• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT2| we love the poorly educated

Status
Not open for further replies.
CcfsnY1WAAM_5hR.jpg:large

So Inclusive this party.

I doubt he'll do it, but if there was ever a year in which Obama could up the ante on racial criticisms of the GOP while tying them directly to Trump this would be the perfect year. There would be little danger.

They're going to have a nominee who winks to the KKK, and a majority whip who once was involved with white supremacist groups. It's time to call it for what it is.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I've been thinking about why Texas is so anti- Trump and think there are two big things:

1. If you're a middle class or better white person, things are pretty great here. Lots of quality jobs even after the oil market bust. The biggest problem most people have in the cities is affording a house because prices are so nuts.

2. We're racist, but not the hardcore, overt racism you see elsewhere in the south. Execpt for East Texas we keep that shit under wraps. I guess its because the plantation culture was never big here? Visiting the deep south in college was brutal after growing up in Texas. Also, you have to give George W Bush and Rick Perry credit for keeping the loud assholes in line.

I don't think it's trump hate. It's just that Cruz is from Texas.

thefro

I've been thinking about why Texas is so anti- Trump and think there are two big things:

1. If you're a middle class or better white person, things are pretty great here. Lots of quality jobs even after the oil market bust. The biggest problem most people have in the cities is affording a house because prices are so nuts.

2. We're racist, but not the hardcore, overt racism you see elsewhere in the south. Except for East Texas we keep that shit under wraps. I guess its because the plantation culture was never big here? Visiting the deep south in college was brutal after growing up in Texas. Also, you have to give George W Bush and Rick Perry credit for keeping the loud assholes in line.

Here's footage of a local Republican meeting in Texas that should explain things.

I think there are too many states for these numbers to mean anything unless they break it down by state. This isn't a national primary.

Zeke

We don't recognize him as a Texan. Ever see that king of the hill episode with hank trying to please Holloway's cowboy fetish? That's pretty much Cruz. A Canadian playing dressup as a Texan.

Slacker

Two observations from this week in Texas:

1. I almost never see political stuff on Facebook. I have one hardcore righty friend that posts stuff all day every day, but aside from that, everyone subscribes to the unwritten 'no politics on facebook' rule. Despite that, I've seen that John Oliver piece on Trump shared at least a dozen times, as well as the David Brooks piece from the NYT. People in my circles at least are not fond of Trump.

2. A number of people have posted "I voted!" posts today on Facebook. Almost every single person I know to be a Republican-leaner basically said something like "Well I had to pick someone." No one is fired up about their candidate on the Republican side.

Yeah but Trump is killing Rubio in FL and a little ahead of Kasich in OH. Part of that is that Texans are the insanely nationalistic about our state but, like Zeke said, Cruz isn't going to be considered a 'real' Texan by GOP voters.

2. We're racist, but not the hardcore, overt racism you see elsewhere in the south. Except for East Texas we keep that shit under wraps. I guess its because the plantation culture was never big here? Visiting the deep south in college was brutal after growing up in Texas. Also, you have to give George W Bush and Rick Perry credit for keeping the loud assholes in line.

Texas is not overtly racist? News to me.

Muzy72

Banned
Voted for Hillary!

At my precinct there was a decent mix of Republicans and Democrats. Couldn't get a feel for who the Republicans were voting for, but all the Democrats in line with me where older Hispanic ladies, so sorry Bernie bros. This was in San Antonio.

Also, LOT more people here on primary day than when I voted in the midterms, and it was the same polling station and went at the same time. Excited to see the turnout on actual Election Day!

While you're right that a justice retiring and dying are not equivalent, be honest, you know it was mostly done for the interest of the party. I don't blame Biden for it. That a justice "shouldn't try to usurp the will of the people by timing their retirement" isn't incredibly far off from Republicans saying that it should wait until the next president so the people can decide. Obviously though the people already decided when they voted in 2012 and 2014. Can presidents even stop judges from retiring? I wonder if it's even possible for Congress to set a rule to wait until a new session. If Biden "didn't want the entire campaign be a referendum on a nominee specifically" then he should be saying that now.

Furthermore, Obama has said he regrets attempting to filibuster Alito. Well I've seen multiple news outlets use that term but can't find a direct quote.

Even back then he didn't like the idea of blocking a nominee but he was going to do it anyway:

The key difference being he felt Democrats did a bad job explaining why. Republicans will not even consider anyone.

What I'm really getting at is what Obama said:

It's not a one-to-one equivalency, but you shouldn't try to dispute the similarities.

No doubt that partisanship is up on both sides, but you didn't really respond to the fact that there were lots of differences in what Biden said and what McConnell has said.

Large percentages of Republican primary voters are angry at the way the federal government is working and feel that they have been betrayed by Republican politicians.

They are also strongly in favor of temporarily banning Muslims who are not U.S. citizens from entering the country: support ranged from 64 percent in Virginia to 78 percent in Alabama and Arkansas. (Support was 69 percent in Georgia, 72 percent in Tennessee, and 65 percent in Texas).

For Democrats, the economy is the top issue in all states.

Except in Vermont, "right experience" trumps all other qualities as the the most important quality voters want to see in the candidate they choose. In Vermont, where Democratic presidential candidate Bernie Sanders serves as a U.S. senator, voters value an "honest/trustworthy" candidate.

CBS Exits

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
"Preliminary exit polls: At least 6 in 10 GOP voters today support banning Muslims who are not citizens from entering country. "

If I could get a teaching job in Canada, Ireland, or England, I would move my family. Raising 4 kids in this environment does not appeal to me in the least :/

Large percentages of Republican primary voters are angry at the way the federal government is working and feel that they have been betrayed by Republican politicians.

HORRIBLE news for Rubio.

Who in the hell are these 2% of Republicans who call themselves liberal?

I think they're from Vermont and Mass.

The one thing I saw showed a lot of people who identify as Independents voted in the Vermont GOP primary. (I know there is no party registration there). I wonder if some felt Bernie was do inevitable they crossed the aisle. Could keep Hillary viable, which is all I want.

People also think Obama is quite liberal--and that More Liberal means replacing the Constitution with the Communist Manifesto or some shit.

You think half of Tennessee Democratic voters want to replace the US Constitution with the Communist Manifesto?

If anything that hurt him because in the last few days the only Rubio news was him getting roasted by Trump and Christie. Who is going to vote for a puddle of sweat?
I think his antics in the last few days would have hurt him more than anything Trump did. They previously broke for him because he wasn't the ridiculous choice.

I guess they could go Kasich now instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom