• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT2| we love the poorly educated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gruco

Banned
Do you not realize that income is the biggest reason students choose community college over a four-year institution? High income groups generally attend private universities, which wouldn't be affected by such a tuition plan. This really cannot be denied.

You're really underestimating how many high income students are served by state flagships, and how expensive they are. You're also underestimating the extent to which preparedness and selectivity drives sorting. I work at a public school that charges over 40k per year and has basically no one with from families earning less than 100k. These are the people benefiting in a free tuition plan. CC is already very near free when federal benefits are factored in.

You'd seriously be hard pressed to find many economists who consider this a progressive idea. In fact it was one of the worst rated of all candidates plans when planet money surveyed economists, beaten only by Cruz's flat tax and Trump's "deport everyone."

That's the argument we're going with. Just out of spite, we shouldn't help people with more income and so we should limit ourselves to community college only?
This is an incredibly silly straw man and I explicitly stated there are other progressive programs which are useful to expand access. This is not a binary choice between what Bernie wants and doing nothing.

The ~5% payroll tax that will be compensated by a large drop in healthcare spending by employers and employees is significant enough to be called regressive? And need citations to show that free PUBLIC college tuition benefits high income groups. Can't just assume these things.
Money is fungible, so yes, choosing the most regressive possible funding mechanism deserves to be called on what it is.

TBH I didn't think it was controversial that high income -> more selective college -> higher tuition -> greater benefits from free tuition. Shouting privates doesn't make this less true because there is still a gradient of quality and cost in the public sector. Pointing out (correctly) that people go to lower quality schools because of financial constraints does not eliminate the consistent advantage in preparedness high income families have in attending the most selective schools.

But if you don't believe me the trend is visible in the student loan data. Students with the smallest amounts of student debt are at the highest risk of default because they have lower incomes.

Teggy

So have you guys seen this Van Jones argument with Jeffrey Lord where Lord has the gall to say the KKK were progressives?

HylianTom

Banned
Now its Tom and my turn. We will deliver LA to Hillary and Trump on Saturday.

A lot of Louisiana PoliGAFers here. I've been seeing plenty of Bernie bumperstickers in my part of town, slightly fewer Hillary stickers, and even.. a Ben Carson sticker. It'll be fun to see what kind of margins we end-up with.

==

Also:

Jeet Heer ‏@HeerJeet 6m6 minutes ago
Mark my word, the GOP convention in Cleveland is going to be the biggest shitstrorm since Chicago 1968.

RunningfromBirds.gif

Rubenov

A lot of Louisiana PoliGAFers here. I've been seeing plenty of Bernie bumperstickers in my part of town, slightly fewer Hillary stickers, and even.. a Ben Carson sticker. It'll be fun to see what kind of margins we end-up with.

Who do you think, Cruz or Trump? Since it borders Texas it may show an Oklahoma-like effect, but Louisiana is definitely more South.

Maengun1

I figured Bernie would win 1 of OK/MN/CO, but all 3.....eek. I feel like the race keeps flip-flopping, but rather than "Hillary leading, now Bernie leading" it's more like "Hillary about to land the DEATH BLOW...oh wait Bernie got back up again."

It's so exhausting, I really just want the primary settled. The longer it goes on the more the Bernie people I know IRL and online become embittered toward Clinton.

I'll be voting in Michigan next week :)

HylianTom

Banned
Who do you think, Cruz or Trump? Since it borders Texas it may show an Oklahoma-like effect, but Louisiana is definitely more South.

I'm leaning Trump. Anecdotally, I'm seeing a lot more of his stickers in the suburbs. If he did that well over in Alabama, I'm thinking he'll also do similarly well here.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I figured Bernie would win 1 of OK/MN/CO, but all 3.....eek. I feel like the race keeps flip-flopping, but rather than "Hillary leading, now Bernie leading" it's more like "Hillary about to land the DEATH BLOW...oh wait Bernie got back up again."

It's so exhausting, I really just want the primary settled. The longer it goes on the more the Bernie people I know IRL and online become embittered toward Clinton.

Naw, the race is over now all but on paper. Ironically I think the Trump/Cruz race is closer.

Rubio is going to win Puerto Rico this Saturday. He's right on track for that Puerto Rico momentum bump

He'll probably win Hawaii too. And Cruz/Trump will mop up the plains states.

I'm leaning Trump. Anecdotally, I'm seeing a lot more of his stickers in the suburbs. If he did that well over in Alabama, I'm thinking he'll also do similarly well here.
LA is a closed primary, probably helps Cruz there.

Iolo

don't know if you were around in 2008 but us Obama supporters had to spend months waiting for Hillary to see the writing on the wall and drop out (until it was mathematically impossible, not just practically impossible)---and she was much closer.

Remember how New Hampshire and Iowa are two of Bernie's best states because of all the white liberals?

Green = Bernie win
Red = Bernie loss
Yellow = Upcoming primary/caucus within 2 weeks

jznY6rv.png

royalan

No, the death blow was landed. The body just doesn't know the soul has left it.

Trump still has to win everything from here on out to clinch the nomination though doesn't he (with healthy margins to boot)? If you're anyone else all you have to do is focus on the two dozen or so delegates you need to get to keep him under 1237. Seems simple enough given that he has to really outperform in the proportional states to ensure there's no brokered convention.

Although if he's that close it's a really hard argument to make that he's not the one who 'deserves' it. If it was a three way tie I think it's way easier to do some convention floor shenanigans. But if Trump is sitting at like 1180? I dunno, seems like a lost cause at that point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom