• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT12| The last days of the Republic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holmes

444k people joining the workforce is good - just not enough jobs were created to keep up so unemployment crept up. It is what it is.

Also can we also promptly retire the term nothingburger?

DAT sweet Rassss

White House Watch: Clinton Closes the Gap
The latest Rasmussen Reports White House Watch national telephone and online survey finds Clinton with 43% support among Likely U.S. Voters and Trump with 42%. Yesterday, Trump had a two-point lead, 43% to 41%. Libertarian nominee Gary Johnson picks up seven percent (7%) of the vote, while Green Party candidate Jill Stein has two percent (2%). Another two percent (2%) like some other candidate, and four percent (4%) are undecided.

It's not dreadful, consensus prediction was 171k though I believe.

156K vs 171K is a complete rounding error. After revisions the final number could be anywhere from 70 to 250K. Everything else points to slow but steady growth, just like we've seen for the last several years. Only big number is the 444K growth in the labor force.

I'm actually kinda shocked Trump flubbed a fucking soft ball pitch like last night.

This was literally set up to

1) Give him some type of prep, maybe disguise it so he doesn't figure out he's actually doing debate prep, like how you sneak in vegetables to a toddler.

2) Give him confidence for Sunday after doing such an amazing job answering pre-screened questions from a republican moderator and a pro-Trump crowd.

I also love how people are reaching into the "he's just lowering expectations... you know, like last time!" basket.

Anyways, this election is over. We're in the final month and Clinton isn't going to just disappear and let Trump regroup himself like the last time she had an 8+ point lead. This is about the Senate and House now, and racking up the national margin enough to get the House into play.

Considering we're at post-convention numbers after debate one, and Trump is about to enter a town hall format that allows himself to literally argue with the voting populace, well, who knows how high she can get.

CCS

Banned
156K vs 171K is a complete rounding error. After revisions the final number could be anywhere from 70 to 250K. Everything else points to slow but steady growth, just like we've seen for the last several years. Only big number is the 444K growth in the labor force.

Like I said, not dreadful. Just not particularly amazing either.

Ecotic

I really think we're one good debate performance away from breaking open into a high single digit race and putting the House back on the table. Maybe Democrats won't be favored, but could have a strong 30-40% chance if Hillary's ad push and surrogate advatange helps her finish strong.

I think I caught Hillary's plague. I think we have a symbiotic relationship where she has to take my life force in order to be healthy.

I give my life to Queen and country. I'm also dying.

Werk queen.

ASSS

CVk5WNs.gif

Larry Sabato's updated map:

UAaYvW.png

Seems okay, but I think Ohio is now a tossup, certainly it should be if Nevada is, and Florida polls are mostly close enough to make it a tossup. Also, I'm surprised that there haven't been any post-debate Iowa polls. Interested to see if things got closer there as they did in Ohio.

Holmes

I think I caught Hillary's plague. I think we have a symbiotic relationship where she has to take my life force in order to be healthy.

I give my life to Queen and country. I'm also dying.

Werk queen.
There's a bug going around and it's called Rolaksatox.

I really think we're one good debate performance away from breaking open into a high single digit race and putting the House back on the table. Maybe Democrats won't be favored, but could have a strong 30-40% chance if Hillary's ad push and surrogate advatange helps her finish strong.
I agree. And even in the unlikely event the town hall is a draw, the foreign policy debate gives us another bite at the apple. I keep going back to Trump's insane meeting with the New York daily news editorial board. Get him blathering about foreign policy and he's worse than Gary Johnson. And add on the fact that losing three debates in a row to a dead woman is uniquely bad for Trump's message of strength through winning, and this thing could still turn into a rout that puts the House in play.

thefro

Letterman goes in hard on Trump in interview with the non-failing NYT

David Letterman said:
I’ve known Donald Trump for a long time and I always thought he was exactly what New York City needed to have: the big, blowhard billionaire. “By God, I’m Donald Trump and I date models and I put up buildings, and everything is gold.” Nobody took him seriously, and people loved him when he would come on the show. I would make fun of his hair, I would call him a slumlord, I would make fun of his ties. And he could just take a punch like nothing. He was the perfect guest.

So now, he decides he’s running for president. And right out of the box, he goes after immigrants and how they’re drug dealers and they’re rapists. And everybody swallows hard. And they think, oh, well, somebody’ll take him aside and say, “Don, don’t do that.” But it didn’t happen. And then, I can remember him doing an impression, behind a podium, of a reporter for The New York Times who has a congenital disorder. And then I thought, if this was somebody else — if this was a member of your family or a next-door neighbor, a guy at work — you would immediately distance yourself from that person. And that’s what I thought would happen. Because if you can do that in a national forum, that says to me that you are a damaged human being. If you can do that, and not apologize, you’re a person to be shunned.

I kept telling people he will absolutely not get elected. And then David Brooks said he’ll get the nomination and he will be crushed in the general election. And I thought: Yeah, that’s exactly what’s going to happen. I stand by that. The thing about Trumpy was, I think people just were amused enough about him to keep him afloat in the polls, because nobody wanted the circus to pull up and leave town.

David Letterman said:
If I had a show, I would have gone right after him. I would have said something like, “Hey, nice to see you. Now, let me ask you: what gives you the right to make fun of a human who is less fortunate, physically, than you are?” And maybe that’s where it would have ended. Because I don’t know anything about politics. I don’t know anything about trade agreements. I don’t know anything about China devaluing the yuan. But if you see somebody who’s not behaving like any other human you’ve known, that means something. They need an appointment with a psychiatrist. They need a diagnosis and they need a prescription.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom