• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT16| Unpresidented

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rear Window

Neo Member
The fact that Trump is complaining about "fraud" stuff now has me 100% convinced there's bullshit to be uncovered in WI, lol. We should at least uncover this shit if there. Trump can go crowdfund recounts/audits in states he lost if he want, too! Leave it to him to try to throw the validity of the election into question despite fucking winning.

If I were a betting man I would say he'd use this as an excuse for nationwide voter id laws.

Mike M

Nick N
That and it makes evangelicals all twitchy.
As in their fear of the mark of the beast stuff?

I don't think they necessarily coincide, it seems like something could be cobbled together to require ID to vote w/out requiring a national ID card or whatever.

Whether it would pass constitutional muster is another matter entirely, I guess.

National ID isn't going to happen without an amendment and that isn't happening.

Obama needs to start a non profit to get poor people IDs in critical states. I would donate monthly.

213372bu

Banned
https://thinkprogress.org/when-everything-is-a-lie-power-is-the-only-truth-1e641751d150#.c14b6bi2v

It certainly was on display during the Ukranian conflict and it worked. To people who don't follow politics, all these political news must sound like 24/7 nonsense.

Trying to ascribe these tactics to some name and give it an origin is so narrow-minded. It makes these think-pieces sound more knowledgeable and gives Trump/Bannon as masterminds. It's really simple and can be boiled down into:

There's a large anti-establishment wave throughout all of America
News cycles feed off latest controversies/stories
The opposing side never adapted and took states for granted.
Establishment queen went against a brash anti-establishment egomaniac
Trump manipulated entire masses of people that have felt wronged for years, be it anti-immigration folk, people in the labor sector with no jobs and feel left behind, people who don't like political correctness, people who don't like establishment types etc. etc. all pandered to the extreme
Trump has no will to enact the policies he proposed, but his cabinet will pressure him to go forward
Hillary/DNC's numerous incompetent actions/inaction.
etc. etc.

"Non-linear warfare must be stopped!"
"He got his tactics from the Russians!!1!1"

Is all useless empty talk. Take a look from the basic point-of-view and not people who get paid to write X number of #hottakes a week that rely on consistently feeding people's confirmation biases.

Odrion

Banned
First, social media companies need to be held accountable for facilitating the spread of misinformation. Men like Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg and Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey, through their greed and stupidity, have shepherded authoritarianism to power in the United States. By embracing a facile definition of “openness,” they’ve sought to reap the traffic benefits of right-wing propaganda while ignoring its disastrous social consequences. They’ve since taken some small steps to rectify their errors, but for now, at least, it’s too little too late.

Second, journalists need to understand what Trump is doing and refuse to play by his rules. He is going to use the respect and deference typically accorded to the presidency as an instrument for spreading more lies. Reporters must refuse to treat him like a normal president and refuse to bestow any unearned legitimacy on his administration. They must also give up their posture of high-minded objectivity — and, along with it, any hope of privileged access to the Trump White House. The incoming president has made clear that he expects unquestioning obedience from the press, and will regard anyone who doesn’t give it to him as an enemy. That is the choice every news outlet faces for the next four years: Subservience and complicity, or open hostility. There is no middle ground.
so we're fucked then

faisal233

Yeah.

Yeah we're fucked.

Nah, just gotta play win.

Counteracting voter ID laws that target minority communities by funding initiatives to make ID's easier to get (and making sure they are registered to vote at the same time) plus funding separate groups that will use whatever tactics the GOP uses to suppress the vote against GOP voters.

If they want to start mailing non forwardable postcards and use that to cull voter rolls, then the same tactics should be used in rural area's that vote republican statewide. The only way to show how egregious these laws are is to use it against the GOP base.

Rear Window

Neo Member
Do you want to say your social security number aloud in a crowded room to a volunteer?

On the other hand, how many times have you said it over the phone to a total stranger? You need it to apply for just about anything. Even getting a cell phone contract nowadays. Your SSN is no secret.

It would need to be some sort of picture identification. Drivers license, passport, etc. If Trump wanted to pass a voter id law it would probably have to go with free Voter Id cards to get past court challenges.

Mike M

Nick N
Nah, just gotta play win.

Counteracting voter ID laws that target minority communities by funding initiatives to make ID's easier to get (and making sure they are registered to vote at the same time) plus funding separate groups that will use whatever tactics the GOP uses to suppress the vote against GOP voters.

If they want to start mailing non forwardable postcards and use that to cull voter rolls, then the same tactics should be used in rural area's that vote republican statewide. The only way to show how egregious these laws are is to use it against the GOP base.

Well that's not really the purview of social and news media as was quoted, but that's certainly a facet of things. I'm less than optimistic about the ability to push back on all the necessary fronts when the mainstream media is already rolling over and baring their throats to the Trump administration.

royalan

Trying to ascribe these tactics to some name and give it an origin is so narrow-minded. It makes these think-pieces sound more knowledgeable and gives Trump/Bannon as masterminds. It's really simple and can be boiled down into:

Trump manipulated entire masses of people that have felt wronged for years, be it anti-immigration folk, people in the labor sector with no jobs and feel left behind, people who don't like political correctness, people who don't like establishment types etc. etc. all pandered to the extreme
Trump has no will to enact the policies he proposed, but his cabinet will pressure him to go forward
etc. etc.

Is all useless empty talk. Take a look from the basic point-of-view and not people who get paid to write X number of #hottakes a week that rely on consistently feeding people's confirmation biases.

Actually, what you're doing here is somewhat narrow-minded. Nobody absolves the Clinton campaign of the mistakes it made, but to say the outcome of this election and the conflict currently facing our media haa nothing to do with a Trump/Bannon strategy because "LOL guys they're just dumb!" when Bannon is out there flat out telling you, "Hey, yeah, so this is our strategy" is intentionally turning a blind eye to what's being forced in our faces.

VRMN

Can something even be done, from a legal standpoint, in curbing the proliferation of fake news? Is fake news protected under the first amendment somehow?

The way I try to put it usually is that lying while not under oath is protected under the first amendment. Libel laws come into play a bit, but proving libel in a case involving a public figure is...difficult.

wutwutwut

Why can't we just use our SS as our national ID?
I have experience designing secure ID systems. SSNs are terrible. You want to keep identification (username) and authentication (password) separate. SSNs are used to both identify and authenticate you.

Think about it this way: it's bad to use the same password everywhere, right? An SSN is a password that you're not only forced to keep the same everywhere, you can't even change it easily.

It's a complete joke that my Google account is better protected with 2 factor than my financial accounts.

Pixieking

Banned
I don't really get why this notion won't die that "Obama" means racism and sexism and the resentment of the upheaval of traditional social order have disappeared. If anything it has intensified it.

It's not remotely fair that you still have to pander to this.

And it doesn't mean don't run women or minorities. But it does mean that everyone should be fully aware of what they're up against.

This is a definite issue. People go "Ah, yeah, no, rural voters voted for economic reasons against Clinton", but given the rural counties relative lack of liberal ideals compared to urban areas, it's just as likely they thought "No, a woman can't deal with money, or big business deals".

The NYT Public Editor piece features this line:

They voted for Donald Trump and don’t consider themselves homophobic, racist or anti-Muslim

I think that a lot of people lie to themselves, and that implicit sexism in rural areas was a big thing.

Now, the argument I've seen against this is "Oh, but they voted for Obama, so why didn't they vote for Clinton?". As though being an African American male and a white woman are somehow equal. I think that sexism is more ingrained in society, and that the perception of women needing to be perfect to get the job is far greater than the perception of an African American needing to be perfect. Certainly, racism still exists, and I think certain demographics within the country are angry that an African American President has occurred at all, especially when you think of the poorer and conervative end of society.

please don't write that women shouldn't run for president

I think there's a difference between saying "a woman shouldn't run", and saying that "this is what is needed for a woman to run". As Shinra says, people need to go into this with eyes wide open, and that implies (to me) that a candidate who is a woman needs to be so amazing, she very well may not exist for the next 10 years.

People can say that Clinton had baggage and wasn't very charismatic, and both are true (to an extent), but she was literally the most experienced candidate in recent history. In a post-truth society, people need to realise that 60 million cracks in the glass ceiling doesn't mean anything when people still question women's right to choose what to do with their own body, or that woman are still paid less than their male counterparts, even in the liberal States (the tech industry, for instance).

Just the fact that she was a woman played against Clinton's chances, and this is even more bizarre when you watch footage of her being motherly, or talking about relatives (the town hall where a girl asked about bullying, another town hall with a girl afraid of her parents being deported, Hillary talking about her mom). All three showed her in a positive, caring light. And I can bet that all three had (some) men in conservative areas thinking "Why ain't she home cookin' dinner for Bill?"

National ID isn't going to happen without an amendment and that isn't happening.

Obama needs to start a non profit to get poor people IDs in critical states. I would donate monthly.

I would absolutely donate to this, too. Fuck my Patreon donations to glamour models and photographers, this would be more important. :p

Totakeke

etc. etc.

But there's a difference between tactics and results. It's important to understand both. None of the reasons you gave provide insight to why their campaign was run so chaotically during election and now during the transition. I think you're feeding into your own biases here too much. You'd rather believe that they are dumb and won by coincidence than they have some semblance of a game plan.

Plus Trump's messages, no matter how ridiculous they were, actually hit the right points and resonated with a lot of white folks. I don't think that was mere coincidence.

Maledict

The simple thing that convinces me sexism is a harder barrier to overcome than racism is the number of videos that were shown where white women were saying the presidents job is a mans job. How many videos of black people (indeed any people) were there where they said his skin color meant he was unable to do the job?

Obviously lots thought it, but the fact that one is open and the other has to be clouded under birtherism says a lot.

Pixieking

Banned
The simple thing that convinces me sexism is a harder barrier to overcome than racism is the number of videos that were shown where white women were saying the presidents job is a mans job. How many videos of black people (indeed any people) were there where they said his skin color meant he was unable to do the job?

Obviously lots thought it, but the fact that one is open and the other has to be clouded under birtherism says a lot.

Yeah, anyone who says gender stereotypes are dead has to have their head examined.

I think there's also a true failing of Hillary herself, and her campaign. The concept of people voting for her "because she's a woman" is derisory short-hand. She was a woman who was eminently capable of doing a man's job, and I think that she and her campaign relied on this too heavily for women's votes. She assumed that many women felt like she did - stuck in the pigeon-hole of "just a woman", like many professional women who had been stopped because of the glass-ceiling, passed over for promotion because of possibility of pregnancy or being too attractive/ugly/outspoken.

Unfortunately, neither Hillary nor her campaign factored-in gender stereotyping for both men and women from a young age: The President is a role for Men, capital "M", and Manly Men at that. See also: Trump's "Locker Room Talk" not dropping his vote (even though it dropped his polling numbers). Because Manly Men know what they want and take it.

Late unrelated edit:

Not sure if this has been posted? It's over two weeks old, so I may have missed it in the immediate post-election blues.

Stunned By Trump, The New York Times Finds Time For Some Soul-Searching

It was a shock on arriving at the New York Times in 2004, as the paper’s movie editor, to realize that its editorial dynamic was essentially the reverse. By and large, talented reporters scrambled to match stories with what internally was often called “the narrative.” We were occasionally asked to map a narrative for our various beats a year in advance, square the plan with editors, then generate stories that fit the pre-designated line.

The bigger shock came on being told, at least twice, by Times editors who were describing the paper’s daily Page One meeting: “We set the agenda for the country in that room.”

Found via Nate Silver's Twitter:

Nate Silver Verified account
‏@NateSilver538

The NYT makes very aggressive, narrative-shaping editorial choices instead of taking a more open, pluralistic view:

I'm still in my free offer period with the NYT, though I did take advantage of a paid subscription offer a little before the election. You can bet I'm cancelling my subscription when it gets close to the payment period. The New Yorker does some good in-depth work, and I think it deserves to be paid for.

No. At the end of the day Democrats ran a candidate who considers their primary constituency to be Wall Street and megamillionaires. You can talk about sexism this and the FBI that. But at the end of the day had the Democrats run an otherwise similar candidate who was also a white male like Tim Kaine (Big Daddy Kaine as Hill-Gaf love call him) or Andrew Cuomo, we still would have lost this election.

You can talk about "most qualified" but you're completely missing the point. When you're running for president, you aren't just describing how fit you are for the job or how closely you've studied others who have held the mantle, you are defining what the job will be when you become president. When your message is "status quo" and everyone is struggling of course you're going to lose. When your message is "Multinational Corporations and megamillionaires can do no wrong and are the most important people in the world" you will lose. I live in an inner city that is extremely liberal. People here are all liberal, and in general like Obama as a personality, but do no like how he has governed. They don't like the policies his pushed. They don't like how he never prosecuted a single banker responsible for the 2008 crash. They feel disheartened by how little he's fought for things like Social Security and now the DAPL. And they feel like he's abandoned them and sided with wealthy donors. If your message towards your base and America is more of that, of course you're going to have a depressed turn out and lose the election.

But go ahead. Keep pushing anti-worker pro-megamillionaire politicians like Tim Kaine, Andrew Cuomo, Hillary Clinton, and Chuck Schumer. It's not like me and millions of other people in America and around the world are going to suffer from it. Oh wait...!

Trump is going to be president for four years. That's an eternity in political terms.

If your goal is "non-normalization" of Trump, you are going to be sorely disappointed. He's GOING to be normalized, whether you like it or not. The vast majority of people do not give enough of a shit about politics to be up in arms about everything Donnie does and says, and his lies and BS will sink into the background like Bush's malapropisms and general stupidity did.

What's going to sink Trump is his failing to deliver on the shit he said he was going to do, good and bad, not some idealized scenario wherein lazy dummies somehow get woke.

Re: Feingold losing in WI, mob behavior is not rational, and pointing to that as proof that Bernie would have lost doesn't scan. Sanders at the top of the ticket actually exciting people about economic populism, and giving an alternative boogeyman for middle class discontent to unleash itself upon, likely would have altered voting patterns downticket, as well. Hillary being at the top of the ticket put a bad taste in voters' mouths re: liberalism altogether, because of what she was perceived as representing, so someone even FARTHER left than her doing worse is not all that surprising.

Pixieking

Banned
No. At the end of the day Democrats ran a candidate who considers their primary constituency to be Wall Street and megamillionaires. You can talk about sexism this and the FBI that. But at the end of the day had the Democrats run an otherwise similar candidate who was also a white male like Tim Kaine (Big Daddy Kaine as Hill-Gaf love call him) or Andrew Cuomo, we still would have lost this election.

You can talk about "most qualified" but you're completely missing the point. When you're running for president, you aren't just describing how fit you are for the job or how closely you've studied others who have held the mantle, you are defining what the job will be when you become president. When your message is "status quo" and everyone is struggling of course you're going to lose. When your message is "Multinational Corporations and megamillionaires can do no wrong and are the most important people in the world" you will lose. I live in an inner city that is extremely liberal. People here are all liberal, and in general like Obama as a personality, but do no like how he has governed. They don't like the policies his pushed. They don't like how he never prosecuted a single banker responsible for the 2008 crash. They feel disheartened by how little he's fought for things like Social Security and now the DAPL. And they feel like he's abandoned them and sided with wealthy donors. If your message towards your base and America is more of that, of course you're going to have a depressed turn out and lose the election.

But go ahead. Keep pushing anti-worker pro-megamillionaire politicians like Tim Kaine, Andrew Cuomo, Hillary Clinton, and Chuck Schumer. It's not like me and millions of other people in America and around the world are going to suffer from it. Oh wait...!

I'm having trouble squaring what you say there with this:
Close loopholes that let banks make risky investments with taxpayer money. The Volcker Rule prohibits banks from making risky trading bets with taxpayer-backed money—one of the core protections of the post-financial crisis Wall Street reforms. However, under current law these banks can still invest billions through hedge funds, which are exempt from this rule. Hillary would close that loophole and strengthen the law.

Hold senior bankers accountable when a large bank suffers major losses. When a large bank suffers major losses with sweeping consequences, senior managers should lose some or all of their bonus compensation.

Prosecuting individuals when they break the law. Hillary would extend the statute of limitations for prosecuting major financial frauds, enhance whistleblower rewards, and provide the Department of Justice and the Securities and Exchange Commission with more resources to prosecute wrongdoing.

Holding executives accountable when they are responsible for their subordinates’ misconduct. Hillary believes that when corporations pay large fines to the government for violating the law, those fines should cut into the bonuses of the executives who were responsible for or should have caught the problem. And when egregious misconduct happens on an executive’s watch, that executive should lose his or her job.

( https://www.hillaryclinton.com/issues/wall-street/ )

And this:

Defend Social Security against Republican attacks. Republicans are using scare tactics about the future and effectiveness of Social Security to push through policies that would jeopardize it. The real threat is Republican attempts to undermine the bedrock of the system. Hillary believes that Social Security must remain what it has always been: a rock-solid benefit that seniors can always count on—not subject to the budget whims of Congress or to the fluctuations of the stock market. She fought Republican efforts to undermine Social Security when she was a senator and throughout her career, and she will fight them as president. As president, she would:

Fight any attempts to gamble seniors’ retirement security on the stock market through privatization.

Oppose reducing annual cost-of-living adjustments.

Oppose Republican efforts to raise the retirement age—an unfair idea that will particularly hurt the seniors who have worked the hardest throughout their lives.

Oppose closing the long-term shortfall on the backs of the middle class, whether through benefit cuts or tax increases.

Expand Social Security for those who need it most and who are treated unfairly by the current system—including women who are widows and those who took significant time out of the paid workforce to take care of their children, aging parents, or ailing family members. Social Security works well, but it should work better. Hillary will fight to expand Social Security for those who need it most and who are treated unfairly today. For instance:

The poverty rate for widowed women 65 or older is nearly 90 percent higher than for other seniors—in part because when a spouse dies, families can face a steep benefit cut. For a two-earner couple, those benefit cuts can be as much as 50 percent. Hillary believes that we have to change that by reducing how much Social Security benefits drop when a spouse dies, so that the loss of a spouse doesn’t mean financial hardship or falling into poverty.

Millions of women—and men—take time out of the paid workforce to raise a child, take care of an aging parent or look after an ailing family member. Caregiving is hard work that benefits our entire economy. However, when Americans take time off to take care of a relative, that can reduce their Social Security benefits at retirement, since those benefits are calculated based on their top 35 years of earnings. No one should face meager Social Security checks because they took on the vital role of caregiver for part of their career. Americans should receive credit toward their Social Security benefits when they are out of the paid workforce because they are acting as caregivers.

Preserve Social Security for decades to come by asking the wealthiest to contribute more. Social Security must continue to guarantee dignity in retirement for future generations. Hillary understands that there is no way to accomplish that goal without asking the highest-income Americans to pay more, including options to tax some of their income above the current Social Security cap and taxing some of their income not currently taken into account by the Social Security system.

( https://www.hillaryclinton.com/issues/social-security-and-medicare/ )

Certainly, Obama's stumping for her could be a double-edged sword, and certainly Wall Street is a factor still due to campaign funding. But I fail to see how the Dems fronting someone less "mega-millionaire" would've changed the result.

Unless, of course, you're talking about the perception of "mega-millionaire" candidates. In which case, you're talking about messaging and perception, not policy. And most here have already acknowledged that Hillary and her campaign could've done a far better job of messaging. Though how is difficult to explain.

The media are now (and have been throughout the campaign) seeing the same kind of issues as Hillary did - it's hard to push a message when the PEOTUS/GOP candidate burrows so deep into insane fuckery and lying that you have to play defense and fact-checker over half the time. People say Trump is some wise tactician because his tweets are so insane the news has to report on them, which buries Trump's bad news problems. And this is exactly what happened to Hillary during the campaign - it's hard to fight on policy when your opponent admits to sexual assault, and then says in a debate it's locker room talk, and debunked.

Unrelated:

‘End of History’ Author Says Donald Trump Could Signal a Shift From the Liberal World Order

Short Q&A with Francis Fukuyama. It's WSJ, so currently not paywalled, but I C&P'd the entire thing into a txt doc, so if it becomes paywalled later, give me a shout and I'll paste the whole lot. :)

First question plus partial answer:

Q: You have said Donald Trump’s winning the White House is a watershed moment for world order. Why?

A: The bottom line of Trump’s policy is quite consistent: He’s a nationalist, both in terms of economic policy and global political order. He’s not going to buy into the type of cooperative arrangements that have been the underpinning of the liberal world order since the late 1940s.

But the real question that people have to pay attention to is, when he can’t get his way, which I suspect is going to be the case, is he going to escalate to more serious things like protective tariffs or punitive actions against companies that invest overseas?

I'm having trouble squaring what you say there with this:

( https://www.hillaryclinton.com/issues/wall-street/ )

And this:

( https://www.hillaryclinton.com/issues/social-security-and-medicare/ )

Certainly, Obama's stumping for her could be a double-edged sword, and certainly Wall Street is a factor still due to campaign funding. But I fail to see how the Dems fronting someone less "mega-millionaire" would've changed the result.

Unless, of course, you're talking about the perception of "mega-millionaire" candidates. In which case, you're talking about messaging and perception, not policy.
Stop pretending like burying policy positions you only took because of Bernie Sanders in the bowels of your campaign website is the same having it be a key position of your message and platform. No one believes your going to stand up for Social Security when your'e literally best friends with Goldman Sachs and Lloyd Blankfein, the life goals of both of which are to privatize social security. No one believes your going to stand up for Social Security when Obama spent 6 years of his presidency begging Republicans to agree to cut it with him. I got news for you. Americans hate the elite cocktail parties. And they hate everyone in them.

Clinton had to have her arm twisted to adopt Bernie Sanders' most popular positions and after the convention never mentioned them again. We live in the digital age. Everyone saw that. Everyone knows that at her core, Clinton is more allied with Wall Street and Mega-millionaires than Bernie Sanders. It's impossible to change that image when you're giving Goldman Sachs private speeches for $200,000. That's more than I'll make in 15 years of my life in an hour.

If you think candidates like Tim Kaine and Andrew Cuomo and Ram Emanuel would have won the presidency vs Trump you are actively holding the democratic party back from winning elections. If you don't see how Bernie Sanders or a similar leftist populist would have won in place of Clinton you are actively holding the democratic party back from winning elections.

There is absolutely no way Tim Kain, Andrew Cuomo, Rahm Emanuel, and Chuck Schumer and any of Wall Street democrats could have done better against Trump than Hillary Clinton. For 25 years we've tried it the Hillary way. We've aligned the party with mega-millionaires, Wall Street, and multinational corporations. We've run almost nothing but candidates thoroughly vetted and approved by those people. And it's destroyed the democratic party as an institution.

213372bu

Banned
Actually, what you're doing here is somewhat narrow-minded. Nobody absolves the Clinton campaign of the mistakes it made, but to say the outcome of this election and the conflict currently facing our media haa nothing to do with a Trump/Bannon strategy because "LOL guys they're just dumb!" when Bannon is out there flat out telling you, "Hey, yeah, so this is our strategy" is intentionally turning a blind eye to what's being forced in our faces.

But there's a difference between tactics and results. It's important to understand both. None of the reasons you gave provide insight to why their campaign was run so chaotically during election and now during the transition. I think you're feeding into your own biases here too much. You'd rather believe that they are dumb and won by coincidence than they have some semblance of a game plan.

Plus Trump's messages, no matter how ridiculous they were, actually hit the right points and resonated with a lot of white folks. I don't think that was mere coincidence.

I never claimed they were "just dumb" but painting out rather obvious tactics as elaborate and implicitly claiming they are sourced from Russia is ludicrous.

Rather than believe that Trump's every action has been dictated by Putin through decades of Russian tactics, it's quite simple to just say his actions for what they are. He manipulated people by pandering to demographics that are plentiful and have lots of unrest. He acted brashly and purposefully broke status quo to attract attention and convey his anti-establishment campaign. He took advantage of modern America's discontent at establishment figures and inaction red tape. The type of article I quoted is empty, inane thinkpieces that just regurgitate the same information with useless additions. Ascribing Trump/Bannon's tactics as a "'darkness' strategy" and tying its origin with Putin/Surkov, implying Trump's strategies were derived directly from Putin himself. Adding in more useless terms like "non-linear warfare".

The call-to-arms is probably the most laughable part. It's like a weekly update on impossible ways to "fix" the election.

Take the first call-to-arms for example: "Social media companies need to be held accountable for facilitating the spread of misinformation." They need to change.

-There is no action suggested on how to fix this at all, it's just an empty suggestion. Should the government step in? Will a mass boycott of Facebook fix this? Nothing is suggested and no action will reasonably take place.
-"They’ve since taken some small steps to rectify their errors, but for now, at least, it’s too little too late." The author acknowledges that Facebook is working toward the author's goal independently but... it's too late? Isn't the whole point to take action now in preparation for the next election and to change the current climate?

Trump is going to be president for four years. That's an eternity in political terms.

If your goal is "non-normalization" of Trump, you are going to be sorely disappointed. He's GOING to be normalized, whether you like it or not. The vast majority of people do not give enough of a shit about politics to be up in arms about everything Donnie does and says, and his lies and BS will sink into the background like Bush's malapropisms and general stupidity did.

What's going to sink Trump is his failing to deliver on the shit he said he was going to do, good and bad, not some idealized scenario wherein lazy dummies somehow get woke.

Re: Feingold losing in WI, mob behavior is not rational, and pointing to that as proof that Bernie would have lost doesn't scan. Sanders at the top of the ticket actually exciting people about economic populism, and giving an alternative boogeyman for middle class discontent to unleash itself upon, likely would have altered voting patterns downticket, as well. Hillary being at the top of the ticket put a bad taste in voters' mouths re: liberalism altogether, because of what she was perceived as representing, so someone even FARTHER left than her doing worse is not all that surprising.

I agree. I think if a person wants to internalize, for themselves, the lack of normalcy his presidency represents then that's fine, but it would make for terrible political strategy. Anything, given enough time, will just become the way things are. And frankly, the sooner the left accepts that this is reality now and turns their shock into action, the better.

I think it would be wise for the left to be loud and clear about every failure Trump makes along the way the next few years (which is hopefully common sense). This is a guy who said he alone can "fix" the country, which I think is highly susceptible to being one-termed by anyone who is relentless in pointing out how bold a lie that turned out to be (assuming he doesn't do well in his first term, which I'd imagine is the safe bet). We also have to accept that Trump, in every circumstance, will have some reason that every failure along the way isn't his fault, and it would be in the democrats' best interest to have a plan to counteract his scapegoating.

Pixieking

Banned
Stop pretending like burying policy positions you only took because of Bernie Sanders in the bowels of your campaign website is the same having it be a key position of your message and platform. No one believes your going to stand up for Social Security when your'e literally best friends with Goldman Sachs and Lloyd Blankfein, the life goals of both of which are to privatize social security. No one believes your going to stand up for Social Security when Obama spent 6 years of his presidency begging Republicans to agree to cut it with him. I got news for you. Americans hate the elite cocktail parties. And they hate everyone in them.

Clinton had to have her arm twisted to adopt Bernie Sanders' most popular positions and after the convention never mentioned them again.

If you think candidates like Tim Kaine and Andrew Cuomo and Ram Emanuel would have won the presidency vs Trump you are actively holding the democratic party back from winning elections. If you don't see how Bernie Sanders or a similar leftist populist would have won in place of Clinton you are actively holding the democratic party back from winning elections.

Have you read the last few pages of discussions about how Feinstein lost, even though he was running to the left of Hillary on economics? Not black and white, but that goes both ways.

Have you looked at the Primary results which saw Bernie lose?

Have you read about Hillary's plans to regulate Wall Street (specifically sub-prime mortgage regulations) in 2007? Has Bernie even done this much in his time as Senator?

Perhaps you might have a more persuasive argument if you were less hyperbolic and ignorant of the many many reasons why Hillary lost. No doubt some will not have voted for her due to Wall Street ties. But arguing that Bernie (or one like him) would've won is... Not the right lesson to be learned here. Or, at least, not the sole lesson to be learned here.

I think it would be wise for the left to be loud and clear about every failure Trump makes along the way the next few years (which is hopefully common sense). This is a guy who said he alone can "fix" the country, which I think is highly susceptible to being one-termed by anyone who is relentless in pointing out how bold a lie that turned out to be (assuming he doesn't do well in his first term, which I'd imagine is the safe bet). We also have to accept that Trump, in every circumstance, will have some reason that every failure along the way isn't his fault, and it would be in the democrats' best interest to have a plan to counteract his scapegoating.

If the Democratic Party had any political nous, this would all be a done deal. Staffers and researchers would be hired full time to collate and précis how Trump has lied, and how badly his term is going.

But that's a big "if". So... Don't hold your breath. :/

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Exit polls just aren't that accurate. They certainly aren't more accurate than regular polling.

The reliable way to construct conclusions is from the voter file.

I'm assuming good quality ones, in some fairness - that means you don't have the cluster effect and shouldn't have absentee exclusion. You still get non-response bias, but you get that in all polling. And yes, I did work in the industry, which is why I feel pretty comfortable saying exit polls are more accurate than ordinary polls - not perfect, but certainly more accurate. (I might actually tweet Cohn about that article - I think it is poorly written). That's why we do them. If they weren't more accurate, why would we bother with something which is significantly more expensive and time-consuming to conduct? It's much cheaper to do 17,000 random cold-calls or get 1,000 people to participate in an internet survey than it is to get 250 staff to stand outside ballot booths properly distributed throughout the country throughout the day. I think most companies would love not to have to do them!

Voter registration files are an even better source, yes, but they only allow us to assess certain sorts of information. You can run correlations between e.g. the Trump vote and registered voter demographics, but you can't tell from how someone registered whether they think that Trump or Clinton is honest or dishonest; or what they think of NAFTA; or their stance on gay marriage. So they provide a very accurate look at a smaller set of data; exit polls provide a less accurate look at a larger set of data; and ordinary polls provide the least accurate look at the largest set of data. Each has their uses.

Have you read the last few pages of discussions about how Feinstein lost, even though he was running to the left of Hillary on economics?

Have you looked at the Primary results which saw Bernie lose?

Have you read about Hillary's plans to regulate Wall Street (specifically sub-prime mortgage regulations) in 2007?

Perhaps you might have a more persuasive argument if you were less hyperbolic and ignorant of the many many reasons why Hillary lost. No doubt some will not have voted for her due to Wall Street ties. But arguing that Bernie (or one like him) would've won is... Not the right lesson to be learned here. Or, at least, not the sole lesson to be learned here.
Of course down party tickets are going to suffer in an election were the top of the ticket is so weak. That's the nature of elections. Your golden boy Patrick Murphy lost too, lest you forget.

Politifact is a joke, is absolutely atrocious as a fact checking website, and I can't believe you linked them.

There are a number of reasons why Bernie Sanders lost the primary I've gone through them over and over on this forum and don't care to rewrite all the reasons why. The fact of the matter is that he was the better candidate in the general election. Because he's a populist in a populist era. He sides with the general populace and not with the mega-millionaire donor-class. I can't believe you seriously think Tim Kaine, Rahm Emanuel and Andrew Cuomo are going to carry the democrats to victory in 2020. This party and this nation are doomed if you get your way. If Hillary couldn't win against Trump all your golden boys you keep pushing are even more doomed.

I added this after you responded to my post. I think it stands repeating.

There is absolutely no way Tim Kain, Andrew Cuomo, Rahm Emanuel, and Chuck Schumer and any of Wall Street democrats could have done better against Trump than Hillary Clinton. For 25 years we've tried it the Hillary way. We've aligned the party with mega-millionaires, Wall Street, and multinational corporations. We've run almost nothing but candidates thoroughly vetted and approved by those people. And it's destroyed the democratic party as an institution.

You can't be party of the people when your aligned with organizations fundamentally opposed to those workers obtaining a decent living.

Pixieking

Banned
Politifact is a joke, is absolutely atrocious as a fact checking website, and I can't believe you linked them.

I think this is the most egregious statement I've seen on NeoGAF (at least since I saw someone say Life Is Strange was good. :p )

And I say that not because you don't like Politifact (you have that right), but because it shows you didn't even click on the link.

If you had, you would've seen this:
It didn’t become law, but Clinton sponsored a bill to implement these policies in September 2007.

Clicking on "sponsored a bill" would've taken you here: https://www.congress.gov/bill/110th-congress/senate-bill/2114

Sponsor: Sen. Clinton, Hillary Rodham [D-NY] (Introduced 09/27/2007)
Committees: Senate - Banking, Housing, and Urban Affairs
Latest Action: 09/27/2007 Read twice and referred to the Committee on Banking, Housing, and Urban Affairs. (All Actions)
Tracker: This bill has the status Introduced

Here are the steps for Status of Legislation:

Introduced

More on This Bill

CBO Cost Estimates [0]

Subject — Policy Area:

Housing and Community Development
View subjects

Summary (1) Text (1) Actions (1) Titles (2) Amendments (0) Cosponsors (0) Committees (1) Related Bills (0)

Summary: S.2114 — 110th Congress (2007-2008)
All Bill Information (Except Text)

There is one summary for S.2114. Bill summaries are authored by CRS.
Shown Here:
Introduced in Senate (09/27/2007)

American Home Ownership Preservation Act of 2007 - Amends the Truth in Lending Act to require certain mortgage originators or lenders with primary responsibility for underwriting an assessment on a home mortgage loan to include a borrower's ability to repay certain associated costs.

Requires a mortgage broker to clearly disclose its relationship to the borrower.

Directs the federal banking agencies to establish a nationwide registry and database system in which all mortgage brokers in the United States must register.

Eliminates prepayment penalties for home mortgages.

Instructs the Secretary of the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) to make grants to state governments and tribal organizations to assist: (1) programs established for foreclosure mitigation; and (2) housing trust funds supporting low- and moderate-income housing.

Amends the Federal Housing Enterprises Financial Safety and Soundness Act of 1992 to direct the HUD Secretary to establish an annual goal for each government-sponsored enterprise to identify and assist homeowners at risk of default or foreclosure on their mortgage, but who would be able to stabilize the situation with fixed rate 30- or 40-year mortgages.

Authorizes appropriations for mortgage fraud enforcement and prosecution.

Note:

Sponsor: Sen. Clinton, Hillary Rodham [D-NY]

That you couldn't even be bothered to look in-depth at what I said is pretty telling.

Don't bother responding. you're on ignore now.

I think this is the most egregious statement I've seen on NeoGAF (at least since I saw someone say Life Is Strange was good. :p )

And I say that not because you don't like Politifact (you have that right), but because it shows you didn't even click on the link.

If you had, you would've seen this:

Clinking on "sponsored a bill" would've taken you here: https://www.congress.gov/bill/110th-congress/senate-bill/2114

Note:

That you couldn't even be bothered to look in-depth at what I said is pretty telling.

Don't bother responding. you're on ignore now.
You're right.I didn't click the link. Politifact have spent years giving arbitrarily rating things with no rhyme or reason. They will look at statements, state that the statements are true, but will still list statements are "Half-true" or "mostly-false" or even "Pants on fire" for absolutely arbitrary reasons and I have decided half a decade ago to not given them traffic or recognition because they are absolutely abysmal at their job. It's a trash website. Absolutely terrible at it's job. Do you really want me to get bogged down posting dozens of absolutely bullshit politifact ratings? It's no fault of mine you linked an irreputable website.

Go ahead and ignore me. Ignoring warnings is all the democratic party is good at these days. It's easy for you to sit back and want the Democrats to keep running losing strategies when it's people like me that actually suffer the consequences of Democrats losing.

I have not read a single a positive thing about Emmanuel, Schumer, or Cuomo since I've started reading these threads and I especially have not read anyone suggesting they be the standard-bearers of the party. For obvious reasons(Laquan McDonald, Iran deal opposition, being almost cartoonishly corrupt) and more. Why do they keep being brought up?

Pixieking

Banned
I have not read a single a positive thing about Emmanuel, Schumer, or Cuomo since I've started reading these threads and I especially have not read anyone suggesting they be the standard-bearers of the party. For obvious reasons(Laquan McDonald, Iran deal opposition, being almost cartoonishly corrupt) and more. Why do they keep being brought up?

Straw Man arguments for why the Dems should go more left-wing, I guess.

They all have powerful positions because they run in safe states (city in Emanuel's case) with strong Democrat machines that reward the establishment. Policy-wise they're rubber stamps for local business interests and liberal social issues to keep the progressives quiet. Cuomo earned a lot of brownie points for passing gay marriage when he did, even though he's used the R State Senate as a convenient excuse to never go too far (although the Democrats in the NY Senate actually are cartoonishly corrupt, so pick your poison).

They're not going away until they're termed out, Schumer will be in office for life unless there's ever a massive R shift in NY.

Pixieking

Banned
‘I will give you everything.’ Here are 282 of Donald Trump’s campaign promises.

I'd forgotten how hilarious and/or ignorant some of these were... For instance,

6) “Get Apple to start building their damn computers and things in this country, instead of in other countries.”

Also from the (blessed? :p ) WaPo:

The mainstream media had the Worst Week in Washington

Even as the media continues to reel from largely missing the stunning upset pulled by Donald Trump on Nov. 8, the president-elect spent the past seven days proving that he will be the single biggest coverage challenge political journalism has ever faced.

Late edit:
Sam Wang ‏@SamWangPhD 2m2 minutes ago

NC governor's election drama continues; McCrory looks for ways to question Cooper's narrow lead. For more, follow @gregflynn and @NCSBE

Wilsongt

Todd didn’t quite get why this is happening. Yahoo columnist Matt Bai said, “I don’t understand the political play. I don’t really understand why Jill Stein is doing it at this point. I don’t really understand what the Clinton campaign is doing.”

New York Times correspondent Helene Cooper recalled 2000 and wondered why Stein would pursue recounts in three separate states.

Todd then suggested, “Somebody talked Jill Stein into this… That’s what it smells like.” He elaborated:

Oh just fuck right off, Chuck.

Because they're the standard bearers for the Hillary Clinton establishment wing of the party. These guys are all on the shortlist for being the Democratic nominee in 2020. Kaine, Cuomo, and Emanuel are all preparing for the 2020 democratic primary as we speak. Cuomo has been prepping since he became governor of New York. Either Kaine or Cuomo are going to be endorsed by Clinton / Obama during the next primary. These guys are the only people being mentioned by cable news as potential leaders of the democratic party. Anytime 2020 is brought up, all three of those guys are quickly mentioned as being the only possible options by the Democratic Establishment and mainstream news media. This should terrify you unless you want Trump to get 8 years as president.

Don't be angry at me for bringing them up if you aren't huge fans of them. Be angry at CNN, CBS, and NBC for constantly bringing them up the "phoenix rising" of the Democratic Party. Be angry at the donors for donating and pushing these candidates. They're the ones saying Hillary supporters love them.

Schumer at least seems to understand which way the wind is blowing based on his endorsement of Ellison as DNC chair and him bringing Bernie and Warren into the Democratic senate leadership. I think he's afraid of a serious primary challenger. He should be.

Cuomo isn't going to run lol

He'd never make it past the primary. Like, at all. No chance.

I think he's afraid of a serious primary challenger. He should be.
I can tell you're not from NY if you think Schumer is ever going to be afraid of losing an election.

Pro-Tip: New York isn't as liberal as you think it is. It's more of an old-school Democrat state. Unless you actually believe someone can go out there and talk about the evils of Wall Street... and actually win Wall Street?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom