• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT4| Tyler New Chief Exit Pollster at CNN

Status
Not open for further replies.

pigeon

Banned
This whole stupid argument is just the bargaining stage of grief. It's idiotic on its face to claim that the current dysfunction in the Congress somehow merits a complete retooling of the Supreme Court to accommodate that dysfunction. Sad!

It's not about the current Congressional dysfunction at all, it's a question of what role the Supreme Court should actually be playing in the political process. Right now (and when I say right now I mean, like, for the last hundred years or so) they're more or less acting as another veto point, representing another office you have to capture to get political change, except the election process is monarchical. Hopefully it should be clear that that is kind of a messy design from a democratic perspective.

You can acknowledge that SCOTUS has acted in a fundamentally political way for a long time and still believe, and argue, that America would be better off if it were a nonpartisan veto point whose focus was only on preventing constitutional crises and maintaining government stability and continuity. Which, after all, is the original source of SCOTUS's power! There is evidence to suggest that nonpartisan veto points of this nature make systems more democratic. I remember having a lengthy argument with some British GAFfers about this exact question as it pertains to the Queen's interaction with the British political system -- there is actually an advantage to having somebody in the system who has explicitly no political affiliation but does want to make sure the government keeps running smoothly forever and has technically unlimited power to ensure that.

And sure, part of me wants to say "hey, let's make this change but first let's wait for them to do a bunch of liberal stuff," and that's fine, but I'm separating the system discussion from the context of my immediate policy goals here.

Holy shit

I drunk submitted a story to this guy I know who works for a literary journal, and he's kinda interested in publishing it.

It's a shit story.

OMG.

WERK!

COME THROUGH QUEEN MAKE THIS DAY GREAT AGAIN.

Youth are generally apathetic or need motivation, and don't necessarily know the primary rules. But Bernie's team should know this and step up their GOTV efforts to get people registered, also Bernie should have started campaigning much much sooner.

CCS

Banned
Holy shit

I drunk submitted a story to this guy I know who works for a literary journal, and he's kinda interested in publishing it.

It's a shit story.

OMG.

WERK!

COME THROUGH QUEEN MAKE THIS DAY GREAT AGAIN.

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAS

I'm off to bed, see you guys in 4 hours :)

Vampire Weekend guy's twitter is hilarious right now:

Ezra Koenig ‏@arzE Apr 18
The New York primary is bullshit. Whoever wins - this is garbage. It's voter suppression.
CgVo_FgXIAMrhAB.jpg:large
.@BilldeBlasio you're the only elected NY democrat I've ever met (shoutout to steve buscemi.) plz speak on this or we're enemies now
.@BilldeBlasio i don't wanna fast-track u to the number one spot on my enemies list BUT YOU'RE OUR MAYOR. FUK THIS

Dude, they're just waking up. Give 'em a sec to check their dank memes and figure out where their polling place is before expecting turnout.

Turnout is actually doing well it seems.

At Grafflin Elementary School in Chappaqua, Paula Kurth, the elections chairperson for District 1 in New Castle, said turnout this morning has been "huge." In the first two hours of open polling, one district at the school had 96 voters and the other had 85, which Kurth called a "very high turnout.

"People were here at five minutes to 6 (a.m.) waiting to vote. One man was tapping his watch," she said. "It's exciting."

In Nyack, poll workers said turnout was larger than in previous year. By 8:30 a.m., more than 60 people had voted at Grace Episcopal Church and Living Christ Church — almost double the usual number. Inspectors said there were a few incidents of people not being registered or not listed as living within the voting district, but for the most part, things were running smoothly.

Poll Inspector Olga Klimak, also at Rochambeau School, said she expected "a larger turnout than we've had in previous primaries. Both parties are having controversial primaries, which raises voter interest."

Klimak, who's worked as a poll inspector for 15 years, said "we get about 50 voters in most primary elections. "We've probably had close to that already, and it's only 10 o'clock. It was very busy between 6 and 8 a.m. We're in a lull now, but it will get busy again at lunch time, and again between 5 and 8 p.m., as people get home from work."

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Just voted! Feels good and never gets old. I hesitated at the last second a bit but went with Hilary. Venues campaign tried though, called me like 4 takes last few days lol

It's not about the current Congressional dysfunction at all, it's a question of what role the Supreme Court should actually be playing in the political process. Right now (and when I say right now I mean, like, for the last hundred years or so) they're more or less acting as another veto point, representing another office you have to capture to get political change, except the election process is monarchical. Hopefully it should be clear that that is kind of a messy design from a democratic perspective.

You can acknowledge that SCOTUS has acted in a fundamentally political way for a long time and still believe, and argue, that America would be better off if it were a nonpartisan veto point whose focus was only on preventing constitutional crises and maintaining government stability and continuity. Which, after all, is the original source of SCOTUS's power! There is evidence to suggest that nonpartisan veto points of this nature make systems more democratic. I remember having a lengthy argument with some British GAFfers about this exact question as it pertains to the Queen's interaction with the British political system -- there is actually an advantage to having somebody in the system who has explicitly no political affiliation but does want to make sure the government keeps running smoothly forever and has technically unlimited power to ensure that.

And sure, part of me wants to say "hey, let's make this change but first let's wait for them to do a bunch of liberal stuff," and that's fine, but I'm separating the system discussion from the context of my immediate policy goals here.

I mean, I agree with your points and the overall argument.

But I just saw in 2011 a Political Party attempt to destroy the world economy out of spite, so call me skeptical that setting up such a SCOTUS is probably out of the realm of possibility given current circumstances. And I don't mean passing such law, I mean if we even set up the SCOTUS in this way I don't believe for a second it would.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
is NY over yet? I need tears to sustain me for FFXIV raiding tonight.

Polls close at 9.

I mean, I agree with your points and the overall argument.

But I just saw in 2011 a Political Party attempt to destroy the world economy out of spite, so call me skeptical that setting up such a SCOTUS is probably out of the realm of possibility given current circumstances. And I don't mean passing such law, I mean if we even set up the SCOTUS in this way I don't believe for a second it would.

If we had a way to keep Congress functional, I'd be all for it, otherwise I agree with you.

besada

Banned
Holy shit... what did Adam do to get banned?

Continued to denigrate an entire set of supporters, this time by using a comment frequently targeted at the democratic base by Republicans.

I'm done warning. If you can't manage to discuss the primaries without shitting on other users, go somewhere else.

If you'd like to discuss this further, I suggest you contact a mod, rather than discussing it in the thread.

royalan

Yeah.

I mean it sort of ended up that his campaign had vast majority white appeal but it wasn't intentional. It was through terrible misreadings, gafs, mistakes, incompetence, etc.

Bernie absolutely tried. But when his bread and butter "brand" and appeal didn't resonate with demographics outside of his usual targets he didn't know how to effectively pivot.

If Bernie Sanders waited until campaign season for black voters to "get to know him," then no, he absolutely did not try.

Did Bernie Sanders ever tailor his message to an electorate that has been groomed to be wary of hollow rhetoric and sweeping promises? Then no, he absolutely did not try.

A one-size-fits-all approach is not trying.

I thought it was a joke but Shaun King literally did find a way to blame it on Hillary
B
E
N
G
Hillary Clinton's daughter
A
Z
Is on the board of your site's parent company
https://twitter.com/scottbix/status/722527502107832320
Vampire Weekend guy's twitter is hilarious right now:
When are they going to release another album? It's been a while since their songs have been played on damn near every commercial.

docbon

UnitedHealthcare to exit most Obamacare exchanges by 2017

The health insurer had already indicated that it was dropping coverage of the plans, more commonly known as Obamacare, in Arkansas, Georgia and Michigan.

But during a conference call with analysts Tuesday, CEO Stephen Hemsley noted that "next year we will remain in only a handful of states."

Hemsley explained that UnitedHealth will leave most states by 2017 because the markets for these exchanges are relatively small and also have higher risks for the company over the short-term.

As such, he said UnitedHealth (UNH) could not serve these exchanges on an "effective and sustained basis."
It shouldn't come as a huge surprise. UnitedHealth had previously said that it lost $475 million on the ACA exchanges last year and could lose another $500 million this year.

But Hemsley said that the company will "continue to remain an advocate for more stable and sustainable approaches to serving this market and those who rely on it for their care."

UnitedHealth's president and chief financial officer David Wichmann added that the company served 795,000 people on public exchanges as of the end of the first quarter. It expects to have only 650,000 public exchange members by December.

Still, Wall Street applauded the news. Shares of UnitedHealthcare rose nearly 1.5%. It helped that the company's earnings and revenue topped forecasts. UnitedHealth also boosted its financial targets for the year.

More at the link: http://money.cnn.com/2016/04/19/investing/unitedhealthcare-obamacare-exchanges-aca/

I don't have a whole lot of insight to add, so someone else could post a thread if they'd like.

ivysaur12

Banned
“There’s nothin’ like campaignin’ on the trail
If you’re that desperate for votes, you’re prob’ly gonna fail.
There’s trouble on the net, you can smell it.
And Jeb Bush is by himself. I’ll let him tell it.”

ma sides

16. Meet Them On Stage
Jeb: Graham, do you yield?
Trump: His campaign is fried; yes, he yields!
McCain: Now he’s by Jeb’s side
Trump: Yo, we gotta shrink the field
Jeb: Jindal’s also done!
Ensemble: Here comes GW
Trump: This should be fun
GW: What is the meaning of this? What’s happening to our establishment?
Trump (eye roll): What a mess

Wilsongt

How far along are you guys?
We're basically trying to keep it together long enough to care to do AS6 now due to boredom :/

Also King throwing it to Clinton on that 8th tweet wow.

My static is new and low-core. Still working on SephiEX.

Also, RIP adam. There goes my man bitching partner.

about 2/3 of GOP #NYPrimary voters want someone outside establishment, per preliminary exit polls
about 3/4 of GOP #NYPrimary voters want winner of most votes to get nomination, not delegates' choice, per prelim exit polls

21% of Democratic voters are African Americans, up from 16% in 2008.
16% of Dem voters are under 30
31% Very Liberal, 27% Moderate

jaekeem

about 2/3 of GOP #NYPrimary voters want someone outside establishment, per preliminary exit polls
about 3/4 of GOP #NYPrimary voters want winner of most votes to get nomination, not delegates' choice, per prelim exit polls

16%...christ

NeoXChaos

Queen sweep

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom