• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT16| Unpresidented

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Trump released a statement on Russia hacking (though he never mentions those terms in the statement!):

C04vaY6WEAAq9I8.jpg
We have to move on to "better things" than Russia meddling in our elections? Why does that sound so ominous?

The definition of "hot war" is: "a war with active military hostilities."

And so the Cold War was definitely a series of Hot Wars.

I've never heard the term "hot war", since I think most people just call it "war"...

I'm REALLY bad with Cold War history but I remember learning that it was called a "Cold" War because neither side had formally declared war on the other. Not that there weren't hostilities fought that involved American and Soviet soldiers and war-like acts committed but rather that neither side took the step to actually declare war and directly fight each other. I don't think it was a common thing to do before WWII.

On one hand it's fun to expose Russian Trolls.

On the other hand it's kinda sad to then realize that GAF isn't immune to the problem of Russian Trolls.

This.

Kelsey Grammar is a reliable Republican, but I don't mind watching stuff he's involved in. But people like James Woods and Kevin Sorbo? Makes my stomach churn nowadays just looking at em.
Cmon, Kevin was badass af as that uberatheist professor in the first gods not dead. He redeemed that movie imo

Sorbo is the one that gets killed by a car, I don't think anything happens to Cain.

It's amazing to look back and remember my evangelical friends going nuts for that movie, it was so popular.

I
I'm REALLY bad with Cold War history but I remember learning that it was called a "Cold" War because neither side had formally declared war on the other. Not that there weren't hostilities fought that involved American and Soviet soldiers and war-like acts committed but rather that neither side took the step to actually declare war and directly fight each other. I don't think it was a common thing to do before WWII.

Ding Ding. We have a wiener.

During the Cold War we never declared war on the USSR directly or took overt military hostile actions against Soviet soldiers. It was still a war, but it wasn't a war where the two principles attacked each other directly.

As for World War III, I think for anything to qualify as a World War there needs to be active hostilities in multiple fronts and countries in at least two continents. And all the conflicts need to be interconnected in some way due to an aggressive power or entangled alliances.

Our NATO alliance is suppose to be a deterrent, but it also could be a spring board to a larger conflict especially if our NATO allies in eastern Europe start to fall under Russia pressure or aggression.

Kevitivity

Retweeted David Burge (@iowahawkblog):

Russia invades Crimea: oh well
Russia shoots down airliner: mistakes happen
John Podesta falls for phishing scam: RESTART THE COLD WAR

Yup.

Yup.

No one said "Oh Well" to Crimean invasion, except Putin/Republican Alt-Right fanboys.
No one said mistakes happen when Russia shot down Malaysian Airline MH17, except Putin/Republican Alt-Right fanboys.
No one is saying restart the coldwar, and no one is saying John Podesta fell for a simple, context-free phishing scam from a 3rd party. Except Putin/Republican Alt-Right fanboys.

Yup.

Russia invades Crimea and shoots down MH17: *Obama imposes sanctions that destroy Russia's economy*
Putin steals private information of major government figures: Trump: "This is Actually Good for America and Hillary is trying to start WW3 by saying that Russia was bad for doing this."

mo60

Watch how Trump removes sanctions on Russia, and the gop electorate says how its the best thing in the world, even better than their Obamacare-funded rascal scooters.

I bet you someone within his inner circle is going to advise him not to remove the sanctions the instant he enters the white house.

Assange: Hillary Clinton is a Satanist
Greenwald: He's a brave man interested only in the truth
Assange: Hillary Clinton ordered the assassination of DNC staffer Seth Rich
Greenwald: Stop publishing #fakenews, mainstream media.
Assange: All of my enemies are Jews.
Greenwald: Seems like a good guy.

And now I got people in OT trying to claim that calling someone a "renegade jew" isn't antisemitic.

Hmm, I was going to tell you "stop arguing with Nazis" but instead it's a bunch of edgelords who like to pretend anti-semitism doesn't exist in America anymore even as Trump's last ad was "PEOPLE STEALING YOUR MONEY" *Shows picture of Jewish person*

Hmm, I was going to tell you "stop arguing with Nazis" but instead it's a bunch of edgelords who like to pretend anti-semitism doesn't exist in America anymore even as Trump's last ad was "PEOPLE STEALING YOUR MONEY" *Shows picture of Jewish person*

Edgelords that apparently like playing dumb.

"No it's fine cuz the article writer was Jewish too."

"No it's fine because it was only worded that way for CLICKS. That totally makes it okay."

"No it's fine because technically the jewish part is relevant in literally only the very last paragraph."

No one said "Oh Well" to Crimean invasion, except Putin/Republican Alt-Right fanboys.
No one said mistakes happen when Russia shot down Malaysian Airline MH17, except Putin/Republican Alt-Right fanboys.
No one is saying restart the coldwar, and no one is saying John Podesta fell for a simple, context-free phishing scam from a 3rd party. Except Putin/Republican Alt-Right fanboys.
Alt-right Putin fanboys just got elected to power on a platform of economic anxiety if you're being generous, white nationalism if you're being real

Help. I feel bad for Hillary.

iconic

This fuckin' country...
Those responses are actually reassuring, and a lot more positive than I would have imagined. Almost half wish they had voted (!!), and many of those who didn't did not because they had ostensibly legitimate reasons. I can ignore the both sides/my vote wouldn't matter idiots for now, and I would like the democrats to focus on clearing the way for the apparently numerous voters who had roadblocks from casting a ballot despite wanting to.

There's a lot of work to be done but the future isn't bleak.

I feel like you'd have to take out all the deep red/blue states to get any real picture of "my vote won't matter" means.

Hell, I voted but I didn't feel my vote mattered, either. I'm in IL.

Yoda

Can you provide a source for these?

These actually can be ignored because ostensibly they could be correct in practical terms, even if it is a terrible attitude.

Only if by "in practical terms" you mean people who look solely at outcomes and ignore circumstance, sure. The guys talking about how Obama's basically a Republican because he didn't get to their laundry list of issues while conveniently ignoring that the Republicans have blocked basically all government work for the last 6 years. Which is the sort of thing that shares a zipcode with "correct" but not an address, y'know?

Only if by "in practical terms" you mean people who look solely at outcomes and ignore circumstance, sure. The guys talking about how Obama's basically a Republican because he didn't get to their laundry list of issues while conveniently ignoring that the Republicans have blocked basically all government work for the last 6 years. Which is the sort of thing that shares a zipcode with "correct" but not an address, y'know?

He means the "don't matter" people, not the "both sides" people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom