• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT2| we love the poorly educated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cerium

THE FIRE RISES

yijF3oY.png

CCS

Banned
Screw it :p

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

If those Tennessee numbers for wanting more liberal policies are correct, Bernie's team dun goof'd by not going there. I mean, he wouldn't have won, but he could have made it closer than it probably will be.

danm999

>50% of people that didn't graduate college supporting free trade is definitely surprising to me right now after all the shit Trump and Bernie talked about free trade last year.

I'm not. Most people don't seem to give a shit about the TPP outside the internet.

A lot of people also understand globalization is why shit can be sold cheaper and cheaper.

pigeon

Banned
>50% of people that didn't graduate college supporting free trade is definitely surprising to me right now after all the shit Trump and Bernie talked about free trade last year.

IT'S BECAUSE FREE TRADE IS GOOD

I AM GOING TO DIE OF AN ANEURYSM IN THE BLOOD VESSEL THAT IS BEING CONSTRICTED BY MY FINGER HOLDING DOWN THE SHIFT KEY TO KEEP TYPING IN ALL THE THREADS THAT FREE TRADE IS GOOD

Judging from my FB feed and chats, I'm the only one that didn't vote for Trump. And the vitriol is pouring out. This state is fucked.

Thats so weird. None of my Republican friends support, or can even stand, Trump. A had lunch with a very conservative woman a couple weeks back and she finds him completely gross. My mom still lives in a rural part of Texas and she was saying her friends are the same way. Everyone thinks he's your typical rude, arrogant Yankee. These are people who still support Ben Carson because he's a better example for black Americans than Obama.

In Texas, fewer than half of GOP voters – about four in 10 – are looking for a political outsider, fewer than anywhere else. Nearly four in 10 in preliminary exit poll data also say it matters a great deal to them to support a candidate who shares their religious beliefs, and six in 10 are evangelicals. Two-thirds say they’d be satisfied with Ted Cruz as the nominee, a high for him among all states in which we have exit polls – compared with nearly six in 10 for Rubio and less than half for Trump. That said, two-thirds of GOP primary voters in Texas want to build a wall along the entire U.S.-Mexico border, as Trump has suggested.

Cruz taking Texas.

Only thing I can think of concerning Trump's press conference: he'll announce he won't participate in anymore debates. Maybe it will be definitive, maybe it'll have conditions (no Megyn Kelly for instance).

IT'S BECAUSE FREE TRADE IS GOOD

I AM GOING TO DIE OF AN ANEURYSM IN THE BLOOD VESSEL THAT IS BEING CONSTRICTED BY MY FINGER HOLDING DOWN THE SHIFT KEY TO KEEP TYPING IN ALL THE THREADS THAT FREE TRADE IS GOOD

I think free trade is good too!

I'm just surprised that apparently even Trump voters are okay with free trade.

Gruco

Banned
Bad news :( I have a secret tape of every single single Super Tuesday Republican voting Rubio and every single Super Tuesday Democrat voting Sanders. The dream is dead.

Tarkus

Thats so weird. None of my Republican friends support, or can even stand, Trump. A had lunch with a very conservative woman a couple weeks back and she finds him completely gross. My mom still lives in a rural part of Texas and she was saying her friends are the same way. Everyone thinks he's your typical rude, arrogant Yankee. These are people who still support Ben Carson because he's a better example for black Americans than Obama.
I don't get it either. It's like these people only pay attention to who gets the most airtime.
1408.gif

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Please. Biden was referring to a retirement...basically signaling that a Justice shouldn't try to usurp the will of the people by timing their retirement right as Bush was going to lose. His remarks here were nearly in July, not January. Furthermore, it was til the campaign season was over, NOT when the next President took office. So he was still leaving room for Bush to appoint someone in November if it came to it. He didn't want the entire campaign be a referendum on a nominee specifically.

These false equivalencies are annoying. You will find nothing that shows Biden believes if a SCOTUS member died that they shouldn't be replaced. Sure, if it happened in Sept I could understand (and to an extent agree).
While you're right that a justice retiring and dying are not equivalent, be honest, you know it was mostly done for the interest of the party. I don't blame Biden for it. That a justice "shouldn't try to usurp the will of the people by timing their retirement" isn't incredibly far off from Republicans saying that it should wait until the next president so the people can decide. Obviously though the people already decided when they voted in 2012 and 2014. Can presidents even stop judges from retiring? I wonder if it's even possible for Congress to set a rule to wait until a new session. If Biden "didn't want the entire campaign be a referendum on a nominee specifically" then he should be saying that now.

Furthermore, Obama has said he regrets attempting to filibuster Alito. Well I've seen multiple news outlets use that term but can't find a direct quote.

Even back then he didn't like the idea of blocking a nominee but he was going to do it anyway:
Barack Obama said:
"Well, I will be supporting the filibuster because I think Judge Alito, in fact, is somebody who is contrary to core American values, not just liberal values, you know. When you look at his decisions in particular during times of war, we need a court that is independent and is going to provide some check on the executive branch, and he has not shown himself willing to do that repeatedly. I will say this, though, I think that the Democrats have to do a much better job in making their case on these issues. These last-minute efforts using procedural maneuvers inside the Beltway, I think, has been the wrong way of going about it, and we need to recognize, because Judge Alito will be confirmed, that if we're going to oppose a nominee that we've got to persuade the American people that, in fact, their values are at stake and frankly I'm not sure that we've successfully done that."
The key difference being he felt Democrats did a bad job explaining why. Republicans will not even consider anyone.

What I'm really getting at is what Obama said:
Barack Obama said:
"I think what’s fair to say is that how judicial nominations have evolved over time is not historically the fault of any single party. This has become just one more extension of politics," he said.

It's not a one-to-one equivalency, but you shouldn't try to dispute the similarities.

Cruz taking Texas.

I've been thinking about why Texas is so anti- Trump and think there are two big things:

1. If you're a middle class or better white person, things are pretty great here. Lots of quality jobs even after the oil market bust. The biggest problem most people have in the cities is affording a house because prices are so nuts.

2. We're racist, but not the hardcore, overt racism you see elsewhere in the south. Except for East Texas we keep that shit under wraps. I guess its because the plantation culture was never big here? Visiting the deep south in college was brutal after growing up in Texas. Also, you have to give George W Bush and Rick Perry credit for keeping the loud assholes in line.

Crocodile

giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom