• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT12| The last days of the Republic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veelk

Banned
One thing I'm surprised at is how many people think the two faced answer was weak on hillary's part.

Her reference to Lincoln is a valid one. Lincoln used different arguments to different people. That doesn't make him twofaced, but if he wanted to get things done, it's natural that you use different rhetoric, maybe even different reasoning, to convince different groups why it's in their best interest to do the thing that's obviously best for the country.

Trump meanwhile gave a nonanswer as usual.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I talked to someone recently who told me "Hillary leaked thousands of emails to ISIS".

Trump has a 50% chance of winning this IMO. I will not rest easy until he loses.

That was an awful, awful question because it took a line totally out of context and based a question on it. And her answer was just explaining the original context that it was in.

One thing I'm surprised at is how many people think the two faced answer was weak on hillary's part.

Her reference to Lincoln is a valid one. Lincoln used different arguments to different people. That doesn't make him twofaced, but if he wanted to get things done, it's natural that you use different rhetoric, maybe even different reasoning, to convince different groups why it's in their best interest to do the thing that's obviously best for the country.

She gave an honest answer, but people are so used to jabs that it is not enough anymore...

Sibylus

Banned
Right.

Taxes.

Saying he never sexually assaulted anyone.

What else did I miss? I know there was more.

Claiming he would absolutely put HRC in jail if he became president. He tried to hedge by saying he'd appoint a special prosecutor to investigate her, but his big mouth got the better of him when she opined that she was glad Donald wasn't in charge. His answer? "Because you'd be in jail." Gone the pretences of following the rule of law. He is the law.

He should be roasted for it.

PInk Tape

Banned
He literally said he was gonna jail Hillary based on nothing except his dumb bullshit beliefs, he did not give any concrete answers on his policies (which he does not have), and kept attacking Hil instead of giving good reasons on why people should vote for him (lol).

Trump proved tonight that he does not have the know-how or temperament to be president.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Posters are reacting to the optiks then proceed to complain that people only care about the optiks

More like we're cynical enough to know that people only care about optics, and know that's how it'll be reported, even though we hate it.

We're just posters on a video game message board. It not like any of use have a news show to actually shape the discussion, with exception of Ronan Farrow and Oblivion getting that one blog post on Maddow.

Amir0x

Banned

I think it was just the obviousness of the fact that the original reference wasn't about Abraham Lincoln. That's the answer she is using now and I don't think it is terrible, but that clearly wasn't what she was referencing with her first "private and public positions" comment. Still, it's so insignificant compared to the horrendous performance of Trump. Who thought it was attractive how he was attacking the moderators for bias? Whining about 25 seconds where the moderator called him a liar? Who thought it looked good that he was pacing and gripping the chair like a maniac? Who thought his comments on sexual assault were anything but horrendous? The fact that virtually all his answers were without any substance and most of the time not even on topic?

Ridiculous that anyone wants to die on the "equivalent performance" cross. It could not be any clearer how badly he did.

He just kept attacking and interrupting. Some people believe if you are attacking, you are automatically winning. This is untrue and not how debates work. He looked like a mental infant.

Trump's superpower is the ability to lower the level of discourse so far into the ground that nothing he does, no matter how reprehensible, is seen as objectionable. Easy to do "good" when the bottom of the curve doesn't exist anymore.

Strimei

Fun note, everyone was worried about Hillary's reaction to Trump's attacks on Bill, and the 4 women in the audience, and the whole segment lasted 5 minutes and didn't faze her

Yeah, I was happy with that. Talking with my parents, we all agreed she did well in not rising to the bait. Could've had a bit better answer, but she otherwise shot that thing down well.

Thinking on it, I'd upgrade Hillary from a C+ to a B- overall for the debate.

Tarydax

Banned
Agree.

There were several points that she could have bombed the fuck of him, but didn't.

Whenever he questioned her judgment, she should have brought up how his own party is abandoning him. But she didn't

When he ADMITTED to not paying taxes, she should have unleashed fury. But nope. She let him move on from that.

She should have pivoted the Deplorable question on pointing out the support Trump is getting from hate groups, but she ducked it entirely.

Hilary won on substance, but she should have been a lot more aggressive. She's STILL too concerned with not offending Republicans. She won't slam dunk a debate against Trump until she gets over that

ALL of this. The Kaine/Pence debate was one of the most frustrating things I've ever watched, but this one managed to be ten times that. She should have beat him into the ground when he called America stupid, or when he admitted to not paying taxes, but she didn't. The amount of missed opportunities is just staggering. I think she did better than Kaine, but that's really not saying much. She never got under his skin like before

She needs to stop treating Republicans like they're redeemable. These people support a racist-Islamophobic-misogynist who openly bragged about assaulting women. They really are a basket of deplorables. They're not capable of changing for the better and she knows it. Stop pretending that they're something that they're not.

She needed to tie Trump to his party, but at this point I think it's far too late for her to do that (even if her surrogates pick up the slack).

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
He literally said he was gonna jail Hillary based on nothing except his dumb bullshit beliefs, he did not give any concrete answers on his policies (which he does not have), and kept attacking Hil instead of giving good reasons why people should vote for him (lol).

Trump proved tonight that he does not have the know-how or temperament to be president.

Doesnt even matter that the FBI is lead by a Republican.

Bowdz

What struck me as a huge fuckup from Trump during the Trump tape segment was when Trump said categorically, when specifically questioned by Cooper, that he has never assaulted a woman like he described in the tape.

The Clinton campaign just needs to find one he did and they can catch the motherfucker in yet another lie.

Phased

Walked away from this feeling similar to how I did during the first debate. Hillary didn't win, but she didn't have to. She had to hold her own and not die onstage to lock the election up.

Trump isn't gonna change anyone's mind with this debate, he isn't gonna attract new voters. He needed to knock it out of the park to give people something else to talk about and try to reverse his campaign freefall and he didn't.

Congrats Hillary on the Presidency.

Joe

They could have 4 more of these debates before the election and it still wouldn't be enough for Trump to mount the biggest comeback in history.

Just like it was a month ago, this is Hillary's to lose - not Donald's to win. Even more so after this weekend.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Trump's superpower is the ability to lower the level of discourse so far into the ground that nothing he does, no matter how reprehensible, is seen as objectionable. Easy to do "good" when the bottom of the curve doesn't exist anymore.

The first 15 minutes were really thrown off by his bullshit and constant need to interject on everything.

Nothing to do with jabs. It was just an awkward way to answer the question.

But Trumps response made no sense. She was making a very different point that wasn't that hard to grasp. I guess she could have made it simpler... But at some point it's just easier to lie which honestly what I think she should have done. Which makes me hate myself... :)

She was sort of rambling and wasn't straight forward to follow. It's more of a delivery thing.

What struck me as a huge fuckup from Trump during the Trump tape segment was when Trump said categorically, when specifically questioned by Cooper, that he has never assaulted a woman like he described in the tape.

The Clinton campaign just needs to find one he did and they can catch the motherfucker in yet another lie.

Uhh, they've already found like 8.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Trump didn't collapse, but he was angry, condescending, rude, interrupting, etc. It was an awful experience to watch. Came off like a colossal jerk.

I talked to someone recently who told me "Hillary leaked thousands of emails to ISIS".

Trump has a 50% chance of winning this IMO. I will not rest easy until he loses.

I talked to someone recently who thinks that Equestria is a real place.

We have a 50% chance of unicorns coming to visit us in friendship via a dimensional rift IMO. I will not rest easy until they arrive.

Iolo

I think it was just the obviousness of the fact that the original reference wasn't about Abraham Lincoln. That's the answer she is using now and I don't think it is terrible, but that clearly wasn't what she was referencing with her first "private and public positions" comment.

So Hillary bringing up Spielberg's Lincoln may have sounded silly, but that's *literally* what she was talking about in the speech. #Debate

She wasn't just saying she was inspired by the movie in the abstract. She name drops Lincoln in the speech itself. 

https://twitter.com/carolinesiede/status/785299645308207104

sphagnum

Banned
Who gives a flying fuck about his base

I'm just saying it gives us a sign of how he will be perceived. If after the first debate even they were afraid, then we know he did horrible. If they think it's great, then the way the rest of the GOP voters think is probably less depressed than last time.

Basically I think he will have stopped the free fall for a few days unless another tape gets dropped.

Call to jail opponent via special prosecution + demand for surprise military attacks + incredulity that a senator can't easily change laws. It really seems like he's running for the position of a cartoonish monarch.

Alright, after a few minutes to take everything in I've internally calmed down. Still slightly annoyed at how she answered the wall street question, but overall this at worst was a wash and gave some juicy sound bytes to use against him. Time to distract myself for the next few hours with anime with no politics in it.

Trump didn't collapse, but he was angry, condescending, rude, interrupting, etc. It was an awful experience to watch. Came off like a colossal jerk.

James Carville is laying out what I think pretty well. The visual aspect of this debate is horrendous for him. A- for Clinton FFFF for Trump

kadotsu

Banned
My hot take: This has just cemented the status quo. Trump didn't die tonight but he did not repair any damage. He also went directly against the GOP establishment with the Pence line.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
The Lincoln comment would have been fine if Hillary had cleaned it up and made it concise, it would have been fine. She just botched it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom