• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT16| Unpresidented

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Iowa wasn't the first state Bernie would have won with absurd margins. It's like, demographically the most perfect state for him, it's just that it's so important Hillary dumped everything into it and had the guy who helped pull off the 08 upset help her squeak out a tie.

FyreWulff

If Iowa wasn't the first state Bernie would have won with absurd margins. It's like, demographically the most perfect state for him, it's just that it's so important Hillary dumped everything into it and had the guy who helped pull off the 08 upset help her squeak out a tie.

Bernie won caucuses that distorted the vote.

Hillary won the primaries in states she lost the caucus in, in the college towns, with higher turnout. Funny that.

Valhelm

contribute something
and proceeded to get stomped in the south lol.

...An area where he didn't really campaign. Bernie's strategy was focusing as much attention he could on states he could win, in hopes that wins (regardless of margin) would raise awareness of his campaign.

Obviously it didn't work.

Bernie won caucuses that distorted the vote.

Hillary won the primaries in states she lost the caucus in, in the college towns, with higher turnout. Funny that.

Hillary won a demographically unfavorable state because she actually invested, worked, campaigned and contested it. That's pretty funny stuff too.

Ted Cruz's victory in Iowa was actually incredibly impressive as well. Really displayed his talents and work ethic. He literally covered every inch of that state.

Had he not set his chances with the entire east coast on fire with his incredibly asinine "New York value's", sort of approach he may have actually won the Primary.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
and proceeded to get stomped in the south lol.

Reminds me of the concern trolling Sanders supporters used to do about Hillary doing better in states that aren't important to the electoral math.

Ended up being kinda right, looking at the 13 states that she increased her popular vote margin over 2012.

fSq7zDi.png

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/133Eb4qQmOxNvtesw2hdVns073R68EZx4SfCnP4IGQf8/

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Reminds me of the concern trolling Sanders supporters used to do about Hillary doing better in states that aren't important to the electoral math.

Ended up being kinda right, looking at the 13 states that she increased her popular vote margin over 2012.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/133Eb4qQmOxNvtesw2hdVns073R68EZx4SfCnP4IGQf8/

Damn, I keep forgetting Arizona was that close. Four years of hard work might be enough to flip that. Texas could potentially go the cycle after that if the local party ever gets it's shit together and puts in the work.

So how does that translate to a favorable performance with the general electorate if he couldn't win in an environment slanted towards him?
Clinton heavily invested, campaigned in, and organized for an Iowa win when her resources were far greater than Sanders and she had the support of the people who helped pull off the '08 Obama win in the state. If Iowa wasn't the first state (and as such worthy of far more effort and investment) Sanders would have crushed it there, just like if Wisconsin was the first state she probably would've done better against him there.

Look, I caucused for Clinton and spent like 100+ hours campaigning with my local Democrats, I'm not whining because it was rigged or anything.

It's just that no one really cared about anything about her other than emails or WALL STREET CORRUPTION. I've met Democrats who think issues like not jailing bankers are a more important concern than global warming.

Those Democrats have a pretty good head on their shoulders. Had the Treasury and Fed not been reacting to fraudulent conduct, they could've instead used all the effort they expelled to solve the financial side of global warming many times over or alternatively gave every citizen a college education at no additional charge.

If you isolate the US by itself, then look at total loss as a % of annual output and response to keep financial systems from collapsing + prevent mass despair...that's a lot of money in a very short timeframe. Locking people up for white-collar crime definitely isn't the joke you're making it out to be. Individuals burdened societies with a lot of unnecessary stress, pain, and wasted our time.

watershed

Banned
I know its spurred by recent articles but its really sad that as a political collective we've now reached the point of imagining how Obama would have fared against Trump.

Finalizer

Damn, I keep forgetting Arizona was that close. Four years of hard work might be enough to flip that. Texas could potentially go the cycle after that if the local party ever gets it's shit together and puts in the work.

i just want to see a blue texas in my lifetime ;_;

Seriously though, I hope Ellison is ready to whip the DNC into shape. Keep Dean around as coach if need be. Ellison is already talking about NC which is music to my ears. Wanna see this ball get rolling ASAP.

I know its spurred by recent articles but its really sad that as a political collective we've now reached the point of imagining how Obama would have fared against Trump.

Can't blame folks for delving into fantasy to escape the Trump nightmare.

Anyone reading up on what's going on with Pantsuit Nation?

Essentially the original creator of the group shut down any political organizing chatter on the group. She is now taking the stories told on the group and repurposing it into a book to benefit a "Pantsuit Nation non-profit." How much will go to the non-profit? Who knows... As for what you get if you let her use your story: you can get credit for your story.

Glad I never joined it.

watershed

Banned
i just want to see a blue texas in my lifetime ;_;

Seriously though, I hope Ellison is ready to whip the DNC into shape. Keep Dean around as coach if need be. Ellison is already talking about NC which is music to my ears. Wanna see this ball get rolling ASAP.

Can't blame folks for delving into fantasy to escape the Trump nightmare.

I don't blame anyone for their escapist political fantasies in light of our awful Trump reality. It's just sad.

Essentially the original creator of the group shut down any political organizing chatter on the group. She is now taking the stories told on the group and repurposing it into a book to benefit a "Pantsuit Nation non-profit." How much will go to the non-profit? Who knows... As for what you get if you let her use your story: you can get credit for your story.

Glad I never joined it.
Pantsuit Nation was always weird. I didn't even know it existed until near the end of the election when some friends added me. I quickly found out that everything is moderated with heavy handed top-down power which is funny for a HIllary fan group.

I'm sure there are plenty of reasons but I don't understand the secrecy around Pantsuit Nation during the election. I feel like Obama's online following was massive and loud. Pantsuit Nation (and I admittedly know very little about it) seemed to be unknown even by Hillary during the campaign.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Pantsuit Nation was always weird. I didn't even know it existed until near the end of the election when some friends added me. I quickly found out that everything is moderated with heavy handed top-down power which is funny for a HIllary fan group.

I'm sure there are plenty of reasons but I don't understand the secrecy around Pantsuit Nation during the election. I feel like Obama's online following was massive and loud. Pantsuit Nation (and I admittedly know very little about it) seemed to be unknown even by Hillary during the campaign.

There were a bunch of those sorts of facebook groups that were generally secret so as to avoid conflict with family members that either went republican or for Bernie. There was a nice Washington Post article about then at the end of the primary when a lot of these groups came out from the shadows.

watershed

Banned
There were a bunch of those sorts of facebook groups that were generally secret so as to avoid conflict with family members that either went republican or for Bernie. There was a nice Washington Post article about then at the end of the primary when a lot of these groups came out from the shadows.

That's what I assumed. I think I read a piece about gender and Pantsuit Nation that was interesting. Problem is secrecy doesn't really work in an election season when being OUT and LOUD are important to turning out voters and being organized.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
That's what I assumed. I think I read a piece about gender and Pantsuit Nation that was interesting. Problem is secrecy doesn't really work in an election season when being OUT and LOUD are important to turning out voters and being organized.

These groups were mainly made up of women and historically they have had to be rather secretive when it comes to their political beliefs, for obvious reasons. It's sort of the nature of women in politics. I wish I had bookmarked the article, it was a fascinating read.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

The new South v North map.

So basically the California/Texas alliance of the southwest, the merged megacity of the northeast, and Chicago and Atlanta stranded in a sea of read.

Since Minnesota had the same rural collapse that the other upper Midwestern states had (compare Obama's county maps to Clinton's) but stayed blue by like 2%, is this because she had better margins in rural Minnesota than rural Wisconsin/Michigan or because of Wisconsinites moving to the Twin Cities and staying strong because of them unlike its sister?

If the latter, it seems unlikely to flip in the future if the trend is that young Wisconsinites continue to migrate to Minnesota.

Also I think banking on Texas in the future is a really bad idea, just because we lost it by "only" 9% doesn't mean it's flipping any time soon. Let's wait for Arizona to go before we start trying to flip Texas. Like, let's work with the map we have before fantasizing about the eternal majority that we'll be locked into because of demographic destiny. Arizona is close and we should contest it. Texas is not close and we shouldn't be expecting it to bail us out of losing the entire upper Midwest.

Valhelm

contribute something
The new South v North map.

So basically the California/Texas alliance of the southwest, the merged megacity of the northeast, and Chicago and Atlanta stranded in a sea of read.

There's no scenario in which Texas and Georgia go blue but Florida and North Carolina don't.

Finalizer

Also I think banking on Texas in the future is a really bad idea, just because we lost it by "only" 9% doesn't mean it's flipping any time soon. Let's wait for Arizona to go before we start trying to flip Texas. Like, let's work with the map we have before fantasizing about the eternal majority that we'll be locked into because of demographic destiny. Arizona is close and we should contest it. Texas is not close and we shouldn't be expecting it to bail us out of losing the entire upper Midwest.

Texas is definitely a long-term thing, but it should at least be pushed. Presidential candidates don't need to be holding rallies there for that, just get the 50-state ball rolling.

By the time Texas goes Blue, NC will be the new Virginia and Florida will be blue again.

I feel like FL is gonna stay weird being America's Elephant Graveyard and all.

royalan

I was a member of Pantsuit Nation (although yeah I also hadn't heard of it until a friend of mine added me).

But it had its reasons for being so secretive. It got pretty hostile to be a open Hillary fan anywhere but GAF.

There's no scenario in which Texas and Georgia go blue but Florida and North Carolina don't.

Hell, at this point I would say there is no scenario where North Carolina doesn't go blue in 2020. Yes I know NCGOP will do everything they can to suppress the democratic vote, but with the way they are pissing off NC voters their suppression efforts are only going to further embolden voters.

Like what are they going to do if Democratic donors start literally putting billions of dollars into getting voters the necessary IDs and start just paying their employers to give them whole days off to go vote?

And FL and PA only went red this year due to unprecedented rural turnout. I very much doubt that Trump will be able to get these rural voters voting in record numbers in 2020.

Texas is definitely a long-term thing, but it should at least be pushed. Presidential candidates don't need to be holding rallies there for that, just get the 50-state ball rolling.

I feel like FL is gonna stay weird being America's Elephant Graveyard and all.
Yeah we should like run someone to try and get Cruz's seat in 2018 for sure, it's close enough that we might win in a midterm backlash, but I just notice that people here love to fantasize about totally abandoning the upper midwest in favor of Texas, Arizona, and Georgia. Arizona is pretty reasonable but the other two are far away and we don't even know what the country will look like by the time they'd be within reach. It just rubs me the wrong way, especially since we need as many states to be within reach as possible to keep senate seats.

Hell, at this point I would say there is no scenario where North Carolina doesn't go blue in 2020. Yes I know NCGOP will do everything they can to suppress the democratic vote, but with the way they are pissing off NC voters their suppression efforts are only going to further embolden voters.

Like what are they going to do if Democratic donors start literally putting billions of dollars into getting voters the necessary IDs and start just paying their employers to give them whole days off to go vote?
Why? It didn't trend any more blue between now and 2012 (both times it's been about 5-6% more Republican than the popular vote) and it could have even more draconian and repressive voting laws between then.

Maybe we win it but saying "There's no way it doesn't go blue" is just asking for a repeat of this year's failures because people expect the ascendant coalition to just win by default.

Why? It didn't trend any more blue between now and 2012 (both times it's been about 5-6% more Republican than the popular vote) and it could have even more draconian and repressive voting laws between then.

Maybe we win it but saying "There's no way it doesn't go blue" is just asking for a repeat of this year's failures because people expect the ascendant coalition to just win by default.

We didn't win in NC this year because we had an unprecedented red rural wave this year and McCory STILL lost. The NCGOP is only going to further piss off NC.

Like I said unless they literally ban democrats from voting, their efforts can easily be countered by a GOTV effort that focuses less on the 2012 strategy of "lets figure out your voting plans" and more on just straight up paying their employers to give them more time off to vote.

One thing that's weird with Nazis is that they're constantly mocking immigrants for their accents or poor English speaking skills but their grammar sucks and they can't spell.

I gave millions of dollars to DJT Foundation, raised or recieved millions more, ALL of which is given to charity, and media won't report!

If you mock others for not being able to speak English... I mean, at least have a mastery of the English language >_>

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/813578484572450816

Still not nearly enough to be relied upon.

If GOP executes operation Trump N' Dump and somehow manages to pull of nominating Kasich or something in 2020 those sunbelt states could easily bounce right back up to Romney like margins. We can't overlook that there was significant dissent among many Republicans over Trump and assume that the numbers moved the way they did due to changing demographics vs. concern over the nominee.

Hang on to the rust belt for dear life. Will take 12-16 years for any real movement down there.

Pixieking

Banned

Glad I never joined it.

Yeah, read an LA Times Op-Ed about it last night. When I heard about it, I had high hopes for it being an activist group, so I totally get where the author is coming from there. And that's also a reason why I'm pushing the activist line in so much of what I write here on PoliGAF - people can talk big, but unless you mobilise, past a certain point it's just wasting time doing nothing.

We didn't win in NC this year because we had an unprecedented red rural wave this year and McCory STILL lost. The NCGOP is only going to further piss off NC.

Like I said unless they literally ban democrats from voting, their efforts can easily be countered by a GOTV effort that focuses less on the 2012 strategy of "lets figure out your voting plans" and more on just straight up paying their employers to give them more time off to vote.
Are you seriously suggesting we'll win by bribing large numbers of employers to give people time off? Is that even legal? How would that possibly work?

And why won't that rural red wave happen again? Cooper barely squeaked by and Ross got crushed harder than Clinton did, the same way people love to bring up Feingold.

NC isn't a blue state, it's a purple state with an red-tilt that's encouraged by the absurd antics of the NC GOP.

Are you seriously suggesting we'll win by bribing large numbers of employers to give people time off? Is that even legal? How would that possibly work?

And why won't that rural red wave happen again? Cooper barely squeaked by and Ross got crushed harder than Clinton did, the same way people love to bring up Feingold.

NC isn't a blue state, it's a purple state with an red-tilt that's encouraged by the absurd antics of the NC GOP.

Why wouldn't it be legal? It's not buying votes unless the GOP is arguing that those voters would otherwise be unable to vote, at which point they are admitting to violating the VRA.

It wasn't long ago that we thought "No, Virginia couldn't possibly be blue. It's at most just a purple state." and this year proved that Virginia has rapidly become a safe blue state. NC has all the same ingredients that Virginia had.

McCory lost because anti-LGBT discrimination laws are one of the only few things that actually hurt republicans any time they try it. It hurts them far more than openly and blatantly violating the VRA whilst gloating about it.

Pixieking

Banned
McCory lost because anti-LGBT discrimination laws are one of the only few things that actually hurt republicans any time they try it. It hurts them far more than openly and blatantly voting the VRA whilst gloating about it.

Why is this? I don't get why something that disproportionately affects African-Americans - especially older voters - doesn't excite the AA base. And I also don't get why it hasn't become a rallying cry amongst Dems of all races/ethnicities - the GOP are literally undoing civil rights legislation and making it harder for people to vote. Phrase it as "The GOP are taking away African-Americans' right to vote, and soon they'll come after the 19th Amendment", and you should get people motivated, right?

Virginia actually made its shift and turned reliably blue. It's statewide offices are a Democratic trifecta and it's gone for Democrats in increasing relative margins each election since 2008, and it's also different because of DC spillover.

North Carolina has still only gone blue once 1976 and has given us none of the consistent support since its shift to purpleness while retaining mostly the same relative margins to the nations as a whole (about 5-6% more Democratic). It's still a purple state that we can contest, but it isn't a safe or even lean-D state and banking on it seems like a good way to lose the next election.

And how is paying off businesses actually going to work exactly? How many businesses do we need to pay for a day off for thousands of workers?

Why is this? I don't get why something that disproportionately affects African-Americans - especially older voters - doesn't excite the AA base. And I also don't get why it hasn't become a rallying cry amongst Dems of all races/ethnicities - the GOP are literally undoing civil rights legislation and making it harder for people to vote. Phrase it as "The GOP are taking away African-Americans' right to vote, and soon they'll come after the 19th Amendment", and you should get people motivated, right?
The difference is that some white people actually care about the anti-LGBT stuff.

Average voter: "which one is the 19th amendment? Anyway, if they're too lazy to vote they shouldn't be able to."

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
By the time Texas goes Blue, NC will be the new Virginia and Florida will be blue again.

I don't see where the demographics are changing that much in favor for democrats in florida. For every positive fact about the changing demographics there seems to be a separate negative one balancing it out there.

North Carolina on the other hand is definitely seeing positive demographic changes with the democratic urban Charlotte and the Raleigh areas seeing all the population growth. Though that doesn't mean much if they simply do away with democracy there altogether.

watershed

Banned
I don't see where the demographics are changing that much in favor for democrats in florida. For every positive fact about the changing demographics there seems to be a separate negative one balancing it out there.

North Carolina on the other hand is definitely seeing positive demographic changes with the democratic urban Charlotte and the Raleigh areas seeing all the population growth. Though that doesn't mean much if they simply do away with democracy there altogether.

Seriously, North Carolina would have gone blue again were it not for blatant voter suppression.

If I had to make a random uneducated guess as to why, it would be that white people in rural America don't discover their son is actually black at 16 on Prom night. The LGBT community more so has a way of getting exposure into communities all across the country than racially defined demographics do.

And it often seems due to how the courts have ruled in regards to LGBT issues, that in order to fight it, Republicans often have to run to ridiculous lengths in order to still push this issue and it more so comes across as being petty and needlessly broaching an issue most don't want to be discussing in the first place.

Like instead of casting doubt that illegal immigrants could be voting so we need better security so that "they" don't steal votes, the GOP is forced into talking about gay wedding cakes and where trans people are allowed to take a shit.

Pixieking

Banned
The difference is that some white people actually care about the anti-LGBT stuff.

Average voter: "which one is the 19th amendment? Anyway, if they're too lazy to vote they shouldn't be able to."

If I had to make a random uneducated guess as to why, it would be that white people in rural America don't discover their son is actually black at 16 on Prom night. The LGBT community more so has a way of getting exposure into communities all across the country than racially defined demographics do.

And it often seems due to how the courts have ruled in regards to LGBT issues, that in order to fight it, Republicans often have to run to ridiculous lengths in order to still push this issue and it more so comes across as being petty and needlessly broaching an issue most don't want to be discussing in the first place.

Like instead of casting doubt that illegal immigrants could be voting so we need better security so that "they" don't steal votes, the GOP is forced into talking about gay wedding cakes and where trans people are allowed to take a shit.

So, would a way to push VRA abuses and removal of AA voting rights be to humanise African-American voters? Yes, I'm fully aware of how crappy that sounds, but my take-away from the above comments is if you can ground removal of AA-oriented voting rights in something ordinary and commonplace, then you should be able to create an image of marginalisation that makes the GOP look like callous jerks.

For example, I thought one of the most affecting Hillary campaign ads was the one with Mae Wiggins talking about being denied an apartment in a Trump-owned building. Having her speak about voting/voting rights would give the issue a very human, very personal face?

So, would a way to push VRA abuses and removal of AA voting rights be to humanise African-American voters? Yes, I'm fully aware of how crappy that sounds, but my take-away from the above comments is if you can ground removal of AA-oriented voting rights in something ordinary and commonplace, then you should be able to create an image of marginalisation that makes the GOP look like callous jerks.

For example, I thought one of the most affecting Hillary campaign ads was the one with Mae Wiggins talking about being denied an apartment in a Trump-owned building. Having her speak about voting/voting rights would give the issue a very human, very personal face?

To be blunt, a large chunk of GOP voters don't see black people as human - I mean, Beltway Republican's will admit both Obama's are a scandal free couple who have raised their children well and have lived personally spotless lives, but if you believed the comments section of any conservative site or right wing radio, the Obama's are corrupt Chicago pols who are also secret Marxist Muslims.

The truth, the thing to do is boost minority turnout and hope younger voters are slightly less racist.

This video is why Trump won the presidency.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7a4eoz_DviU

McCory lost because anti-LGBT discrimination laws are one of the only few things that actually hurt republicans any time they try it. It hurts them far more than openly and blatantly violating the VRA whilst gloating about it.

It's easier to have your son/daughter turn out to be LGBT than for them to turn out to be black all along.

Not sure why Trump is promising to sign that "doctors can refuse to treat gay patients with HIV if the doctors get boners when they think of Jesus" bill.

It will never pass the Senate and it's not like anyone other than marks believes he's actually religious. Just sets him up for attacks that he's kind of dodged prior.

mo60

Still not nearly enough to be relied upon.

If GOP executes operation Trump N' Dump and somehow manages to pull of nominating Kasich or something in 2020 those sunbelt states could easily bounce right back up to Romney like margins. We can't overlook that there was significant dissent among many Republicans over Trump and assume that the numbers moved the way they did due to changing demographics vs. concern over the nominee.

Hang on to the rust belt for dear life. Will take 12-16 years for any real movement down there.

I don't think Arizona and Texas will swing significantly back to the GOP even if they nominate a romney like candidate in 2020. If you recall even with romney as the GOP nominee he only did about three points better then McCain in the state. He barely did better then McCain in Arizona in 2012.Arizona since 1996 has mostly been a 6-10 point win for republicans.Texas is continuing to shift more and more to the democrats and a romney like candidate won't stop that shift.Speaking of Arizona hilary almost won Yuma county in this election.

I think we should cave and use their argument in our framework. If they wanna argue that people are fraudulently voting in mass numbers, and we need to have voter ID, then instead of just trying to stop it completely, push for a free National ID that we send to every American (and since we can get a tax return for every American, we can saturate the US with these IDs).

They lose their dog whistle if we do that. Any obstruction to this would have to admit they don't want everyone voting.

There is no humanizing to Trump's base and largely the GOP. They flat out believe Dems and minorities should not be able vote if it lets them win. Which is why I'm saying blue states need to turn those same tools the GOP uses against GOP voters. The biggest thing to me is the GOP has suffered nothing for those measures and will continue to use them as long as Dems try to appeal to civility. See how they respond to escalation. Then maybe some of those measures get thrown out from red and blue states.

What was the voter suppression? I know there was some speculation after NC went red, but I never heard the details

Early voting was restricted, Sunday voting in particular where the GOP closed voting because black churches were busing people to the polls. Polling places also reduces in black communities to make larger lines, and even on election day when one of the largest black districts had a machine outage the GOP was fighting to not extend hours for that district.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom