• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT16| Unpresidented

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
If Kamala Harris runs, I am going to campaign so hard. She has everything I want for a candidate.

I like Harris and Kander. They need to have babies so we have a super politician!

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Trump isn't a related topic when you search "Big League" but he is the only topic when you search "Bigly" lol.

Everyone thinks he says bigly.
I always assumed most of the "Bigly" was an in joke / irony. But apparently I had higher opinion of my countrymen and women than was warranted.

Pixieking

Banned
Slightly touchy subject this, maybe, but I'm curious.

Any way to get specific statistics on early voting and on the day voting, or is it too early? I remember in a previous thread, Florida early voting was said to be through the roof for the Democrats, based on party registration, with the I-4 corridor getting tons of Dem votes. Then, on the day voting comes, and I-4 is lost. Curious whether it was because all the Dems in the corridor voted early, whilst the Republicans split 50-50 early and on the day, or something else?

Also, Florida:

2016 General Election

Vote-by-Mail Provided (Not Yet Returned)
Republican 206,737
Democrat 273,014
Other 14,691
No Party Affiliation 140,595

Total 635,037

Voted Vote-by-Mail
R 1,107,750
D 1,048,301
O 69,188
NPA 503,806

Total 2,729,045

As of this morning.

If Kamala Harris runs, I am going to campaign so hard. She has everything I want for a candidate.

As a native Californian who now lives in Virginia, the thought of running a California politician doesn't get me excited. Most of the people I know here (spanning both parties) think of Cali as a different country

Holmes

As a native Californian who now lives in Virginia, the thought of running a California politician doesn't get me excited. Most of the people I know here (spanning both parties) think of Cali as a different country

It might as well be. We're too fucking good compared to the undesirable rest of the country.

Pixieking

Banned

Another plus to Kander - Kansas-born, MO SoS. He's one of the boys.

kirblar

Trump just won. Throw out the rulebook.

It's a new beginning, guys. It fucking sucks, but I'm getting optimistic already about 2018/2020. I'm Mexican American, so please don't give me that entitled white privilidge shit :) The way Poligaf member would run back to this thread to call Bernie Sanders fans racists and STRAIGHT WHITE MALES -- was unproductive. Nobody really liked Yasss Queen no matter how "Faaaabulous" some of the members in here tried to make her out to be. I was always in fear of getting banned here because several of the mods used Hil-avatars and were very defensive on OT on any critciism towards her. Sorry to be bitter, but when you're Mexican American and you now have a Donald Trump leading us, it's kinda hard not to throw a little bit of shade :) I don't think Bernie would've won Florida, but I'm pretty sure he would've taken PA/WI/MI and thus, won the presidency. Anyway, no point in arguing now. I'm seriously trying my best not to say Fuck Off to the DNC and abandon them, but instead will just try to get the DNC where they need to be and help get some Dem senators/House members elected. I think this is much more productive.

I'm planning to donate 500 dollars to a couple of Dem candidates who have a shot at winning. Maybe 2-3, depending on their shot at taking a Republican seat.. I would appreciate some guidance, please! Thanks poligaf

It's sad, but I have a feeling that a female candidate is going to have an incredibly hard time next democratic primary. People will have severe reservations at trying it again in the near future.

That doesn't really matter in the context of this argument. Of course they are hypocritical, but it's better to acknowledge where they actually are making a reasonable argument and when they are not.

It really needs far more than just a little retooling as well. Like it needs to address the fact that it completely ignores due process. There is possibly a way to make it work in so that it does, but that had to come first, not later.

And even then. What is the point. Seriously how many people on terrorists watch lists contribute to overall gun violence numbers. Is it really even worth the political battle?
This, I think, is one of the best arguments for abandoning guns as an issue for the foreseeable future. While I think massive gun control measures would save thousands of lives, ultimately policies of the scale required will never get passed. Instead, liberals run on milquetoast half-steps that sound reasonable but probably will have little consequence and then get them killed by the NRA.

It sucks, but this isn't the right battle to pick.

Ding ding ding.

Trump didn't win the country. He won Republicans.

Democrats should never try for the Republican base. It is futile. No matter how vile, if he has an R next to his name, they will come home.

That still remains a huge failure on Clinton's part. Faith in people to have morality. Specfically Republicans.

Guys all this reasonable and correct gun control talk is making me realize that Bernie's lack of record used against him in the primaries would have served him well in the general.

I mean, a few of his voters might have been turned off in the general when that baggage was fully exploited by the Trump campaign, but most of them are single-issue voters anyway and wouldn't care.

Do you guys think a woman candidate even has a chance in the near future or did Clinton prove that women won't unite behind another woman and men see a woman with any power as unlikeable?
Clinton wasn't always unlikeable but as she got more dedication to politics she became hated.

She didn't lose because she's a woman, she lost because she wasn't a good candidate and this wasn't the right year for a bad candidate to win. I'm sure the right woman could win at the right time.

So, the 'firewall' states Clinton lost was by about a total of 100k votes? Yo, that's fucking annoying.

Yup.

People are jumping to give hot takes which would have looked completely different if just 40k more Dems had voted in WI or MI.

As always, the first reaction is that turnout was the problem when it is now obvious that turnout will exceed 2012 levels.

At least wait for all the votes to be counted.

Pixieking

Banned
What does the Bernie coalition think of Kander anyways?

God knows. It's what's annoying me about the Bernie Bros. Bernie's not going to run again, and the talk of him maybe winning this is, literally, academic. So, rather than shit up the thread, why don't we start talking about who you can coalesce behind in the future? Warren won't run, either, before anyone suggests her - the sexism will be the same, and her age is a negative.

I get that's it's just after, and people want to run what-ifs, but at the same time, if you're not going to think of a way to win this back and motivate your fellows to do the same, then what are you doing in politics? Fair-weather voters are... Well, not worth relying on.

I think it's true that Clinton deserves much of the blame. But it's also true that there were external factors at work that really hurt her. I think it's clear from both the Democratic data and the Republican data that the Comey letter really, really hurt her. That sucks.

Ding ding ding.

Trump didn't win the country. He won Republicans.

Democrats should never try for the Republican base. It is futile. No matter how vile, if he has an R next to his name, they will come home.

It's because Republicans actually get how politics works. You vote for your guy to oppose their guy and push your issues, and if your guy sucks well at least he's on the right team and will be pushing in the right general direction even if you don't like him (or her...) very much.

The problem is that Republican issues are insane, except when they're outright horrifying. Why we can't get out guys to turn out for stuff that is grounded in reality I still don't understand. Or, I mean, I understand that Dems need to be coddled and cajoled and serenaded, but I don't understand why that is.

Is there any way to participate in the DNC chair elections? Or is it a state party chairs pick it deal?

I mean obviously you can contact those who can if that's the case, but I want to know if there's a way to more directly support Dean.

It's sad, but I have a feeling that a female candidate is going to have an incredibly hard time next democratic primary. People will have severe reservations at trying it again in the near future.
Every time a female candidate has been on a major party ticket it's gone horribly. That's a sample size of three but probably still enough to spook some people.

Is there any way to participate in the DNC chair elections? Or is it a state party chairs pick it deal?

I mean obviously you can contact those who can if that's the case, but I want to know if there's a way to more directly support Dean.

We ABSOLUTELY DO NOT WANT THIS TO HAPPEN. Making the administrative head of the party machinery into a political figure is a TERRIBLE IDEA and it speaks volumes that Sanders seems bent on turning it into one.

We ABSOLUTELY DO NOT WANT THIS TO HAPPEN. Making the administrative head of the party machinery into a political figure is a TERRIBLE IDEA and it speaks volumes that Sanders seems bent on turning it into one.

Oh how is it done then? I mean the headline said "Dean announces he's running for DNC chair" or is that "running" in the sense that Giuliani used CNN to "campaign" for AG?

Cw7cRrKXEAAI38x.jpg

rDUWQHh.png

Hell, Clinton popular vote will increase a lot with 4.75 million votes left to count in CA.

Every time a female candidate has been on a major party ticket it's gone horribly. That's a sample size of three but probably still enough to spook some people.
This might be correct but it's important to remember that the Ferraro and Palin were both total desperation picks by people who knew they would lose.

Oh how is it done then? I mean the headline said "Dean announces he's running for DNC chair" or is that "running" in the sense that Giuliani used CNN to "campaign" for AG?

DNC members (as distinct from Democratic voters or even Democratic legislators) vote for the chair by majority. Generally, this is an invisible process because nobody cares. That is no longer the case, unfortunately, which means that now it's not about presenting effective plans to a handful of in-the-know insiders, the general public has become involved, which means that we're back to wooing people. Fuckers.

DNC members (as distinct from Democratic voters or even Democratic legislators) vote for the chair by majority. Generally, this is an invisible process because nobody cares. That is no longer the case, unfortunately, which means that now it's not about presenting effective plans to a handful of in-the-know insiders, the general public has become involved, which means that we're back to wooing people. Fuckers.

I mean, wouldn't this also come with increased transparency and accountability? Plus with all the anti-establishment fervor among both parties it seems like it wouldn't be that bad of a move.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
"better coverage than verizon" is funny to me

cause it doesnt cover any of the big cities, so what would be the point

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom