• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT12| The last days of the Republic

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnsmith

remember me
His punditry sucks and his model is showing itself as hypersensitive and pointless. The race was not a DEAD HEAT a little over a week ago to being a near 80% chance of her winning.
That is just stupid. That is not a forecast.

Can't untrash.

I calls em like I sees em.

You're a straight shooter, respected on both sides.

How is Issa doing

Issa's district went from Romney +6 to Obama +2 in the re-drawing.

Issa's district is polling Clinton +5 last I saw.

Internal Polling for his challenger showed a close race in early August with a lot of undecided voters.

Issa vocally supports Trump and Trump is not seen favorably in his district.

I don't know if it's going to happen but there's a solid chance he could lose!

Anyway, back from my mini-vacation. Back to see GAF has returned to its non-panic state

I saw the debate yesterday. I feel like it accomplished nothing for the Trump campaign.

Holmes

I think I realized what grossed me out most about Pence last night. It's one thing to hear all the shit from Trump himself, but to have his top minion go on national TV and try to defend the campaign, feign outrage at the things Trump has said and done and outright lie, saying those things never happened was downright ugly.

Poeton

I imagine pence would give the concession speech in that scenario.

This is the more likely scenario but Trump will probably go on for years, annoyingly, that he never conceded.

What's the over-under on how long it takes him to start attacking his running-mate?

As Olbermann said yesterday, refusing to accept the results of the election would be the most un-American thing any Presidential candidate has ever done in US history. I'm not sure anyone can survive something so absolutely horrendous, even Trump. As long as the election is not close ala Bush/Gore I think he will concede, or at least have Pence do it for him.

Aaron Burr and Thomas Jefferson did definitely more un-American things while running for president.

Woodrow Wilson in 1916 and Richard Nixon in 1972 were also worse.

I think I realized what grossed me out most about Pence last night. It's one thing to hear all the shit from Trump himself, but to have his top minion go on national TV and try to defend the campaign, feign outrage at the things Trump has said and done and outright lie, saying those things never happened was downright ugly.

Pence continuing to say how the Clinton campaign is an "insult driven campaign" while pretending theirs was pure bothered me a good amount. I don't really get how directly quoting someone is an insult either.

Boke1879

Live in Illinois and just got my form to fill out if I want to mail in my ballot. Haven't looked it up but it seems to be a statewide thing. Personally I think that should be nationwide honestly.

I think most Oppo research just consists of Google.

Otherwise, the Dems would have investigated, found, and released the names of the Republicans that knew that Hastert was a rapist and did nothing.

So, while I was in Vegas, I convinced someone who was a Trump supporter to switch over to Hillary.

Now, they weren't some hardcore supporter who was shown the light. She supported Trump months ago and has slowly been horrified by him. She said she was waffling. So I came in a sealed the deal for the Queen. And I'm fairly certain she'll vote for her or at the least not vote for Trump in Nevada, which is a win.

So if Hillary wins by 1 vote, I am expecting massive propping of me onto a high horse coming. Just sayin'.

Boris quoting LATimes, UPI and Rasssss and ignoring all the others.

Halperin: "Lot of faith in the UPI poll. Didn't know UPI still existed."

LOL

Teggy

Today's best tweet?

Matt Katz ‏@mattkatz00 2h2 hours ago
Did county politician in #Jersey really call Christie a "fat fuck"?
No! He tells @WNYC that he called gov a "fat motherfucker." #Bridgegate

Jeels

So, while I was in Vegas, I convinced someone who was a Trump supporter to switch over to Hillary.

Now, they weren't some hardcore supporter who was shown the light. She supported Trump months ago and has slowly been horrified by him. She said she was waffling. So I came in a sealed the deal for the Queen. And I'm fairly certain she'll vote for her or at the least not vote for Trump in Nevada, which is a win.

So if Hillary wins by 1 vote, I am expecting massive propping of me onto a high horse coming. Just sayin'.

What did you say to convince her/put her over the edge?

Retro

I've long said.. the night of November 8th is going to make a lot of people snap. The unthinkable (well, to them) is going to happen.

I can see this happening as well; Obama surely pissed a lot of people off, but they weren't quite so.... inspired by McCain and Romney as they are for Trump, who's already incited them to violence and spends most of his time whipping them up.

I wouldn't be surprised if there's random violence targeting non-whites, especially in rural areas. Can't imagine there will be riots in any major urban areas considering they're likely to go Democrat, even in deep red states.

I'm glad I live in a solid blue East Coast state and area, that's for sure.

For what I think is the first time, Sam Wang has Dems winning Senate seats in NC, NH, and PA all at the time same time. (NC and PA barely)

Ashodin

HI guys I signed up to vote a week ago! I hadn't since I moved to NC earlier. But I'm ready for this fight. She needs to slaughter hate with this election!

I used to get my haircut at a place next to some kind of glass installation business. There was always a big white van in the parking lot with republican political signage all over it. I remember seeing a sign in 2012 that said "If OBAMA is what America wants then the soul of this country is dead."

I think about that a lot.

What did you say to convince her/put her over the edge?

There wasn't any one thing in particular, but if anything seemed to resonate most, it was that I hammered how little Trump understands about foreign policy and he'd have nuclear warheads at his disposal. Follow that up with Trump's taxes and the NYT revelation Sat night.

Make this simple. College educated white voter in her 50s from an affluent household in vegas suburbs. She believes Obama hasn't been very good for the economy but she doesn't dislike him or think of him in a negative way. The general feel I get is that she thinks the economy and other things should have gotten a lot better by now but that it hasn't, and Obama is President so it falls on him.

I didn't spend any time trying to defend Obama, I figured it wouldn't do anything.

This voter expressed heavy concerns about Trump. She initially supported because Trump is such a good businessman and not like other politicians. But as time has gone on, she has been appalled by the things he's been saying, specifically in terms of women and minorities. In additions, she expected actual plans for the economy and things like terrorism already.

As much as I'd like to take credit, I think debate really swung her vote. She said he clearly lost, he ignored questions and gave no plans (even mentioned about police race relations as a non-answer which she thought was absurd), acted disgusting. For Hillary, she doesn't like Hillary...but she said Hillary looked good up there, Presidential.

All I did was hammer home that Trump has no actual plans (besides build a wall). I explained how incompetent he is and how nonsensical his few ideas have been. Then I just brought up the nuclear stuff and foreign policy stuff which she said scared her a lot. I discussed the new tax story (which she also found appalling) and I told her about Trump's charity bullshit versus Hillary's (I countered her claim with "but I heard she got money from Saudi Arabia for access with the fact that there is no evidence, her charity is higher rated than the red cross, and all that money went to pay for AIDS medication).

Anyway she told me "every day I see myself more and more voting for Hillary." She told me I really helped her and that she didn't think she could see herself actually voting for Trump, anymore.

She's the target demographic of the Clinton campaign. I'm just doing the Queen's work.

edit: Also, her kids are very anti-trump and have been in her ear (millenials!)

I can see this happening as well; Obama surely pissed a lot of people off, but they weren't quite so.... inspired by McCain and Romney as they are for Trump, who's already incited them to violence and spends most of his time whipping them up.

I wouldn't be surprised if there's random violence targeting non-whites, especially in rural areas. Can't imagine there will be riots in any major urban areas considering they're likely to go Democrat, even in deep red states.

I'm glad I live in a solid blue East Coast state and area, that's for sure.

I'm very white, but been a very vocal anti-Trumper in my tiny Kansas community. My outlook on Kansas is that I'm not going to flip anyone to hillary, but I can try to make them waffle on Trump.

If Trump loses I bet a few to be sore about it, but not to hold a grudge with me personally. If he wins there's no guarantee we all don't end up on some kind of watchlist.

Iowa Update (Dems were also at 64% yesterday):

@IAStartingLine
Today's updated Iowa early vote:

Voted:
Ds: 30,856
Rs: 13,528
NPs: 9,250

Requested absentee:
Ds: 101,041
Rs: 59,464
NPs: 43,664

@IAStartingLine
Republicans jumped 10,000 requests in one day today. Compared to this point in 2012:
Ds: 65%
Rs: 79%
NPs: 70%

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
So this surprised me. CNN polling after each VP debate

2016: 48 Pence / 42 Kaine
2012: 48 Ryan / 44 Biden
2008: 51 Biden / 36 Palin

Check out 2012. That's not how I remember the narrative being.

I do. Analysis was that Ryan was better, and the reason people gave was because Biden kept interrupting and making faces. Exactly like last night.

I still can't believe what Bill said about Obamacare. Such stupid mistakes he makes.

Except Bill wasn't wrong. Appealing to the self-employed and middle-class who were screwed over by the ACA's high rates isn't a bad idea at this point. He's not saying get rid of it--just that it needs work. It absolutely needs work. My in-laws are middle-class self-employed and are paying over 10 times as much right now as they used to.

Paskil

My Facebook hot take on the debate.

My assessment was that Kaine lost the debate but the Clinton campaign won the debate. Pence is one of their only sane and rational voices and by interrupting constantly and not allowing Pence to build a narrative, Kaine destroyed one of the only shots the Trump campaign had to fight for undecided voters. I fully expect the town hall on Sunday to be an absolute shit show.

Boke1879

Isn't Obamacare not as good as it could be because Republicans cut off its legs?

The thing about legislation as big as Obamacare is that it's supposed to constantly be improved and revised. You see what works and doesn't work. It's a good first step, but needs improvements.

With congress refusing to move forward shit has just stagnated.

The California Senate race is the least interesting race of all.

Not because it is two Dems.

Harris won the primary with over 50% of the vote? How is she going to lose? If every Republican voted Sanchez, Harris still would have won. No way the GE voters are going to be any different.

Harris is the biggest lock in forever

My Facebook hot take on the debate.

I went for "funny" with mine:

Interesting Veep debate.
Tim Kaine ran out there after three red bulls shouting at everyone, Mike Pence meanwhile tried the "My candidate didn't say the things he's on record saying." approach to politics. Better known as the "lying my ass off and hoping no one checks." strategy.

Clinton's Obamacare argument was literally the same argument I've been making on GAF for years.

The biggest flaw is with people at or near the subsidy line and those over it but not actually wealthy. That and the SCOTUS created medicaid-gap

Like, I've defended the ACA a shit ton, but have conceded that part is flawed (and it is not the only flaw!).

Clinton made no gaffe. His wife's position is that the ACA needs some revisions! That's what Bill is arguing!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom