• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT2| we love the poorly educated

Status
Not open for further replies.

FiggyCal

Banned
Is anyone else crushed by the death of the Mellissa Harris Perry show like I am? Writing was on the wall after many weeks of it getting booted by election coverage, but still sad to hear it's official.

I really don't know what could replace that as an academic show look at the actual issue as they relate to real life humans.

I guess Democracy Now does that, but it's light on domestic issues, does a worse job at presenting the arguments of the other side, and is generally is hard to stay awake through.

Hopefully MHP will make a podcast or something to fill the void.

I didn't watch her show, but I remember really liking the lisp she had. MSNBC is a mess abyways. I think morning joe and Maddow are the only good shows they have right now.

Grief.exe

Is anyone else crushed by the death of the Mellissa Harris Perry show like I am? Writing was on the wall after many weeks of it getting booted by election coverage, but still sad to hear it's official.

I really don't know what could replace that as an academic show look at the actual issue as they relate to real life humans.

I guess Democracy Now does that, but it's light on domestic issues, does a worse job at presenting the arguments of the other side, and is generally is hard to stay awake through.

Not in the demographic for cable news.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Howdy y'all.

I just came back from the California State Democratic convention. My first one ever! It was pretty cool for the most part. Got to see Robert Reich and Kamala Harris speak in person, and Loretta Sanchez shook my hand which was cool, I guess. But the best part was the guest of honor, Diamond Joe himself. He actually spoke way longer than I expected, but never got boring. Sadly we didn't get to meet personally with him, but still, was pretty awesome.

Iolo

You know $40 million would be nice seed money to fund a bunch of shows like this. I'm just sayin', Bernie...

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I think tomorrow hopefully ends the Hillary/Bernie wars. Lol who am I kidding it won't.

Shinra and Y2Kev will very busy tomorrow night.
Based on my Twitter feed, polls and demographic trends be damned. This keeps going because Obama didn't mathematically clinch it until much later in the process. Bernie just needs time.

I've been watching the 2012 election night coverage from MSNBC and it's pretty crazy how they're talking trash about Trump and even call for the GOP leadership to denounce him before his sort of lunacy takes over the party, and 4 years later here we are.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I didn't watch her show, but I remember really liking the lisp she had. MSNBC is a mess abyways. I think morning joe and Maddow are the only good shows they have right now.

Ew at Morning Joe. That stuff's as bad as Fox.

Maddow is fun for some conservative bashing, but so is Trever Noah, Larry Wilmore, John Oliver, Samantha Bee, and Stephen Colbert.

I don't mind if Bernie stays in until it's mathematically impossible for him to win. However, I'm a bit paternal, and I do not want these young people on Reddit to keep giving him money. Even if some of the post are just being silly, there were people on there today like donating $300 and $400 and proving it with screenshots.

I have a very excited friend who says he's excited for Bernie's fight to go all the way to June. I'm not opposed to it, I just don't think it's going to happen.

hawk2025

I don't mind if Bernie stays in until it's mathematically impossible for him to win. However, I'm a bit paternal, and I do not want these young people on Reddit to keep giving him money. Even if some of the post are just being silly, there were people on there today like donating $300 and $400 and proving it with screenshots.

The worst part is thinking that at least part of this money will go right into the pockets of corporations like ClearChannel and Comcast.

Oooofff!

I've been watching the 2012 election night coverage from MSNBC and it's pretty crazy how they're talking trash about Trump and even call for the GOP leadership to denounce him before his sort of lunacy takes over the party, and 4 years later here we are.

Yeah, I loved Chris Matthews going "All that ridiculous rhetoric from people like Donald Trump and Sununu and Romney still lost. Plus that speaker of the house whatever his name is talking about food stamps. Ridiculous"

Chris Matthews was so full of vindication that he forgot Newt Gingrich's name.

nukedeggs

So for the general election I was wondering how I would register to vote. I never really registered before (I was too young to vote in 2008, voted for Obama in 2012 but I was also in uni and it was really easy to vote at that time for some reason), but I recently moved to New York, without a New York ID or anything like that. I did recently renew my California state ID though, so...would it just be easier for me to register to vote in California even though I live in New York? Also, is the voter registration process arduous? I was scared off of getting a New York state ID because it said it needed my Social Security card, which is all the way back at my parent's place in Cali.

I think Bernie started drinking his own Kool-Aid and really believes that money equals votes.

Feel bad for all of his supporters that think that too. I'm pretty sure that's what's behind all of those Reddit posts about people cutting off their heat and going hungry because they donated grocery money to Bernie.

You can't literally buy votes like that you idiots, or else Jeb Bush would be the GOP nominee.
Hah I love this post. It's so true though. Man, I can't believe some of the Reddit posts about people donating food money and student loan money to Bernie...it's pretty unfortunate. I'm surprised that they think that donating is as effective as it is.

CCS

Banned
You're welcome to whomever you want. Just get their permission first. Standard text messaging rates may apply.

As with other things, I can take that many different ways ;)

I'm sure you can ;) I'll give it to you like the results tomorrow will give it to Sanders' campaign :p

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
So for the general election I was wondering how I would register to vote. I never really registered before (I was too young to vote in 2008, voted for Obama in 2012 but I was also in uni and it was really easy to vote at that time for some reason), but I recently moved to New York, without a New York ID or anything like that. I did recently renew my California state ID though, so...would it just be easier for me to register to vote in California even though I live in New York? Also, is the voter registration process arduous? I was scared off of getting a New York state ID because it said it needed my Social Security card, which is all the way back at my parent's place in Cali.

Hah I love this post. It's so true though. Man, I can't believe some of the Reddit posts about people donating food money and student loan money to Bernie...it's pretty unfortunate. I'm surprised that they think that donating is as effective as it is.

Voter registration is stupid easy in NY. I'll find you a link when I get home.

I think if the FOMO is as widespread as I think it could be, the animosity dissipates into the ether as people who were never actually interested anyway, probably wouldn't have voted regardless in November, probably aren't even really voting now given the outcomes we're set to see... return to not caring.

Looks like you might be able to register to vote online and then vote by mail: http://www.sos.ca.gov/elections/voter-registration/vote-mail/#vote-by-mail

What does this word mean? Pretend you're explaining it to a 90 year old woman with a lot of cats

FO·MO
ˈfōmō/
nouninformal
noun: FOMO

anxiety that an exciting or interesting event may currently be happening elsewhere, often aroused by posts seen on a social media website.

http://www.elections.ny.gov/VotingRegister.html

There's the NY Board of elections site. It looks very simple. No ID required to vote or register, from what I can see. I'm sure someone from NYGaf can explain it better if you have any questions, though :)

I'm sure you can ;) I'll give it to you like the results tomorrow will give it to Sanders' campaign :p

So I'm going to get destroyed in the south. Sounds fun. :p

FO·MO
ˈfōmō/
nouninformal
noun: FOMO

anxiety that an exciting or interesting event may currently be happening elsewhere, often aroused by posts seen on a social media website.

Fear Of Missing Out basically

Got it. Thank you. :) (And to anyone else who explained it to me that I may have missed)

What does this word mean? Pretend you're explaining it to a 90 year old woman with a lot of cats
Let's say I don't really care about music at all, don't listen to it much. And I don't really care about Kanye West, nor listen to his music. But Kanye West is releasing a new album. And everybody is talking about it. And he's having a big concert, and all my friends are going. And he's going on Twitter tirades. And they're all signing up to Tidal or whatever.

I sign up and get the album, I follow him on Twitter, and buy tickets to the concert.

Because FOMO.

HylianTom

Banned
Hillary makes a Star Wars reference in an email:

CcbCOqEW8AEbm_Y.jpg

hawk2025

FOMO is the perspective a lot of people had back in... 2005 or so about what being a "hipster" was, diluted and fully incorporated into the culture of 2016.

You should try to vote in New York since apparently the Donald is going to put it in play this November. CA will be blue forever as long as the parties are aligned as they currently are.

I like the emails where she shows how incredibly inept she is with technology.

Unfit For Command.

forgot all about these emails. what was the rationale for drip releasing them again? especially right before super tuesday?

the whole thing smells of bizarre partisan nonsense.
But they aren't being drip released anymore; this is supposed to be all of them out now.

As of tomorrow I will have doubled my PredictIt money if Hillary wins MA. Not as big a stake as you guys though, and only betting on favorites.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom