• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT13| For Queen and Country

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hazmat

Cu_79XJWIAArelO.jpg

Oh melania, just lay low, divorce him in 6 months and take half before it's all gone.

You think Donald Trump didn't get a Slovenian swimsuit model to sign a prenup?

TS-08

I'm going to assume Melania thought up the "peer pressure" excuse on her own and on the fly, because surely even Trump's campaign could see how easily that line will get turned into an "easily influenced" talking point.

I don't see Indiana and Alaska flipping blue before Georgia. I think Utah going blue or yellow is even more likely than Indiana.

There was a poll yesterday that has Alaska even, and it has been trending towards Clinton for a while. I agree Georgia is most likely, but this also was a "best case scenario"--hence the inclusion of Indiana.

EDIT: Just realized I shared the wrong link, I meant this one, which has GA as Blue.

Georgia would go blue before Texas (or likely Indiana).

Yea, I was fiddling around and missed GA and accidentally had the wrong link copied.

pigeon

Banned
There isn't much trust, but the Dems are hemmed in by a Media and base that expects the rules to be followed. Media would spend every day running down the Party that "Broke the Senate" ignoring historically outrageous uses of cloture by the GOP. If the Republicans took back control in 2018, the Narrative is already set for payback. It's a shitty reality, but it's what will happen, and the Dems would take the blame from all sides.

There are no winning moves here

No, I think this is more PoliGAF dystopic fan-fiction. Nobody cares about the filibuster. Maybe you didn't notice from the last eight years of filibuster expansion that made basically no dent in media coverage and affected zero people's opinions on senate races. The media will spend half a page on it. Why make up problems for yourself?

There's a winning move. It's to pass legislation and nominees like the American people expect us to.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
It is fucking nothing.

That's not how he'll present it Wednesday night, though. Hillary better have a great answer, because, frankly, she's had kind of trash responses to this throughout the debates. I expect Trump to ramble for at least 10 minutes on this and the over/under on him bringing this up is currently set at 9.

No, I think this is more PoliGAF dystopic fan-fiction. Nobody cares about the filibuster. Maybe you didn't notice from the last eight years of filibuster expansion that made basically no dent in media coverage and affected zero people's opinions on senate races. The media will spend half a page on it. Why make up problems for yourself?

There's a winning move. It's to pass legislation and nominees like the American people expect us to.

This completely ignores the ability of hostile media, in conjunction with neutral media, to steer public opinion. Remember when Clinton had high favorables before a year of misleading headlines, stripped of context and nuance?

Don't pretend politics works in a vacuum where lies about process aren't manufactured into, "ZOMG!! Tyrant Queen shits on the memory of George Washington by taking away the Jesus-ordained right of no-fault filibusterz!!! 1!1!!!"

I'm just laying out the arguments which have been occurring for a decade for why Dems are very careful about what they do with curtailing cloture votes

Aaron

It is fucking nothing.
True of every 'scandal' leveled against Hillary Clinton since she was first lady. The GOP have been trying for decades, and still haven't found any real dirt. While their candidates fall apart the moment someone gives them a second glance.

regardless of the developments of Debate 3, I believe that the electorate is now baked in and this is what it is .

35% guaranteed Trump voters immovable + a few more % added Republicans who will never vote Democrat

43% baked in Hillary voters + added moderates and Never Trumpers on top of it

True of every 'scandal' leveled against Hillary Clinton since she was first lady. The GOP have been trying for decades, and still haven't found any real dirt. While their candidates fall apart the moment someone gives them a second glance.

Whether it's real or not makes no difference if it does the damage.

I'm really tired of the false claim that "no one in this election is even talking about real issues anymore."

I watched the last debate and I heard plenty of answers from Hillary Clinton with specific points about her policy and what she hopes to do in office. So sick of this jaded view of politics and "both candidates are evil!" mentality.

Amir0x

Banned
Whether it's real or not makes no difference if it does the damage.

Good thing, then, that this race is over and twenty five years of manufactured scandals have amounted to nothing but the bad optics of low favorables. Good thing any job Hillary does she ends up beloved and her poll numbers skyrocket.

Keep piling on these fake scandals Republicans. Feels better every time we devastate your ideology at the polls.

Bowdz

Hillary's response to the inevitable question at the debate should be simple:

"Look, my email server was a mistake and I make no excuses. I've apologized for using it and would like to reiterate that. As for this question, I had no contact with or interference with the FBI/DOJ investigation beyond my interview. I've said from the beginning that I trust the hard working career professionals at the FBI and DOJ that dealt with my case and I respect the integrity of their thorough investigation."

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Just to give people a sense of reality, the "Hillary FBI" thing is not being reported on by the nyt. Of course Chris cilizza is hyped up though. He's so bad.

Boke1879

Idk. I could just see this Melania interview doing a bit more harm than good. It just resurfaces something that happened over a week ago. With a shitty defense of it as well.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
by far my favorite feature of PoliGAF is the part where well-intentioned posters spend several SEVERAL minutes writing a fake apology / statement / whatever. I know I've done it, but they're all so dang cringy.

Dierce

The confederate flag has been and forever will be a hate symbol like the nazi flag.

Forgiveness is not a two way street. The ones responsible for hate are the ones who should renounce their bigotry and apologize to those effected, only then can they expect reciprocation.

Mini-essay I posted as a comment on Facebook was shared by a friend of mine who I didn't know to be super political, figured I'd share it here

Support for third party presidential candidates comes from two very naive and very fundamental misunderstandings about how our system of government works.

1) The president is not a dictator (aka the Green Lantern theory - "why can't the president be more like the Green Lantern and do everything they want to do?"). The president has a lot of authority in foreign policy and can do some things at the executive level but ultimately is bound to Congress. 9 times out of 10 when a president breaks a promise on any given issue it has more to do with Congress obstructing or the Courts tossing in part or in whole legislation.

Let's look at Obama and some of the things he tried to accomplish (setting aside any ideological disagreements with what he wanted to do). Affordable Care Act is often attacked by the left for not providing universal coverage. It had near-universal coverage in the form of the Medicaid expansion that was made optional by the Supreme Court. Since then Republican states have refused to expand Medicaid under the law, preventing millions from getting health insurance. What is he supposed to do about that? Look at immigration reform which sailed through the Senate with huge bipartisan support. House leadership refused to even hold a vote on it. Now he can't get his Supreme Court nominee through, and Republicans announced their intent to block them before Scalia's body was even cold and well before Obama even named anyone. All of the blame for these things seems to fall at Obama's feet for "not doing enough" without ever specifying what more he could actually have done or do, completely absolving the powers that are actually preventing these things (Congressional leadership) from any responsibility. Way to hold their feet to the fire, everyone!

So you have this belief that if the president is just a good and honest person, they can get things done however they want and failure to do so means they were actually dishonest and bad the whole time. I hope we can all agree on why this is problematic because that leads into my next point.

2) Where the major party candidates are inherently flawed, the third party candidates are good and pure. This point might be a little more oblique and forgiving of the two major parties so bear with me. Basically the reason everyone hates Clinton and Trump (besides Trump being a genuinely abhorrent person) is that they've been in media spotlight for decades. Clinton's baggage, in my opinion is no worse than any other politician's, we've just endured thirty years of it so it adds up. I think this also explains why Bernie caught on as a relatively fresh face even though there were plenty of skeletons in his closet too (look up Sierra Blanca). This then extends to candidates like Johnson and Stein who are fairly unknown quantities, but people are willing to give them a chance in the face of the alternatives.

Johnson has demonstrated over the past few months that he is woefully unqualified and ignorant to world politics. I don't think he's necessarily shady, but there also really is no way to know because he hasn't been under a microscope the way major party candidates typically do. Same with Stein except her ramblings about Wi-Fi giving kids brain cancer and attending dinners with Putin are quite public (the Putin thing should be especially troubling considering her proposals on American foreign policy essentially consist of total disarmament, allowing Russia to take over as the dominant superpower). Like, neither of these candidates are qualified. Dollars to donuts there are scandals in both of their closets that won't come out because no one cares enough about either of them.

Tl;dr - President's not a dictator and third party candidates aren't inherently better than the two major ones. I mean, I would vote for Johnson over Trump in a heartbeat. Stein vs. Trump... I might just leave.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Pretty sure he had 2 on sunday.

You going?

Going to a Trump rally? Why in the hell would I do that?

Half of me wants to hear that the Orange Menace has abandoned the state.
Half of me looks at it as Colorado taking one for the team. He wastes money here that he could spend elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom