• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT2| we love the poorly educated

Status
Not open for further replies.
After a nights sleep im starting to think this debate is actually going to HELP trump, as even though fox brought up a lot of good points about how he's not going to be a good presidential candidate the bias in the room was extremely obvious and this was essentially an interview with trump about why he's not going to be a good president, not a debate.

To trump supporters and people pissed off about the establishment, this is exhibit A of them using their money and influence to attempt to sway the american people's opinions away from someone the establishment doesn't like. So essentially regardless of what was discussed the viewers will just continue to vote for trump even more as a middle finger to these people who obviously set all this up, even if Trump kind of really needed to be called out.

Liz Mair ‏@LizMair 13m13 minutes ago
...and his team probably figured that protesters would make an issue of it. Which, having a sense of what it is, would be correct.

There's another reason Trump may be pulling out: There is likely to be a pretty bad story coming about him soon...

FUCK NO

OH NO

DIABLOS TIME

This up there with the "Trump will drop out next week" talk we've heard for months.

Hindl

Speaking of The Onion, never saw this before:

Onion remains incredibly on point

Here's Bernie:
960.jpg

Crocodile

...and his team probably figured that protesters would make an issue of it. Which, having a sense of what it is, would be correct.

There's another reason Trump may be pulling out: There is likely to be a pretty bad story coming about him soon...

FUCK NO

OH NO

DIABLOS TIME

I recognize her from a few guest spots she's had on MSNBC. She's pretty anti-Trump. From reading her timeline, whatever this is seems less like any sort of "scandal" but rather Trump doing or advocating for something decidedly non-conservative. Considering he's been doing that all along (pro PP, shitting on Bush & Iraq, etc.) unless this is like "Trump pays for women to get abortions out of his own pocket" or "Trump calls Obama the best president ever and means it!" tier new story, this seems like a non-issue. I could be wrong though.

Bowdz

Glenn Beck says if he could he would stab Trump to death.

Lmao, WTF? We have a sitting Senator saying that his colleagues could kill another Senator (Lyin Nasty Ted Cruz) on the floor of the Senate and get away with it, and one of the top conservative radio hosts saying he'd stab the leading GOP nominee to death.

HOW IS THIS HAPPENING?!?!?!?

Obama literally broke the GOP.

Good news, everyone hates the Republicans.

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/...urt-vacancy-could-expand-2016-senate-map.html

Statewide approval ratings:

John McCain (AZ) - 26/63
Roy Blunt (MO) - 25/48
Richard Burr (NC) - 28/44

And Chuck Grassley brought down to earth to a 47/44 approval rating.

This Supreme Court thing is really hurting them I think. Fuck it, keep obstructing. Looking forward to having like 57 seats.

Also Obama hit 51 on Gallup today lol.

So basically you have a decently popular incumbent president stepping down over a good economy, the Democratic nominee is relatively nonobjectionable (even if people don't like her that much) whose election would be a milestone for women in America, a complete lunatic at the top of the GOP ballot with the possibility of a brokered convention/party split and the "establishment" Republicans acting like complete shitheads. I don't want to get too ahead of myself but how are Republicans supposed to pull this one off?

My dream scenario is the next president elected is a Democrat, a Democratic Senate (56 seats), and a Democratic House with a slight majority. Scalia's seat is replaced in early part of 2017, and RBG and Breyer step down in the mid and last part of 2017, respectively. The filibuster is nuked, and Democrats go to work on passing legislation. This Congress is even more productive than the 111th, since Democrats know they only have two years to get shit done, and they now know Republicans will never compromise on anything. Also, if legal, they pass laws that force state legislatures to use neutral sources for drawing congressional maps, which would set the stage for 2020. Voting suppression laws are challenged, and overturned by a liberal SCOTUS.

Hopefully at least some of this happens.

Grief.exe

Lmao, WTF? We have a sitting Senator saying that his colleagues could kill another Senator (Lyin Nasty Ted Cruz) on the floor of the Senate and get away with it, and one of the top conservative radio hosts saying he'd stab the leading GOP nominee to death.

Republicans are the party of Lincoln though.

He didn't say his colleagues could kill Cruz he said that if someone was to do it in the Senate chamber, and the Senate was the jury that person would be found Not Guilty (and there was some subtext there about probably "coincidentally" being given the highest honor available to the Senate if I'm not mistaken).

NeoXChaos

My dream scenario is the next president elected is a Democrat, a Democratic Senate (56 seats), and a Democratic House with a slight majority. Scalia's seat is replaced in early part of 2017, and RBG and Breyer step down in the mid and last part of 2017, respectively. The filibuster is nuked, and Democrats go to work on passing legislation. This Congress is even more productive than the 111th, since Democrats know they only have two years to get shit done, and they now know Republicans will never compromise on anything. Also, if legal, they pass laws that force state legislatures to use neutral sources for drawing congressional maps, which would set the stage for 2020. Voting suppression laws are challenged, and overturned by a liberal SCOTUS.

it would be shot down by the courts. The constitution allows states to draw both state and federal district lines HOWEVER you might can argue the court to take away that power from the states on a federal basis.

Overlee

I don't see how the UAW not having a dominant vote is a bad thing for Chrysler or GM. The UAW is ran by people who make Donald Trump look like an honest actor. Union bosses are just about the worst humans on the planet and routinely prey upon their own constituency. /s????

Case in point, the entire problem with the American auto industry stems from the UAW working in collaboration with automotive manufacturers to allow off-shoring of jobs with a caveat that if any U.S. factories closed the car companies had to keep paying the laid off workers 90% of their wages. All that really achieved was the construction of a perfect "union labor is lazy and overpaid" narrative for anti-labor politicians.

Strong unions ran by and for their constituency are a good thing. The United States hasn't had that kind of organized labor environment in over 30 years.

Of course a single person can become corrupt and work against their constituency. That can happen in any industry or company. You can't say you want stronger unions if you're not even willing to give them a chance to be stronger.

The American auto-industry has shown time and time again that they will uproot and leave entire cities and economies decimated if they feel like it. Not to mention short sighted business models that push fuel heavy vehicles that are harmful for the environment.

For all the talk of union bosses being corrupt there is just as much evidence that the boards of American auto companies are just as bad.

The only place where you can own 50% of a company and still have no say in how its governed is here in America. If you can't see that the auto-bailout is just the wealthy protecting the wealthy than somethings wrong. And if you do see it and you're okay with that it's even more wrong.

There's no way we can have stronger unions if we continue to undercut them at every pass.

So, I've got a dumb question. Who are the delegates? Like, delegates decide the nominee at the convention. I know Super delegates are party higher-ups. What about the rest? Like, when Trump gets 50 delegates from South Carolina, who is actually showing up to vote? Is it standard GOP guys who are voting for Trump out of obligation because he won, but otherwise have no loyalty to him? Or does he get to pick and send 50 people who will do whatever he says?

Iolo

Liz mair is my favorite republican but there's nothing coming. She's super anti trump.

http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2015/12/07/anti-trump-effort-launches-super-pac/

A Republican operative who is organizing an effort to torpedo Donald Trump’s presidential campaign says she is starting a super PAC that could collect unlimited funds from individual donors.

Liz Mair, former online communications director for the Republican National Committee, created a limited liability company in October called Trump Card LLC.

Neutral observer

Said by Ezra Klein today on The Weeds podcasts, ""The Clinton Machine is the single most skilled opposition research organization in American politics today."

"They will make Donald Trump wish he had never been born."

Inset *I can only get so hard* gif here.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Said by Ezra Klein today on The Weeds podcasts, ""The Clinton Machine is the single most skilled opposition research organization in American politics today."

Stop, I can only get so erect!

For sure. If Democrats do find themselves with the trifecta again I'd hope the filibuster is the first thing to go.

I mean, I don't necessarily disagree with it in principle, but when one party is firmly committed to abusing the shit out of it and gumming up the works, well... This is why we can't have nice things.

kirblar

FUCK NO

OH NO

DIABLOS TIME
@LizMair 52m52 minutes ago

I'm tremendously glad Trump won't be appearing at CPAC, tho it's funny they'd freak out about people wearing ribbons & planning protests.
Context is fun!

Bobby Jindal Exposes the Secret Behind the Rise of Trump

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/jindal-blames-obama-trump

"Let’s be honest: There would be no Donald Trump, dominating the political scene today if it were not for President Obama."
"After seven years of the cool, weak and endlessly nuanced 'no drama Obama,' voters are looking for a strong leader who speaks in short, declarative sentences," Jindal wrote. "Middle-class incomes are stagnant, and radical Islam is on the march across the Middle East. No wonder voters are responding to someone who promises to make America great again. You can draw a straight line between a president who dismisses domestic terrorist attacks as incidents of workplace violence and a candidate who wants to ban Muslims from entering the country."

it would be shot down by the courts. The constitution allows states to draw both state and federal district lines HOWEVER you might can argue the court to take away that power from the states on a federal basis.

That sucks. I understand the argument that states should draw their own state districts, but drawing congressional districts have an impact on the rest of the nation. There should be stronger regulations around what they can or can not do when it comes to redistricting, like gerrymandering on the basis of race or political affiliation.

Maledict

I honestly cannot get over how utterly insane the republicans are.

Call Trump the reincarnation of Mussolini. Deride him at every opportunity. Say he's nothing to do with your party, that would reduce the country to a laughing stock, that he would bankrupt the nation and lead America to defeat.

But if he wins the primary?

Temple, though, said his rebellion against Trump has a limit. If he's the nominee, he said, he'd vote for the man.
"What choice will we have?" he wondered.

I cannot get over how utterly broken things are, to the point where people will honestly vote R no matter what. Doesn't matter who, it's just about making sure an R beats a D. forget policy, character or anything like that.

I honestly cannot get over how utterly insane the republicans are.

Call Trump the reincarnation of Mussolini. Deride him at every opportunity. Say he's nothing to do with your party, that would reduce the country to a laughing stock, that he would bankrupt the nation and lead America to defeat.

But if he wins the primary?

I cannot get over how utterly broken things are, to the point where people will honestly vote R no matter what. Doesn't matter who, it's just about making sure an R beats a D. forget policy, character or anything like that.

Yep, and when you do this you've lost all leverage in your attacks. He's either the worst option or he's not the worst option, pick one. You can't have one now and one later.

To be honest, there's so much shit flying around about the TPP that I am not ready to comment on it right now. I need to read the whole thing and it's like 30 sections.

I believe that there are some shitty policies in there, but at the same time, like, (to pick one example) it's not our job to use free trade agreements to force labor laws on other countries. This colonial mindset needs to stop. If you want the Philippines to have a high standard of living I would probably start by going back in time and convincing Teddy not to fuck the place up for like 20 years, not by forcing their industries out of business using labor law requirements so that they have to buy their goods from us. So a certain amount of deference to other country's policies is probably inevitable.

I will try to have more topical responses at some point.

and if a country uses slave labour?

I mean, even in terms of free trade agreement, you, as a client, are only saying what you want. It is up to their businesses to adequate themselves to whatever are your demands, should they choose to have access to your market. This can just as easily be argued, when put forth by a specific administration, as the consumers of that nation stating what they want via the government, because democracy ho! Colonialism was...quite a bit more direct with tis interference.

plus would we avoid this postneocolonialism in all fronts, or only when businesses are involved?

CDX

Kos over at dailykos has announced website changes and rules that will start after the 15th for www.dailykos.com

March 15, and Daily Kos transition to General Election footing

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2016/...ly-Kos-transition-to-General-Election-footing

As of today, Hillary Clinton has 596 delegates to Bernie Sanders’ 407 (not including Super Delegates, because fuck them they don’t count). That is a 59.4 to 40.5 percent split. Over the next two weeks, By March 15, nearly half the delegates will have been awarded. By all indications, Clinton will expand that delegate lead.

If she doesn’t, and Bernie Sanders overperforms expectations and the polls, then congrats to him, this primary continues! But if he continues to fall short, the math becomes prohibitive. If your state hasn’t voted, don’t sweat it! You can still vote for whoever you want when it’s your turn. But don’t get upset that your vote doesn’t matter. That’s the way the primary calendar works. Iowa and New Hampshire’s votes matter the most for no rational reason, and everyone else gets to pick among the scraps until the scraps are gone and the math is determinative. It’s a bullshit system, but it’s what we’re stuck with. We can all work to change it next time around.

To reiterate, if Sanders eats into Clinton’s big delegate lead by March 15, then we carry on. But if he doesn’t, then on March 15 this site officially transitions to General Election footing.

[...]

So here’s what happens on March 15:

I will no longer tolerate malicious attacks on our presumptive presidential nominee or our presidential efforts. What does that mean?

• No attacks on Hillary Clinton using right-wing tropes of sources.
  • Constructive criticism from the Left is allowed.
  • Saying you won’t vote, or will vote for Trump, or will vote for Jill Stein (or another Third Party) is not allowed.
  • If you are going to be pessimistic, you better support it.
  • No re-litigating the primary.
  • Battle “the establishment” where it makes sense.

We are really in this together.

thefro

It's really going to be fun once they flip the switch.

They're perfectly capable of going even dirtier than Trump will.

Cerium

Cerium's PredictIt Tips:

After getting burned for the very first time in Colorado on Super Tuesday I'm a little leery of entering the March 5th markets blind (little to no polling). Insiders on Politico seem to favor Trump in every state, but many of these are states where Cruz has the same advantages that put him over the top in Oklahoma.

Kansas is the most interesting market right now where Cruz and Donald are running damn near 50-50. Donald has a 6 point lead in the latest poll released today, but Cruz has been able to swing that kind of margin in the past with his ground game in caucus states. I haven't decided yet if I'm going to get in on that market, or which side I'd pick if I do.

For now I've decided to throw some cash in Idaho Trump shares which are hovering between 30-40 cents. It's relatively low risk, and assuming a good performance tomorrow, those shares have plenty of room to increase in value.

Bowdz

Big Don never pulls out. #NeverTrump

Lmao. I still can't believe Rubio did the whole Big Don moment. You can tell he has second thoughts as he stutters through saying it, but decides he has to finish the statement. It made him sound completely subservient to Trump and subconsciously, played into the whole sexual imagery of the night. To think that this moment is not even being talked about today (nor the infamous booger eating moment or Kasich's "lets put grounds troops in 4 countries in Africa and the Middle East" moment) is simply unbelievable.

Kos over at dailykos has announced website changes and rules that will start after the 15th for www.dailykos.com

Good to hear it. This is the mindset everyone should adopt if they are serious about policy and not just candidate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom