• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT16| Unpresidented

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel only the worst of Trump voters will care about the WALL or the Muslim Ban in a few months time. Those seem like things Trump will be hurt the most by if he sincerely tries (succeed or fail) to make them reality than if he just pretends he never said that shit.

The rest of the list I agree on you with. I also envision that if they try to go through with the ACA repeal without a real and good replacement (which they don't have) they will suffer for it politically too.

That should be enough to cost him re-election.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Sean Spicer is so full of shit.
So good qualifications for a press secretary? Especially a trump admin press secretary.

Edit that accidentally became a second post:
I just feel like you need someone extra versed in bullshit artistry for this realm of post truth they are entering.

I feel only the worst of Trump voters will care about the WALL or the Muslim Ban in a few months time. Those seem like things Trump will be hurt the most by if he sincerely tries (succeed or fail) to make them reality than if he just pretends he never said that shit.

The rest of the list I agree on you with. I also envision that if they try to go through with the ACA repeal without a real and good replacement (which they don't have) they will suffer for it politically too.

My point is that if Trump can't make good on his more bigoted promises, then those that were banking on those things won't be as energized to vote next time.

Trump only won certain states like Florida, Wisconsin and Pennsylvania because he managed to get all the rural areas voting in record numbers while Clinton was struggling to get the Obama Coalition voting as much as they did in 2012.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/voter-turnout-fell-especially-in-states-that-clinton-won/

pigeon

Banned
The first few ecumenical councils, or at least Nicaea, are generally recognized by Protestants. People seem to start to think the church "officially" became corrupted after the fall of the Western Empire from what I can figure, since the pope grew in power after that.

Protestants also don't tend to know much about Orthodoxy, I find.

Protestantism in general is a bundle of contradictions.

Taking a break from GAF because I got tired of fighting with people who love white supremacy but I came back to say LOL MAKE HETEROOUSIANISM GREAT AGAIN

Also I literally just in writing this post realized that the reason it's called Orthodox Christianity is that they want to be clear that they're the ones who are following orthodoxy and the other guys are the heretics.

sphagnum

Banned
Taking a break from GAF because I got tired of fighting with people who love white supremacy but I came back to say LOL MAKE HETEROOUSIANISM GREAT AGAIN

Also I literally just in writing this post realized that the reason it's called Orthodox Christianity is that they want to be clear that they're the ones who are following orthodoxy and the other guys are the heretics.

Only a thousand+ years late on that one.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I'm curious--do people's political leanings affect your support of their work when it comes to entertainment/retail/etc?

It never used to for me, but today I was in Barnes and Noble getting my 2017 calendars, and when I saw the Dilbert desk calendar I usually always get, I said, "Nope--not after that nut went on his bizarre tirade this summer."

Wilsongt

And we're off!!

A webpage run by the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources used to explain to visitors that climate change is both occurring and is the result of human activity. Now, visitors to the same webpage will find false information claiming that the cause of climate change is still a matter of scientific debate.

The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reported that the department, which is in charge of the state’s environmental policy, among other things, quietly scrubbed language from a page about the Great Lakes and climate change, striking out entire sentences about human contributions to climate change.

The website used to explain that “Earth’s climate is changing. Human activities that increase heat-trapping (‘greenhouse’) gases are the main cause,” and went on to discuss how climate change might affect Wisconsin directly — longer summers, shorter winters, changes in precipitation patterns.

Instead, the webpage now reads: “As it has done throughout the centuries, the earth is going through a change. The reasons for this change at this particular time in the earth’s long history are being debated and researched by academic entities outside the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources.”

https://thinkprogress.org/wisconsin-dnr-climate-change-information-purge-d9ac20755540#.bnhjpr43g

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I'm curious--do people's political leanings affect your support of their work when it comes to entertainment/retail/etc?

It never used to for me, but today I was in Barnes and Noble getting my 2017 calendars, and when I saw the Dilbert desk calendar I usually always get, I said, "Nope--not after that nut went on his bizarre tirade this summer."

Depends on how crazy they are and what their beliefs are/how good their creative output is. I mean, I'd never read anything from someone like Milo. But I do feel like there's a graph that can be made that would be a good indicator for how much bullshit a person would be willing to look past for an artist.

"Hey, Russia's not so bad! We love Putin!"

- "Conservative" "Republican" "Americans"

I don't understand how Trump's advisers can play with fire with Russia if Russia really is giving military support to the Taliban.

There's going to be a Benghazi like attack every month on American soldiers in Afghanistan if Russia decides to get involved in the Afghanistan War and Trump will be largely responsible if he responds weakly to Russia.

Obama has probably had intel stuff on Russian involvements already but has been quietly trying to run out the clock with it. Guess I can't blame him on this front. That's not really a "thing" a POTUS is in much position to tackle with 20something days left.

What's China's play in Afghanistan, anyway? Some Kashmir land grabbing? The official border between the two is only a few miles long and in impassible terrain.

sphagnum

Banned
I don't understand how Trump's advisers can play with fire with Russia if Russia really is giving military support to the Taliban.

There's going to be a Benghazi like attack every month on American soldiers in Afghanistan if Russia decides to get involved in the Afghanistan War and Trump will be largely responsible if he responds weakly to Russia.

He will not, however, use emails.

Ogodei

Obama has probably had intel stuff on Russian involvements already but has been quietly trying to run out the clock with it. Guess I can't blame him on this front. That's not really a "thing" a POTUS is in much position to tackle with 20something days left.

What's China's play in Afghanistan, anyway? Some Kashmir land grabbing? The official border between the two is only a few miles long and in impassible terrain.

That's why that little finger exists, terrain the Russians or British literally couldn't get to, so they let Afghanistan have it.

China likes building influence in the near abroad, especially at the expense of India. Afghanistan's ripe ground for that. Pakistan's afraid of being flanked by India, and Russia's just going in to piss in America's wheaties, as always.

Which is deplorable because all three countries are fighting Islamist uprisings in some small form. The Taliban are friends to no-one in that regard.

It's kind of been under-discussed how Modi set his country on fire for no reason.

What a heat-check on that 75% approval rating, purposefully steal from your citizens (without even benefiting the government or cronies!) and then appear completely apathetic towards the thefts.

If links to the Taliban are true with Russia, wouldn't it make sense for the Dems to shout from the rooftops insessantly the notion of the GOP/Trump actively supporting the group responsible for 9/11?

Like do what the GOP does about Dem "scandals" but unlike those, this actually seems to be true and with solid merit. Associate the GOP with the Taliban-9/11 and repeat it over and over and over.

Ogodei

It's kind of been under-discussed how Modi set his country on fire for no reason.

What a heat-check on that 75% approval rating, purposefully steal from your citizens (without even benefiting the government or cronies!) and then appear completely apathetic towards the thefts.

We talking about the high-value bank-note ban? I thought the goal there was to force more business out of the grey market and into places where it could be taxed.

Vixdean

I like how when people compare spending between campaigns, they ignore the fact that Russia was doing all of Trump's oppo research, Fox News was functioning as a 24/7 campaign ad, and the GOP Congress was spending millions of taxpayer dollars launching political attacks at Hillary. Someone should add up the estimated cost of those contributions and include them in a comparison.

We talking about the high-value bank-note ban? I thought the goal there was to force more business out of the grey market and into places where it could be taxed.

Getting rid of cash is not that effective for rooting out corruption in developing countries because they could just use precious metals for black market exchanges.

You can more easily do negative interest rates without cash, but that phasing out cash to accomplish that goal can be done over a long period of time.

Just a stupid and terrible move considering that 46% of Indians don't have a bank account. Dozens have died in rioting over this.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Depends on how crazy they are and what their beliefs are/how good their creative output is. I mean, I'd never read anything from someone like Milo. But I do feel like there's a graph that can be made that would be a good indicator for how much bullshit a person would be willing to look past for an artist.

This.

Kelsey Grammar is a reliable Republican, but I don't mind watching stuff he's involved in. But people like James Woods and Kevin Sorbo? Makes my stomach churn nowadays just looking at em.

"Hey, Russia's not so bad! We love Putin!"

- "Conservative" "Republican" "Americans"

You forgot:

"But emails"

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
The point being that pointing out inconsistencies in the Bible is something of a My First Atheism that never produces results and actually exacerbates the problem. If any of that worked the party and its constituents would maybe focus on helping the poor.

Exactly. Also, specifically for evangelicals, things like abortion and the "war on religion" they perceive, just outweighs the way we all vote for candidates based on what we consider most important. Of course Trump is an extreme case, I'd never vote for him regardless of political party, but here we are.

Watch how Trump removes sanctions on Russia, and the gop electorate says how its the best thing in the world, even better than their Obamacare-funded rascal scooters.

Finalizer

Watch how Trump removes sanctions on Russia, and the gop electorate says how its the best thing in the world, even better than their Obamacare-funded rascal scooters.

Ryan's saying that the new sanctions against Russia are overdue, so I suppose he and at least a few others aren't keen on setting themselves up for an inevitable fall.

Trump released a statement on Russia hacking (though he never mentions those terms in the statement!):

C04vaY6WEAAq9I8.jpg

A leaked copy of Trump's speech on Russian hacking was also released today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-8FB6k8jik

The Cold War not being considered WW3 is a little odd in some ways.

It involved dozens of countries and tens of millions of soldiers.

It took place through various wars (Korean, Vietnam, Afghan) and over nearly 40 years so I guess it's not self contained like the World Wars were, but it certainly was more important than WW1.

The Cold War also wasn't "Cold" at all, there were a lot of causalities on both sides and from all of the proxies on both sides.

The Cold War is just remembered oddly....

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS

It took place through various wars (Korean, Vietnam, Afghan) and over nearly 40 years so I guess it's not self contained like the World Wars were, but it certainly was more important than WW1.

The Cold War also wasn't "Cold" at all, there were a lot of causalities on both sides and from all of the proxies on both sides.

Or cold means no nuclear annihilation !!!!!!

Breads

Banned

Maybe it's just me but when people say world war III I think a death toll in the 8-9 digit range is the part people are worried about. Not what engagements are called and who participates in them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom