• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT12| The last days of the Republic

Status
Not open for further replies.

What other high profile thing is Russia pissed off about this year other than Hillary? Oh yeah they're doping cheats at the Olympics. Shocker! they altered docs on both of those issues.

Edit: Also from that Letterman interview:

But if you see somebody who’s not behaving like any other human you’ve known, that means something. They need an appointment with a psychiatrist. They need a diagnosis and they need a prescription.

teiresias

Hnnnnng....

@DanPfeiffer:

ClintonPun.jpg

Is that one of her pantsuits hanging to dry in the background?

Iolo

So Clinton knows where Adam lives.

neogaf.com

I think Trump might have higher expectations on Sunday for the second debate. In the first debate, the narrative was that he was surging in the polls, and he just had to stay coherent and the media would have slobbered all over him. But now, he is on defense and has to reverse his slide in the polls, and he has to undo the damage to his temperament in the first debate.

"Nobody took him seriously"

That seems to be the truth, throughout his career. Even bankers thought he was an idiot and only allowed him to survive financially because he was a good self promoter. He was considered useless otherwise.

Conservatives are such easy marks.

Emarv

neogaf.com

I think Trump might have higher expectations on Sunday for the second debate. In the first debate, the narrative was that he was surging in the polls, and he just had to stay coherent and the media would have slobbered all over him. But now, he is on defense and has to reverse his slide in the polls, and he has to undo the damage to his temperament in the first debate.

This is correct. He has way more work to do than her and a "Trump doesn't implode" scenario isn't a win for him when he know Hillary will do great, too.

The thing I kept hearing about Trump from independents after the first debate wasn't about him yelling or talking about Rosie. It was that he never sounded like he knew what he was talking about. No real answers. No matter what temperament he has on Sunday, he still won't have answers or sound like he knows anything about regular American issues.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Work is fun this morning. Whichever idiot is responsible for last night's Sterling flash crash is a pain in the neck.

On the plus side, not long until another debate. God I'm excited :p

Oh thank god I don't work in regulatory management anymore.

The regulators are all gonna call everyone and try to get educated on electronic trading again.

I remember after Knight Capital I couldn't get them to understand why a Series 24 hadn't overseen the creation of black box algos.

TIL that there is a Waffle House Index, used by FEMA to rate how badly an area is hit.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waffle_House_Index

I heard about that on NPR back around Sandy. It's fascinating. If you want to hear more you should look for that story. I remember them talking about how sophisticated their crisis team is. They have emergency menus and hurricane operations manuals. I also heard an interview with the head of FEMA who came up with the index where he talked about it.

Basically if the Waffle House is closed, shit has gone down.

Their last poll was Clinton +7. Wetting the bed now.

Not that it really matters but I believe there are two MC polls: one that Politico commissioned (which is the +7 poll) and MC's own tracking poll that has been +1 to +3 for a while.

Not sure which one this was but it has a sample of 2000 RVs.

StoOgE

Not that it really matters but I believe there are two MC polls: one that Politico commissioned (which is the +7 poll) and MC's own tracking poll that has been +1 to +3 for a while.

Not sure which one this was but it has a sample of 2000 RVs.

Schrodinger's Diablosing

CCS

Banned
Oh thank god I don't work in regulatory management anymore.

The regulators are all gonna call everyone and try to get educated on electronic trading again.

I remember after Knight Capital I couldn't get them to understand why a Series 24 hadn't overseen the creation of black box algos.

Truly I picked a fun week for my first proper week of work at a regulator. Between this and Theresa May determinedly trying to drive markets off a cliff... :p

HylianTom

Banned
At this point, I'm watching Senate races. And praying that Sam Wang is right about these races tilting with the top of the ticket in the closing weeks.

I hope Hillary smashes Trumpy on Sunday night, if only to make North Carolina, New Hampshire, Indiana, and Pennsylvania, and Nevada more probable. It'd suck to only have the Senate until the 2017 special election for Kaine's seat in Virginia.

If we only had a teeny-tiny window for appointment confirmations, Charles Schumer would resemble Chris Farley's Newt impersonation from 1995, hurrying everything through while he can..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4nnMEXs0m4

Democrats expected to sue Rick Scott over voter registration deadline
Rick Hasen‏ @rickhasen
1/ The hurricane, if it is as bad as predicted, will be a human tragedy. But talk will quickly turn to
Rick Hasen‏ @rickhasen
2/ First, displaced Floridians who have not registered will want to register, and if FL officials don't extend deadlines, Dems will sue
Rick Hasen‏ @rickhasen
3/ Displaced Floridians will want to vote absentee,but absentee ballots that were mailed won't be available for some, creating complications
Rick Hasen‏ @rickhasen
4/ Other Floridians will look to state to insure polling stations are up and running for those who are back, a big challenge in some areas
Also
Michael McDonald‏ @ElectProject
Partial legal solution to Scott refusing to extend FL voter reg deadline: 3rd party orgs can deliver completed forms when office next opens

StoOgE

Truly I picked a fun week for my first proper week of work at a regulator. Between this and Theresa May determinedly trying to drive markets off a cliff... :p

I worked at FINRA for a while in Market Regulation in the US. The people who work at regulators come in four varieties:

1) The real true believers who think they are Elliott Ness taking out the mob and are way too hardcore.

2) Those too stupid to ever get a job paying more money at a private firm

3) Those too lazy to ever get a job paying more money at a private firm

4) Those putting in 2-3 years on their resume to get more money at a private firm.

I was at Deutsche and Goldman in Regulatory management, but in both instances 90% of the work for EMEA was handled in those regional offices. I was technically in charge of the London office, but the head of that department was super good so she handled most of the actual dealings. European regulators seemed to fall a bit harder into category 1 than they did int he US.

David Letterman just dropped a bomb on Trump

CuK53AQWAAEtkWN.jpg
A bomb?

That's nothing.

If anything it made me think less of Letterman. Ignores his racism on the 80s and birtherism (he only cares now hes running for president and can hurt Letterman)

Plus he reads and takes David Brooks seriously

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom