• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT16| Unpresidented

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Freshman (and Dick Durbin)

CxVdqXIWIAE_TnJ.jpg:large
wow this is beautiful

also DEBORAH ROSS DESERVED TO BE HERE

Good good government ideas: automatic voter registration. Ranked choice voting. Independent redistricting commissions to create more competitive seats. Bad good government ideas: unruly proposition systems. Jungle primaries. Run-offs. Short term limits.
Wait what's wrong with jungle primaries/runoffs? They seem fine imo, though I'd rather just have ranked choice. Actually, I'd rather just have proportional representation.

Also, it's nice to see that even though our first woman nominee lost that women can still have opportunities to rise up in the Democrats. America's still way too far away from proper representation but each election we're a little closer.

Wait what's wrong with jungle primaries/runoffs? They seem fine imo, though I'd rather just have ranked choice. Actually, I'd rather just have proportional representation.

Jungle primaries: Look at CA. Tons of districts that ran D v D or R v R. It doesn't give people a choice. The most criminal was D v D in the Senate.

Run-offs: In Louisiana and Georgia, you're basically putting the most important election after Election Day, and lowering voter turnout for the end result. This has been true in almost every LA and GA runoff the past two decades.

Jungle primaries: Look at CA. Tons of districts that ran D v D or R v R. It doesn't give people a choice. The most criminal was D v D in the Senate.

Run-offs: In Louisiana and Georgia, you're basically putting the most important election after Election Day, and lowering voter turnout for the end result. This has been true in almost every LA and GA runoff the past two decades.
The run-off argument makes sense, but I'd argue that for California having D v D or R v R gives more of a choice than the traditional D v R! If one party is that overwhelmingly strong in an area it makes more sense to have the GE be between two members of the same party. Harris vs Republican would have been even more lopsided I think.

The run-off argument makes sense, but I'd argue that for California having D v D or R v R gives more of a choice than the traditional D v R! If one party is that overwhelmingly strong in an area it makes more sense to have the GE be between two members of the same party. Harris vs Republican would have been even more lopsided I think.

30% of the state is Republican. Not having a Republican option is a failure to those people. You also see in Oregon where their Treasurer was an R v R fight, despite Hillary winning by ~10 points there.

We need to pick up more Governor's races, but the one I'll actually be able to vote in (assuming I haven't moved by then) is almost definitely going from D to R. Malloy is probably the second most unpopular Governor in the country. Even if he doesn't run again I don't know how dems put up a winning race next time.

Blader

I had a thought yesterday: how miserable is Marco Rubio now? He hates being in the Senate and only re-upped for another term to jumpstart what he was sure would be a 2020 presidential bid (even said he wouldn't commit to serving a full 6 years in the Senate). Now, assuming that Pence would be the favorite to run in 2020 (if Trump resigns/chooses not to run again) or 2024 after Trump is out, Rubio's rising star presidency hopes have been pushed 8-12 years away.

I had a thought yesterday: how miserable is Marco Rubio now? He hates being in the Senate and only re-upped for another term to jumpstart what he was sure would be a 2020 presidential bid (even said he wouldn't commit to serving a full 6 years in the Senate). Now, assuming that Pence would be the favorite to run in 2020 (if Trump resigns/chooses not to run again) or 2024 after Trump is out, Rubio's rising star presidency hopes have been pushed 8-12 years away.

It's one of the few bright spots from this election.

I really hope PA isn't gone forever. Makes it harder to live here 😕

Wolf definitely is screwed in 2018 tho. We're gonna be Kansas. Fuuuuuck

It won't. Trump ran on policies that future Republican's will likely never be willing to promise again. Moving to the left on trade and infrastructure really paid of for Trump.

Also the email scandal was killer and how poorly the Clinton's handled it shouldn't be overlooked.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/16/politics/house-republicans-earmarks/index.html

GOP controlled House considering voting to return to the earmark system

Other than the hypocrisy of them being worried about the budget for 8 years and suddenly not being, I'm okay with this. Earmarks are pretty harmless as far as I can tell, and they give communities stuff and politicians stuff to point at and brag about so they don't have to start making problems up to complain about.

And in a decade, he won't be this new, young Republican, he will have 20 years of a record in Washington and that might make him tainted.

The GOP will definitely go back to free tradelivery once Trump is gone because big business always gets its way. It's one of the few reasons I'm sure Trump won't do anything drastic on the tradefense front.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Other than the hypocrisy of them being worried about the budget for 8 years and suddenly not being, I'm okay with this. Earmarks are pretty harmless as far as I can tell, and they give communities stuff and politicians stuff to point at and brag about so they don't have to start making problems up to complain about.

Pretty much. There should be limits as to what's allowed, but this will allow for a bit more horsetrading and make it easier to get larger pieces of legislation done.

To answer a question from before, there's only one freshman Republican Senator, and that's Todd Young (IN).

There just weren't a lot of retirements this year.

Debirudog

It won't. Trump ran on policies that future Republican's will likely never be willing to promise again. Moving to the left on trade and infrastructure really paid of for Trump.

Also the email scandal was killer and how poorly the Clinton's handled it shouldn't be overlooked.

The lesson here, is not to have any emails at all regardless if the content is harmless. I think this was unprecendented given how Comey and Wikileaks essentially capitalized on it.

Zukkoyaki

The GOP will definitely go back to free tradelivery once Trump is gone because big business always gets its way. It's one of the few reasons I'm sure Trump won't do anything drastic on the tradefense front.

Agreed. Anything he does related to trade deals will be all for show or shot down by congress. TPP is probably gone though.

The lesson here, is not to have any emails at all regardless if the content is harmless. I think this was unprecendented given how Comey and Wikileaks essentially capitalized on it.

Seriously. Like lets just go back to phone calls and carrier pigeons or something. Or ask Condoleezza Rice magically did her job without using them.

I understood the complaints against earmarks but I don't really see how we have benefited much from losing them. Instead it seems like it made polarization even worse.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I understood the complaints against earmarks but I don't really see how we have benefited much from losing them. Instead it seems like it made polarization even worse.

I mean it did get pretty crazy at the end but that was more cause for reforming the system, not stopping the practice altogether.

I remember in school, ear marks were supposed to be the biggest waste of money ever. "Congressman agrees to vote for a law because his district gets a new Christmas Tree farm funded by the Government" was the example my teachers used to always use. I guess maybe it was relevant in the mid 2000s.

But even then I remember thinking "Huh? What's bad here? Now those people get a government funded Christmas Tree Farm..."

If the government starts funding more stuff, maybe people will realize government funding stuff isn't a big mean scary boogieman.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I thought I heard that earmarks are actually good for bipartisan cooperation. Gives people a reason to step over the isle.

Pretty much. It's a lot easier to explain to voters why you voted for something they don't like if you can show them that you got them something they do like in exchange.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Can the president future-pardon Hillary Clinton before Trump takes office?

I'm joking, but a friend literalllllly asked me this a week ago

Sure, he could direct the AG to charge Hillary and then pardon her.

Tendo

I really hope PA isn't gone forever. Makes it harder to live here 😕

Wolf definitely is screwed in 2018 tho. We're gonna be Kansas. Fuuuuuck

And that is why I've called and made contact with 3 local dem groups since last Tuesday. Don't chicken little. Get involved. Let that fear motivate you. call your local office. Start talking now about how great he is and how much you like him. He has no charisma? You be his charisma. Be the word of mouth that spreads the message. We needs dems to get out and vote. Why wait until late 2018 to start the message?

Like Obama has said the last two days - it is up to us now. This country is what we make it. Fight for it. Get involved. Just voting isn't enough anymore.

I got so much crap from my PA family when I went away to school to Virginia 20 years ago. Moving to the South! How could I!

Now Virginia was much closer than I thought it would be this year, but, it's basically as blue as California vs PA anymore.

Hillary's overall strategy was simply terrible in the states she lost. Either not campaigning at all, or just campaigning in the cities thinking running up the score and dem panic would be enough.

Can't ever do that again. Should campaign even in areas you can't win, just to help limit the damage. A lot of Trump's picked up support was because he filled a vacuum of nothing with his big shows that swept through mostly ignored and forgot parts of these states.

Hillary's overall strategy was simply terrible in the states she lost. Either not campaigning at all, or just campaigning in the cities thinking running up the score and dem panic would be enough.

Can't ever do that again. Should campaign even in areas you can't win, just to help limit the damage. A lot of Trump's picked up support was because he filled a vacuum of nothing with his big shows that swept through mostly ignore and forgot parts of these states.

She campaigned in what, Arizona? Texas maybe? They took the blue states Obama won for granted.

Can't ever do that again. Should campaign even in areas you can't win, just to help limit the damage. A lot of Trump's picked up support was because he filled a vacuum of nothing with his big shows that swept through mostly ignore and forgot parts of these states.
Honesty Iowa and Ohio were so far gone if she campaigned in rural towns and truck diners along the interstate she would have lost by a similar similar margin, maybe a point or two less.

The buy-in from Trump was completed. He sold them on the house. No amount of saying he's a bad person or the house is fake could sway them. The better strategy was to pump the ObamaCoalition, which she did.

She campaigned in what, Arizona? Texas maybe? They took the blue states Obama won for granted.

No, not just the states I mean.. Area's of the states, like Michigan, and Wisconsin, and Pennsylvania. The rural areas.

And honestly, look Arizona, she did push for, a little bit or a brief period.. And it came within three points. When's the last time that state was that close?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom