• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT11| Well this is exciting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vestal

I think Trump had probably just watched Blade.

dfbYc8r.jpg

Did not include entire image, since it can be deemed umm... Sexually explicit?

If I was Hillary and didn't want 3rd parties handing Trump the presidency, I'd do everything to stop them, too. Whether that stuff is sketchy or not, I dunno I'd have no idea what the right way to do that is.

Cyanity

Banned
I don't understand the vitriol toward the third party candidates in here. Every presidential cycle has them and they're not going away. At least Johnson and Stein aren't shitbag racist xenophobes like Trump.

I don't understand the vitriol toward the third party candidates in here. Every presidential cycle has them and they're not going away. At least Johnson and Stein aren't shitbag racist xenophobes like Trump.

What a standard to hold our Presidential candidates to. If third parties want to be taken seriously, maybe their Presidential candidates should actually be qualified for the position they are running for.

HylianTom

Banned

"Vitriol" is a bit strong; I hurl ridicule.

The mathematics around our electoral system's structure is simple. If a candidate doesn't understand this basic reality, he/she is simply not qualified.

Iolo

This is nothing compared to if Bloomberg had entered the race.

Colorado +6
Clinton 46, Trump 40, Johnson 6, Stein 2

Florida +2
Clinton 45, Trump 43, Johnson 3, Stein 1

North Carolina +2
Clinton 44, Trump 42, Johnson 7

Pennsylvania +6
Clinton 45, Trump 39, Johnson 6, Stein 2

Virginia +6
Clinton 46, Trump 40, Johnson 7, Stein 1

That hot, sweet ass hopium.

thebloo

It's two fold. Guys like Perot were not ridiculous. Stein and Johnson have been.
Second, Perot would have given the election to the likes of Bush, not Trump.

Neither third party candidate is qualified at all to be president, and yet both are being propped up by naive people as the saving grace of American democracy.

benjipwns

Banned
If I was Hillary and didn't want 3rd parties handing Trump the presidency, I'd do everything to stop them, too. Whether that stuff is sketchy or not, I dunno I'd have no idea what the right way to do that is.
I have no problem with it, it's not sketchy. Other than Hillary herself doesn't want to give them the benefit of mentioning them so it's left to the single creepiest person inside the Clinton circle in David Brock.

It's also fair game to respond to it I think. Everybody wins.

People are too caught up in the stagecraft of politics. Which I'm mostly just stating rather than actually having this be a response to the person I quoted. The people getting the vapors when Trump doesn't play the game "how it's supposed to be played" and whine about tone way more than they ever care about any actual content are the lowest form of pond scum.

Brian Bueler in the New Republic has a good piece on how all these Republican papers endorsing Clinton aren't really paragons of virtue but rather show the mendacity of these editorial boards in demonizing Clinton for partisan ends over the past 30 years.

https://newrepublic.com/article/137307/oh-now-youre-ok-hillary-clinton

These are apt and welcome admissions against ideological interest, motivated explicitly by Trump’s moral ugliness and unfitness for the presidency. But their timing is heavily suggestive of a lesson learned too late: that we should be faithful to reality in criticizing ideological foes and not tolerate others’ efforts to demean and slander them out of convenience.

These editorials, written by experienced conservative journalists, are implicit admissions that the overwhelming majority of horrifying, conspiratorial things conservatives and Republicans have said about Clinton over the years—from accusing her of murdering Vince Foster, to orchestrating and covering up the terrorist attacks in Benghazi, to endangering U.S. national security with her email setup—have been instrumentalist agitprop. Liberals have understood all along that Clinton’s depiction in right-wing circles is a grotesque caricature. But not everybody has been in on the scam. And it’s troubling that a true-to-life rendering only emerged now, six weeks before an election in which the very integrity of American democracy is at stake.

benjipwns

Banned
Guys like Perot were not ridiculous.
Are we thinking of the same Ross Perot? The one who dropped out of the race because he said George Bush was going to sabotage his daughters wedding with black ops CIA officers? And never actually picked a VP nominee forcing Admiral Stockdale, a real war hero unlike Johm McCain, to show up and debate on his own with no backing or information from Perot.

Neither third party candidate is qualified at all to be president
I don't know about that just from their past experience. Gary/Weld is two twice-elected blue state governors. Unless I'm forgetting somebody, neither major party has put up two Governors on a ticket since FDR/Garner.

Wait, Dewey/Warren probably.

I don't know about that just from their past experience. Gary/Weld is two twice-elected blue state governors. Unless I'm forgetting somebody, neither major party has put up two Governors on a ticket since FDR/Garner.

Wait, Dewey/Warren probably.

Johnson has shown no understanding of foreign policy, which is arguably the most important job of the president, considering it's the job he or she has the most freedom to pursue without congress.

I'd argue the holdouts in this election prove this is not the case.

Go browse Jill Steins Twitter feed.

These people are a large large minority of democratic voters and are mostly under 35 year olds.

The point stands as a criticism of the people on these boards and their liberal peers of similar age and standing. She's getting more democrats support than trump is getting in republicans

benjipwns

Banned
Jill Stein's polling isn't out of the ordinary. Johnson's the only one polling outsized by a significant amount compared to the past. Third parties by default tend to poll at 2-4% if they're actually included in polls during the summer. Stein's at ~3-4%. Same as she was in 2012 and McKinney was in 2008. Neither one cracked 0.5% iirc.

Johnson's 8% is more likely to translate to like 2% on election day. Stein should be well under 1%.
Johnson has shown no understanding of foreign policy, which is arguably the most important job of the president, considering it's the job he or she has the most freedom to pursue without congress.
Well, sure, he's no Ron Paul or Eisenhower but it's not like there's any other even mediocre standards abound.

benjipwns

Banned

Grief.exe

I don't have Wi-Fi :(

I was just agreeing with you.

She peddles in right wing conspiracy theories and anti-Hillary rhetoric.
I understand running a far left campaign, but these type of underhanded tactics lead me to believe that you are just after federal funding for your party and not bettering the country.

Jill Stein's polling isn't out of the ordinary. Johnson's the only one polling outsized by a significant amount compared to the past. Third parties by default tend to poll at 2-4% if they're actually included in polls during the summer. Stein's at ~3-4%. Same as she was in 2012 and McKinney was in 2008. Neither one cracked 0.5% iirc.

Johnson's 8% is more likely to translate to like 2% on election day. Stein should be well under 1%.

Well, sure, he's no Ron Paul or Eisenhower but it's not like there's any other even mediocre standards abound.

I'm under this belief as well that third party support is going to drop off a cliff in the next month.

It's historically higher than average at this point in the campaign, but traditionally they soak up undecided support in polls and that support tends to drop off a cliff after the first debate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom