• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT2| we love the poorly educated

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's almost impossible to watch for anyone who follows politics. The familiarity of DC and the pretense of politics combined with the laziness and stupidity of how they portray political situations...it just doesn't work.

I'm pretty sure the Democratic president would allow a several month teachers strike to go on just so he could sign a charter school and teacher evaluation bill.

I mean, it wouldn't be a bad bill, but that's all of his political capital on a bill that six people would view positively.

Oh come on. House of Cards is great fun. Yes, the politics are cartoonish and exaggerated, but that is just window dressing for the dramatic themes and engaging characters.

Think of it like The Godfather series. That was a highly dramatized mafia story, but at the end of the day the mafia backdrop was just a vehicle to tell a story about family and power. The fact that it was exaggerated and not 100% realistic did not detract from the drama.

Another example is pretty much any legal drama ever made. I'm a lawyer but I can put aside the inaccuracies if a good story is being told.

In other words, <3 HoC.

Gruco

Banned
I'm pretty sure the Democratic president would allow a several month teachers strike to go on just so he could sign a charter school and teacher evaluation bill.

I mean, it wouldn't be a bad bill, but that's all of his political capital on a bill that six people would view positively.
National teacher's strike. Because that's a thing.

Also, I know I'm late on these, but damn, LOL -
The cruz version is legit great
cruz.jpg
wish most political comics were half as good as this, but NO, LABELS FOR EVERYTHING.

I'm not sure Bernie's campaign knows how this works, even though Devine was the delegate guy for ... someone. Dukkakis? Someone
Thomas A. "Tad" Devine (born June 11, 1955)[1] is an American political consultant. Devine was a senior adviser in Al Gore's 2000 and John Kerry's 2004 Presidential campaigns.[2] He currently is a senior adviser for Bernie Sanders' 2016 presidential campaign.[3] He has worked on ten winning campaigns for President and Prime Minister around the world and 17 winning U.S. Senate races.
his track record outside the US is kinda decent, actually. No idea what would compel a foreign presidential candidate to hire an american consultant, tho, given this here internet age and the discrepancies between electorates. Milliband's campaign comes to mind.

It's almost impossible to watch for anyone who follows politics. The familiarity of DC and the pretense of politics combined with the laziness and stupidity of how they portray political situations...it just doesn't work.
Rule of thumb that any teevee drama focussed on a profession will be hard to watch for people from that trade, as far as trade stuff is concerned. Law and cop shows are particularly grotesque at this.

Just leaving this diiv concert. LAWD.

What did I miss. Should I be shook

Cruz took literally all of Rubio's support.

It went like:

Trump: 40
Cruz: 40
Kasich: 10
Rubio: Crying in the car

So now it's a race between Trump and Cruz and Rubio will be selling reverse mortgages in three years.

Just leaving this diiv concert. LAWD.

What did I miss. Should I be shook
Rubio collapsed and his voters went to Cruz. Nate Silver pulled a Karl Rove 2012 with regards to Louisiana being called for Trump. Cruz cleaned up in the rural caucus states and was close in Kentucky and Louisiana.

PBY

Banned
Cruz took literally all of Rubio's support.

It went like:

Trump: 40
Cruz: 40
Kasich: 10
Rubio: Crying in the car

So now it's a race between Trump and Cruz and Rubio will be selling reverse mortgages in three years.
Damn.
So Rubio actually didn't help himself with the dick size and spray tan jokes???

I can't believe the GOP has to choose bw Cruz and Trump now.

I really want to see what happens to operation brokered convention now that it's clear that Cruz is the strong number two in delegates. Do officials start backing Cruz, do they lay off Trump? Do they throw a hail mary and back Kasich?

Wait what happened w Nate and LA?

He claimed the networks were wrong to call it for Trump and then talked a whole bunch about how Trump's lead was shrinking despite it remaining pretty firm at 10-11k votes. He ended up winning the state by a larger margin than in Kentucky.

Wait what happened w Nate and LA?

Everyone called it super early and there were no exit polls. Cruz got within a few percentage points of Trump as it was being counted. Nate said they should retract the call. They didn't.

From what I understand, Cruz won today's votes in LA, right?

Lothar

Banned
CNN's Kate Bolduan wants to know what does it mean if she has big hands. That was her first question to someone.

A hour earlier there was a "Are you saying Size Matters?" joke.

Trump has been great for politics.

royalan

Guy on CNN right now has been nailing what I've been thinking about Trump and what the GOP has not been doing: "Undercut Trump's brand."

I totally see why Rubio felt the need to go nuclear on Trump; what I don't understand is why he went the route of out-crassing him, when there are so many substantive issues he could have nailed him on.

The main thing Trump supporters say about him as a positive other than "he tells it like it is," is "he's a successful businessman," and yet nobody has really taken him to task for hi failures other than Megyn Kelly. Donald Trump has failed in business countless times. HIs stink is all over the now-doomed Atlantic City. And it's the line of attack that rattles him the most (outside of his hands).

"Trump is actually a failure whose only accomplishment is saving his own ass at the cost of countless American jobs due to his bad investments," would be a really effective attack. But nobody seems to want to go there.

Guy on CNN right now has been nailing what I've been thinking about Trump and what the GOP has not been doing: "Undercut Trump's brand."

I totally see why Rubio felt the need to go nuclear on Trump; what I don't understand is why he went the route of out-crassing him, when there are so many substantive issues he could have nailed him on.

The main thing Trump supporters say about him as a positive other than "he tells it like it is," is "he's a successful businessman," and yet nobody has really taken him to task for hi failures other than Megyn Kelly. Donald Trump has failed in business countless times. HIs stink is all over the now-doomed Atlantic City. And it's the line of attack that rattles him the most (outside of his hands).

"Trump is actually a failure whose only accomplishment is saving his own ass at the cost of countless American jobs due to his bad investments," would be a really effective attack. But nobody seems to want to go there.

They learned nothing from Mitt Romney.

Cruz should probably attack him this way instead of still attacking him from the right over and over again.

If Cruz tries one more time to take Trump to task for not letting white people die in the streets or for Trump liking his sister...

"I'm not going to let people die on the streets. Sorry, I can't let it happen."

Rubio: "Is this the Republican party?" *grins*

IF THAT'S THE REPUBLICAN PARTY, THE REPUBLICAN PARTY IS FUCKING TRASH

What kind of sick universe do you live in where you think broadcasting "Yes it is definitely okay for people to die on the street" is a positive representation of you or your party?

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
It amazes me there are gay men who like Trump.

This American Life did an expose on a young, black, gay, Trump supporter.

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/580/thats-one-way-to-do-it

It's just one guy who is maybe oversimplified by the interviewer's psychoanalysis, but it's still enlightening.

The two conclusions are that if you're conservative in every way but for being gay, Trump is your best bet. And that even young black gay men can be attracted to authoritarianism for their own reasons.

From what I understand, Cruz won today's votes in LA, right?
Trump won early vote 22594 to 11104. Election Day vote went to Cruz 102829 to 102205. So he just barely won the election day vote. It looked closer than it really was because western LA parishes near the Texas border came in early.

Is there any chance Cruz wind FL?

Like is Rubio just fucked now?

Early voting pretty much guarantees a Trump victory unless Rubio collapse doesn't continue into Florida. Rubio's the only person who can take the state from Trump.

Ohio/Missouri/Illinois are the questions for March 15th now.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Sanders is sounding borderline jealous of Clinton in his stump speech re: her paid speeches.

People always forget that the Bank speeches made up a very small part of her overal speech earnings:

cnn said:
In total, the two gave 729 speeches from February 2001 until May, receiving an average payday of $210,795 for each address. The two also reported at least $7.7 million for at least 39 speeches to big banks, including Goldman Sachs and UBS, with Hillary Clinton, the Democratic 2016 front-runner, collecting at least $1.8 million for at least eight speeches to big banks.

I'm sure deep down Sanders wishes he could command that much of a speaking fee.

That would fail.

Additionally, good luck trying to attack a guy like him for being a failure when he can, quite literally, calmly state that he's such a failure he could buy you and everybody in the room ten times over.

For any other politician? Such a line would be a display of arrogance. For trump hitting back against those asshats in the stage? It would work wonders.

Any line on jobs would fail for the same reason: trump most likely has far more employees than any of them. They built the job creator slogan and taught voters to cherish them. Well, that blonde fucker? He's one of them.

royalan

Sanders is sounding borderline jealous of Clinton in his stump speech re: her paid speeches.

I bet he is.

The Queen collects coins just so people can stand close enough to her to smell her perfume. You want to hear her speak? You better break out those checkbooks, boys. Yaasss.

Don't worry tho. Sanders will command a nice speaking fee in a few months.

Teggy

I think the attack line on business is that the president doesn't get to declare bankruptcy and start over. You get one chance and you have to make it right.

I mean, that's not it exactly but something with that theme.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I bet he is.

The Queen collects coins just so people can stand close enough to her to smell her perform. You want to hear her speak? You better break out those checkbooks, boys. Yaasss.

Don't worry tho. Sanders will command a nice speaking fee in a few months.

You know, that's true. I just never thought of it until you mentioned it.

He is now the guy that took on the Clinton machine and actually put up a fight. And pushed a message that most would have thought crazy 10 years ago.

You know, that's true. I just never thought of it until you mentioned it.

That's because it's a silly notion. What would Sanders really speak about that places like Goldman Sachs would want to hear about? Hillary at least had the benefit of being near a very business-friendly presidency as well as years in the Senate. Sanders probably wouldn't get a bank to bring him in just so he could yell at them for being greedy sons of bitches. He almost always declines to accept payment for speaking as is--I remember hearing he accepted a DVD-copy of The Dark Knight as payment from a University, and at times when they insist on paying him he always has the payment made to a Charity.

CNN's Kate Bolduan wants to know what does it mean if she has big hands. That was her first question to someone.

A hour earlier there was a "Are you saying Size Matters?" joke.

Trump has been great for politics.
Kate Bolduan is great brah. She handles every subject with levity, grace, and a hint of virtuous charm.

royalan

That would fail.

Additionally, good luck trying to attack a guy like him for being a failure when he can, quite literally, calmly state that he's such a failure he could buy you and everybody in the room ten times over.

"Prove it. Release your tax records." Is all it would take to counter that. Cruz has dipped his toes in here in just the last debate, and it legit had Trump shook. Cruz just didn't jump all the way in.

Obviously, Trump isn't a complete business failure. His name is on some pretty big ass buildings for a reason. But he DOES have some pretty major business failings under his belt that a smart candidate could drag out with as much ferocity as they handle Hillary's emails. Hell, it doesn't take much creativity to tie Trump to failing Atlantic City, and that alone is countless jobs lost. Pull out the 4 bankruptcies and don't just mention them, DRAG HIM on how most of them came about by Trump jumping out of bad investments just in time to save himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom