• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT4| Tyler New Chief Exit Pollster at CNN

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
about 2/3 of GOP #NYPrimary voters want someone outside establishment, per preliminary exit polls
about 3/4 of GOP #NYPrimary voters want winner of most votes to get nomination, not delegates' choice, per prelim exit polls

21% of Democratic voters are African Americans, up from 16% in 2008.
16% of Dem voters are under 30
31% Very Liberal, 27% Moderate

That's going to be brutal on both sides of the isle.

Is there a figure on how many independents missed out on changing their party affiliation? Or will we see a projection at some point?

There's only like 400k independents total in the state, with like 6 million dems. They all would have had to break Bernie to make a difference. Open primary, closed primary, it would have made no difference.

ivysaur12

Banned
about 2/3 of GOP #NYPrimary voters want someone outside establishment, per preliminary exit polls
about 3/4 of GOP #NYPrimary voters want winner of most votes to get nomination, not delegates' choice, per prelim exit polls

oh fuck

Alcander

Increase in AA vote is surprising on its face. Is this because ny actually matters this cycle?

ampere

Trump might be in the 60s?? Geez.

These are still early exits, so I'm guessing they'll change.

Under-30 vote is roughly the same, slightly down.
Very Liberal is up and Moderate is down.

Touchdown

Banned
brb, going out to vote for Queen Hillary

ogWWikd.gif

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Increase in AA vote is surprising on its face. Is this because ny actually matters this cycle?

It's up across the board I believe. It looks like after 2008 and the Obama election the African-America community realized that they were strong enough to sway elections and could pick the candidate they wanted.

ampere

There's only like 400k independents total in the state, with like 6 million dems. They all would have had to break Bernie to make a difference. Open primary, closed primary, it would have made no difference.

Disagree, it would have made a big difference. Hillary would likely still win an open primary, but that's several percentage points of swing in that independent vote

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Disagree, it would have made a big difference. Hillary would likely still win an open primary, but that's several percentage points of swing in that independent vote

He'd have to pull the entire independent vote, which frankly wouldn't happen.

It's up across the board I believe. It looks like after 2008 and the Obama election the African-America community realized that they were strong enough to sway elections and could pick the candidate they wanted.

Technically, it could just represent a drop in non-AA voters.

AA vote totals could be roughly the same but if more white people stayed home, for example, than 2008, then their share goes up.

I didn't realize Sanders had said this. This was.... a bad plan.

https://twitter.com/cshirky/status/720989306790158338?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

A few things starts to make sense now actually. To me it seems like both Bernie Sanders and Donald Trump seems to somewhat support the idea of "Jacksonian Democracy" somewhat or support the "common man". Bernie Sanders seems more concerned with classism and does not prioritize racism, but does think racism is an issue. Although, racism seems to be tied to class.

Most likely increase in proportion instead of outnumbering 2008.

We will know once we know the total turnout compared to 2008.
They understand the importance of voting in primaries. Unlike the youth who are proportionally down a bit and in raw votes way down this time around.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Yeah. That's why I've always appreciated you Melkr. You're pro-Bernie but you don't buy into all this whacky conspiracy garbage.

Indeed. The few, the proud, the we know we lost a long time ago but we still support him, the pro-Bernies on PoliGAF. :p

<facepalm>

Absolutely different situations I agree but both are important to address. Voters should not be given stupid registry messes in order to exercise their rights. Is stupid and the Democratic Party specially should be ashamed of such practices.

It is irrelevant if people think voters should be informed about every deadline and whatever. They don't have to, if they want to vote they should be allowed to do so with the less interference and bureaucracy possible.

Even the 538 podcast native NY residents joked about the NY board of elections striving to be the worst one in the country.

Yup, we're about to join the confederacy.

Well, so much for his career.

Do I want to go on twitter and find out what he did, or will I regret it?

NY really needs to do better though. That October deadline is just insane.

It is pretty dumb. But, see earlier posts about NY Board of Elections.

It's not about the current Congressional dysfunction at all, it's a question of what role the Supreme Court should actually be playing in the political process. Right now (and when I say right now I mean, like, for the last hundred years or so) they're more or less acting as another veto point, representing another office you have to capture to get political change, except the election process is monarchical. Hopefully it should be clear that that is kind of a messy design from a democratic perspective.

You can acknowledge that SCOTUS has acted in a fundamentally political way for a long time and still believe, and argue, that America would be better off if it were a nonpartisan veto point whose focus was only on preventing constitutional crises and maintaining government stability and continuity. Which, after all, is the original source of SCOTUS's power! There is evidence to suggest that nonpartisan veto points of this nature make systems more democratic. I remember having a lengthy argument with some British GAFfers about this exact question as it pertains to the Queen's interaction with the British political system -- there is actually an advantage to having somebody in the system who has explicitly no political affiliation but does want to make sure the government keeps running smoothly forever and has technically unlimited power to ensure that.

And sure, part of me wants to say "hey, let's make this change but first let's wait for them to do a bunch of liberal stuff," and that's fine, but I'm separating the system discussion from the context of my immediate policy goals here.

Bingo. I know it's easy to be all "we are set to take control of SCOTUS, let's use it to do the shit we want carte blanche across the entire country"; but the more we empower SCOTUS to continue being a weapon, the harder the response will be when the GOP (and they will) ends up with the weapon in their control. I suspect everyone here would not be as pleased if the GOP won the presidency, and then promptly reversed Obergefell & Roe v Wade & the handful of major cases that they've decided in favor of liberals.

SCOTUS is currently the band-aid to our dysfunctional legislative process, and I don't think we will make progress on said dysfunction until we take away the easy out of SCOTUS ruling by fiat.

PBY

Banned
No way Trump is in the 60s simply because his campaign is a... mess.

But its looking good, need that consistent 50+ across all districts.

ivysaur12

Banned
21. Who Comes Next
Barack Obama: You say... my Presidency is one that you cannot abide
Insane… Obamacare passes, you vote to repeal fifty times
I’m so blue
Remember we had a recession when Bush went away
Passed a stimulus too
Well even despite our estrangement, I’ve got just one query for you
Who comes next
After me
Do you think
You can beat Hillary
You’re on your own
Uhh… Awesome. Wow.
Do you have a clue what happens now?
Mitt Romney, John McCain
They look excellent compared to today
All alone, the GOP,
When the people vote for another liberal,
Don’t come crawling back to me
Da da da da daaaaa dat da da da dayyyya da
Da da dat dat dayyyyya da
Da da da da daaaaa dat da da da dayyyya da
Da da dat dat dayyyyya da
You’re on your own.

ahahahahahahahahahah

Much thanks. Not looking forward to the conspiracy theories now.

I'm not sure what kind of constitutional issues such a requirement would raise. But to be clear, the suggestion is not that the justices behave as partisans, but that they be appointed by partisans.

They're *already* appointed by partisans though. Anyway, I did not think that your suggestion was that justices must act in a certain way, my point was that some alarm bells should be going off when we are talking about codifying an ideological balance/deadlock. When I used the word principles I was talking more generally in terms of what the Constitution represents, not that it explicitly bars such a proposal (though Art 2 Sec 2 would seem to run counter to your particular solutions, at least in spirit). The Supreme Court was never intended to be foremost an abstractly fair or unbiased body, it was intended to be a final and decisive adjudicator above all else.

And here's a simple suggestion for how the rule could be implemented: the Senate changes its rules such that they won't consider a Supreme Court nominee who isn't supported by a majority of Senators of the party that "controls" the seat to which the nominee is nominated. Alternatively, the rules could provide that the Senate won't consider the nomination of a Supreme Court justice who is not one of a handful of potential nominees chosen by majorities of the appropriate party.

The number of holes and inconsistencies with this kind of "solution" is immeasurable. Again, the stated motivation for this proposal is to prevent partisan actors from screwing up an intentional deadlock at the Supreme Court. That means you have to presume that partisan actors will work to circumvent the deadlock, so your solution has to be able to stop bad actors. But your solution is contingent on the non-existence of the very problem we're trying to solve.

Even putting aside the problem of why partisan actors would enact rules and policies that would prevent them from acting in a partisan fashion, how does this even prevent those actions in the first place? First, we have the problem that they're rules and not laws. So any future Senate majority can simply erase them. Second, we have the problem of how to define the relationship between parties and nominees. Who "owns" Kennedy's seat and how do we resolve a dispute over that ownership? Is the balance of the court determined by the ideology of the actual Justices or the ideology of the parties in the Senate? The latter does nothing to stop the Justices from being unbalanced, and the former doesn't resolve candidates whose ideologies are not easily classified.

Hell, what happens if the future makeup of the Senate is neither Democratic nor Republican because of the formation of new political parties? Do the few remaining Democratic and Republican Senators get to decide who can be considered for Supreme Court positions because they "own" them? How do we even handle the emergence of a new political party in terms of ideological balance? Do we have to expand or shrink the court and make each party have equal representation? How large does a party have to be in order to merit ownership of a Supreme Court seat? Does the Tea Party get a distinct seat separate from Republicans in general?

Next, you say "consider" instead of "confirm". So let's say Justice Thomas dies and Democrats control the Senate but Republicans control the Presidency. The Democrats could conform to these rule and "consider" a Republican nominee, then simply refuse to hold a vote, or to hold a vote and refuse to confirm. So we'd basically be in the situation we're already facing where the Senate does nothing and the balance of the Court changes on its own.

And what about the nominee themselves? Suppose the Republican president wishes to appoint a Justice who the majority of their party in the Senate does not support but whom a majority of Democrats would support. Are we now going to say that the Republican president should be prevented from nominating the candidate of their choice because the majority of the Senate minority opposes it? How do we reconcile such rules and complications with the President's explicit power to nominate in Article 2 Section 2? Such Senate rules would be a clear encroachment on said right even if they don't directly interfere with it.

One more example as I could keep going on and on. Say the minority party or the party who owns the vacant seat supports a nominee who otherwise disturbs the deadlocked balance, that is, the President puts forward a liberal/conservative justice that would put the court at 5-3. What mechanism do we have in place to prevent a stupid or naive party from unbalancing the court?

Well, I suppose that's the trouble with debating imaginary versions of real people.

The fact that this proposal is only being discussed in the wake of Scalia's death is not imaginary. Knowing your historical viewpoints and posting patterns and the fact that you have never brought up such an idea in this community in all these years despite your focus on Supreme Court related subjects is not imaginary. That you give no serious analysis to the problems associated with actually enforcing such a solution is not imaginary (putting aside the issue of enacting it). I go back and forth on giving you the benefit of the doubt a lot of the time, but you burn those inclinations more often than not.

Crocodile

Poor Adam :(

As an aside, am I a terrible person if I think it makes sense if you have to register 30 days before an election to be able to vote in it? I like that same-day registration bumps up participation but at the same time I feel a 30 day buffer encourages people to be more politically motivated, aware and informed but isn't so obscene (like New York's buffer) which would be true if the buffer was larger. Is this speaking from a position of privilege? Is that too undemocratic?

ApharmdX

Banned
UnitedHealthcare to exit most Obamacare exchanges by 2017

More at the link: http://money.cnn.com/2016/04/19/investing/unitedhealthcare-obamacare-exchanges-aca/

I don't have a whole lot of insight to add, so someone else could post a thread if they'd like.

It seems, from where I'm sitting, that health insurance companies are hastening their own demise by leaving the exchanges? The writing is on the wall for them, we should see a real universal health care system in the US in the next generation.

As an aside, am I a terrible person if I think it makes sense if you have to register 30 days before an election to be able to vote in it? I like that same-day registration bumps up participation but at the same time I feel a 30 day buffer encourages people to be more politically motivated, aware and informed but isn't so obscene (like New York's buffer) which would be true if the buffer was larger. Is this speaking from a position of privilege? Is that too undemocratic?

I guess this depends on if your goal is getting "the correct people" voting, or getting every citizen voting.

I'm still sticking with my 8-15 point range, it's 'low' due to many unknown factors floating around.
I'm thinking a blow out because of how many factors favor Clinton here, but I wouldn't want to guess much higher than 15 either. 15 would be massive. She doesn't need to be higher than that for it to be a crushing blow to Sanders and the minority of his supporters who are hardcore crazy and still believe.

I have zero ill will towards the rest of the people pulling for him, but the 'he still has a great chance to beat that conservative crook Hillary' crowd deserve a slap in the face. 15 points is high enough to do that.

Anything double digits is good.

So long as the rules aren't onerous, and these don't really seem to be, and don't systematically attempt to disenfranchise voting blocs, and this doesn't regardless of whatever dumb meme is floating around, then I don't see anything wrong with the rules.
I don't really have much sympathy if you're too busy being dank to register or change registration.

Bernie Sanders is the first candidate in the three (counting this one) presidential races I have been eligible to vote for, who has inspired me to get out and vote. For the first time in my life, I now have a ticket to sit and complain about government without trying to hide the fact I have never voted.

Thank you Bernie Sanders, you're an inspiration to us all.

Btw, +1 for Hillary in Monroe County.

I agree that six months is pretty long and 2-1 month deadlines is fare more reasonable that makes sure

1) People who are interested in the party have a chance to get everything in order
2) If you want a closed primary only people from the party who are interested get to vote if you want that.

That being said, the idea that this was designed to disenfranchise people and bla bla bla is silly.

Also I hope Adam isn't perma, I enjoy his sas or what ever you call it and wish to see it continue in the general election

It seems, from where I'm sitting, that health insurance companies are hastening their own demise by leaving the exchanges? The writing is on the wall for them, we should see a real universal health care system in the US in the next generation.

I would have to go back and look, but I remember reading about how UH's entrance into the exchanges was pretty poorly planned, with plans that weren't competitively priced with others, so they couldn't hit the thresholds they needed for profitability.

Bernie Sanders is the first candidate in the three (counting this one) presidential races I have been eligible to vote for, who has inspired me to get out and vote. For the first time in my life, I now have a ticket to sit and complain about government without trying to hide the fact I have never voted.

what a swerve

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I'm liking my 59-41 / 60-40 predictions from earlier. :D

I'm sticking with a 15 point gap.

That said I had an odd conversation at a bar last night about the election with a bunch of people who turned out to be Hillary supporters, but weren't big on announcing it due to how their Sanders friend talks. Anecdotal I know, but it feeds into a few narratives out there.

I would have to go back and look, but I remember reading about how UH's entrance into the exchanges was pretty poorly planned, with plans that weren't competitively priced with others, so they couldn't hit the thresholds they needed for profitability.

That sounds like what I remember. They didn't plan properly so no one bought their really expensive plans.

Damn lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom