• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT2| we love the poorly educated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Hillary's server was probably more secure because she has to hide all this emails about huma and Vince foster and also her dalliances with benji.

Maledict

In amongst all the hilarity and car-crash awfulness of last night's debate, I missed the fact that Bob dole gave an interview where he said he would support Trump over Cruz, and that stopping Cruz should be the main focus of Republicans.

Christ their party really is at war with no good options apart from Kasich, a guy who is so far behind in almost every poll it's hard to see how he ends up on top - or even winning a state at this point.

Remember when we started this season and the Republicans were crowing about their incredibly deep bench?

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!

Trump: "Look at me. I'm the captain now"

An "incredibly deep bench" that couldn't beat a guy with no political experience.

Honestly though it says more about our media and the process more than one party's failings.

Bowdz

Wait

Trump dropped out of CPAC?????

Why would he do this? Seriously, what is the upside?

Also, I've been perusing the media this morning and it is really hard to overstate just how bad the media (including the conservative media) is tearing into the GOP today. Yesterday was an absolute shitstorm that seemed to convince many Republicans that none of their candidates are fit for the POTUS. To think we still have 5 months left in the primary...

Ekai

...is it? We have two groups which we acknowledge demonstrate similar behavior. If the qualifiers are in place what's the real issue?

I never said it was absolutely similar. I said that I acknowledge that the comparison being made is in regards to his "militant" supporters with GG.

My issue is with this comparison being made of fellow Democrats and with my personal experience with GG. It feels like a comparison of a boogeyman rather than one being made with experience in regards to GG itself. As someone dealing with GG, this feels like a "let's go for the worst current thing to be" argument. My issue is the comparison feels off-base since GG itself represents something vastly different. My issue is that GG is this formless entity that attacks and ruins the lives of person after person. I can't take a comparison to GG seriously unless it really really fits. Their existence isn't some light thing you can just toss out to describe something you don't like. They are far worse than that. They're a real threat as unfortunate as that is to say.

My issue is using a very real hate movement as a boogeyman when said hate movement is still acting to this day. My issue is in regards to demeaning fellow Democrats because it also continues to feel like a generalization in some regards. There have been Bernie supporters called militant for just preferring him to her in the past for goodness sake. So what are we quantifying as militant today? Are we quantifying militant as actually heinous things which have happened or are we quantifying it as "they're militant for not liking Hillary as much"? Seriously. Even in the case of the first the comparison feels entirely off-base because it's using a very real hate movement that was very very big and actively tried to ruin the lives of many to an extremely small subset of Bernie supporters that, as far as I'm aware, have no influence on ruining anyone. The comparison rings as those making it not being personally familiar with what GG stands for. It's way too simple and base a comparison.

Dave Weigel's thinking on Trump skipping CPAC. Makes sense to me.

daveweigel @daveweigel
I met quite a few Trump fans at CPAC. But I think the image of him being booed in a half empty room would have been worse than this story.

Also, I've been perusing the media this morning and it is really hard to overstate just how bad the media (including the conservative media) is tearing into the GOP today. Yesterday was an absolute shitstorm that seemed to convince many Republicans that none of their candidates are fit for the POTUS. To think we still have 5 months left in the primary...

Kasich won the debate by saying that he will invade Syria, Iraq, and Libya at the same time.

I saw a few of my Republican family say on Facebook that they're just not going to vote because "all of these people are ridiculous and all they do is lie about Obama"

Obama Republicans?

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I saw a few of my Republican family say on Facebook that they're just not going to vote because "all of these people are ridiculous and all they do is lie about Obama"

Obama Republicans?

I love how often it's parroted (especially by Cruz and Rubio) that Obamacare is "the biggest jobkiller in history" even though there is literally zero legitimate evidence anywhere that supports that assertion.

watershed

Banned
Trump can read the play. He knows the GOP is trying to outflank him on the right so he's limiting their opportunities to do so in person by skipping CPAC.

Was listening to the New Yorker politics podcast and the two writers they had on seemed pretty convinced that Hillary should choose Elizabeth Warren as her VP because she only needs to consolidate the Democrat electorate to win the election and that having two women will drive home the contrast between the Democrats and Trump's misogyny.

I had assumed Warren wasn't in contention or necessary because Hillary will pivot to the center in the general rather than to the left and that two old women on the ticket would be taking too big a risk with voters. (also, why not put Gillibrand on the ticket if you wanted two women on the ticket?) but I'd rather see Warren on the ticket than Castro, which continues to seem like an awful idea born of desperation and a complete lack of bench than anything else.

thoughts?

Clinton and Gillibrand are both from New York. There's some complicated EC-related process that makes same state tickets unlikely.

If Clinton wants a female VP there's always: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amy_Klobuchar

Bowdz

Obama's decency stands out after watching Trump and Cruz and Rubio 14.0.

Anyway, Mitch McConnell is probably making a huge mistake:

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/...urt-vacancy-could-expand-2016-senate-map.html

Holy shiiiiiiiiiit.

That certainly bodes well for the Dems especially if Trump's the nominee and the GOP civil war continues. Let me just dream for a second of a Senate without McCain, Kirk, Johnson, Grassely, Johnson, Ayotte, Toomey, and Rubio. Dear God.

Clinton and Gillibrand are both from New York. There's some complicated EC-related process that makes same state tickets unlikely.

If Clinton wants a female VP there's always: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amy_Klobuchar

Its not complicated exactly the electors can't vote for both president and vice president from their own state. For a big state like New York or a Swing State that runs the risk of not having enough votes to elect the VP (and possibly giving you the opposite party VP as a result).

pigeon

Banned
I'm increasingly worried about some of the rhetoric I see about free trade from the left. Basically everything that was said in this thread the other day, but I'm just seeing it directly now as well

I agree with this and it bums me right out. I don't blame Sanders for much, but I do blame him for legitimizing protectionism on the left. We're supposed to be the party of solutions for the future, not solutions for the 1800s.

jtb

Banned

Its not complicated exactly the electors can't vote for both president and vice president from their own state. For a big state like New York or a Swing State that runs the risk of not having enough votes to elect the VP (and possibly giving you the opposite party VP as a result).

That's fascinating -- I had no idea. What a strange little quirk in the EC.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy

Correct - technically the VP and Presidential nominee cannot be from the same state. The Dems actually tried to contest Cheney/Bush on this in 2000. Since Clinton was the Senator from NY - there's a non-zero chance they could actually hit her on this.

Holmes

How are McCain's primary prospects? Is he at risk of getting primaries or is he already in GE mode? The only way it could get any better is if McCain bolted ever further to the right.
He's also vulnerable against Kelly Ward in the primary but so far she's weak and has had bad fundraising numbers.

Oltsu

Banned
As a space nerd I want McCain staying exactly where he is.

He's one of the few people giving the finger to the DoD for playing favorites with contractors who are just being cheap and funding Russia since R&D is expensive.

So what is the solution to capital flight ? Which is the bedrock problem of redistributive programs to overcome the problems that free trade drops on the middle and lower classes ? Because the typical solution seems to be the least redistributive place which a) works for one country and b) rather limits the redistributive capability.

I mean I'm not amongst the super wealthy but I can't even talk to a financial advisor without them bringing up tax mitigation strategies (that usually inclide at least one thats legally grayish white).

Edit - On further thought probably not fair really. You just have to offer a business greater net profit than it would get elsewhere after including relocation costs but that's still a race to the bottom, its just a set of bottom points rather than a singular one.

HylianTom

Banned
Obama's decency stands out after watching Trump and Cruz and Rubio 14.0.

Anyway, Mitch McConnell is probably making a huge mistake:

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/...urt-vacancy-could-expand-2016-senate-map.html
Obama's approval rating staying positive as he joins Bill & Hill on the campaign trail, jobs reports continuing to be strong, the divided GOP nominating an electorally poisonous madman, the Senate GOP automatically obstructing any SCOTUS pick..

Talk about the perfect storm! (I hope conditions are this favorable in 8 months.)

thefro

I was going to say the headline is misleading (logs can't definitively prove lack of a breach almost nothing can retroactively) but they addess that in the first paragraph so typical headline I suppose. A good thing though.

People had to know the server even existed to look for it and hack it.

I'm sure whoever targeted it, if at all were basically script kiddies running scans.

billeh

Kirk isn't getting reelected regardless. He didn't win by a lot in 2010 and that was a GOP Wave year.
I don't know too much about Duckworth, but I imagine she's going to roll in off of the Clinton votes.

Kirk was actually a somewhat decent Republican, the party doesn't seem to like him though. Probably since he doesn't tow the line on social issues.

That's fascinating -- I had no idea. What a strange little quirk in the EC.

It was inserted in the Constitution originally to stop any one state from holding both offices and having too much power, which was a real possibility when there was only 13 states.

It was inserted in the Constitution originally to stop any one state from holding both offices and having too much power, which was a real possibility when there was only 13 states.

At the time it wasn't a separate ballot either, each elector got two votes: winner was president , VP was runner up.

Ekai

At the time it wasn't a separate ballot either, each elector got two votes: winner was president , VP was runner up.

I've mentioned this before but that's also precisely what lead to the downfall of The Federalist party. And we're frankly seeing similarities with the Republican party today in regards to the dirtier details. They're tearing themselves apart in similar manners.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom