• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT12| The last days of the Republic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
So there in way Reince makes it out of this alive right? I mean I bet the GOP wishes they had someone like the DWS to reign in the the crazies, sorry Bernie Bros :)

This is absolutely fascinating to watch.

Has this ever happened before? A party straight-up giving up on their Presidential nominee?

The GOP has moved further away from Trump than they ever did Goldwater. Of course, the high-water mark in party splits is still the southern Dems breaking away from the party entirely and winning five states under George Wallace.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Maybe along with the incoming news network/empire, Trump will divorce himself of the GOP (or they just kick him out), start his own party with the 'alt-right' plus the segment of the Republican base that supports him. Either that or the old establishment tries its own thing like Kristol tried to do.

Either way, seeing the real-time destruction/fissure of a major political institution is incredibly interesting.

Try as they might, but the GOP will be anchored to Trump, just by way of their actual supporters lol.

2teDjvS.png

#BasketOfDeplorables

That's still a 3-5% swing if it holds

Vyse24

Amazing how the GOP went from "We'll support the nominee regardless." to "Bye Felicia."

And to think there's one more debate after this one.

Boke1879

Amazing how the GOP went from "We'll support the nominee regardless." to "Bye Felicia."

Like I said. Depending on how tonight goes and clearly the fallout from the last two days. Trump attacking the GOP. I wonder if there will truly be a 3rd debate.

Quite frankly. I wonder how Fox new operates going forward. Clearly they are an arm of the GOP. Do they still stick with Trump or do they actually report on the civil war in a non biased manner?

Brinbe

Like I said. Depending on how tonight goes and clearly the fallout from the last two days. Trump attacking the GOP. I wonder if there will truly be a 3rd debate.

Quite frankly. I wonder how Fox new operates going forward. Clearly they are an arm of the GOP. Do they still stick with Trump or do they actually report on the civil war in a non biased manner?

Im starting to think that 3rd debate isnt happening

Bowdz

I'm still coming to terms with the magnitude of Trump's anti GOP tweets this morning. This situation is so much worse than the initial nightmare scenario the GOP had in the primary of Trump running as an independent. Now, Trump is the standard bearer of their party (something that they'll never live down) and they have the same result of him savaging the down ballot candidates.

This is simply unbelievable. So bad for the GOP in every regard.

Wilsongt

Lol.

They'll focus solely on Clinton and try not to talk much about Trump. Keep fucking those Benghazi, Email, foundation, and speech chickens.

Owzers

It's really gross the way Trump surrogates are trying to say Trump doesn't believe any of the things he's said in the past, that this campaign has changed him, when he's been saying trash for the entire campaign.

jbug617

Banned
GOP and RNC will go where the polls is. If Trump has a little bounce I bet you see some more people will hope back on that train.

KMS

Since Evan McMullin is on the ballot in Utah does that mean it's going blue this year? Has a real shot at it now.

GOP and RNC will go where the polls is. If Trump has a little bounce I bet you see some more people will hope back on that train.

It's far too late for Trump to get any sort of poll improvement. The worst that happens is the polls level out because we hit absolute bottom for Trump support and absolute max for Hillary support.

I wouldn't be surprised if the numbers are closer to upper 30s for Trump and low 50s for Hillary than both of them being in the 40s.

The conundrum is that their base is pretty much full of deplorable human beings, but they're going to lose right-leaning independents to other candidates.

The polls will widen in favor of Hillary, and as the GOP denounces Trump to try and save independents, their base of deplorables will get madder and madder. Add to that Trump's exhortations to his zombies to turn on the GOP leadership and we got a stew goin'.

Establishment Republicans like to pretend that the 'real' Trump has suddenly been revealed and that it's not their fault they supported him all this time. At least Trump supporters have the honesty to say "we knew damn well he was a snake when we voted for him".

It must drive Trump crazy because he's (broken clock) not wrong about Republicans saying similar things behind closed doors.

tuffy

There's a good argument that the GOP is abandoning Trump because it's obvious he's doomed. Quoth the mighty Wang:
I would argue that this weekend’s public blowback is triggered by a growing realization of what will happen on November 8th. After the first debate, it became obvious that Trump was going to lose the general election. Clinton’s bounceback is small, but by modern (i.e. post-1996) standards it looks large. There isn’t enough time for opinion to shift back (for instance, within my random diffusion assumption), especially given the natural setpoint of the race (my Bayesian prior that assumes regression to the mean). In other words, people’s intuitions started telling them that time had run out for Trump.

This was such a gross miscalculation on the GOP's part.

But then again, still supporting Trump would ruin them with swing voters so I understand the decision. There's no easy way out of this.

Yeah, over the long term those 75% of folks are going to vote Republican. The other quarter could be pushed to being independents or not vote at all. Even if they're numerically fewer the voters are more valuable to the GOP.

Wilsongt

CNN certainly knows their viewing audience. Colon cancer screenings, leaky bladder, language learning for old people, COPD commercial.

Since Evan McMullin is on the ballot in Utah does that mean it's going blue this year? Has a real shot at it now.
Living in Utah, I have absolutely no fucking clue what the vote share is going to look like this year. Whoever wins is going to do it with no more than 30% of the vote.

SexyFish

Banned
Oh dear GOD.

First set of debate questions will be about lewd Trump tape; Clinton to answer first
The 2005 tape with Trump’s vulgar comments about women will come up in the first segment of the debate Sunday night, CNN first reported on Sunday.

Hillary Clinton will get the first question in the second presidential debate, which will be co-hosted by CNN’s Anderson Cooper and ABC News’ Martha Raddatz. Both candidates will be asked to address the subject, though, CNN said, quoting an ABC source. Clinton won the coin toss, which is why she’ll field the first question. Clinton’s campaign had determined Saturday that she would wait until the debate to make her first comments on the subject.

Corto

Not going to happen. At this point they know pretty well that there will be more shit surfacing to throw on Trump. They want to get to a safe distance to avoid the splatter radius if possible.

Diablos

It's amazing how mad Amanda Carpenter is. She's like seething. I disagree with her politics but I hope she can calm down for the sake of her health.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom