• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT16| Unpresidented

Status
Not open for further replies.

RDreamer

Honestly, I'm not sure if "This is not normal" is that accurate compared to "This is not moral."

Woodrow Wilson and Andrew Jackson were presidents of the United States, Trump isn't that abnormal.

But this is immoral.

I don't think everyone repeating "This is not normal" is really going to help. Even soft Trump supporters wanted him to be abnormal.

I don't think everyone repeating "This is not normal" is really going to help. Even soft Trump supporters wanted him to be abnormal.

I mean "dumbfuck hardcore racist campaigns on the idea that the elites are stealing your wealth and then immediately starts on a presidency of genocide and economic ruin in which the poor are hurt much harder than the rich and the government is robbed blind and the president makes constant embarrassing threats." is something that the United States has gone through.

It's not that abnormal.

Drakeon

I genuinely hope Hillary continues her work as a public servant.

I just don't want her to run for president again.

I think she's earned retirement, if that's what she wants. If she wants to continue being a public servant, that's ok too.

We're not nominating her again in 2020 (she's smart enough to realize this), so that's a moot point.

RDreamer

I mean "dumbfuck hardcore racist campaigns on the idea that the elites are stealing your wealth and then immediately starts on a presidency of genocide and economic ruin in which the poor are hurt much harder than the rich and the government is robbed blind and the president makes constant embarrassing threats." is something that the United States has gone through.

It's not that abnormal.

Yeah I get that.

I was referencing how everyone on twitter just keeps repeating "this is not normal."

Owzers

Don lemon.....a team trump guy who was defending bannon during the segment ended the discussion with "Breitbart rules." Yep, that's how things are now.

Odrion

Banned

It's not that abnormal.
yeah sure let's abandon the idea of time and context

we're talking about internment camps for muslims, not bringing back the cherry phosphate

It is utterly fascinating how this is being received around here compared to when Sanders verbatim said exactly the same thing only in a way that much more reinforced/normalized the Trump won because WWC economic anxiety narrative.

When he said it it was signs of a great leader

When other Dems say it it's giving into the GOP and normalizing Trump....

I'm not even trying to be antagonistic, it's just utterly fascinating how different the reactions are just based on who in the party is saying it.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Its smart given Trump's tenuous policy positions and lack of political experience. If I had any strategy for working with Donald Trump it would be stroking his ego and working in areas where he is most pliable.

While simultaneously pitting him against the larger GOP.

Sibylus

Banned
Its smart given Trump's tenuous policy positions and lack of political experience. If I had any strategy for working with Donald Trump it would be stroking his ego and working in areas where he is most pliable.

Yes, but the important bit is that this can't be our only component to the strategy. Resistance in government and on street level will also be incredibly important. Seize as many vectors of attack working toward Trump's neutering and downfall as possible. Keep him off-balance and in doubt. Always.

Working with Trump on some legislation is super smart. I'm actually like 100% sure that Trump would actually aggressively pursue some of those proposals if the Dems convinced him to lol.

Number 1 job of Dems over the next few years is getting the working class to realize that the GOP is a bunch of lying fuckshits that don't actually care about them. If that means putting Trump in a good light on some issues then so be it. Trumpkins will likely side with Trump over the GOP. Kander should always be a reminder that Trump voter does not always equal GOP voter.

Plus it will probably enrage some GOP congressmen seeing Trump work with the Dems. Bonus points!

Trump's election really is a Pyrrhic victory for the GOP imo. Minority vote = lost forever (and I'm sure a surge in Latinx registration for 2020). And the working class is now in "prove that you can fix us, GOP" mode without a scary black man as president to distract them. I really think the party is fucked for the future.

That centrist writers have refused to accept the idea that Trump voters have agency that Trump voters decided to make president out of the man who thinks Muslims are "snakes" is fascinating.

I haven't seen infantilization like this in a long time.

watershed

Banned
While simultaneously pitting him against the larger GOP.

Yeah definitely.

Yes, but the important bit is that this can't be our only component to the strategy. Resistance in government and on street level will also be incredibly important. Seize as many vectors of attack working toward Trump's neutering and downfall as possible. Keep him off-balance and in doubt. Always.

I don't expect activists to ever let up on Trump. I sure hope they/we don't. Similarly I would be extremely disappointed if Democrats in office don't fight Trump on all of his terrible policies. But splintering the GOP and Trump is a good strategy that can also lead to progress.

Proxy

There's going to be so much graft and corruption in this coming administration that I'm sure even Boss Tweed himself would shake his head in disgust.

dakini

Hillary gave a great speech at the Children's Defense Fund. It's good to see her out in public. I hope she continues to stay active fighting for good causes.

It's also worth pointing out that he won the primary saying the opposite

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/vi...ng_taxes_on_the_wealthy_including_myself.html
Ooh, I remember that. In the primaries Trump talked about all the absurd shit rich people could get away with in their taxes to avoid them. He was clearing speaking from experience, and he's not at all wrong! Of all the things to "believe him" on, this is a pretty solid one. This is one reason I don't understand his corporate tax position. They have an infinite bag of tax tricks, too, but it was popular to talk about cutting those rates while raising income tax on the wealthy in the primaries? Those are somewhat contradictory.

Rick Perry considered for Energy Secretary: report

X6nDkk.gif

As a former Rick Perry regime survivor I hope you guys start believing in a god so you can come to terms with yourself.

The FBI had come under intense criticism for its decision to resurrect the investigation in the eleventh hour, as Democrats said it breached impartiality rules and tipped the odds in Mr Trump's favour.

"With eleven days to go, something amazing happened," Mr Lewandowski said in a speech at the Oxford Union debating society on Wednesday evening.

"The FBI's director James [Comey] rang me up on Friday and he said they may be reopening the investigation into Crooked Hillary's emails.

"What that did was remind people that there are two different rules in Washington - those of the elites, and the privileged and those for everybody else.

"When Comey moved forward with that investigation... it allowed the campaign a little spring in their step, and for them to redouble their efforts."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...pen-clinton-email-probe-enabled-donald-trump/

Well, if Comey really did call Lewandowski (Who was a member of the Trump campaign) ahead of time then I AM FUCKING FURIOUS.

No Republican should ever be appointed to anything again.

I like how Comey was allegedly willing to collude with a fascist campaign that had drug his name through the mud and called for his imprisonment just because he hated Hillary Clinton.

Hopefully he pisses off Trump and is sent to Gitmo.

i wonder when the GOP propaganda machine will start up the Medicare smear. Paul Ryan's already going around saying Obamacare caused irreparable damage to Medicare and that it has to be reformed or it'll die bankrupt. Fox News & AM talk radio will have old white republicans believing by mid-2017 that obama most definitely fucked up the program and that Paul Ryan is gonna fix it.

Pixieking

Banned
Honestly, I'm not sure if "This is not normal" is that accurate compared to "This is not moral."

Woodrow Wilson and Andrew Jackson were presidents of the United States, Trump isn't that abnormal.

But this is immoral.

Yeah. "This isn't normal", when actually, for a lot of people it's what they want to be normal, does no good. "This is immoral" may actually push people to rethink what they're thinking/saying/allowing.

Hillary gave a great speech at the Children's Defense Fund. It's good to see her out in public. I hope she continues to stay active fighting for good causes.

That's cool... I'm glad she's bounced back already. :)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...pen-clinton-email-probe-enabled-donald-trump/

Well, if Comey really did call Lewandowski (Who was a member of the Trump campaign) ahead of time then I AM FUCKING FURIOUS.

No Republican should ever be appointed to anything again.

That's as blatant a breaking of the Hatch Act as you'll get. And, to be fair to the source, The Telegraph has a bias, but it's doesn't generally print untrue statements.

i wonder when the GOP propaganda machine will start up the Medicare smear. Paul Ryan's already going around saying Obamacare caused irreparable damage to Medicare and that it has to be reformed or it'll die bankrupt. Fox News & AM talk radio will have old white republicans believing by mid-2017 that obama most definitely fucked up the program and that Paul Ryan is gonna fix it.
I think Medicare is the single most popular government program in the country.

I'm not sure any amount of GOP propaganda can make people want it cut.

I think Medicare is the single most popular government program in the country.

I'm not sure any amount of GOP propaganda can make people want it cut.
they'll sell it as reforms that won't have the program running out of money like Obamacare did! After this year, i feel Trump and the GOP could sell their Party on most things.

At 5% unemployment!

Usually you don't see people embracing that fact that we're horrible animals until actual desperation comes. The fact that your wages are stagnant is not fucking desperation. It's bad, but jesus fucking christ, losing your factory job and working a service job should not turn you into a NeoNazi.

What happened to the world...

Tbf National Unemployment is not uniform, some of Trumps supporters likely experiencing significantly higher local / personal rates.

And for the second, thats got a lot to do with some rather silly (in hindsight) expectations we set as a society regarding what "real work" is and what it means to be a "man".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom