• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT16| Unpresidented

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I just went through the gay marriage legalization thread.

There was so much hope and happiness that day :(
With where the Republicans hope to take the country, we might get the opportunity to repeat that thread some day.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Ugh this is depressing.

Not sure what to do with today's information (which isn't really all that new, I guess).

I think Universal Healthcare is a lot closer than that. It'll be hard to point to obamacare as a historical failure unless Republicans produce a miracle by replacing it with something that's somehow better than Obamacare without making it more universal.

Usobuko

Banned
Sometimes on GAF, I feel like people ( read Trump supporters ) are just being disingenuous in their agenda.

Like wanting an elaborated, continual, in-fighting of the democrat party.

Basically, they find out that they are capable of steering the anger towards Trump administration to that of the issue between Bernie and DNC. This one guy that I responded to has a post history of hating DNC and its treatment towards Bernie yet at the same time is totally fine about the "1%" exploitation and lobbying politicians. This is so against what Bernie stood for.

It just doesn't add up.

Pixieking

Banned
Cult of Personality, maybe? Doesn't understand the issues, but wants to be part of something, maybe?

Either way, it doesn't help the Dem cause in 18 and 20.

This reminds me of a new blog I found, which gave its Joe Lieberman award to Tim Kaine talking about a similar phenomenon.

http://www.ginandtacos.com/2017/01/02/2016-lieberman-award-winner-tim-kaine/

Oh and horseshoe theory is total shit.
I hardly think Kaine fits that bill. Kaine was elected Lt. Gov in 2001 as a liberal firebrand to the point where Warner (then-elected governor and considerably more moderate) felt the need to distance himself from him.

The only sin Kaine committed is not moving left with the rest of the party, except Clinton did that and the same people who complained about Kaine complained about her "flip-flopping." Can't fucking win, if you ever held a centrist or moderate position you are tainted for life.

And no, horseshoe theory is pretty legit. This election has brought out the worst of many liberals. The only thing that puts extremist left over extremist right is the former isn't actively trying to impede on peoples' social rights. Don't get me wrong, that alone counts for a lot, but the fake news, blatant misinformation, echo chamber etc. stuff is all there.

tuxfool

Banned
Sometimes on GAF, I feel like people ( read Trump supporters ) are just being disingenuous in their agenda.

Like wanting an elaborated, continual, in-fighting of the democrat party.

Basically, they find out that they are capable of steering the anger towards Trump administration to that of the issue between Bernie and DNC. This one guy that I responded to has a post history of hating DNC and its treatment towards Bernie yet at the same time is totally fine about the "1%" exploitation and lobbying politicians. This is so against what Bernie stood for.

It just doesn't add up.
Which people?

AndyD

aka andydumi
Elections have consequences. It's damning that we now know Russia had at least something to do with having to endure these consequences. It's an act of war, I don't care what anybody says.

My only glimmer of faith is that congressmen and the intelligence agencies recognize this and hopefully Obama initiates strong retaliatory moves, even if invisible. As someone said, make them bleed. Their economy can be brought down even more.

kess

So, I just read on LeMonde that Hillary might consider running for NYC Major. That would be really cool. Is there any chance?

Actually, if she runs, wins, and does a pretty good job, it would do better than anything else to combat the "two lesser evils" and "no choice" narratives that the right would be happy to cultivate right now.

dramatis

Let's be honest, right now it's just a lot of speculating whether or not Hillary is returning to politics and whatever which way.

It's been only two months.

What, and kick out de Blasio?

The only thing I could see is her dropping in like a nuclear bomb relatively late if it looks like he's gonna get killed in the race. But even with his popularity where it is now I don't know who the republicans have.

But overall I thought NYC mayor might be a little small-time for Hillary at this point.

Ahasverus

But overall I thought NYC mayor might be a little small-time for Hillary at this point.
I know, but it would be a last service Hillary could to to the country. In the end, that would be a widely public position to be which means she'd have a voice and most importantly something to show. Maybe she does so good that the country looks up to her as "what could have been" and then becomes sane next election. It would be a little moral victory.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I thought the rumor was New York Governor.

It's mayor. de Blasio has been good, but everyone is nervous about him going forward and she'd be way better. Plus the fact she can troll the fuck out of Trump for her term.

Also, read this: http://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/06/opinion/sunday/rumors-of-hillary-clintons-comeback.html?_r=0

The only thing I could see is her dropping in like a nuclear bomb relatively late if it looks like he's gonna get killed in the race. But even with his popularity where it is now I don't know who the republicans have.

NYC mayor is like the governorship of a mid-sized state.

There are a lot better ways for a 70 year old former first lady to do public service than this. It's a terrible terrible idea and probably fanfiction from some fanboy reporter.

Clinton is gone, let it go.

Finalizer

I thought the rumor was New York Governor.

This is some Berenstain shit here. I remember conversations about her replacing Cuomo because he's too corrupt or something not that long ago, but I'm not seeing it in this thread. Perhaps it was its own thread, or my searching skills are sub-par.

I don't mind if Clinton comes back, hell we need all the hands we can get. For all the shit Bernie gets around here, at least he's still a vocal rallying voice for downtrodden Dems.

KingK

I'm not really sure Clinton should pursue any office again. The Clinton brand is a jumbled, toxic as hell mess on a national level. And while that may not matter much in a state like NY, she'd still be regularly making national headlines and I'm not sure it's good for the party to continually be associated with that going forward. OTOH, Cuomo actually definitely is the exact type of corrupt, pandering, opportunistic asshole that people suspect/perceive Clinton to be, so...

I'd be fine with Clinton kicking out that asshole Cuomo for governor, but I really like what I've seen/heard from DeBlasio and I would be extremely pissed off if she tried to primary him. Also, having Clinton try to primary a "far left" progressive like DeBlasio would probably only further relitigate the 2016 primaries and continue to divide the party. I don't live in NY, so it's not entirely my business, but I'd still be pissed and make noise about it.

Hillary running for mayor against de Blasio doesn't make much sense unless he did something to make her mad. He was her campaign manager for her Senate campaign and served in her husband's administration. I thought he was super close with the Clintons.

Debirudog

Isn't De Blasio disliked by New Yorkers?

Not sure what's the problem if he's vulnerable to lose unless you're that afraid or hate the Clinton name

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I'm not really sure Clinton should pursue any office again. The Clinton brand is a jumbled, toxic as hell mess on a national level. And while that may not matter much in a state like NY, she'd still be regularly making national headlines and I'm not sure it's good for the party to continually be associated with that going forward. OTOH, Cuomo actually definitely is the exact type of corrupt, pandering, opportunistic asshole that people suspect/perceive Clinton to be, so...

I'd be fine with Clinton kicking out that asshole Cuomo for governor, but I really like what I've seen/heard from DeBlasio and I would be extremely pissed off if she tried to primary him. Also, having Clinton try to primary a "far left" progressive like DeBlasio would probably only further relitigate the 2016 primaries and continue to divide the party. I don't live in NY, so it's not entirely my business, but I'd still be pissed and make noise about it.

The thing is Cuomo is a more effective executive than de Blasio. Sure he's a corrupt shitbag, but he's gotten a large amount of important legislation done and looks to keep going. Meanwhile all de Blasio has done is the pre-k for all. Cuomo's numbers will recover once he gets his college plan through as well.

I mean, I like de Blasio's ideas and stuff, but I'm not sure he can get it done. If you could combine the best qualities from both we'd have a clear 2020 frontrunner. de Blasio just hasn't been good about getting his agenda through.

royalan

Clinton needs to just stay away from politics.

Why? What has she done other than be a public servant for her entire adult life?

Republicans will support ACTUAL corrupt politicians into the White House.

All someone has to do is SAY you're corrupt to get Democrats to turn on their own, apparently.

This party is embarrassing.

Ogodei

I think its less that you can "trace" the horseshoe along its curve and find more extremism gradually as you get further from center, and more that groups that tend to believe that its just ridiculous that their clearly obvious solutions haven't been implemented and some form of revolution to seize power over institutions, the populace, or both to just do what's obvious is correlated with fanaticism for any ideology.

Or to put it another way, I think who most of us are talking about are the people who believe that complex problems have simple solutions (or complex problems have simple causes), and these people are usually pretty far into something. When I talk about the "far left" in this context I'm talking about the people who just think that we should just have universal healthcare already damnit and that the only reason we don't is because of the pharmecy industry or something and not because...Americans might not actually want Universal Health Care and need to be educated before they'll change how they'll vote. But no, its always "neoliberalism" that's to blame

Also because the central theme of extremism is that because we are correct and everybody else is wrong, everyone else deserves to be censored or worse, and that's why it wraps around to the prescription of similar methods.

Why? What has she done other than be a public servant for her entire adult life?

Republicans will support ACTUAL corrupt politicians into the White House.

All someone has to do is SAY you're corrupt to get Democrats to turn on their own, apparently.

This party is embarrassing.

I guess I don't really understand why you want it to be her.

royalan

I don't care if it's her or not.

But I'm not going to turn into a tea party Republican like some of these folks on the far left and demonize Hillary Clinton just because she lost an election.

Face it: Hillary Clinton may be a poor campaigner, but she's an effective politician. She's a fundraising juggernaut, and she's one of the few big names the Democratic Party's got right now that may actually want to still be involved. those 65 million people that voted for her? Some of them did so because they actually liked her.

If there's a race she feels she can win, go ahead and run.

Easy win, well-liked in that constituency, serious job (which is why I get mad when people argue important positions like NYC mayor and NY governor should be stepping stones for some rookie). Bonus points for possible Trump harassment out of the state from her presence.

That third point can't be overstated (and you're a Californian, right? So maybe it's not as clear for someone who's also from an important populous state). Just the NYC metro area is 8 times more populous than my home state! It's a real job that requires real skills. NY positions should be held up for people like Hillary who can stay there and hold down the fort, so to speak. It should be a post-national place, not a pre-national one.

Okay, but she is also 70 years old and a former first lady. Why would she spend her final years arguing with NYC union leaders over contracts and shit.

Why not give an opportunity to some newer Dem since you all complain about that lack of bench so much.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Okay, but she is also 70 years old and a former first lady. Why would she spend her final years arguing with NYC union leaders over contracts and shit.

Why not give an opportunity to some newer Dem since you all complain about that lack of bench so much.

NYC mayor is like being a governor of a midsized state without all the extra powers. It's not a position to build a bench off of.

Dan

As an entirely theoretical proposition, if Hillary ran for something again doesn't Trump and Congress just open up a flood of investigations and bullshit against her again? They get their favorite enemy back and get to dive back into stupid issues their base loves.

People of color distrusted Bernie WAY more than they did Hillary.

Had the millions of folks who stayed home expressed their dissatisfaction with Hillary and Bernie early by voting for something else, then we would've been able to reasonably expect that both were going to do poorly vs. the Republican nominee. The low participation during the primary allowed passionate supporters to craft bad arguments about all the things they would do against the eventual Republican nominee. The reality was a lot whites and people of color didn't like them and the political revolution wasn't coming.

Pixieking

Banned
As an entirely theoretical proposition, if Hillary ran for something again doesn't Trump and Congress just open up a flood of investigations and bullshit against her again? They get their favorite enemy back and get to dive back into stupid issues their base loves.

Now the media's backed off, no longer mentioning emails every time Hillary's name is raised, and with Trump being so obviously worse... I think, yeah, the GOP could try and investigate her some more, but I don't think it would get very far. Everything that Hillary has done, Trump has done so much worse, so it just highlights their hypocrisy... And the media would push that angle a lot.

But then at least she can say, "You won't have Hillary Rodham Clinton to kick around anymore" and then win the presidency in 2020
They+Cant+Lick+Our+Dick+Nixon.jpg

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Now the media's backed off, no longer mentioning emails every time Hillary's name is raised, and with Trump being so obviously worse... I think, yeah, the GOP could try and investigate her some more, but I don't think it would get very far. Everything that Hillary has done, Trump has done so much worse, so it just highlights their hypocrisy... And the media would push that angle a lot.

Plus whatever she did would be NYC centric and if she did a good job, which is more than likely, they'd be less likely to bite given everyone is based here.

Dan

I'm not sure the media highlighted that particularly well during the 2016 election, so I'm not sure my faith would be real high about that going forward.

Plus whatever she did would be NYC centric and if she did a good job, which is more than likely, they'd be less likely to bite given everyone is based here.
I was thinking more preemptive than when/if she took another office.

She's not going to run for anything again.

She's going to spend the rest of her life working with her very successful foundation.

She'll never get over the fact that she lost, a feeling she'll share with Mitt, Kerry, McCain, Gore, Dole, and Dukakis. They never will.

She knows that her place right now is not in the public eye.

Just let her fucking be.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I'm not sure the media highlighted that particularly well during the 2016 election, so I'm not sure my faith would be real high about that going forward.

I was thinking more preemptive than when/if she took another office.

There'd be no point, the modern GOP can't win in NYC. Unless they find a Bloomberg-style technocrat who cared more about keeping the wheels turning than ideology they can't win.

She's not going to run for anything again.

She's going to spend the rest of her life working with her very successful foundation.

She'll never get over the fact that she lost, a feeling she'll share with Mitt, Kerry, McCain, Gore, Dole, and Dukakis. They never will.

She knows that her place right now is not in the public eye.

Just let her fucking be.

Agreed.

Is she well liked in NY? Against Trump maybe, but against anyone else?

She'd beat de Blasio and that's what would decide the winner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom