• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT2| we love the poorly educated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Damn all the news channels are playing this David Duke/Trump comment. He needs to get in front of this and have a news conference today or its going to cost him the election.

How will it hurt him when 20% of his supporters think that keeping slavery would have been fine? I mean, it hurts him in the General, but I don't think it matters at this point. Among GOP likely Trump voters, it's not going to hurt him. Hell, some will probably applaud him for saying out loud the things they've been thinking since the uppity black man dared become President.

Gabbard is literally using right wing talking points to attack Hillary on Foreign policy.

Is there still time for Obama to mount a challenge for 3rd term?

ObamaAndKids.jpg

Gabbard literally just said she had to endorse now because the voters weren't paying attention to the things they needed to, therefore she can explain it to us.

Enough Reddit for me today. And by today I mean forever.

When will people learn that the media shitting on trump does absolutley no damage to his campaign? If anything all this coverage is part of the REASON he's leading by nearly 50%. Yes, constant attacks on him seems to actually boost his numbers. So this whole thing is great for him. We haven't seen a candidate like this before.

When will people learn that the media shitting on trump does absolutley no damage to his campaign? If anything all this coverage is part of the REASON he's leading by nearly 50%. Yes, constant attacks on him seems to actually boost his numbers. So this whole thing is great for him. We haven't seen a candidate like this before.

I disagree in this case. I think Trump will under perform tomorrow and Rubio (and some of Kasich) will over perform.

How will it hurt him when 20% of his supporters think that keeping slavery would have been fine? I mean, it hurts him in the General, but I don't think it matters at this point. Among GOP likely Trump voters, it's not going to hurt him. Hell, some will probably applaud him for saying out loud the things they've been thinking since the uppity black man dared become President.

That was 20% of his voters in South Carolina. That's a heavily racist state though. Even using that number, that still leaves 80% that are probably not OK with the KKK. It is going to hurt him quite a bit in some other states too.

Gruco

Banned
I am going to miss Obama a lot, I think he was an amazing president and he makes me proud of every dollar I sent him.

That said, I doubt he will completely disappear from the public eye. And I am happy with his chosen successor. 8 years ago I did not imagine myself saying that, but I am.

PBY

Banned
I don't really buy the "broken rules" thing.

Just because something unconventional has happened, doesn't mean that this unconventional thing will continue to happen.

Also- is Trump even that "unconventional"? Trump the person is, but if you just look at how he's been polling since summer, even with Iowa, he looks like any other frontrunner and has performed as such.

Chichikov

Finally watched Last Week Tonight, damn that was awesome.
*air horns*

Nate SilverVerified account
‏@NateSilver538
Anyway, Trump will probably be the GOP nominee and possibly become President. No joke. If you care either way about this, you should vote.

I don't understand when he tweets stuff out like this.
Rubio's the nominee confirmed.
Quick, everybody start diablosing.

Rubio will take Minnesota. He has to. I need Trump to be the nominee. I need it to be Hillary who murders him on live TV.

She'll turn to the camera and ask "Should I hide the body in the usual place, America/' and then we'll just cheer and she'll win in a landslide.

Tubie

This weeks John Oliver was great.

The establishment should've attacked him months ago, but now its a little too late.

All they have is Rubio making a fool of himself now.

Diablos

I think we need to be careful what we wish for. As Nate says, the GOP looks to be going through a realignment period. In the midst of this it is harder to rely on the typical polling methods and conventional wisdom. He could eek out a win or lose to Clinton by a big margin. This man defies the norm and the more people jump on him the stronger he becomes. He must be connecting with a lot of people.

Really, now that we continue to see Rubio for what he is I'm kind of wishing he was the front runner. That ship has sailed though.

That was 20% of his voters in South Carolina. That's a heavily racist state though. Even using that number, that still leaves 80% that are probably not OK with the KKK. It is going to hurt him quite a bit in some other states too.

Nah.

Nationally, the YouGov data show a similar trend: Nearly 20 percent of Mr. Trump’s voters disagreed with the freeing of slaves in Southern states after the Civil War.

I wouldn't be surprised if a 40-50% of Trump's voters thought this way in SC alone.

Splendor

I think we need to start shifting our view on Trump and the media now that he so far ahead in the primaries. What may not have hurt him up to this point to get his base may now hurt him in a 1 on 1 stage of the race. Trump does not need to lock down his base, they arealready voting for him, and are enough to get him the nomination. What Trump needs is enough people outside his current base, and stories like this KKK one and others do not convince moderates. That is where the damage is being done, and we may not see the effects of this stuff until he has locked down the nomination. The race is evolving, but I am unsure if Trump is gonna be able to wash the stink off by november.

All the rumblings from the inside make is sound like the GOP is going to run it's own candidate for the general election, as well as drawing up plans to have key senators cut them off from Trump.

I take it Nate isn't counting on that to happen?

Kusagari

All the rumblings from the inside make is sound like the GOP is going to run it's own candidate for the general election, as well as drawing up plans to have key senators cut them off from Trump.

I take it Nate isn't counting on that to happen?

I truly do not understand this plan. Trump will tell his fanbase to not vote for any candidates running away from him. If anything could make the GOP lose the house it's this.

Holmes

I'm now reading /r SandersforPresident about how they're blind phone banking Massachusetts in response to the last poll that had Clinton up, and the amount of people that are saying they've upset lots of people....

Combined with reading the story Ivy just posted about superdelegates I'm wondering if a lot of the outreach of the more enthusiastic Sanders supporters this primary has had a negative impact.
I'm screaming you need to use a list of likely Democratic or Democratic-leaning voters and need to follow a script.

MSNBC is at the Univeristy of Georgia, and they managed to find three white students to inverview about the election. Not a single person of color in that interview. Come on MSNBC.

East Lake

I don't really buy the "broken rules" thing.

Just because something unconventional has happened, doesn't mean that this unconventional thing will continue to happen.

Also- is Trump even that "unconventional"? Trump the person is, but if you just look at how he's been polling since summer, even with Iowa, he looks like any other frontrunner and has performed as such.
Idk know anything but to me he might need to step back a little bit from speculating about why things happen. Looking through his twitter a lot of the stuff he makes comments on is sort of subjective stuff that's got to be almost entirely unpredictable from any data standpoint.

I truly do not understand this plan. Trump will tell his fanbase to not vote for any candidates running away from him. If anything could make the GOP lose the house it's this.

Who knows, maybe they GOP will test the waters and see what the support is going to be like in the general before making any drastic plans, but all the mainstream people on the GOP side are freaking the fuck out, so I always think that if they are freaking out then they probably know something.

We need a new face and new administration honestly. I love Bams but it's almost his time to go.

How badly the party has suffered at the local level really can't be ignored. It would likely get worse if it was possible for him to run again. He's managed to avoid the lame duck status most presidents suffer from during their last years but you'd really start to see his favorablility drop if he was around for another 4 years.

Hopefully under Hillary well do better at the state level. We really really have to do better. We can't afford 4-8 more years of nothing major getting through congress.

I'm now reading /r SandersforPresident about how they're blind phone banking Massachusetts in response to the last poll that had Clinton up, and the amount of people that are saying they've upset lots of people....

Combined with reading the story Ivy just posted about superdelegates I'm wondering if a lot of the outreach of the more enthusiastic Sanders supporters this primary has had a negative impact.

A revolution*!

*from using proper campaigning tactics and voter identification

If they want to run someone else, it has to be someone outside the current race. It needs to be someone who gives no fucks about their future within the party. Mittens would be a good enough choice. He hasn't signed the stupid loyalty pledge. He could run as Moderate Mitt, as we all know he really was.

Nate SilverVerified account
‏@NateSilver538
Anyway, Trump will probably be the GOP nominee and possibly become President. No joke. If you care either way about this, you should vote.

I don't understand when he tweets stuff out like this.

What do you mean? He is trying to push out the youth of America to go out and vote.

Brinbe

This David Duke/KKK story isn't gonna hurt him... so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

And of course Trump's base would go with him if they tried to screw him out of the nom. That's further validation that the establishment doesn't listen to them and does what they want.

I know its hard for us to buy but many / most Republicans really believe that their party is essentially color-blind and supports equality for everyone. To see a transparent white nationalist win their nomination is pretty devastating. Supporting a third party candidate distances them for Trump's message and ensures he can't win. There is a chance he goes scorched earth but this is serious soul of the party stuff for them.

PBY

Banned
What do you mean? He is trying to push out the youth of America to go out and vote.

I mean... I get that - but I just assumed 538/Nate would be different regarding election stuff. I don't want Nate to motivate people - I just want Nate to be a data wizard, which in fairness, may be asking too much in this kind of madness.

It sounds like their phone bank list is a hot mess.

Which is weird. The Hillary one I had was great yesterday. I didn't have a single Sanders supporter, and I only had one or two Republicans (one of which his wife was the one I was trying to get to). I had a lot of no answers, of course, but the numbers were good. I was calling GA, though.

Teggy

Hillary is 55/38 in the CNN poll, btw. Didn't see that posted. Swing of +3 to her since the last poll.

I want to see O'Donnell in a puddle tomorrow night.

In other news, I am refusing to diablos about this New York poll story for the time being. It reads like total junk.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
b-dubs what time is the thread going up?

It's going up tonight. I have another project whose due date got moved up so I took today off so I could finish both. As soon as I finish the paying one I'm going to finish the thread off. Also, ty for the PM.

I want to see O'Donnell in a puddle tomorrow night.

In other news, I am refusing to diablos about this New York poll story for the time being. It reads like total junk.

Which one? The one where Bernie is running ahead of Hillary in Long Island? That one?

Makai

Trump says he already disavowed Duke and he couldn't hear them during the Tapper interview.

"I'm sitting in a house in Florida with a very bad earpiece that they gave me, and you could hardly hear what he was saying. But what I heard was various groups, and I don't mind disavowing anybody, and I disavowed David Duke and I disavowed him the day before at a major news conference, which is surprising because he was at the major news conference, CNN was at the major news conference, and they heard me very easily disavow David Duke," the Republican presidential frontrunner explained on NBC's "Today."

He disavowed during his Christie endorsement, I remember.

It's weird that the media is only willing to call out statements that are obviously 100% racist and not statements that are 98% racist.

I mean, Trump winking at David Duke is horrific, but so is Kasich praising Strom Thurmond and bringing him intentionally on a hugely watched TV event.

But no one cared that Kasich was winking at white supremacists in the South Carolina debate.

Trump says he already disavowed Duke and he couldn't hear them during the Tapper interview.

Dude, come the fuck on.

Trump fucking said "I don't know who David Duke is"

Trump has shown how little effort you have to give to cover up your racism.

Does anyone have a link to the latest poll results for tomorrow? Or maybe a info graphic showing what states Clinton leads/Sanders leads etc.

Does anyone have a link to the latest poll results for tomorrow? Or maybe a info graphic showing what states Clinton leads/Sanders leads etc.

www.pollster.com

It lists everything by state. You can also go to 538 and look at their predictions. :)

Bernie leads in Vermont. Hillary leads everywhere else, except for MN and CO as we have no polling.

New poll of Arizona

Hillary 56
Bernie 22

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/news/2016/02/29/arizona-poll-hillary-clinton-has-big-lead-on.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom