• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT4| Tyler New Chief Exit Pollster at CNN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also there is no way the super delegates would switch from her to support Sanders. He can talk about that as much as he wants but it's not going to happen. It's tossing out a false hope to Sanders supporters that are going to be very angry when it doesn't happen.

One thing his campaign/supporters were right about at the beginning of this primary season was that the superdelegates would not be able to get away with handing the nomination to Clinton without angering a bunch of voters if Sanders won pledged delegate race. Why anyone would think they'd hand the nomination to Sanders over Clinton, whom the vast majority of them prefer, after she wins the pledged delegates is beyond me. I have to assume his campaign knows this as well but wants to keep up the facade for fear of losing support.

Drek

For sure. In a lot of ways I'd say Hillary was worse in 08 than anything we're seeing here.

Not even close. Some of her supporters were disgusting to be sure but the actual campaign was focused on policy and both candidates had a firm footing in reality, sticking to the core of the party platform. Sanders is gradually running more and more negative while running away from key party platform issues that will result in long term residual damage to the national discourse of politics in this country.

He literally makes people stupid. They listen to him and really think Dodd-Frank does nothing, that issues with campaign finance stem from Wall Street, that employers would turn the savings realized from federal healthcare over to employees (while paying an additional tax themselves), that all issues are economic issues, etc. etc.. He is creating a segment within the youth of America with strong conviction but depressingly little understanding. The end result is the cultivation of extremist low information ideology exemplified by the current groundswell taking over the GOP.

NeoXChaos

“[If] Bernie Sanders is the nominee, he will get the over, over, overwhelming support of Democrats in this race. The question is who can capture and mobilize young people and independents in this race to bring them out and to have them vote in the general election so that we can elect not just Bernie Sanders but Democrats up and down the ballot,” Weaver said. “Hillary Clinton is not gonna do that. All these young people who are coming out for Bernie Sanders, are they gonna come out for Hillary Clinton? I’m not so confident about that given how many times she’s dissed them recently.”

Read more: http://www.politico.com/blogs/2016-...ers-contested-convention-221571#ixzz44y8mVspU

We're headed to Philly to take it from her.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
Not even close. Some of her supporters were disgusting to be sure but the actual campaign was focused on policy and both candidates had a firm footing in reality, sticking to the core of the party platform. Sanders is gradually running more and more negative while running away from key party platform issues that will result in long term residual damage to the national discourse of politics in this country.

He literally makes people stupid. They listen to him and really think Dodd-Frank does nothing, that issues with campaign finance stem from Wall Street, that employers would turn the savings realized from federal healthcare over to employees (while paying an additional tax themselves), that all issues are economic issues, etc. etc.. He is creating a segment within the youth of America with strong conviction but depressingly little understanding. The end result is the cultivation of extremist low information ideology exemplified by the current groundswell taking over the GOP.

For some reason I thought her campaign was actually running with the Jeremiah Wright stuff at one point. Maybe it was just Bill, and maybe I'm just completely and totally misremembering it, which is likely considering I barely remember last week, let alone 8 years ago.

The Sanders campaign talking about electing Democrats up and down the ballot when he's done basically nothing for downballot Democrats in his entire career while Clinton has consistently put in time, effort, and money throughout her career is just astounding.

I'd also love to see a Sanders path to a pledged delegate majority that doesn't involve winning New York.

You guys are basically seeing how annoying the Clinton campaign was in 08

I'd argue Sanders' campaign hasn't done anything as disrespectful or ugly as some of the Clinton camp's spring 08 antics. So it's somewhat entertaining to watch Clinton supporters hand wring over a non-factor. I'm baffled why they are even responding to his campaign at this point. It's over.

Drumpf leads Clinton in Mississippi in the General Election by only 3 points

It's 46-43 Drumpf-Clinton. Seriously doubt Clinton would target Mississippi but it being in low single digits, and Missouri being a small Clinton win like that other poll suggested would be a big shift.

I'm telling y'all, MS has the highest percentage of AAs in the country. It's a rough state for Dems only because of the overwhelming white vote (like 90-10 GOP). Someone like Trump, who depresses turnout on their side because of his immoral campaign, and he's toast. All it takes is a good sexist comment from him, and women in MS will stay home for sure. Angry white men won't, but just a little depressed turnout is all it takes.

MS has a low ceiling for Dems, but a huge floor.

User 406

Banned
In 2016, Republicans fall in love, and Democrats get in bread lines!

12229-2[1].jpg

So Bernie apparently won Guam, since Oklahoma is the only state that's pure Guam.

thefro

damn, Obama is going full populist at this press conference at the White House about corporate inversions. Great to see.

The Sanders campaign talking about electing Democrats up and down the ballot when he's done basically nothing for downballot Democrats in his entire career while Clinton has consistently put in time, effort, and money throughout her career is just astounding.

I'd also love to see a Sanders path to a pledged delegate majority that doesn't involve winning New York.
If Sanders loses NY and CA and still insists on going to the convention I'm going to be a little irritated.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
It's ok. No one will really be covering him or anything. Hillary will go away as she harvests souls for the general.

If he keeps hitting her on negative stuff then I think he will be punished.

For some reason I thought her campaign was actually running with the Jeremiah Wright stuff at one point. Maybe it was just Bill, and maybe I'm just completely and totally misremembering it, which is likely considering I barely remember last week, let alone 8 years ago.

The worst came from supporters not officially attached to the campaign. But certainly some ugly stuff, often in the form of innuendo, did come from the campaign itself. Mark Penn in particular was a big advocate of emphasizing Obama's "lack of American roots."

By the end of the 2008 primary I was quite angry at her. That she and Obama wound up establishing such a good relationship went a long way towards me forgiving her. It also helps that Penn is nowhere near her campaign this time around.

Clinton ran for universal healthcare in 2008, which has now magically become "unrealistic", I guess?. Sanders is sticking to the core of the Democratic Party, the core they lost after getting scared of Reagan.

You probably werent engaged enough during 2008. There wont be PUMAs this time around, at least. Or Democrats for Trump.

I'd argue Sanders' campaign hasn't done anything as disrespectful or ugly as some of the Clinton camp's spring 08 antics. So it's somewhat entertaining to watch Clinton supporters hand wring over a non-factor. I'm baffled why they are even responding to his campaign at this point. It's over.

Its quite the charming spectacle, really.

NeoXChaos

I'm telling y'all, MS has the highest percentage of AAs in the country. It's a rough state for Dems only because of the overwhelming white vote (like 90-10 GOP). Someone like Trump, who depresses turnout on their side because of his immoral campaign, and he's toast. All it takes is a good sexist comment from him, and women in MS will stay home for sure. Angry white men won't, but just a little depressed turnout is all it takes.

MS has a low ceiling for Dems, but a huge floor.

If she won MS and that is a big if its would look something like C 46 Trump 41 Other 13. SC would be similar to MS high floor low ceiling. AL and LA is a much lower floor and ceiling.

Holmes

Clinton never said universal health care was unrealistic. She said Sanders' "Medicare for all" plan is unrealistic. Sanders doesn't have the monopoly on universal health care, or college tuition, or any of his other little pet projects that he doesn't seem to have much knowledge on.

Clinton ran for universal healthcare in 2008, which has now magically become "unrealistic", I guess?. Sanders is sticking to the core of the Democratic Party, the core they lost after getting scared of Reagan.
We passed universal care. SCOTUS took it away and it's not the same as single payer

You probably werent engaged enough during 2008. There wont be PUMAs this time around, at least. Or Democrats for Trump.

Its quite the charming spectacle, really.
UHC is much broader than single payer.

Obama calls Obamacare universal healthcare.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I thought Hillary was for dying in the streets because she was paid for by the street cleaners lobby

hawk2025

Some of the defending responsesresponses to the interview seem to run through Sanders resorting to the economic experts to figure out this stuff.

You know, the same people he dismissed as "establishment" a few months ago.

NeoXChaos

Also that same poll has Cruz up by 11 over Clinton, which was Obama's margin in MS in 2012.

JBE won 90-10 blacks but got 35-65 in whites which is enough of a share to win statewide here and anywhere in the South to be honest.

There's a concept called elasticity whose purpose is to measure this. In 2012, Nate Silver calculated that Mississippi was least elastic state in the entire country, i.e., state whose vote is hardest to swing.

fivethirtyeight-0521-elastic3-blog48011.png

We passed universal care. SCOTUS took it away and it's not the same as single payer

She wasnt cold for single payer at some point during late 2007. She later retracted (shocking), though.

Some of the defending responsesresponses to the interview seem to run through Sanders resorting to the economic experts to figure out this stuff.

You know, the same people he dismissed as "establishment" a few months ago.

Economics is a broad field with different, antagonistic theories. You can totally call out as "establishment" those who are running the current consensus.

Yep, it creates deceptive headlines too. "Clinton says universal health care will never happen." when all she said was that Bernie's plan isn't happening.

She wasnt cold for single payer at some point during late 2007. She later retracted (shocking), though.

Economics is a broad field with different, antagonistic theories. You can totally call out as "establishment" those who are running the current consensus.

Single payer is an absolutely terrible idea to try to implement in the US. It's an example of how he has tried to make anything else but his way non-progressive. Single payer is not the only way to UHC and it's not even the option that makes sense here. But I'm against it so I'm not progressive!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom