• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT12| The last days of the Republic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Clinton's Obamacare argument was literally the same argument I've been making on GAF for years.

The biggest flaw is with people at or near the subsidy line and those over it but not actually wealthy. That and the SCOTUS created medicaid-gap

Like, I've defended the ACA a shit ton, but have conceded that part is flawed (and it is not the only flaw!).

Clinton made no gaffe. His wife's position is that the ACA needs some revisions! That's what Bill is arguing!

Exactly, and that's the right position to have. Bill did nothing wrong.

Patrick Klepek

furiously molesting tim burton
I'm glad it did, for the mountains of video ammunition it gave HRC to use in commercials.

Yeah, it helps, but how many people change their vote based on an ad featuring a VP? Doubtful. Again, it helps reinforce some pre-existing narratives, but basically a wash. That's a win for Clinton, even if Kaine barely kept himself together.

Zukkoyaki

Looks like last PPP poll had Trump +4, so probably still underwater in SUSA, but good trendz
nate_silver4.jpg

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
So enough voters in Maine-2 and Ohio have decided to come to their goddamn senses, Iowa next.

I think it's basically voters realizing that Clinton is not that bad more than Trump continuing to be a piece of shit. I'm sure her debate performance helped that.

KyroLen

Neo Member
I'm in Maine, and though there are def Trump signs, I do notice that quite frequently someone will have the senator or representative for republican signs in their yard without a Trump sign as well.

Also Hillary signs were nonexistent for a while, but I see a sea of blue signs everywhere now.

I think it's basically voters realizing that Clinton is not that bad more than Trump continuing to be a piece of shit. I'm sure her debate performance helped that.
I almost think it's the opposite, or at least both. Like, we know Trump is batshit because we're nerds who follow the day-to-day minutia of politics. Most people don't. I'm willing to bet the debate was the first real exposure to Trump's insanity for a lot of swing voters.

Although yes, Clinton did pretty well in her own right coming off as presidential and competent. On the whole though I think Clinton's boost mostly came from people who weren't sure about the viability of each option only to realize Trump is worse by miles.

The California Senate race is the least interesting race of all.

Not because it is two Dems.

Harris won the primary with over 50% of the vote? How is she going to lose? If every Republican voted Sanchez, Harris still would have won. No way the GE voters are going to be any different.

Harris is the biggest lock in forever
Legends only.

I imagine a world where I can take a blunt break working my 9 to 5. It's beautiful.

The same way people enjoyed getting their "shot and a beer" break when Prohibition was repealed! Because if there's one things employers are real cool about, it's employees getting intoxicated during work hours.

Jesse WattersVerified account
‏@jessebwatters
As a political humorist, the Chinatown segment was intended to be a light piece, as all Watters World segments are.

Jesse WattersVerified account
‏@jessebwatters
My man-on-the-street interviews are meant to be taken as tongue-in-cheek and I regret if anyone found offense.

O'Reilly gonna lose it.

jiggle

Hard to really tell when it comes to Congressional elections but Issa is threatening to sue his opponent over his ads, so that might tell you something.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/us-politics/sd-me-issa-ads-20161004-story.html

Issa's district went from Romney +6 to Obama +2 in the re-drawing.

Issa's district is polling Clinton +5 last I saw.

Internal Polling for his challenger showed a close race in early August with a lot of undecided voters.

Issa vocally supports Trump and Trump is not seen favorably in his district.

I don't know if it's going to happen but there's a solid chance he could lose!

If there's one thing that makes up for Marcobot winning...

Something interesting that I think makes sense: Alaska is now basically tied with Georgia for chances of a Hillary win (22.8% AK, 22.9% GA) in the polls-plus model. That's higher than any other currently red state except Arizona (38.9%) and Iowa (49%). Are we sleeping on Alaska?

(Maybe.)

Something interesting that I think makes sense: Alaska is now basically tied with Georgia for chances of a Hillary win (22.8% AK, 22.9% GA) in the polls-plus model. That's higher than any other currently red state except Arizona (38.9%) and Iowa (49%). Are we sleeping on Alaska?

(Maybe.)

Gary Johnson's performance would seem to be key here.

(Maybe.)
A democrat could probably win Alaska (or at least make some headway) with a very strong campaign to turn out natives. Look at how close Begich came to holding on.

Depending on what Walker does in 2018 it might be worthwhile to invest in a strong Dem candidate here.

Trump also saw a significant decrease with Florida’s Latino voters in this week’s poll, which was conducted days after the first presidential debate. The pre-debate NLV poll had Trump with 29.3% of Latino support in Florida. The post-debate poll now has Trump at 17.6%. Meanwhile, Clinton’s support jumped from 58.3% to 76.5%.

Devastating numbers. Florida will be called a lot earlier on election even than usual. I still believe it won't be as close as some other states like Ohio, Iowa, and maybe even Georgia and Zona.

oh man

http://latinousa.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/Slide11.png[IMG]

[IMG]http://latinousa.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/Slide10.png[/MG]

[url]http://latinousa.org/2016/10/05/national-post-debate-tracking-poll-latino-voters-clinton-83-support/[/url]

OH MY GOD, FLORIDA ONLY:

[IMG]http://latinousa.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/Slide14.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

The other latino poll isn't showing such a high support, wonder if it's the start of something.

I suspect we'll start to see more of this:

@DrewLinzer
Update since last month: People choosing Other or Undecided on national presidential polls is falling, but still 6-8% more than '08 and '12

CuCalioVYAAYF77.jpg:large

Two #hottakes here about this election and beyond:

1. Due to a combination of polls under-representing ethnic minorities and Clinton's ground game vs. Trump's total lack thereof, Clinton ends up winning by a full 2.5% more than the aggregate of the national polls. She's up five to six percent in the polls right now, but I am absolutely certain that she's actually up by about eight percent.

2. The 2020 cycle will see Democrats start with 288 EVs already in likely/lean blue states. This is even calling states like NH and Michigan battleground tossups. Look at the map! Virginia is now blue. I think NV is going to be proven to be a likely blue state when Clinton wins it by five or so and everyone realizes that Latinos were undersampled in like every poll of the state.

We're so polarized as a country that naturally, there SHOULD be fewer battleground states due to polarization! Too many polling or news organizations start with maps that indicate too many initial battleground states for the level of political and cultural polarization. Barring some sort of shift that I can't imagine happening inside of the next four years, I only have AZ, MI, OH, NC, NH, and GA as actual battlegrounds in 2020 - and yeah, I think Florida is all but lost to the GOP at this point. The party's not got the guts to ditch the white nationalists, so Latinos will continue to vote Democratic at the national level until there is some sort of seismic shift in whom the GOP decides to court.

This is how you do it
Dear god please tell me it's the new positive ad she has on. Otherwise that's just freaking terrible and inhumane. There'd be zero trying to defend that.

The hopium of the past few days is being snuffed out by this stupid hurricane. On one hand, it's trying its hardest to point exactly at Trump's FL golf resort. Unfortunately there are several million people in the same area, so no schadenfreude allowed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom