• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT2| we love the poorly educated

Status
Not open for further replies.

benjipwns

Banned
Justin Trudeau, the new, young prime minister of Canada with movie-star looks, is bringing his star power to the White House.

The tall, dark-haired, 44-year-old scion of one of Canada's most famous politicians was sworn into office in November. Within weeks, President Barack Obama granted Trudeau one of the highest honors the U.S. reserves for close allies: a pomp-filled visit with plenty of time in private talks and in front of cameras with Obama, who remains popular in Canada.

Trudeau, accompanied by his wife, Sophie Gregoire, will be feted Thursday at a sparkly state dinner, the first of Obama's final year in office and the first for Canada since April 1997.
movie star looks

Crocodile

I've never voted in a primary or caucus (that changes later this month) - what exactly is the difference between the two and why do different states opt for one over the other? Caucuses sound like a mess - is there any advantage to doing them?

benjipwns

Banned
Still, I could definitely see it happening if the anti-Trump vote actually manages to coalesce around a single candidate in time.
No one will be coalescing around John Kasich.

I've never voted in a primary or caucus (that changes later this month) - what exactly is the difference between the two and why do different states opt for one over the other? Caucuses sound like a mess - is there any advantage to doing them?
Party control.

I really hope everything going on with the GOP right now is still hurting them in 2024.

On another note, the curse is broken and I can get rid of this gaudy avatar :p

Iolo

i can't believe Cruz is going to be our next president. :/ I think he's my most disliked out of all of them.

If the same logic applied on the Dem side we'd all be saying Bernie is going to win the nomination because he will win KS, NE and ME. There are other states than closed caucus states, and Trump will still have a lead after today.

A primary is just voting. You go in, you punch your card, fill in your bubble or touch the screen. You go when the polls are open and you leave. You can typically vote early or absentee (in some states).

With a caucus, you have to be at the place at a certain time. You typically break into groups based on who you support. Some states do it different. Sometimes there are ballots, but not always. You typically cannot vote early, and you usually have to show up at a specific time. If you work during that time, you're SOL.

OMG. Sexy reporter is going tino the ocean. Ugh.

NeoXChaos

looks like Trump may be 3-1 instead of 2-2

When watching the results from Kansas and Maine, keep in mind that both are closed caucuses. That means you have to be a registered member of the party to participate, while many Trump supporters come from outside the Republican Party. If the early results hold and Trump disappoints in both states, the closed nature of the caucuses could be one reason why. Also, organization matters a lot in caucuses. Cruz is generally regarded as the best organized candidate.

Trouble

Banned
Anyone watching MSNBC right now?

Thomas Roberts really wanted an excuse to go shirtless on TV, didn't he? 1,000 likes on instagram? Set the bar lower next time, lol.

Caucuses sound like a level of hell.

Like going to the DMV but in a group

They're just stupid as hell, especially in modern times. Most people don't give a shit about the party stuff that goes on after the Presidential caucus. Would be better to have a primary and do that stuff at a later time, maybe at the delegate selection whatever.

Anyone watching MSNBC right now?

Thomas Roberts really wanted an excuse to go shirtless on TV, didn't he. 1,000 likes on instagram? Set the bar lower next time, lol.

I got my life. He can go shirtless doing the news any time he wants. My BernieBro who is in Texas working ,texted me and was like "Damn, now I know why you're so obsessed with politics...."

benjipwns

Banned
They're just stupid as hell, especially in modern times. Most people don't give a shit about the party stuff that goes on after the Presidential caucus.
And people wonder why state and local parties are incompetent and run by the same people forever. Like Kim Davis.

Trouble

Banned
I got my life. He can go shirtless doing the news any time he wants. My BernieBro who is in Texas working ,texted me and was like "Damn, now I know why you're so obsessed with politics...."

In fairness, if I had his body I'd go shirtless all the time.

HylianTom

Banned
You need to google him. And take off the safe search filter.
(You're welcome)

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
The thought of having to put up with Cruz dominating news coverage for 6 months as the Republican nominee terrifies me.

He must not be allowed to win the nomination if only for that one reason.

Gruco

Banned
A big night for Cruz would be incredible. Signals more fighting, and Republicans killing one another. And the anti-Trump rallying point becomes someone who 1) can't get a majority, 2) who would actually an easier candidate than Trump. Trump gets super pissed and even more vindictive. Everyone (Queen Hillary, Senate Democrats) wins.

Are you guys wanting Trump to win simply because you have money on the line?

I want Trump to win because its an easy win for Dems in the fall. Plus, people tend to check the box to vote the same down ticket so Dems would get control of the Senate too.

NeoXChaos

Florida is closed.

When watching the results from Kansas and Maine, keep in mind that both are closed caucuses. That means you have to be a registered member of the party to participate, while many Trump supporters come from outside the Republican Party. If the early results hold and Trump disappoints in both states, the closed nature of the caucuses could be one reason why. Also, organization matters a lot in caucuses. Cruz is generally regarded as the best organized candidate.

And to follow up on Harry’s point, the only primary today, Louisiana, is closed. To date, there’s been only one other closed primary, Oklahoma, and it went for Cruz, defying polling that had shown Trump with a lead there. There are many important closed primaries down the road, however, including Arizona, California, Florida, New York and Pennsylvania.

Teggy

I want Trump to win because its an easy win for Dems in the fall. Plus, people tend to check the box to vote the same down ticket so Dems would get control of the Senate too.

I think Cruz would be easier. Trump is too scary for me. I don't want him to get a sniff of the White House. I'm definitely one of those people in the Wash Post article that needs to go see a therapist.

benjipwns

Banned
Think about this fellas, a President Trump is going to spend part of his first term fighting with a Republican Congress that is the establishment personified.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom