• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT4| Tyler New Chief Exit Pollster at CNN

Status
Not open for further replies.

studyguy

I never knew Bernie voted against the Amber Alert system.

I literally just got an amber alert.
Soledad, CA Amber Alert: LIC/7LIE244 (CA) 2015 Black Honda Accord.
Jacob Vargas (2-years old)
Last seen Apr 14, 2016 in Soledad, CA
jacob55555-jpg.jpg

They always scare the shit out of me since both of my phones go crazy and produce that weird siren sound.
Actually fucking sad if he voted against it... I mean look it's just a baby.

I never knew Bernie voted against the Amber Alert system.

What were his reasons? I'm legitimately curious because this would hurt my views on Bernie a bit if it was for some stupid reason like they didn't attach a rider for nationalizing the banks or something.

But he had two awful weeks of attacking back Clinton gafes, why is he not dropping in the preferences of nationwide democrats?

Puzzling.

How can you even see 2 weeks worth of data on a 2 year big chart?

royalan

What were his reasons? I'm legitimately curious because this would hurt my views on Bernie a bit if it was for some stupid reason like they didn't attach a rider for nationalizing the banks or something.

How can you even see 2 weeks worth of data on a 2 year big chart?

I can't remember his exact wording, but his reasoning was something along the lines of Amber Alert potentially infringing upon people's privacy.

http://www.ontheissues.org/HouseVote/Party_2003-127.htm

He definitely voted no.

It looks like he did so because he didn't like the mandatory minimums in the bill.

Among the add-ons placed on the bill by House Republicans was one restricting the discretion of federal judges in crafting sentences for a range of crimes.

Sanders campaign manager Jeff Weaver said Sanders is a strong supporter of the Amber Alert program, and signed onto a 2004 letter to the House leadership requesting full funding for it.

But Sanders voted against the Amber Alert bill because he felt its sentencing provisions were an unconstitutional intrusion by Congress, taking power that should rest with the judiciary.

There were only 14 Reps who voted against it, and it passed the Senate unanimously.

ApharmdX

Banned
As expected, if Bernie loses, him and his wife will both support Hillary and urge all of his supporters to do the same.

I don't think he's going to burn this house down, he's a smart, reasonable guy who understands the system. I'm not too concerned about the Bernie or Bust crew.

Did anyone expect that Bernie wouldn't support Hillary in the GE? Better incremental change with some compromise than burning it all down.

Interesting, so still not that accurate. For this race in particular, Kasich hasn't been on the national stage in a big way like Hillary has for two decades, so his numbers could go down once voters see his unsavory side (temper, treatment of women), but her numbers probably won't change much at all. I wonder if a guy like Trump will see his head-to-head numbers improve against Hillary, or if his time in the spotlight has him locked-in where he's at?

I don't have a problem with Trump delegates defecting to Cruz, because I understand that after the first ballot, the delegates become unbound. Trump--the really smart guy who is supposed to have the best team and understand the art of the deal and all that--could have been working to benefit from that fact from the beginning, as Cruz has been. Instead, he's only proven that he's all talk and no skill. Frankly, I'd find it satisfying to see him lose the nomination because of his organizational incompetence.

Is there any better repudiation of Trump's self-proclaimed business prowess and acumen than this kind of humiliating loss? It's magically delicious.

kYyqI8I.jpg

Course, the Reuters tracking shows that the last week or two hasn't been great for the Bern. I can cherry pick data too.

Using a filtered version of the Reuters poll is cherrypicking. They literally just had a poll released today, where Sanders overtook Clinton by one point (he was one point down in their last poll, two weeks ago)

Using overall poll averages isnt cherry picking, gurl.

Using a filtered version of the Reuters poll is cherrypicking. They literally just had a poll released today, where Sanders overtook Clinton by one point (he was one point down in their last poll, two week ago)

Using overall poll averages isnt cherry picking, gurl.

I just used "Likely Democratic Primary Voters."

Why they release it as just registered voters, I'll never understand.

But, you can go to their site and see their current numbers:

http://polling.reuters.com/#!poll/T...s/20160201-20160412/type/smallest/spotlight/1

Bernie's been on a downward trend after hitting his high on the 27th of March. National primary polls are useless, though, especially when half the country has already voted.

http://polling.reuters.com/#!poll/T...s/20160201-20160412/type/smallest/spotlight/1

Bernie's been on a downward trend after hitting his high on the 27th of March. National primary polls are useless, though, especially when half the country has already voted.

Melkr is talking about a different poll entirely.

We need a national poll of "states yet to vote"

But he had two awful weeks of attacking back Clinton gafes, why is he not dropping in the preferences of nationwide democrats?

Yeah I'm glad national polls mean everything at this any point and President Romney is thankful that his 3-percent margin in the final week of 2012 meant shit.

(Actually that's not even a 1:1 comparison because half the damn states have voted at this point. Scust.)

Sashay away.

Fuchsdh

Suing the manufacturer for selling a legal product solves what exactly?

Yeah while I understand why these folks are mad and definitely think these gun companies are working merrily to perpetuate death... I don't see what's against the law in their conduct, and if not a Bushmaster, those kids would have been killed with another brand of gun.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
A lot, actually. They're suing them for the advertising, basically.

Also if this plays out like the lawsuits of the past, they'll be able to force better safety features onto the guns that might save lives. Like that fingerprint lock thing, had those guns had that Sandy Hook would never have happened.

Their sample is really small, thats why you have those huge swings. And his peak was April 5th. Theres a reason why Reuters use official results instead of the filtered ones.

Anyway, I think an average of multiple polls are more telling than just one filtered, poorly represented Reuters poll.

Yeah while I understand why these folks are mad and definitely think these gun companies are working merrily to perpetuate death... I don't see what's against the law in their conduct, and if not a Bushmaster, those kids would have been killed with another brand of gun.

If not a Bushmaster, with things like fingerprint lock tech effectively mandated by threat of lawsuit, those kids don't get killed, period.

Like, it's the same kind of logic that applies with threats of violence in activist campaigns - you do this, or we force you to do it anyway.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
So... they won't be able to advertise the guns they can sell? That'll stop whom from getting shot next?

You should go read up on how these lawsuits tend to play out and what the point is. We have this discussion every few days and those points are always ignored and I'm sick of making them over and over again.

So... they won't be able to advertise the guns they can sell? That'll stop whom from getting shot next?

No.

The families are arguing that the guns were marketed to civilians in such a way as to entice the person to buy it because they'll be able to kill as many people as possible as quickly as possible.

It's the same as if I ran an ad for a car saying "You can mow down 14 people and not even get a dent in the bumper"...and then someone does that.

Why are you arguing over national polling?
Suing the manufacturer for selling a legal product solves what exactly?
The PLCAA is a law pushed through by "money in politics!!!!!" by Republicans as a result of lobbyists, special interests and Big Gun.
To give Big Gun a shield from litigation that nearly no other industry has.
The type of litigation that has resulted in the standardisation of safety features in industries like the automobile sector.

So, let me ask you a question back. Why are you in favour of it?

Pretty much every poll has Bernie getting around 40, so I'm gong to predict 57-43 in the end. If Hilary got 60 I think Bernie would drop out very soon afterwords

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom