• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT2| we love the poorly educated

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Cruz would be easier. Trump is too scary for me. I don't want him to get a sniff of the White House. I'm definitely one of those people in the Wash Post article that needs to go see a therapist.

Not sure. Cruz is so slimey. I feel like he could fool enough people with his bullshit to win the election.

Grief.exe

I think Cruz would be easier. Trump is too scary for me. I don't want him to get a sniff of the White House. I'm definitely one of those people in the Wash Post article that needs to go see a therapist.

The irony is Cruz is just as dangerous in many regards.

Similar economic plans in around $9 trillion tax cuts to the rich with $2.5 trillion in Military budget increases.
Foreign policy plans that call for ripping up the Iran Nuclear Deal and 'carpet-bombing' the Middle East.
A staunch Climate Change denier and someone who vowed to close Planned Parenthood.

Honestly, Cruz should scare you more than Trump. He also polls better than Hillary frequently in General Election polls, people tend to throw those out this far from the election, but it is still worrying.

CCS

Banned
Cruz doing well? Fine by me, running against Trump or him is like the choice between two bottles of wine and an attractive companion and two bottles of wine, an attractive companion, and also a nice hat.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I think we are actually turning into trump fans.

I guess it's hard for political junkies like us to emotionally dislike the possibility of such a entertaining election cycle, even if intelectually it's clear that Trump is very damaging to the country.

Rubio vs Hillary would be as generic of an election as ever. Cruz vs Hillary would probably be the most annoying election ever, just thanks to how annoying Cruz is.

Trump vs Hillary would be historically entertaining, and it's hard not to want to see it, even though the racial rhetoric really does need to stop as soon as possible.

Honestly, Cruz should scare you more than Trump. He also polls better than Hillary frequently in General Election polls, people tend to throw those out this far from the election, but it is still worrying.

Noooooo. Cruz get in! Cruz polls better against HRC because of all the heat on Trump. He's the Republican Sanders that way. In the general Cruz would have most of Trump's downside (moderates, minorities hate him) without his populist upside. Give me Cruz and his punchable face every day of the week.

Grief.exe

I guess it's hard for political junkies like us to emotionally dislike the possibility of such a entertaining election cycle, even if intelectually it's clear that Trump is very damaging to the country.

Rubio vs Hillary would be as generic of an election as ever. Cruz vs Hillary would probably be the most annoying election ever, just thanks to how annoying Cruz is.

Trump vs Hillary would be historically entertaining, and it's hard not to want to see it, even though the racial rhetoric really does need to stop as soon as possible.

Trump will get destroyed by independents and the Democratic coalition during the General election and will even struggle among the Republican party where large percentages do not support him.
Rubio/Cruz would imply a brokered convention which is going to set off those currently propping up Trump now, likely forcing a large percentage to be permanently disenfranchised. Cruz also struggles with a large portion of the Republican party, but not as large a percentage as Trump.

Either way, November 9th will be an excellent day to tune into Rush Limbaugh.
MZtrYk5.gif

Short of a recession/terrorist attack/Hillary jailed, what's Cruz's path to 270?

He seems the worst possible fit for VA, NH, CO and PA.

Teggy

The irony is Cruz is just as dangerous in many regards.

Similar economic plans in around $9 trillion tax cuts to the rich with $2.5 trillion in Military budget increases.
Foreign policy plans that call for ripping up the Iran Nuclear Deal and 'carpet-bombing' the Middle East.
A staunch Climate Change denier and someone who vowed to close Planned Parenthood.

It's not so much that I am scared of one's policies over the other. I think both are terrible. It's just that Trump has shown the ability to get people to like him for irrational reasons, and that's what really scares me. I think that a Cruz campaign would be much easier to counter.

Cruz is a politician. He's easy to anticipate. You know what he's going to do. Trump is a fucking hurricane blowing through everything. You have no idea what he's going to do, when he's going to do it, or what the result will be.

There was an article a few days ago where the Clinton people said they'd rather go up against Cruz than Trump.

The cpac guy on msnbc is saying Trump refused to attend because a reporter was going to ask him questions after his speech. He got shook by Megyn Kelly Thursday night.

Lets dispel this fiction that Trump should appear on Fox debates to avoid losing.....unless he wants to really lose.

Let's dispel the fiction that debates mean anything at this point in the race. Or that they ever meant anything beyond Rubio's disaster, which only mattered because of how close to NH it was.

Ecotic

I'm happy with Cruz possibly winning the nomination, or I'm happy with Cruz (in a futile effort) dragging the primary out into the early summer and causing Trump to say more and more extreme things to win the primary and not being able to pivot early.

I hope Cruz's plan to attack Rubio to get rid of him in Flordia is actually true. Rubio was really the only scary option in a general against Hillary.

Cruz is far less scary as a nominee. You crazies should be celebrating this!
Its really conflicting for me. I think I change my mind every day on who I want to win

Cruz would be easier in debates because he's not as explosive as Trump and won't crack Monica Lewinsky jokes the whole time like he would either. He's also an ideological candidate and can't moderate on certain issues so it should be easier for Hillary to beat him. It would be way more focused on substance rather than zings, so Hillary would have the advantage

But then Trump lets dems running attach all republicans who they are running against to the KKK in ads and stuff.

I have no idea who I want match up wise

Its really conflicting for me. I think I change my mind every day on who I want to win

Cruz would be easier in debates because he's not as explosive as Trump and won't crack Monica Lewinsky jokes the whole time like he would either. He's also an ideological candidate and can't moderate on certain issues so it should be easier for Hillary to beat him. It would be way more focused on substance rather than zings, so Hillary would have the advantage

But then Trump lets dems running attach all republicans who they are running against to the KKK in ads and stuff.

Winning Kansas by a big margin doesn't mean that Cruz has an actual path to the nomination.

Trump is the general is the easier win for dems. People will actively turn out to vote against him and he won't have much of the backing of the billionaire groups like Koch brothers. Cruz would get the full backing of the rnc and people wouldn't feel the need to actively turn out to keep him out of office.

Iolo

Trump/Cruz unity ticket was suggested earlier.

benjipwns

Banned
I'm happy with Cruz possibly winning the nomination, or I'm happy with Cruz (in a futile effort) dragging the primary out into the early summer
This literally isn't possible. The primaries will be decided by the end of April at the latest.

With Trump having won weeks earlier.

Trump not doing well in closed elections/caucuses, it seems.
The format works against him

I think people are embarrassed to show up and say out loud they would vote for Trump. And are more likely to be swayed or pulled over to another candidate if pushed in a public setting

Trump does better when people can show up, vote and walk out and not have to announce or tell anyone else who they voted for

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom