• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT4| Tyler New Chief Exit Pollster at CNN

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawk2025

Daniel B·;200510140 said:

Thank you for exemplifying the utter bullshit I had just talked about with your shitty kitchen knife example.

I suggest using financial institutions and mortgage-backed securities instead next time. It's more topical.

my fever induced nightmare was that condi rice got drafted at the convention and she beat clinton. ive never wanted to wake up so badly before

kmag

Good to see Kyle, the forthright, young host of the Secular Talk YT channel (308K subs, 158M video views), is knocking down Hillary camp's BS talking points, with gusto:

Hillary Invokes The Sandy Hook Mass Shooting To Attack Bernie

As Kyle was saying, if your stance is that you should be able to sue gun manufacturers and dealers, for selling a legal product, what you are effectively doing is arguing for an outright ban on gun sales in America, which is a perfectly reasonable position, even if totally "pie in the sky" (outlaw hunting, home protection, in the U.S of A? Good luck with that!), and it should be stated as such, and not used indirectly as squalid line of attack, involving the grieving victims of Sandy Hook, against Bernie's perfectly reasonable position on the issue.

Here's what I had to say on the subject; an unused section of my un-published flyer (in hind-site, the flyer would have been over doing it, and our volunteer office was already doing enough to win our town / county, in Virginia):

Hillary Clinton Has A New Anti-Bernie Attack Ad

Yeah, running an ad that defends the big banks is a great move. The Hillary camp must know when their BS has exceeded capacity, when even the New York Times comes out in Bernie's defense, and it turns out Bernie even introduced a bill on the very subject: Yes, Bernie Sanders Knows Something About Breaking Up Banks

Er you do realize Sanders wanted to repeal the law back in January after meeting with the boy in the case I mentioned in my previous post he seems to have moved away from that position now if his NYDN interview was anything to go by.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/bernie-sanders-guns_us_56aa5716e4b001648922a308

http://www.robertabelllaw.com/libra...itigation_Spurred_Auto_Safety_Innovations.pdf does a good job of clearly breaking down the safety features which where sued into common usage.

An example of a case which PLCAA stopped was Adames v. Sheehan where an 11 year old boy shot his 9 year old cousin with a Beretta which had the magazine removed (the boy thinking it was safe didn't realise there was a chambered round). Now taking aside the notion of letting an 11 year old playing with a gun, is there any reason good reason that a non military, non law enforcement gun should be able fire with the magazine removed? It would seem to be common sense safety feature to prevent accidental discharge just as airbags or anti roll chassis are a common sense precaution in a car. Car manufacturers were sued into adopting those sort of features, gun manufacturers won't be.

PLCAA offers 6 exemptions allowing gun manufacturers to be sued.

Even a direct design defect can not meet this criteria if the result can be reasonably forseen.

Thank you for this. I was curious if the changes were due to driver negligence or manufacturer faults or a combination of both.

What safety features are guns lacking? They have safeties built into them and already have limits on their functionality. I'm just wondering what holding the manufacturers liable for illegal activity committed accomplishes other than in a very roundabout way slowly shutting them down--or at least trying to. If someone drives their Chevy Silvarado at 100mph into a playground we don't talk about holding Chevy accountable.

See kmags post just about yours. In addition to his post, they would be more willing to accept legislation that restricts use. Like closing gun show loops holes and requiring mental health screening.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Interesting new article by wasserman on 538!!!

The idea that super delegates are going to vote by who had more popular votes... is sketchy given that 2008 happened.

There are going to be some super delegates who will look at whoever is winning recently discounting the older results... for various reasons and there will be plenty who will tell Bernie to go to hell because he's not a Democrat and hes looking at party elites for support.

ampere

If you don't believe corporations should be liable for crimes committed using their products (which is an interesting position to take, by the way, when considering the possibility of prosecuting large parts of the financial sector: Should financial institutions be liable for packaging mortgages and products in extremely obtuse and misleading ways, if it was the ratings agencies that fucked up how to sell and qualify the product itself?), then that is certainly a position I can understand.

But it means we should push for a law that make this the case for all of them, and not just guns.

That guns should deserve special protection by the very nature of the product being an explicit killing machine is frankly a preposterous notion.

I'd like to see one person resolve the dissonance between having this position for guns but not banks.

I'm in agreement with you here. Stricter rules and regulations are needed for sure, and those probably won't happen without lawsuits and legal precedents set by them

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
The idea that super delegates are going to vote by who had more popular votes... is sketchy given that 2008 happened.

There are going to be some super delegates who will look at whoever is winning recently discounting the older results... for various reasons and there will be plenty who will tell Bernie to go to hell because he's not a Democrat and hes looking at party elites for support.
Wat

He's saying Bernie is not going to flip super delegates based on pop vote and that Bernie is going to lose pop vote anyway

Fuck caucuses

studyguy

Interesting new article by wasserman on 538!!!

The breakdown provided:

Will of the people*
fHwrdLO.jpg
*Not really though if we go by raw votes, but you know...

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Wat

He's saying Bernie is not going to flip super delegates based on pop vote and that Bernie is going to lose pop vote anyway

Fuck caucuses

If Bernie somehow wins NY and then wins California by the huge margin he needed, Superdelegates aren't going to look at the total popular vote, they're going to buy into "momentum" - that Hillary's best days are behind her and Bernie is a more viable candidate in a general election.

There will be some who will never vote for Bernie regardless but the idea that anyone in the Hillary campaign is going to bank on superdelegates after 08 doesn't seem like a very sound strategy.

That said I don't think any of this matters.

Paskil

GET

👏

FUCKED

👏

SCOTT

👏

WALKER

👏

WERK.FUCK.QUEEN

Um, wait for it. Dane County judges routinely invalidate things done by this administration and legislature. The appeals court or state Supremes will right the right.

Zona

The only situation where the Superdelegates would vote for someone who didn't win the most pledged delegates and had a greater share of the popular vote is if that candidate started wearing their underwear on the outside and talking about the nazi moon bace stealing out precious bodily fluids right before the convention happened.

So if Donald Trump was in the democratic convention?

Pretty much.

Um, wait for it. Dane County judges routinely invalidate things done by this administration and legislature. The appeals court or state Supremes will right the right.

Yeah, this will eventually make its way up to the Supreme Court, where the 5-2 conservative majority will uphold the law.

The only situation where the Superdelegates would vote for someone who didn't win the most pledged delegates and had a greater share of the popular vote is if that candidate started wearing their underwear on the outside and talking about the nazi moon bace stealing out precious bodily fluids right before the convention happened.
So if Donald Trump was in the democratic convention?

Yeah, running an ad that defends the big banks is great move.

Saying Sanders doesn't have a concrete plan for breaking up the banks and defending big banks are so completely different that I don't even know how to argue against you.

So how many delegates are being decided at conventions I though only Caucuses did that?
Depends on the state.

Missouri got some play over the past 24 hours. If they're pledged, they have to vote however the primary played out. But some states have uncommitted delegates that are selected through other means. It's basically a complicated crapshoot.

If you don't believe corporations should be liable for crimes committed using their products (which is an interesting position to take, by the way, when considering the possibility of prosecuting large parts of the financial sector: Should financial institutions be liable for packaging mortgages and products in extremely obtuse and misleading ways, if it was the ratings agencies that fucked up how to sell and qualify the product itself?), then that is certainly a position I can understand.

*sigh*

The psycho behind the sandy hook killings which utilized an instrument manufactured by a company.

It is not the same person who deliberately made broken financial instruments and then sold it to people/groups/businesses around the world which essentially knew nothing about the products they were buying because it was deliberately comprised by these financial institutions to obfuscate what lay within. They relied on the financial ratings agency's ratings. This system was beholden to the bank instead of the people.

They took advantage of the contemporary regulatory ratings guidelines on a vastly complex instrument to build packages that would rate as AAA despite being full of shit so that they could sell them to institutions that only take AAA investments. Often these are funds that take over Pensions and/or people's retirement accounts. Fun times telling people to put money in their 401k.

It's immensely shitty behavior by an industry that is known for its consistent fraudulent activity, and which shifted immediately to High Frequency Trading post-crash...which I think is just another bundle of fun. I'm planning on doing some more deep reading on the Crash and HFT in the near future, but what I've read thus far is only disturbing.

You can blame incompetence on the money managers for not reading what lay exactly within these complex financial instruments, or lay the blame at the financial regulators. You can say maybe we couldn't do anything legally, but I call it too much fear that we'd make our economy too unstable. Essentially, I think Obama was stuck between a rock and a hard place. But I think there needs to be much more public education and discussions around these topics.

But I can and damn well will put the vast majority of the blame on these financial institutions who made it as hard as possible for anyone to analyze what lay within the financial instruments, who encouraged subprime growth, and who also benefitted widely after the mortgage crisis through big bonuses and payouts. And I damn well will blame the current administration, the previous administration, Greenspan, et al for essentially giving everyone a big 'pass'.

For the record, I'd rather us ban all guns in this country--but that's an opinion I know no one cares about.

Mael

Who introduced the bill that made gun manufacturer special that Sanders voted for?

I would if you had asked nicely.

Or maybe if you wanted people to engage your points you would make them clearer.
When someone posted the Krugman article or NYDM interview we got a summary to get the gist of it for the guys who couldn't access the source site.
If you're too lazy to discuss a point don't even bother, it serves no purpose and is as annoying as a GGer posting a Sarkon of Akkad vid saying "makes you think huh?".

hawk2025

*sigh*

The psycho behind the sandy hook killings which utilized an instrument manufactured by a company.

It is not the same person who deliberately made broken financial instruments and then sold it to people/groups/businesses around the world which essentially knew nothing about the products they were buying because it was deliberately comprised by these financial institutions to obfuscate what lay within. They relied on the financial ratings agency's ratings. This system was beholden to the bank instead of the people.

They took advantage of the contemporary regulatory ratings guidelines on a vastly complex instrument to build packages that would rate as AAA despite being full of shit so that they could sell them to institutions that only take AAA investments. Often these are funds that take over Pensions and/or people's retirement accounts. Fun times telling people to put money in their 401k.

It's immensely shitty behavior by an industry that is known for its consistent fraudulent activity, and which shifted immediately to High Frequency Trading post-crash...which I think is just another bundle of fun. I'm planning on doing some more deep reading on the Crash and HFT in the near future, but what I've read thus far is only disturbing.

You can blame incompetence on the money managers for not reading what lay exactly within these complex financial instruments, or lay the blame at the financial regulators. You can say maybe we couldn't do anything legally, but I call it too much fear that we'd make our economy too unstable. Essentially, I think Obama was stuck between a rock and a hard place. But I think there needs to be much more public education and discussions around these topics.

But I can and damn well will put the vast majority of the blame on these financial institutions who made it as hard as possible for anyone to analyze what lay within the financial instruments, who encouraged subprime growth, and who also benefitted widely after the mortgage crisis through big bonuses and payouts. And I damn well will blame the current administration, the previous administration, Greenspan, et al for essentially giving everyone a big 'pass'.

For the record, I'd rather us ban all guns in this country--but that's an opinion I know no one cares about.

Dollars to donuts, it's still an argument on the level of accountability of the upstream seller to the downstream buyer.

Neither deserves special protection because of the nature of their business. Be it money or killing machines.

And if one does, they all do. You took a stand on that post that I didn't even disagree with!

Wilsongt

Millennial Voter
Millennial Voter – ‏@milkvamp

Young people don't do any research, says a woman who told us the Reagans were advocates for LGBT awareness #HillaryResearch
8:33 AM - 4 Apr 2016
271 RETWEETS398 LIKES

Kinda pointing at a finger yourself there...

They didn't steal any delegates. At the national convention, they're required to vote how the state voted. Missouri's delegates are bound to the primary results.

Mael

If I get this right, Clinton have the delegate lead in Missouri but Sanders can present 50 more delegates but they don't count anyway so who cares?

Dollars to donuts, it's still an argument of accountability of the upstream seller to the downstream buyer.

Neither deserves special protection because of the nature of their business. Be it money or killing machines.

And if one does, they all do. You took a stand on that post that I didn't even disagree with!

I think there is a fundamental difference in the complexity, to the extent that the analogy is completely bunk. That reducing either case so completely is doing a disservice to both.

Fully will admit to being wrong, though, as I honestly don't know much about the gun bill and its legislation.

hawk2025

I think there is a fundamental difference in the complexity, to the extent that the analogy is completely bunk. That reducing either case so completely is doing a disservice to both.

Fully will admit to being wrong, though, as I honestly don't know much about the gun bill and its legislation.

But the complexity only further highlights the point:

Both should be accountable to at least the possibility of legal action of all kinds!

What I'm saying is that the same type of disingenuous "kitchen knife" argument made to defend the PLCAA can be made to defend the finance industry and how it dealt (and deals) with derivatives. I don't want either argument to be valid -- I want the courts to deal with it if the people so choose to pursue legal action, with no special protections for any industry due to the nature of their business.

Trancos

Bernie didn't win Missouri, delegates are bound by CD votes.

I will just try to present the facts as simple as possible: here are the rules published by the Missouri Democratic party on Feb 2, 6:41 AM They were published on this site.
Chapter 3, Section 2, 'Selection of Delegates', subsection K, paragraph III, states that: " delegates shall be allocated according to the congressional district primary vote"

Section 3 then elaborates on the maths, but in plain words it says that delegates should be allocated according popular vote in CD (minus any vote for a candidate that didn't met the 15% threshold)

According to Chapter 3, Section A-1, 'Selection of Delegates', the April 7 mass meetings are only to decide WHO the delegates will be for each candidate on a tiered election process. IT DOES NOT DEFINE the allocation number for each candidate. They do have rules for how many delegate in total are allocated according to past elections results and other criteria (that are not important for this subject). Not sure if this helps.

TL/DR : Delegates were always to be allocated according to Congressional District. This were the rules published back in February. I think some Bernie supporters misunderstood the rules (as they also misunderstood the rules in Nevada when they think that all delegates are unbound when there are only 12 at large and PLEOS left to to be allocated at the Nevada State Convention). Anybody is free and go to check the rules by themselves.

User 406

Banned
According to my principles anyone with a tag is a heathen. The entire lot of you.

I am a staunchly loyal heathen.

my fever induced nightmare was that condi rice got drafted at the convention and she beat clinton. ive never wanted to wake up so badly before

I gotta be honest, I think I'd rather have her than any of the current GOP crop. :X

I was just reading about that. Super Sad!

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

The basic problem here is that the law gives gun manufacturers special protection that no other industry is allowed to have. There's no reason for it, and it prevents the usual process of motivating industries to make their products safer. It's pretty much a perfect example of a corrupted special interest law.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom