• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT13| For Queen and Country

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veelk

Banned
I'd love to be able to take the high road and win, but right now the GOP effectively owns the lower chamber of the legislative body of the federal government by virtue of engaging in deeply ethically dubious bullshit, so... there's a time and a place, is what I'm saying. Fight dirty today so we can fight again tomorrow.

I get you and would even agree if I had any reason to believe it could work. I don't see demoralization working, and it even has a significant chance of backfiring. "I can't just sit by as my party is led by this immoral scumbag, we have to vote in the right people!"

But it's not really about convincing people to dislike him or dislike the Republican down ticket candidates, it's about demoralizing them to the point they just stay home on election day. You're not going to sway hearts and minds by exposing yet more terrible Trump scandals, but you might just dishearten them to the point they decide it's not worth the gas it'd take to drive to their polling place.

Eh, hyper-polarization doesn't work this way.

First off, there are many races where there literally isn't an opponent running. Secondly, we already have a problem with 2/3 of the voting population not voting. A completely demoralized GOP is a huge chunk of the country that no longer believes in Democracy. Many war-torn African nations work like that.

More to the point, you've got a large portion of the GOP that just doesn't view a Democrat as legitimate, in any form or fashion. This is a larger issue than simply disagreements over marginal tax rates and social safety net spending. In many cases we inhabit entirely different worlds when it comes to objective reality and observable facts. You can run a ham sandwich with an R next to its name on the ballot, and still win in many 75-25% districts

Chichikov

time to take out your world's smallest violin again

headline on breitbart

SP1w6y.png
It's like they want him to un-endorse Trump so they can further their backstab narrative.

I know Hannity often goes off on Gingrich's "contract with America", and since he's basically Trump's policy writer now, I bet it's something similar.

I love how Hannity and O'reilly constantly try to throw Trump softballs and Trump misses every one of them. Hannity just serves up the contract for america line and Trump was having none of it.

"And the angel of the lord came unto me, snatching me up from my place of slumber.
And took me on high, and higher still until we moved to the spaces betwixt the air itself.
And he brought me into a vast farmlands of our own Midwest.
And as we descended, cries of impending doom rose from the soil.
One thousand, nay a million voices full of fear. And terror possessed me then

And I begged, "Angel of the Lord, what are these tortured screams?"

And the angel said unto me, "These are the cries of the carrots, the cries of the carrots!
You see, Reverend Rudy, tomorrow is harvest day and to them it is the holocaust."

And I sprang from my slumber drenched in sweat like the tears of one million terrified brothers and roared,
"Hear me now, I have seen the light! They have a consciousness, they have a life, they have a soul! Damn you!
Let the rabbits wear glasses! Save our brothers!"

Can I get an amen? Can I get a hallelujah? Thank you Jesus"

Tubie

I just saw the Al Smith diner thing and damn, Trump started ok, but then he went into crazy inappropriate town. You could tell he made everyone there super uncomfortable. I'm willing to bet the last 10 minutes of his speech he wrote himself, and that's why he bombed so hard.

Hillary was so damn funny, some jokes might've been a bit too much tho. Her speech ended on a positive note at least, and none of the jokes were mean spirited campaign stump speeches, like trumps last half.

"And the angel of the lord came unto me, snatching me up from my place of slumber.
And took me on high, and higher still until we moved to the spaces betwixt the air itself.
And he brought me into a vast farmlands of our own Midwest.
And as we descended, cries of impending doom rose from the soil.
One thousand, nay a million voices full of fear. And terror possessed me then

And I begged, "Angel of the Lord, what are these tortured screams?"

And the angel said unto me, "These are the cries of the carrots, the cries of the carrots!
You see, Reverend Rudy, tomorrow is harvest day and to them it is the holocaust."

And I sprang from my slumber drenched in sweat like the tears of one million terrified brothers and roared,
"Hear me now, I have seen the light! They have a consciousness, they have a life, they have a soul! Damn you!
Let the rabbits wear glasses! Save our brothers!"

Can I get an amen? Can I get a hallelujah? Thank you Jesus"
Life feeds on life.

Gettysburg? There was no one in his campaign that thought that wouldn't be a little... goofy to use, considering the trajectory of things right now? Oh, wait, no, he'll say he's fighting as the North for the ethical high ground, but that's in start contrast to the entirely real and massive racism of the campaign and many of his supporters. "Lincoln said we had to stop aggression here!" or something terrible, although I don't think he ever said such a thing.

Completely different topic, but I noticed on the internet outages map today that the only place outside western europe and the US was Israel. That's a massive red flag on who might be responsible. That really wouldn't be a direct Russia or China thing to do.
One word: Gamergate
I was wrong to be content that the levels of bullying and disruption on twitter and via brigading had stabilized in winter 2015. So wrong.
Is there a hard right site, that isn't bigoted as fuck?
Red State and The Blaze are marginally less awful.

Necrovex

Question for Floridans: Sent my ballot in weeks ago. I recently heard if I didn't sign the envelope, my ballot would be discounted. Is this true? This is why I hate absentee ballots.

watershed

Banned
Question for Floridans: Sent my ballot in weeks ago. I recently heard if I didn't sign the envelope, my ballot would be discounted. Is this true? This is why I hate absentee ballots.

That's true for most if not all mail in ballot states. Why didn't you sign your ballot?

Michigander here, but yeah, that's how it works here, in order to make sure that it's actually you that filled out your ballot and not someone else. Not sure what they look like in Florida, but the envelopes here make it pretty clear that they absolutely need to be signed (with the same also being true of the instructions provided with the ballot):

I really hate that Bernie can't tweet anything from either of his accounts without people yelling at him that he's a sellout or that he should join Jill Stein or do some other miracle that would suddenly make him the nominee instead of Hillary.

Like it's been three months already! Let it go people!

Necrovex

That's true for most if not all mail in ballot states. Why didn't you sign your ballot?

Michigander here, but yeah, that's how it works here, in order to make sure that it's actually you that filled out your ballot and not someone else. Not sure what they look like in Florida, but the envelopes here make it pretty clear that they absolutely need to be signed (with the same also being true of the instructions provided with the ballot):

I wasn't sent a normal absentee ballot. Had to print out my ballot and use a normal envelope to send it from South Africa. I didn't even know there was a special envelope for it until after the fact. I sent my ballot using the address provided on the absentee form.

I'll see if I can fax it, but last time, my county board fax number was not working, so I was forced to skip the state primary.

Retro

And the thing is...it's a problem. It's a problem when they do this shit real quiet, and it's a problem when they do it in the light of day. So, we need to figure out what we can do...but, again....a tape of Donald Trump doing something else racist/sexist/deplorable is nothing more than a band aide.

You can't fix deep-seated bigotry. It behaves like those giant fungal colony organisms that grow over several miles of forest, down in the dirt and darkness like all the meaner creatures of nature. You can't dig it up, it's too deep and widespread and as soon as you try it simply grows stronger, deeper.

You have to wait bigotry out, generation by generation. You have to show how unspeakable it is one mind at a time through society demonstrating it be so. You have to wait for all the vile dirt it grows in to be eroded away handful by handful by simple acts of humanity, until there is no concept of "other."

While we wait for that fantasy to happen, there is a pressing need to defang the Beast and stop it from wreaking further havoc. Any ground lost to the Republican party as it exists today sets us back an unknown number of tomorrows. That's why people want Trump to lose badly, not because they enjoy seeing him implode (okay, not ONLY that...) but because we need to send a message that to behave this way is fundamentally wrong. We cannot do this if we are forced to stand idle or even step backwards by petulant children who are only interested in maintaining their grasp on power and their impossible way of life, who even openly ignore the will of their constituents. We've had 8 years of that. Factor in the Bush years and some of us have spent our entire adult lives watching the Republican party throw wrench after wrench into the mechanisms of this country. Small steps towards even the most basic of human rights (gay marriage, healthcare) feel like huge victories because were so used to nothing ever happening.

I don't expect change over night (again, because this stuff is deep seated, and the rules are rigged in their favor), but sending a message and being able to affect political change without being weighed down by obstructionists needs to happen, and that requires a dramatic loss for the GOP.

Maledict

I honestly do not think Donald would have many/any friends.

Yep, we've seen various reports that he doesn't have any actual friends as we would know them. Which would fit with him having an undiagnosed personality disorder - he's a sociopathic narcissist.

thebloo

Yep, we've seen various reports that he doesn't have any actual friends as we would know them. Which would fit with him having an undiagnosed personality disorder - he's a sociopathic narcissist.

There was nobody giving a heartfelt testimonial for him. 18 months, not one. Even the family members are praising him like someone would praise an employer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom