• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT16| Unpresidented

Status
Not open for further replies.
The "Nice!" is clearly sarcastic, but it reads weird. Few people use "Nice!" sarcastically as its own sentence in conversation so it's hard to read it sarcastically.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Schumer's already talked openly about challenging Trump cabinet nominees

He's not going to roll over for Trump. His goal is probably more to cause divisions between Trump & his party, which I think is a very good strategy for a minority party

Pretty much, from reports it's already working. Plus if he plays his cards right he could do what Putin is doing.

N. Kocherlakota said:
“We are only beginning to see the impact of tight policy choices on our economies … Given these kinds of macroeconomic outcomes, it should not be surprising that we see increasing signs of social fracturing and disengagement in many developed countries.”

The process of “social fracturing and disengagement” to which I referred continued apace in 2016. In the UK, Britons voted to break away from the European Union. In the US, a political outsider used a platform of economic isolationism to defeat a string of establishment candidates from both major parties.

There will be elections in France and Germany in 2017. I expect large, and possibly decisive, repudiations of the political establishment in both votes.

Will policymakers begin to engage in the kind of fiscal/monetary easing that is needed to heal our economies and our societies? Possibly – there is talk from the incoming American administration of increases in government spending and tax cuts. But many elected officials (and professional economists) have also expressed strong opposition to these policy choices.

Those opponents should bear in mind that there are grave risks associated with overly tight macroeconomic policy and the accompanying shortfall of aggregate demand.

Hopefully we get good bang for buck policies ASAP throughout the world to head off the political storm.

https://sites.google.com/site/kocherlakota009/home/policy/thoughts-on-policy/12-30-16

And what, pray tell, is Soon-To-Be-POTUS Trump going to do to stop PRK from finishing a missile program? Trying to shrug off a threat or say you're planning against it is one thing, but just outright saying you can stop it? Are we going to bomb their test and launch facilities?

Actually, that sounds like the exact sort of thing Trump would order without thinking through the consequences first. Never mind.

mo60

Interesting interview with a biographer of McConnell, who really paints him as the striving, win at all costs, say anything to anybody, focus only on raisng money type of politician that people claimed Hillary was - http://www.vox.com/2017/1/2/14123496/mitch-mcconnell-motives

Sadly Kentucky is to red of a state to even think of getting a good enough democrat to challenge him. I do hope that since he has a lot of power right now that he doesn't just focus on winning the 2018 midterm elections. In the last election cycle when his senate seat was up for grabs if I recall he drove himself a bit crazy because people thought Ashley Judd was going to challenge him.

Edit: It may be possible for a democrat to challenge him 2018 and be successful(probably) since he only won his last two elections by 5.94 and 15.5 points respectively which is as not as big of a margin compared to past elections before 2008 and 2012.

C1LwOYRVEAAjALT.jpg:large

A picture is worth...

Sadly Kentucky is to red of a state to even think of getting a good enough democrat to challenge him. I do hope that since he has a lot of power right now that he doesn't just focus on winning the 2018 midterm elections. In the last election cycle when his senate seat was up for grabs if I recall he drove himself a bit crazy because people thought Ashley Judd was going to challenge him.

Edit: It may be possible for a democrat to challenge him 2018 and be successful(probably) since he only won his last two elections by 5.94 and 15.5 points respectively which is as not as big of a margin compared to past elections before 2008 and 2012.

His seat isn't up until 2020. The Kentucky state Democratic Party isn't all that bad, though.

Teggy

My wife is rewatching West Wing right now and the way they torture themselves over any single word that comes out of the administration compared to Trump, it's just...

Eh. The Kentucky Democratic Party died this year and it's probably never coming back.

I mean, relative to a lot of other states in similar situations it's not that bad. The Attorney General and Secretary of State are still Democrats.

Better than Democrats having no statewide offices like a lot of their neighbors.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Deirdre Walsh
Deirdre Walsh‏ @deirdrewalshcnn

News: House GOP passed rules change moving independent Office of Government Ethics -- will now be part of Ethics Committee -weakens OCE

So they are now in charge of investigating their own ethics violations. This should be headline news, and the media won't do anything.

GOP is dirty. Democrats need to start playing that way.

https://twitter.com/NormOrnstein/status/816085861184012288

Dems need to wake the fuck up. You can't compromise with these people.

So they are now in charge of investigating their own ethics violations. This should be headline news, and the media won't do anything.

GOP is dirty. Democrats need to start playing that way.

And so it begins. We've got 4 years of this shit. I don't think Dems are going to show up in midterms.

I mean, relative to a lot of other states in similar situations it's not that bad. The Attorney General and Secretary of State are still Democrats.

Better than Democrats having no statewide offices like a lot of their neighbors.

What I mean is that, I don't expect them to be able to win anymore statewide races going forward. They got almost entirely wiped out in 2015 and then they lose the KY House this year. It's going to keep getting worse.

The Dems are going to be engaged in an internal war for a long time.

Losing this election was bad. It's rended rifts within the party that were barely held together. You have one side of the party that is openly questioning the institution of the party. So, this war is going to happen and it's going to impact 2018.

I want to remain hopeful

But here we are with a Republican controlled government. Honestly, the only way I see it going south for them is if the Republicans do extreme fuck ups left and right that won't be ignored by the media.

I mean, I hate to be negative, but it took dozens of dead soldiers almost daily plus an American city looking like a 3rd World nation after a hurricane plus a ton of specific corruption scandals to knock the GOP down in '06, then McCain likely still had a decent shot in '08 if the economy hadn't collapsed.

The actual problem is that between 25-30% of American's basically don't believe Democrat's should win elections...ever. That any win by a Democrat is basically illegitimate.

Losing this election was bad. It's rended rifts within the party that were barely held together. You have one side of the party that is openly questioning the institution of the party. So, this war is going to happen and it's going to impact 2018.

That's what I feel like.

There are rifts. Not just by the loss, but that have been there since bernie lost. Bernie ran on a huge populist platform, just like Trump, but lost against HIllary. I'm not going to argue the merits of that, or of him, or of her, but the reality is that there is a rift in the path of Dems. Some want to crank up that populist economic approach that Bernie had. Right now you have bernie 'crowning'...what's his name, Ellison as being a good choice. So people are latching on to him, even if he isn't the best choice.

It just feels like there's a divide. The bittersweet part is, that if Trump lost, the Republicans would be in the same exact rift. But here we are.

I mean, I hate to be negative, but it took dozens of dead soldiers almost daily plus an American city looking like a 3rd World nation after a hurricane plus a ton of specific corruption scandals to knock the GOP down in '06, then McCain likely still had a decent shot in '08 if the economy hadn't collapsed.

The actual problem is that between 25-30% of American's basically don't believe Democrat's should win elections...ever. That any win by a Democrat is basically illegitimate.

Democrats as an institution, seems very flimsy. Like, throngs of people who consider themselves democrat are ready to peel off, or don't even show up. Democrats are a coalition in the sense of a stacked tower of straw-any breeze ready to knock it apart. And here we are. Shattered. Republicans were somehow able to get in line. Up until the election, meanwhile, you heard democrats who didnt' want to vote for clinton because emails or bernie got robbed or she's a warhawk. I remember seeing liberal people on my FB mock Hillary and proudly saying they wouldn't vote for her, only to have reality crash when she lost. It's a frail institution, and this loss will heavily affect the integrity of the party forward on.

Wilsongt

The GOP will have their own internal war, too. There are still factions in the GOP who don't want to burn everything down. They're just not as loud as the Bernie Fantatic faction on the Dems side.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
My wife is rewatching West Wing right now and the way they torture themselves over any single word that comes out of the administration compared to Trump, it's just...

Supposedly that's how Bill Clinton's presidency was too, down to even polling where he should go on vacation, which apparently was the grand canyon.

"One side of the party" isn't really any actual party members though. I'm skeptical that when shit hits the fan that these people who basically just pull the lever and stop there will stay home. Opposition benefits because you get to point at stuff and say "That sucks!" without having to decide what to replace it with.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Hot Take: Trump's presidency and total Republican control of government is going to help to unify and reinvigorate the Democratic Party

The thing is, it's not even about the Dems being united or coming out to vote. The main problem is constant Republican kajigerring the institutions to make it difficult for Dems to get elected. Shit like gerrymandering, voter ID laws and the shit that the Republicans are attempting in North Carolina, imagine all that but on a federal scale.

China, please hack the GOP's emails in 2018 so we have evidence of the bribes they take in 2018 (and there will surely be many of them going by the GOP's moves today).

Finalizer

The thing is, it's not even about the Dems being united or coming out to vote. The main problem is constant Republican kajigerring the institutions to make it difficult for Dems to get elected. Shit like gerrymandering, voter ID laws and the shit that the Republicans are attempting in North Carolina, imagine all that but on a federal scale.

It's scary to think about for sure, but keep in mind that shit was far worse for many people half a century ago. Regression sucks, but I feel like we can win back progress if we fight enough for it. Plus, there's just so many... delightful... ways the Trump administration can bungle everything so hard that they end up pissing off enough of their own voters to swing an eventual Dem comeback themselves. Something like '06 and '08 but to a more intense level.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Hot Take: Trump's presidency and total Republican control of government is going to help to unify and reinvigorate the Democratic Party

Hotter take: younger voters will initially be angry, but infighting within the democratic party will be fruitless and will cause them to become so demoralized and apathetic because of the republican full control of government and unprecedented attacks on anyone but rich white people that they won't vote in 2018 because they'll feel it's useless.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Hotter take: younger voters will initially be angry, but infighting within the democratic party will be fruitless and will cause them to become so demoralized and apathetic because of the republican full control of government and unprecedented attacks on anyone but rich white people that they won't vote in 2018 because they'll feel it's useless.

They won't vote in midterms anyway, they could not vote for the anointed candidates in 2016, why would they bother to vote in the midterms?

This is definitely a hotter take, given that it historically has never been the case.

There are a few problems with the GOP trying that:

1) Winning 2018 and 2020 will inevitably involve winning over voters that will be hard for the GOP to target with voter suppression

2) The stuff the NCGOP is doing is only further pissing off that state. They literally did everything they could to suppress votes and they STILL lost the Governorship. And they are going to have to undo some of their gerrymandering by court order.

3) Trump will be an unpopular POTUS who WILL fuck up, which is basically the main ingredient to 2006 midterms.

And the best part is that if Democrats take back control for even two years, they can repeal the Reapportionment Act of 1929 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reapportionment_Act_of_1929) and that will IMMEDIATELY lock the house and POTUS to Dems for a generation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom