• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT12| The last days of the Republic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another one is Pierre in South Dakota. The locals say "Peer," as in, "he is my peer," not "PE-AIR," and I was boggled beyond belief when I found this out.

Wacky place, South Dakota.

Tack on Lafayette County here in Mississippi. It's pronounced "La-FAY-ette" not "La-fee-YET". The local phrase is that La-fee-YET is a parish in Louisiana.

Unless you're talking about the high school. Then it's the shorter "La-FET" High School.

Holmes

It does seem like the New York state Republican party is paying for mailers in battleground states. Sad state of affairs.

I don't think they should delay.

A good portion of those affected won't be able to watch but power will be for a week or longer in some places.

I got one from them on my business line a month or so ago. They were smart enough to never call again after I cussed them out.

The ones I get are just a recording of Trump's loud, annoying voice. The only time I make it past 2 seconds is when I put him on speaker to torture my coworkers.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Better hope PoliGAF doesn't get their often stated wish of Cory Booker then

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/07/cory-booker-hillary-clinton-veep-newark-214030

He basically used Zuckerburg's 100 million to go all in on charters, and more or less wasted the money completely (and in the process, has set progress back on education funding back about 20+ years)

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/23/books/review/the-prize-by-dale-russakoff.html

Main reason I dont want him anywhere near the presidency.

Hot take: Mook thinks NC/NV/FL will be called before election day because they're already so far gone for Trump

giphy.gif

So Josh as the Josh Kraushaar just posed this question:

https://twitter.com/HotlineJosh/status/784110415412420608

Wanted to throw that to PoliGAF. I think in terms of chances, I'd say Ross > Bayh > Kander, with Ross and Bayh as slight favorites to win and Kander as a bit-less-than-50%.
In terms of candidate quality

Bayh > Kander > Ross (Kander is charismatic as hell but had to be introduced to the state, Bayh skipped that step)

In terms of likelihood of winning

Bayh > Ross > Kander (still think Bayh's got this)

Holmes

I do hope the Obama administration and the Clinton campaign get ahead of this hurricane for two reasons. One, to provide all the help that the people affected need, and two, to not let Trump politicize this and gain any ground that he's lost recently. For the future of our country.

Boke1879

I do hope the Obama administration and the Clinton campaign get ahead of this hurricane for two reasons. One, to provide all the help that the people affected need, and two, to not let Trump politicize this and gain any ground that he's lost recently. For the future of our country.

Remember when Trump did that photo op in Louisiana? That didn't move the needle for him.

I'm sure Obama is giving all the federal aide and help he can. The best Hillary can do is release a statement and mention at the debate.

Things like this won't help either candidate really.

thefro

should we be worried about Bayh?

I can't see Bayh only being up 1% if Trump is only up 5% in Indiana. He's running some quality TV ads and they're more positive than negative on balance. Young's running more negative stuff.

I've got the impression in the past that the Howey poll tries to make everything a toss-up.

Veelk

Banned

You'll know that he'll criticize Obama for not raindancing the hurricane away anyway, no matter what he does to mitigate the damage.

Unless Obama ends up like Katrina, this won't change the race at all.

I was wondering about Alaska as a possible swing state in the near future, but it has so few EVs, it hardly seems worth the effort for anyone to campaign way out there, so even if it was, technically, a tossup between the two candidates, they might not really make a big deal about it.

What are the politics of Alaska anyway? Like, demographics, regional breakdowns, etc... What are the conditions that let a Dem win there?

The "you don't trust women" line on abortion is pretty good. It takes advantage of the awkwardness of the pro-life position about women who choose abortion. It's obviously a nonsense response to a sincere pro-lifer - a law against abortion is no more untrusting of women than a law against murder is untrusting of everyone - but of course the pro-lifer can't make that analogy. They can't suggest that women who get abortions might deserve punishment. Instead they've got to deny that the women have agency - they're tricked or pressured into getting abortions - and "you don't trust women" highlights how infantilizing this is while placing the focus on the woman's choice.

This is a good post. I've always said that, if you want to be technical about it, the most logical position on abortion is to either allow them (good) or you ban them completely in all cases (rape/incest included), and you punish anyone who performs or receives one. Republicans always want to tow the "compassion" line with abortion so they make these exceptions, but those exceptions are blatantly inconsistent with their message.

If you grant that abortion is literally murder of a child, then how can you be okay with it just because the mother was raped? You can't logically be in favor of these exceptions unless you don't actually believe it's murder (Hint: They don't believe this, they just want to exercise that classic control over their wives and daughters).

Holmes

I will say that I trust what Mook says. He was the one that said they might not win Michigan about a week prior to the primary in a conference call (to donors, I believe). If they're feeling confident, on the other hand, it's because they have reason to be.

John HarwoodVerified account
‏@JohnJHarwood
Team Trump view of shortest path to 270: Romney states (though now behind in NC) + IA/OH/NV (now ahead) + FL/NH (behind) + ME 2. exactly 270

Good luck with that.

Bowdz

And November 9th. Seeing Morning Joe and O'Reilly and Hannity all sad, blaming the results of people who want "free stuff" again is going to be so worth the wait. They'll still be processing the consequences from this one.

I'm taking the 8th and the 9th off just to soak in all of the salt (or to prep the fallout shelter if the worst case scenario comes to pass).

Boke1879

It's amazing because at the VP debate that nobody watched or cared about didn't Pence say Trump never said any of that lol?

SexyFish

Banned
And November 9th. Seeing Morning Joe and O'Reilly and Hannity all sad, blaming the results of people who want "free stuff" again is going to be so worth the wait. They'll still be processing the consequences from this one.

Can we get another meltdown of everyone's favorite political strategist?

latest

kadotsu

Banned

It'll be all about the Senate, baby!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom