• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT16| Unpresidented

Status
Not open for further replies.
DD52_BD2_D_9_AAB_4505_AEC8_461962_AEA799.jpg
Kamala needs to get some awesome speechwriters so she can start being a powerful voice of resistance against Trump in the senate.

Pixieking

Banned
I was curious if anyone knows if there is window for a recess appointment for the SC during the change of congress?

A quick Google reveals that

if the Senate goes into a final recess before December 24th, or even simply takes ten days off in November or December, Obama will have a golden opportunity to directly put Garland on the Supreme Court. And recess appointments last until the end of the next session of Congress, which means two years.

November 14, 2016
Obama still might be able to put Merrick Garland on the Supreme Court

Also, related, from 1st of November: If Clinton wins, more in GOP say no to full Supreme Court

But several Republicans have said if the voters elect Clinton, they’ll block her nominees, effectively abandoning their advice and consent role for her entire term.

“If Hillary Clinton becomes president, I am going to do everything I can do to make sure four years from now, we still got an opening on the Supreme Court,” North Carolina Sen. Richard Burr said in an audio recording of his meeting with GOP volunteers on Saturday. CNN obtained a copy of the audio.

So even if Hillary had won, unless the Senate had swung to the Dems, SCOTUS nominations would've been a non-starter. Better than a conservative 9th judge, but still...

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
What did the Clinton campaign do that you actually liked?

Not much, and I was vocal about that on here. I think their focus on GOTV was a good step (even though it didn't help much this time around). The framework is there for future elections where things hopefully aren't as non-traditional. As always, I thought the outreach to minorities was good (although the outreach to the AA community in particular was subpar).

frankly, Kaine probably should have run for president this year.
Assuming the field was open, I don't see him getting farther than O'Malley. I don't think he really has a base to get him through the primary and he has a questionable record on stuff like right-to-work, TPP, and abortion rights. I don't think he fixes any of our problems this election.

Wilsongt

I heard the most hilarious thing on NPR this morning. A group of individuals are on trial for some ISIS plot in an upper midwest state. One of the suspects' sister pleaded with the judge to be lenient on her brother.

The judge responded "There are no second chances with terrorism."

Oh?

*looks at the Bundy crew.* unless you're white. *sips tea*

studyguy

I heard the most hilarious thing on NPR this morning. A group of individuals are on trial for some ISIS plot in an upper midwest state. One of the suspects' sister pleaded with the judge to be lenient on her brother.

The judge responded "There are no second chances with terrorism."

Oh?

*looks at the Bundy crew.* unless you're white. *sips tea*

lol

Also Garland is going in the trash fam, best believe we're getting Scalia 2.0

Pixieking

Banned
I hope he does it.

Yeah, I do too... SCOTUS recess appointment secures so much. Okay, Climate is still fucked, and Iran deal mayyyyyybe (but very unlikely), but a lot of people would breathe easier. I think if he has the opportunity, he will. It's whether he gets the chance.

lol

Also Garland is going in the trash fam, best believe we're getting Scalia 2.0

Imo, Garland is only trash if the GOP play with the recess timings. Which they probably will, but nothing's set in stone.

jtb

Banned
Assuming the field was open, I don't see him getting farther than O'Malley. I don't think he really has a base to get him through the primary and he has a questionable record on stuff like right-to-work, TPP, and abortion rights. I don't think he fixes any of our problems this election.

he's one of the top fundraisers in the party (another reason why Clinton chose him). the first hurdle that o'malley, etc. failed to clear was name recognition -- and money fuels that.

I doubt he fixes much of anything, but in retrospect, clearing the field was obviously a bad idea.

Megyn Kelly was doing well in her post-election efforts until she basically said society is more protective of black people than white women in her interview with THR:

Megyn "Jesus is white!" Kelly has a long history of punching down and diminishing black male murders by cops so i'm not shocked.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
LOL come on. There's almost 0 chance Garland gets a vote.

In other news:

Dan Nowicki Verified account
‏@dannowicki

Kris Kobach: Trump team exploring how to "move rapidly on border wall construction" without Congress. (via @Reuters)

Without Congress. What a fantastic sign for the future.

lol he can't build the wall without congress.

I'm not even sure he could build it without the southern border states signing off. And good luck getting New Mexico or California to sign off.

Pixieking

Banned
LOL come on. There's almost 0 chance Garland gets a vote.

In other news:

Without Congress. What a fantastic sign for the future.

L. O. L

Anyways, it's not that Garland will get a vote, it's whether Senate recesses long enough for Obama to just appoint him.

Yeah, Kelly's got a fucked up perspective. Even if we operate on the assumption that black men have it better than white women (which is like, lol), complaining about that favoritism is less effective than attacking the person who would disparage both groups.

Ultimately, where Kelly lacks all self-awareness is that indeed, she is an example of someone who would be more offended by misogyny than racism. That's her priority. And instead of addressing bigotry in general, she's trying to play the oppression Olympics, because Trump directed his misogyny right at her.

Pixieking

Banned
Which will be overturned as unconstitutional when President Large Mouth Ass gets sworn in.

From my link above:

Article II, Section 2 of the Constitution reads:

The President shall have Power to fill up all Vacancies that may happen during the Recess of the Senate, by granting Commissions which shall expire at the End of their next Session

So, he can try... But nyeargh, boo, sucks to him.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
CONGRESSIONAL

TERM

LIMITS

IS

A

BAD

IDEA

say it with me every one.

CONGRESSIONAL

TERM

LIMITS

IS

A

BAD

IDEA

Been on this train for years now. No one's ever been able to explain how it's supposed to fix any real issue with our democracy. "It'll get new blood in" isn't really an argument since new blood isn't always a good thing.

Mike M

Nick N
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't SCOTUS rule that the bullshit the senate GOP is playing by never letting the senate formally recess--even when it is obviously the case that they are in recess--was sufficient to deny recess appointments?

lol he can't build the wall without congress.

I'm not even sure he could build it without the southern border states signing off. And good luck getting New Mexico or California to sign off.

Hilarious after the screaming about Obama's executive orders no matter how tame or little they did, there's now a suggestion that Trump can just build a fucking 30 billion dollar border wall without congress or states approval.

Good good government ideas: automatic voter registration. Ranked choice voting. Independent redistricting commissions to create more competitive seats. Bad good government ideas: unruly proposition systems. Jungle primaries. Run-offs. Short term limits.

So

Who is Obama going to pardon on his last day.

IMO he should really go nuts with it. He's wildly popular, and the people who'd hate him for, say, pardoning all nonviolent drug offenders is already dead-set on hating him.

Would also shit all over Trump's inauguration news cycle.

Can the president future-pardon Hillary Clinton before Trump takes office?

I'm joking, but a friend literalllllly asked me this a week ago

You can actually pardon someone who hasn't been charged, so, I mean. He could?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom