• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT4| Tyler New Chief Exit Pollster at CNN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nate Cohn, Dave and Wang are the only one worth listening to. They spout numbers and objective opinions without punditry. Nate Silver on the other hand needs to go back to numbers and data. Stay away from the punditry.

Have you read nates book? Its super good but he's become what he decried in his book. Its quite sad

So what happens if he gets to 16%?

He hits one state. Now he has to repeat the same in every single one going forward without missing it once.

He did a good job, but Sanders supporters really have to understand looking forward how hard it will be for him to even come within a 100 delegates of Clinton.

I mean, that is why there are all these Sander campaign surrogates talking "open convention" and "convince super delegates to vote for us over Clinton" talk. A 180 from what, a month ago?

He hits one state. Now he has to repeat the same in every single one going forward without missing it once.

He did a good job, but Sanders supporters really have to understand looking forward how hard it will be for him to even come within a 100 delegates of Clinton.

I mean, that is why there are all these Sander campaign surrogates talking "open convention" and "convince super delegates to vote for us over Clinton" talk. A 180 from what, a month ago?

Is an empty argument, really. Supers wont ditch Clinton in the proportions Sanders needs even if he wins by 1 delegate. He needed to win commandingly.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
So what happens if he gets to 16%?

It means Clinton's still going to win, but that Clinton is a super weak candidate and would be in trouble if the GOP wasn't trotting out their Washington Generals this election?

Bernie says we'll pass gay marriage in all 50 states in this country.

Which. Like.
Should we tell him?

I have no idea if his comment had this much nuance in it - but you all do realize that passing gay marriage as legislative acts in this country in each state would be significantly better than Obergefell, right? SCOTUS rulings that functionally pass laws are baaasically the worst case scenario in a given situation when you actually sit down and do the analysis for the way this country reacts.

ivysaur12

Banned
It means Clinton's still going to win, but that Clinton is a super weak candidate and would be in trouble if the GOP wasn't trotting out their Washington Generals this election?

I have no idea if his comment had this much nuance in it - but you all do realize that passing gay marriage as legislative acts in this country in each state would be significantly better than Obergefell, right? SCOTUS rulings that functionally pass laws are baaasically the worst case scenario in a given situation when you actually sit down and do the analysis for the way this country reacts.

His comment wasn't about this, and I also think for gay marriage, none of the process actually mattered past 2013.

I still don't get how the supporters expect the superdelegates to vote for him. He has not been making friends with the DNC. They aren't going to switch their votes just because you asked.

NeoXChaos

Are we judging how weak or strong Hillary is in relation to her primary results or general election?

Mondale had a fight on his hands against Hart ultimately prevailing and lost. Dukakis had a protracted primary was a terrible general election candidate and lost. Bill faced a protracted primary but won convincingly in the primary and general. Gore dispacted Bradley quickly winning all states but was defeated and considered weak. Kerry dispatched Dean easily and still lost. Weak as well? Obama and Hillary fought a nail-biter and either one could have won in the fall.

I think she is atleast 3rd to her husband and Obama.

I'm so fucking mad about Bradley. FUCK. What is the point of your fucking revolution if you don't vote in the fucking downticket elections you fucks.

If there's a political revolution we need in this country it's for the left to understand that state level races matter. A lot. But instead we get "let's pretend that the right president can get us everything!"

Suite Pee

Willing to learn
Most of us Bernie voters will vote for Clinton no matter what we say.

I speak for the monolith.

I wonder if Bradley's win has something to do with the lack of a political party next to their names.

Hillary is probably wondering when Obama will start campaigning for her. She needs it. And the irony will be, any gained popularity in her numbers will be attributed to the President and not her.

royalan

I'm flabbergasted that someone who worked on Obama's 08 campaign could say that Bernie's win here means that Hillary's a weak candidate. That makes no sense on any level.

T'Zariah

Banned

A weak candidate?

What?

Obama, the most gifted politician of the last generation, had to fight tooth and nail to defeat her. She's only playing nice to Sanders, because she's going to win, anyhow.

She's going to fucking destroy whoever the GOP nominates.

Bowdz

Lmao, John King has Weaver on and is just humiliating him by proving how full of shit he is with Sanders' chances. Slow train wreck.

TyrantII

I still don't get how the supporters expect the superdelegates to vote for him. He has not been making friends with the DNC. They aren't going to switch their votes just because you asked.

It's not even that. In the modern era they're there to ratify the candidate with the most pledged delegates. If Clinton doesn't make the 50%+1, they will still flock to her and anoite the voters choice. That's their modern job.

Bernie can win them over, but only by getting more pledged delegates than Clinton. Any other scenario is a non-starter.

"Just last week we were down 5 or 6 points in Wisconsin"?

What???!?! Does this man actually think this? That this win is "larger than anyone expected"? Seriously?

NeoXChaos

Geoffrey Skelley ‏@geoffreyvs 5m5 minutes ago Virginia, USA
.@Taniel I just got Trump to 1237 via 86/95 in NY & 37 CDs in CA. But winning MT, NE, and/or SD would help him a lot.

Follow him too. He's good too.

ivysaur12

Banned
It is. The closest poll had him at +8. He is probably winning by 15.

That's different than him being down by a certain amount. That just means he wasn't as high as his numbers are now.

Still so happy 15% of those Bernie voters voted for Bradley!

It is. The closest poll had him at +8. He is probably winning by 15.
I couldn't care less what some last polls averaged at. Top-tier Sanders people were looking for a 20+ point blowout. If you were to copy-paste Wisconsin's demographics into Sanders' caucus performance, you'd be expecting a 30-40 point blowout. To claim that this is some massive and astonishing accomplishment is extremely disingenuous. "Yay, we kept pace to within 1-2 delegates!" is not a momentous event to brag about. I don't care if they is paid campaign staff. His brain needs to exist in reality. If he's representative of what Sanders hears from advisors on a day to day basis, his team is incompetent.

And I'll beat up any Sanders voter who went for Bradley. We need to have a discussion on how politics work and why it's important.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
I'm flabbergasted that someone who worked on Obama's 08 campaign could say that Bernie's win here means that Hillary's a weak candidate. That makes no sense on any level.

I think in general, the idea is that if Hilary was as strong as everyone says she was, this would be over by now. They said it be over by January, and it's not, and they said March and it's not. She's having a lot more trouble with a man everyone keeps saying has no chance, than anyone would have thought four or five months ago(when they were saying he'd be done by January)

That's different than him being down by a certain amount. That just means he wasn't as high as his numbers are now.

hey ivy

got somethin to show ya

lSJRg9S.png

Azzanadra

If the minimum voting age was 21, this would be over by now.

I am of the opinion it should be lower, if anything. I feel like age really makes one more cynical and jaded and takes away that idealism that actually allows things to happen. If the minimum age was 21 to vote here in Canada, Stephen Harper would have won a lot more seats, maybe even forcing a minority government.

royalan

hows it looking for Queen in Philly? You and Diablos have work to do. Bring as many old and black people to the polls as possible.

It feels good. I live in South Philly (so not close to the college campuses in this city), but even considering that I'm not seeing nearly as many Sanders posters as I did Obama posters in 08. God, my neighborhood was flooded with the damn things.

My boss and I are firmly in Hillary's camp. 3 of my coworkers are voting for Bernie...well 1. 2 didn't remember to to register before the Monday deadline even though I reminded them the Friday before. Sad!

Feel like most of the gays out here are voting for Hillary, too.

NeoXChaos

Kol Yisrael
‏@KolYisrael
@kkondik But same story as the past 5 statewide elections. Walker x3, Prosser, and Bradley.

Kyle Kondik ‏@kkondik 2m2 minutes ago
Kyle Kondik Retweeted Kol Yisrael
Right. R voters have just turned out better in the non-prez elections, very similar to rest of country

Michael Low ‏@mlow29 6m6 minutes ago
@kkondik Democrats can't just wait for every fourth November.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
I don't actually think so. Huckster's just weird.

Yeah but it brings the question of if Bernie is bringing in more youthful votes, is that a good thing? Or if because all us young people are crazy liberals that don't vote with our heads, we are effectively the same as the staunch 60's era conservatives that vote based on old religious morals.

This makes me happy.

I hope it drives more voting.

And that 8% was itself an outlier. The polling average had Bernie leading by 3%. He is doing five times that.

It shouldnt have happened. Reddit should be worried about it but idk what they are thinking. The fixation with the executive branch is baffling. I blame MTV.

Democracy, though.

Yeah but it brings the question of if Bernie is bringing in more youthful votes, is that a good thing? Or if because all us young people are crazy liberals that don't vote with our heads, we are effectively the same as the staunch 60's era conservatives that vote based on old religious morals.

The only problem I have with young people voting is that they're not reliable voters, which hurts midterms big times. I don't blame the young people necessarily but politics is for the most part fucking boring and the trends show young people are less likely to vote if they're not "inspired".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom