. I don't consider this fact checking. What I'm not sure of is a moderator throwing themselves into the mix of the debate. Making themselves a second challenger for the other two people. Candy kinda did this in 2012.

It is the job of the media to fact check after the fact.
This x100

Fucking bullshit that Trump may very well bs his way through more easily now. I know Hillary will do good but ugh.

*Too much fuckery already. It really does feel like the WWE, doesn't it?

On balance though I think there are a lot more instances where "fact-checking" is not appropriate for the moderator than when it is. If there is contention between the candidates on a basic, binary point of fact then I think the moderator should resolve it. But I understand not wanting to chime in on anything even marginally subjective, contextual or colored by ideology.

Edit: DAMMIT ADAM

User1608

Banned
On balance though I think there are a lot more instances where "fact-checking" is not appropriate for the moderator than when it is. If there is contention between the candidates on a basic, binary point of fact then I think the moderator should resolve it. But I understand not wanting to chime in on anything even marginally subjective, contextual or colored by ideology.

Edit: DAMMIT ADAM
Ah, okay, understand a lot better thanks to you and Adam. Should be interesting how it goes tomorrow. I guess even I was beginning to worry a bit.

You think it will be too early to tell after early voting or too early to tell now?

It's certainly early now, and looking at the results 2 weeks to a week before should give an indication as to where the race in NC stands, but it might be unclear even then.

Cedar Point is one of the few things that make Ohio not completely a waste.

Ohio has a few things that are world-class:
The Cleveland Symphony
The Cleveland Clinic
Cedar Point
Ice Cream

I'm not super-familiar with Ohio's peer-states of Indiana, Michigan or Pennsylvania, but I struggle to think of what any of them have that's considered world-class. Michigan has the HQ of the auto industry and Eminem I guess? PA is the world leader in Amish cuisine?

Last night I dreamt I shared spaghetti with Bernie on the pier. We laughed together like lovers do and I felt happy for once. The sunset was tremendous and bathed the world in soft orange light.

But suddenly, Ted Devine appeared and started shouting at Bernie. He called him a whore and said that there was only room for one man in his life, and that was him. Then he pointed accusingly at me and told me I was just a saboteur, trying to derail the revolution.

I was hurt. I asked Bernie if he loved me and he couldn't look me in the eye when he said "only a little". Ted laughed boastfully and continued his tirade against the man I had loved. Then Bernie got angry, my Bernie, who never gets angry, began screaming at Ted and they had a shouting match. I felt embarrassed. I didn't know what to do. Everything was wrong. Everything was so wrong.

I cried a little. Ted guffawed. Then Bernie stopped for a moment, dejectedly threw a pittance of $27 onto the table to cover the meal, and left with Ted, who held him by the waist.

I turned my ahead away so I didn't have to look. The sun was now just a faint line on the horizon, dim and without glory. Everything darkened. A chill swept over the pier.

And then it was dark.

--------------

My tears dropped one by one onto the table. I could not wipe them off because my hands were trembling. There was nothing left to live for. Suddenly, a whisper winded its way through the air.

"We need a lot of change here."

I looked up. I couldn't see who was speaking. There was no one left on the pier but me. Then, it spoke again, louder:

"There has got to be some change. There's gotta be change."

I felt angry. Of course I knew there had to be change. Couldn't the person, wherever he was, see how forlorn I was? Was my misery not obvious?

"People are hurting."

I guess it was.

"Who are you?" I shouted.

"I am the only one that can fix your problems," he replied.

"How can I trust you?" I asked.

"What the hell do you have to lose?"

My heart lept. I had lost everything. I really did have nothing left to lose.

"Are you really going to help me?"

"Oh, believe me. Believe me, I will."

Suddenly the world again was awash with blinding, beautiful light. Hope surged through my body. Believe him. Believe him, I thought.

I believe!

And over the horizon, rising again was a great, beautiful sun. So magnificent was it that I could feel it penetrate my whole body with its brilliance. I could barely look at it, and as I held my hands up to block the light, I finally saw.

RTSsZH.jpg

- a Huelen10 story

Ohio has a few things that are world-class:
The Cleveland Symphony
The Cleveland Clinic
Cedar Point
Ice Cream

I'm not super-familiar with Ohio's peer-states of Indiana, Michigan or Pennsylvania, but I struggle to think of what any of them have that's considered world-class. Michigan has the HQ of the auto industry and Eminem I guess? PA is the world leader in Amish cuisine?

Michigan is terrible. A mess. A big mistake. Sad!

Also, Ohio has me. So it's the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom