• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT16| Unpresidented

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joeytj

Banned
Maybe Schumer endorsed Ellison to lure him away from challenging Pelosi, but meh. I don't think it matters much to either of them.

Pelosi will remain Minority Leader simply because there aren't many good alternatives, honestly, and reacting to the results of the election after just one week by electing a midwestern white male as the Dem leader in the House, seems like a bad move also.

HIllary won the popular vote, by a lot, and her loss is now looking as a series of strategic mistakes, not so much as something that was inevitable. Democrats shouldn't also be overreacting to the loss by just throwing away everything they've worked for in the last 8 years.

Yes, tweak the message, like Sanders and Warren are doing, but throwing Pelosi under the bus doesn't seem like a solution.

There is something kind of icky feeling about trying to throw out the once-highest ranking woman in the US government after our first female nominee failed.

I don't know a lot about Pelosi but my dad hates her so she's probably doing something right.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
There is something kind of icky feeling about trying to throw out the once-highest ranking woman in the US government after our first female nominee failed.

I don't know a lot about Pelosi but my dad hates her so she's probably doing something right.

personally i dont have anything against her, and she's from CA so she has that going for her in my mind.

she is getting up there in age, so this is not an awful time to start thinking about other people taking on that role. they need to elevate someone that is going to be able to take over the reigns.

kirblar

Sadly, it's pretty much exactly the same general issue as w/ Clinton w/ a non-zero amount of voters. Old + Woman + history = image problem. :(

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't SCOTUS rule that the bullshit the senate GOP is playing by never letting the senate formally recess--even when it is obviously the case that they are in recess--was sufficient to deny recess appointments?

I don't remember seeing this answered in the intervening pages, but you're right. In NLRB v. Noel Canning (PDF), the Court held that, "[f]or purposes of the Recess Appointments Clause, the Senate is in session when it says that it is, provided that, under its own rules, it retains the capacity to transact Senate business." The Senate's pro forma sessions satisfied these requirements.

Noel Canning is also where the significance of December 24 comes from, because the Court held that a recess of more than three but less than ten days is "presumptively" too short to empower the president to make a recess appointment. Counting backwards 10 days from January 3, 2017 (the date on which the new Senate first meets) yields December 24, 2016. Importantly, this is just a presumption, meaning that a recess of less than ten days may nevertheless permit the president to appoint someone without Senate consent, but only in "very unusual circumstances" that almost certainly don't exist here. (The Court gives the example of "a national catastrophe . . . that renders the Senate unavailable but calls for an urgent response," but also notes that "political opposition in the Senate would not qualify as an unusual circumstance.")

In other words, it would be very easy for Republicans to prevent the president from wielding his recess-appointment power to appoint Garland to the Court.

(Here are a couple of interesting historical side notes: (1) NLRB stemmed from three recess appointments by President Obama during early 2012. You probably remember that the Democrats controlled the Senate at that time, and may be wondering why they would hold these pro forma sessions if that meant that President Obama couldn't make recess appointments? The answer is that they were forced to by the Republican-controlled House. The Constitution prohibits either the House or Senate from adjourning for more than three days without the other's consent. (2) Fittingly, that bit above about "political opposition" not qualifying as an "unusual circumstance" was only added in because Justice Scalia "compel[led]" the majority to say so. (3) The Democrats started it.)

chadskin

In a 2007 Republican presidential debate, Romney mistakenly said that the Iraq war could have been avoided if Saddam Hussein had allowed IAEA inspectors into the country. CNN contributor Paul Begala criticized this remark and called it "[a] huge mistake, a gaffe that -- that's, if this were a general election debate, would be a disqualifier," pointing out that inspectors had been allowed into Iraq.

Funny this was considered a disqualifier back then.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Maybe Schumer endorsed Ellison to lure him away from challenging Pelosi, but meh. I don't think it matters much to either of them.

Pelosi will remain Minority Leader simply because there aren't many good alternatives, honestly, and reacting to the results of the election after just one week by electing a midwestern white male as the Dem leader in the House, seems like a bad move also.

HIllary won the popular vote, by a lot, and her loss is now looking as a series of strategic mistakes, not so much as something that was inevitable. Democrats shouldn't also be overreacting to the loss by just throwing away everything they've worked for in the last 8 years.

Yes, tweak the message, like Sanders and Warren are doing, but throwing Pelosi under the bus doesn't seem like a solution.

Agreed on all this. Just find the right front person to run for POTUS and I think they'll be back in the game.

I don't think we talk on here enough about how huge 2018 is going to be for governor races. With redistricting coming up again in 2020, having good democratic governors in place is going to be a colossal benefit. The DNC needs to get reorganized ASAP.

Debirudog

is it bad that I want gerrymandering to go in favor of democrats. It's shitty but it just never seems to end unless you fight dirty.

My God this NPR interview of Richard Spencer about the alt-right. He is preaching white-nationalism. That is what this, let's fucking stop calling it anything else.

It is not just about this one election, the Dems have been getting killed for years now.

Joeytj

Banned
Agreed on all this. Just find the right front person to run for POTUS and I think they'll be back in the game.

I don't think we talk on here enough about how huge 2018 is going to be for governor races. With redistricting coming up again in 2020, having good democratic governors in place is going to be a colossal benefit. The DNC needs to get reorganized ASAP.

Yes, 2018 doesn't seem like a bad year. Maybe, yes, for the Senate, but after two years of Trump, a very possible recession settling in by then, we could be looking at a wave election once more for the Dems if they play it right.

It is not just about this one election, the Dems have been getting killed for years now.

Which is why Ellison (or another progressive) Warren and Sanders having more power is the right answer, but Pelosi knows how to take the Democrats from the political wilderness and back in power. She should stay on, for at least until Democrats regroup in the next few months and after Trump is sworn in.

That is also something a lot of people are missing. Democrats, and the rest of the world, still don't know exactly what kind of president Trump will be (although we're starting to get an idea), which is why a wait and see approach is necessary, even if we can begin adjusting some things just by looking at the results of the election.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
is it bad that I want gerrymandering to go in favor of democrats. It's shitty but it just never seems to end unless you fight dirty.

AKA politics, which democrats have been terrible at recently.

I honestly don't like this attitude. It was the same with Hillary's "but she didn't support gay marriage in the 70s, so she hates LGBT people."

Who cares what people thought as long as they're supportive now and they truly changed their hearts on the issues you care about?

Not last year. Last year was when he gave the speech explaining why his convictions changed. He changed his position in 2013, when he got his first 90%+ rating from planned parenthood. Last year he was 100%.

It's going to be an issue with him getting enough votes.

If, in blowback to Ryan privatizing Medicare or something, we manage to keep all our 2018 Senate seats and pick up AZ and NV, it would be hilarious to see how lopsided that map would be come. The Dean wave of 2006 would carry on for almost 20 years.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
It's going to be an issue with him getting enough votes.

Not sure that bothers me. I don't quite understand what he brings to the table. I checked in on r/political_revolution to make sure my Berniecrat circle wasn't different to the mainstream, and no, they're siding with Pelosi too.

Less worried about Tester. Motanans are weird about their Democrats.
I don't get Montana. Like, I live next to them and I don't see why they're not like us Idahoans or Utah or Wyoming, but they definitely have a more progressive streak to them than we have here. I think my landlord is from there, maybe I should ask him.

Man, I wish I lived in a place that elected Democrats.

Blader

I think Manchin is probably safe too.

2018 might be a good time if McCaskill wanted to retire, and clear the field for Kander again. Although if he were to lose, two losing Senate races in two years would be pretty hard to recover from after the fact. Then again, if he loses two Senate races in two years, maybe we shouldn't be pinning rising star hopes on him in the first place :lol

West Virginia and Montana are weird about ticket splitting. Ohio, Wisconsin, Florida are less weird about ticket splitting. North Dakota is kind of weird about ticket splitting but not as much. Missouri used to be weird about ticket splitting but is less weird than it was.

Joeytj

Banned

Yeah, Montana loves their local Democrats, just not national Democrats, I guess.

McCaskill, I think, will come out on top in the end. Kander showed there's still hope for Dems at the state level, and without Trump on the ballot in 2018, she has a good chance.

West Virginia also hasn't given up on Dems completely. They still have the legislature and reelected a Dem as governor.

The really audacious thing about gerrymandering is that it was devised as a response to the realization that simply being rational with redistricting creates an advantage for Democrats. This ties into the rant I was having yesterday about how Republican administrations need unusual circumstances in order to win popular support nationwide.

When the GOP sees that their platform is losing sustainability on fair conditions, their course of action is to resort to deception and tricks rather than adapt to the changing will of the populace.

Blader

I would actually argue that the state races in 2020 are way more important than whatever happens with the Senate. Not that the Senate isn't critically important, but the Dems need to badly rebuild their state-level bench. The national elections can follow out from them. And if we're in as bad a spot after the 2020 census as we were after 2010, then that's going to be another decade where at least the House remains in GOP control.

This is also one silver lining to Hillary losing this year: it makes it easier to drum up a wave (of sorts) into '18 and '20. I think you could argue that Hillary winning (what would've probably been a one-term presidency) would have been Obama all over again: a historic victory that overshadows the party being gutted in state and local races, which trickles up to being gutted in Congress. Now that Dems are completely shut out everywhere, they have no choice but to focus on the kinds of races they've been neglecting since 2009.

Yeah he's respectable, just a businessman who's woefully out of touch with middle America. Put perfect for SoS and would actually have the gravitas required for the position

People, really.

Do. Not. Normalize. Trump.

Pay attention. This president-elect is dangerous, a real threat to America, and he and his camp think they can distract you.

This presidency is not normal and it isn't going to turn normal.

ceTtgdx.png

MoxManiac

NPR had a short interview w/ Richard Spencer. Really chilling stuff. I really hope that the assholes like him don't get more influence.

Totakeke

You know, for all the talk about appealing to white working class voters, why have they never emerged as a political force prior to this election? We have minority groups that are socially active and holding protests at events, but the WWC does feel like silent because we don't hear anything from them. People need to guess what they stand for and what they want. I suppose that's because they don't see themselves as a minority group with shared goals and they placate their own desires with conspiracy theories peddled to them by radio talk shows instead? Perhaps the weakening of unions across the country has caused their voices to be unheard?

In the future, if the border wall doesn't get built, democrats need to never let that go.

I can assume why it might be treading awkward territory, because they obviously don't want one, and might be worried bringing it up to much might give Latinos the wrong impression.

But if he ran on a campaign promise like that and doesn't make good on it, or renegotiate trade deals he needs to be dragged over the coals for it.

Responsible news sources need to stop letting Alt-Right representatives on the air. That includes any Trump surrogates they can get away with blacklisting.

BiggNife

Besides Adam, who else did we lose after the election?

I don't think anyone else left. Most people just aren't as active as they were pre-election for obvious reasons.

Genuinely hope adam comes back before 2020. I didn't always agree with him but I can't imagine how he feels right now.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
A lot of people, myself included, have turned to filtering out the barrage of Trump news because we can only take so much of Donald and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Presidency.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
You know, for all the talk about appealing to white working class voters, why have they never emerged as a political force prior to this election? We have minority groups that are socially active and holding protests at events, but the WWC does feel like silent because we don't hear anything from them. People need to guess what they stand for and what they want. I suppose that's because they don't see themselves as a minority group with shared goals and they placate their own desires with conspiracy theories peddled to them by radio talk shows instead? Perhaps the weakening of unions across the country has caused their voices to be unheard?

Besides Trump getting them fired up, we may be seeing the effects of 8 years of hardcore right wing media. Obama and everything "coastal, elite, liberal, urban, university" has been attacked nonstop. The message that the heart of America is being stomped all over has had a long time to percolate.

Somewhat similar to how the tea party was created but a longer term project.

A lot of people, myself included, have turned to filtering out the barrage of Trump news because we can only take so much of Donald and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Presidency.

yeah this is where I'm at. I'm going to keep moping until after Thanksgiving, then it's "everybody fights, nobody quits, if you don't do your job I'll shoot you myself" scorched earth against this horror show.

Not going to lie really glad I am moving to a decadent left coast coastal urban enclave. The bubble isn't the bravest thing but at least I won't have to get tear gassed or hit with rubber bullets protesting as the complicit state government lets the deportation gestapo tear the NC cities apart.

yeah, i never watch cable news (I just get my daily dose of news updates from PoliGAF). I can't stand Trump's voice or anyone's voice that supports the Republicans. I was really hoping after the elections, I can sorta start watching TV casually now. But now I feel i will have to be a media recluse even more now. ugh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom