• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT16| Unpresidented

Status
Not open for further replies.
Evangelicals propose truce over LGBTQ rights in hopes of ‘Fairness for All’

I've got a compromise for them. They can go fuck themselves, that's my compromise. Seriously? You want to compromise and negotiate for equal rights for people you don't even see as human beings?

All this is, is them wanting to continue to discriminate against LGBTQ people without retaliation, which they're going to get anyway due to religious freedom laws that will sweep the nation the next 4 years. They can kiss my ass.

You never compromise on civil rights. People would sheer stupid to do such a thing. Basically would mean you get half your rights and you still treated as second class citizens. However, I fully expect some form of "moderates" willing to "compromise". Also it is just a tactic to gradually erode people's rights. Anyone that falls for stuff like this needs their head checked, especially some that supports LGBTQ rights.

I guess Republicans don't care about their majority if they are willing to cut medicare. Yet again GOP voters played themselves like a instrument.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I'll eat my bourbon bottle if Trump cuts social security or Medicare.

Yep. It's a smokescreen they can use as a bargaining chip to destroy other things.

Republicans: We'll leave Medicare alone if you let us gut the Clean Air Act.
Democrats: OK, we both get something out of this.

studyguy

So the the GOP can pass the cuts and Trump can refuse to sign them. Seems fine from my perspective.

Honestly I'd be surprised if Trump has any real opinions of his own.
Beyond approval ratings I doubt he has a genuine bone in his body towards the concerns of the public at large.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I'll eat my bourbon bottle if Trump cuts social security or Medicare.

At the very least, it's pretty damn clear that the speaker of the house and Trump's health secretary both really want to cut Medicare, and aren't really afraid to say so. You would think Trump would choose a different health secretary if he had real convictions towards not cutting medicare.

The only real hope is McConnell putting a stop to it knowing it's political suicide for the party.

So the the GOP can pass the cuts and Trump can refuse to sign them. Seems fine from my perspective.

More likely the GOP will pass the cuts, Trump will sign it, and then proceed to claim they're not cuts, but actually are an expansion.

Kusagari

I'd laugh if Trump signs the cuts and then lashes out at the Republicans in congress when shit hits the fan saying they lied to him.

Balphon

That would imply Trump has a policy agenda.

The guy who said he didn't initially intend to pursue an agreement with Carrier because his comments about them were a "euphanism." [sic]

The guy who has attended more rallies in the last four weeks than intelligence briefings.

The guy who wants to spend as little time in the White House as possible.

That guy.

He isn't going to refuse to sign anything, at least not of his own accord. He'll rubber-stamp what he's sent and then blame any backlash on somebody else.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
I think it might be a mistake to assume that Trump has any concerns about what policies do or do not get implemented. He's going to sell a narrative regardless of the actual product, as conmen do.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Yep. It's a smokescreen they can use as a bargaining chip to destroy other things.

Republicans: We'll leave Medicare alone if you let us gut the Clean Air Act.
Democrats: OK, we both get something out of this.

The last 8 years culminated in the ultimate wake up call for Dems.

They won't play ball on anything since Republicans have the House, Senate and Presidency especially after Schumer's comments.

I think it might be a mistake to assume that Trump has any concerns about what policies do or do not get implemented. He's going to sell a narrative regardless of the actual product, as conmen do.

I agree to an extent, but with some things it's impossible to have a narrative effective enough, even built entirely on lies.

Allard

With a GOP congress and conservative SCOTUS?

Of course it will.

Last I looked Kennedy and 4 other progressive Justices were still on the Supreme Court, it can and likely will happen (unfortunately) that one of those progressive justices might retire before end of the term for Trump, but right now all Trump is capable of replacing is Scalia and we all know what his opinion on it was.

Also unless they get rid of the filibuster rule in the senate those bills aren't going anywhere. Democrats didn't regain the senate, but they still gained seats. Which is why we need to keep a fire under dems current in congress to be there to stonewall any legislation that clearly is damaging to these groups and work toward 2018 to keep the senate from going deep red.

I mean, these are things that the populace does not want and will result in more obvious blowback.

But the populace voted for Trump and friends.

I figure there will be protests. And then theyll stop and become complacent. What happened to those "not my president" protests anyway?

royalan

I figure there will be protests. And then theyll stop and become complacent. What happened to those "not my president" protests anyway?

They're still happening in a lot of places. It's the media that's moved on.

Also, as someone who keeps their ear to the ground here in Philly, I've seen more organizing in the last month than I have in years.

With the way Trump's handled the Presidency thus far, as cynical as I am I have a hard time seeing complacency set in like it has in the past.

Right. The populace also voted for George H.W. Bush and then voted for Clinton 4 years later. Sometimes, presidents do things people don't like. It's sort of crazy how a lot of you guys are handwaving every single thing that Trump will do will be forgiven with no point of fighting back. That is weird!

kirblar

The "don't ever let anyone tell you that protesting doesn't work" strawman that sprung up in the pipeline resolution thread was so frustrating. Yes, protesting can work. But to make it work, you need leverage. What that is can vary, but you're not going to make change simply by sitting outside and waving a sign. That's just throwing a tantrum. That doesn't do anything productive, because you're just noise to be filtered out and ignored.

The pipeline protests worked because it wasn't just sign-waving, they were physically blocking construction and creating a torrent of bad press that drew mass amounts of attention.

mo60

Right. The populace also voted for George H.W. Bush and then voted for Clinton 4 years later. Sometimes, presidents do things people don't like. It's sort of crazy how a lot of you guys are handwaving every single thing that Trump will do will be forgiven with no point of fighting back. That is weird!

Yeah. Just because a political party wins one election that does not mean they will win the next one especially if voters did not support that political party because they like them a lot, but to block another politcal party they hated a ton(i.e trump in 2016 and the Alberta PC's in 2012 in Alberta). With HRC gone the democrats could win the next election if they find a decent candidate and trump screws up a ton.

They're still happening in a lot of places. It's the media that's moved on.

Also, as someone who keeps their ear to the ground here in Philly, I've seen more organizing in the last month than I have in years.

With the way Trump's handled the Presidency thus far, as cynical as I am I have a hard time seeing complacency set in like it has in the past.

Good. Complacency is our enemy right now. Thats the worst thing right now, the media just shat itselfs and died. The media is useless.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony

Fucking chrrriiissst the way Trump talks is so completely free of saying anything while sounding like he's saying everything.

This is why people underestimated him. His speech and style of reasoning precisely mirrors the thinking of people who are so ignorant they don't know they're ignorant. He is an unspeakably dangerous mob leader.

Fucking chrrriiissst the way Trump talks is so completely free of saying anything while sounding like he's saying everything.

This is why people underestimated him. His speech and style of reasoning precisely mirrors the thinking of people who are so ignorant they don't know they're ignorant. He is an unspeakably dangerous mob leader.

Yup

Its the way he says a bunch of words and uses repetition but at the same time is saying nothing that makes him dangerous.

Donald J Trump Elementary School
I mean are there any schools named after Nixon?

Because I suspect Trump's presidency ends similarly, and without any of the positives of Nixon's presidency (the EPA and relations with China, two things Trump will probably in fact severely undermine if not destroy)

I mean are there any schools named after Nixon?

Because I suspect Trump's presidency ends similarly, and without any of the positives of Nixon's presidency (the EPA and relations with China, two things Trump will probably in fact severely undermine if not destroy)

Richard Nixon Elementary

100% of Richard Nixon schools dropped the Richard part and are just "Nixon" though. And they all ignore the man and just pretend Nixon is a generic name I guess.

Veelk

Banned
My mom is watching Trump's speech right now. I had to close the room because his voice is so annoying.

I have no idea whatsoever how people listen to him drone on and on and on and on.

What the fuck is he even saying that's important or even interesting? I don't get it. Why would anyone willingly listen to his shit?

FStop7

Banned
Trump and the GOP pass a law saying all businesses can discriminate based on sexual orientation. It's explicitly written to disallow states from having their own laws about it.

California and Jerry Brown say "lol no" and do not implement the laws and continue to punish those who do it.

What does Donald Trump do? What happens when Washington, Oregon, Massachusetts and New York join California? Does he send in the army to enforce discrimination? Does he arrest Brown and Cuomo and the others? What if there are protests in blue states he doesn't like? And the governors aren't stopping them. Does he "handle" them himself? Does this cause the cracks in the country and the start of a potential second civil war?

I just don't see CA playing nice with Trump. The 6th largest economy in the world has a lot of weight to throw around. What CA doesn't want, CA doesn't do. But I also don't see Trump handling a state saying "nope, not doing that." He doesn't seem capable of being told no, because he believes he has absolute power and how dare California ignore him.

This could happen over marijuana. California legalized it but it's still Schedule 1. That's very dangerous because it could put state and federal law enforcement into armed confrontations with each other.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
lol Cruz and Lee want to pass LGBT discrimination bills. I'M SURE THAT WILL GO OVER WELL.

And to think, just two years ago I was somewhat optimistic about Boehner being pressured into putting the ENDA up for vote and a straight path into it becoming law.

What a different world this is.

Alexandra JaffeVerified account
‏@ajjaffe
Whoa—chant of "lock her up!" from the crowd, Trump replies: "That plays great before the election – now we don’t care"

tuxfool

Banned
That's gonna be the swankiest elementary school of all time. Golden monkey bars, steak and caviar in the lunch room.

Think about all the other real estate with his name on it.

Alexandra JaffeVerified account
‏@ajjaffe
Whoa—chant of "lock her up!" from the crowd, Trump replies: "That plays great before the election – now we don’t care"
I find that hard to believe. But if it is true, I'm more interested in the reaction from the crowd.

And to think, just two years ago I was somewhat optimistic about Boehner being pressured into putting the ENDA up for vote and a straight path into it becoming law.

What a different world this is.
On the plus side the fact that ENDA sailed through the Senate pretty easily suggests there's more than enough Republican senators to smack this down.

Next time we have full Dem trifecta I suspect the Equality Act passes with little drama.

Drakeon

Thats...good?

I guess?

Trump never gave a shit about actually locking Hillary up, which is good to an extent, it just shows he knows what his base wants.

It also shows he'll say just about anything to win points with his base when he has 0 plans of being held to anything he said. It's not like anyone's making him pay for it.

kirblar

On the plus side the fact that ENDA sailed through the Senate pretty easily suggests there's more than enough Republican senators to smack this down.

Next time we have full Dem trifecta I suspect the Equality Act passes with little drama.
If they don't go full on blitz the next time they have the trifecta they will never learn anything.

I honestly don't know if this has been posted in the thread yet, but kudos to whomever came up with the Trumpgrets Tumblr page. For all the times I've read on Twitter about Trump supporters drinking liberal tears, this is a chance for us to drink the tears of Trump supporters.

https://trumpgrets.tumblr.com/

And we're back to being so fucked:

Alexandra Jaffe ‏@ajjaffe 8m8 minutes ago
Woman at Trump rally just asked me where in the press pen she could find Infowars...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom