• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT6| Delete your accounts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teggy

This might have hit the thread already, but Trump isn't consolidating support so much as suppressing dissent:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/02/u...republican-convention.html?smid=tw-share&_r=0

This kind of "sure, I support Trump, just not too closely" stuff I don't think is really going to protect them. But it shows how far Trump still is from getting solid support from the GOP.

It's kind of the perfect situation. Opponents can run ads that say that Republicans support Trump and they'll either have to say nothing in response or shit on Trump.

Emarv

Every time I've said that something he's said was going to hurt him he only went up in the polls.

Doubling down on racism only gets him more support
Not with GE voters. This stuff can't be shrugged off. Effects will be seen in things like state specific polling.

cogent

Banned
The party refusing to support him is directly connected to their view of the willingness of GOP voters to support him, and in turn GOP voters will take their cues, in many cases, from the party.

I think the majority will come around come November. They'll probably be even more galvanized when Obama starts campaigning because their entire strategy for the past 7 years has been opposing him at every turn.

ampere

I forgot Sherrod Brown, too. Sherrod Brown is a solid choice, I think. Again, you just lose a senate seat. But I think he's fit to be President.

Yeah, but we absolutely can't risk that. Kasich would definitely appoint a Republican.

I looked it up and Massachusetts rules state that there's a special election 145-160 days after the vacancy occurs, so maybe Warren wouldn't be that big of an issue if she is picked and willing to be VP.

I think the majority will come around come November. They'll probably be even more galvanized when Obama starts campaigning because their entire strategy for the past 7 years has been opposing him at every turn.
He won't be stuck at 40% forever (I imagine he'll finish closer to 45%), but I can imagine several suburban white women who voted for Romney who are too disgusted by Trump's antics and might also just want to see a female president in their lifetime.

Yeah, but we absolutely can't risk that. Kasich would definitely appoint a Republican.

I looked it up and Massachusetts rules state that there's a special election 145-160 days after the vacancy occurs, so maybe Warren wouldn't be that big of an issue if she is picked and willing to be VP.
Note also that the Massachusetts Democrats can pretty much do whatever they want because of their comically large majorities. It's like 80% in the Senate and 75% in the House. They can just change the laws on appointments like they have many times.

Hindl

What I'm curious about is how all these non-committal republicans act once Hillary is the official nominee post-DNConvention. We saw Linsey Graham flip his tune on Hillary vs. Trump. I'm just wondering once the GE gets into full swing, if these GOPers hatred for Hillary will cause them to switch. Although by that point, Trump will probably have already destroyed the party's image for a generation.

Cipherr

Every time I've said that something he's said was going to hurt him he only went up in the polls.

Doubling down on racism only gets him more support

He is not currently going up in Polls on Hillary he is going down, and has been going down for over a week now. Look at the GE data for the last week. He is no longer in the fight for the Republican Primary, time to let that stuff go...

The general is what's important now. And this stuff IS hurting him.

Ophelion

There's a part of me that's relieved it wasn't worse than "African American." This is how low the bar has been set. Fuck.

It will get worse. If his comments are this deranged now, imagine what it will be like when some real stress is actually placed on him. When the Democrats start unloading everything they've got, when the press starts in (assuming they actually do have the spine for it in any shape), when it starts to become obvious he's going to lose and Republicans start going at him for easy points and to distinguish themselves from his sinking ship.

Imagine the heinous stuff he'll say then.

cogent

Banned
He won't be stuck at 40% forever (I imagine he'll finish closer to 45%), but I can imagine several suburban white women who voted for Romney who are too disgusted by Trump's antics and might also just want to see a female president in their lifetime.

Note also that the Massachusetts Democrats can pretty much do whatever they want because of their comically large majorities. It's like 80% in the Senate and 75% in the House. They can just change the laws on appointments like they have many times.

So why does the state keep electing Republican Govs?

HylianTom

Banned
I'm really starting to think that he'll drop the b-word against Hillary. We've joked about it, but if he's baited enough..

He's not used to the pressure. This is an entirely different intensity level, like moving the 'Novice' switch on your Atari 2600 over to 'Expert.' And the pressure is only going to build as we get closer and closer to November.

It will get worse. If his comments are this deranged now, imagine what it will be like when some real stress is actually placed on him. When the Democrats start unloading everything they've got, when the press starts in (assuming they actually do have the spine for it in any shape), when it starts to become obvious he's going to lose and Republicans start going at him for easy points and to distinguish themselves from his sinking ship.

There's a part of me that's going to love it...and then a part of me that's going to be furious....and another part of me that wants to fucking scream every time we see him on teevee. It's so confusing.

Also, I told my mom about it:

Mom: Did your little gay friends online tell you about it?
Me: Yes, but, you know, they're not all gay, right?
Mom: Oh, they're not?
Me: No.
Mom: How disappointing. .

I don't think he will say the N-word, but I am convinced Hilary can force him into call her a bitch on national television. He's that deranged

Teggy

There's a part of me that's going to love it...and then a part of me that's going to be furious....and another part of me that wants to fucking scream every time we see him on teevee. It's so confusing.

WTH your mom is straightaphobic.

So why does the state keep electing Republican Govs?
Coakley was a godawful candidate for one. She also choked in the 2010 special election to fill Kennedy's seat which took away Democrats' supermajority.

For two, the statewide Republicans in states like Massachusetts are a very different breed simply because they have to be in order to get elected. Baker by all accounts seems like a pretty reasonable Republican, and Romney was too. Plus when you have Democrats dominating the state legislature to that extreme, centrist voters might feel they need a check on their power, whereas liberal voters can't be too upset about a conservative governor when they know all of his vetoes are going to be overridden anyway.

Emarv

I'm really starting to think that he'll drop the b-word against Hillary. We've joked about it, but if he's baited enough..

He's not used to the pressure. This is an entirely different intensity level, like moving the 'Novice' switch on your Atari 2600 over to 'Expert.' And the pressure is only going to build as we get closer and closer to November.

It's totally gonna happen. I'm just waiting for him to fire Manafort and then a tape accidentally leaks of him behind close doors saying all kinds of shit. We got Romney saying 47% behind closed doors. What would Trump's be?

Some old school racist Republicans need to pull Trump aside and teach him the "art" of the dog whistle, because I have no idea what the fuck he's doing with this blatantly racist attack on this federal judge

Source: Reid promoting Warren for VP

Harry Reid is quietly promoting Elizabeth Warren as a top pick to be Hillary Clinton’s running mate, and the Senate minority leader is already looking into Massachusetts law to see how quickly her Senate seat could be filled if Warren does ascend to the vice presidency, a source close to him said Friday.

Reid views Warren as someone who can unite the Democratic Party after the longer-than-expected primary battle between Clinton and Bernie Sanders, the source said. The person confirmed a Boston Globe story that reported Reid was actively researching the state’s special election rules.

cogent

Banned
Coakley was a godawful candidate for one. She also choked in the 2010 special election to fill Kennedy's seat which took away Democrats' supermajority.

For two, the statewide Republicans in states like Massachusetts are a very different breed simply because they have to be in order to get elected. Baker by all accounts seems like a pretty reasonable Republican, and Romney was too. Plus when you have Democrats dominating the state legislature to that extreme, centrist voters might feel they need a check on their power, whereas liberal voters can't be too upset about a conservative governor when they know all of his vetoes are going to be overridden anyway.

It's an interesting point when compared to places like Hawaii and DC which are one party rule entirely.

I officially disappointed Adam's mom.

Regarding that Trump video, it was amazing already before he got the racist part. Claiming that he tells his rally goers to be nice to protesters!

The exact thing I've been saying all along. I think her attacks on Trump were a test fire to see how it would work. I think she passed with flying colors, and it had the benefit of setting Trump over the edge. It's a great choice.
I officially disappointed Adam's mom.

Regarding that Trump video, it was amazing already before he got the racist part. Claiming that he tells his rally goers to be nice to protesters!
I've been disappointing her for 29 years. She's used to it. :p

Trump has a pathological need to be right, win every exchange, and always defend himself/his brand. He is never going to truly walk back an ignorant comment, and will instead double down. The Megyn Kelly interview was a great example of that, where he initially acted like he didn't call her a bimbo, then tried to passively defend it by saying "I'm sure you've been called a lot worse." Everything is a battle with him. He's Walter Sobchak.

He can't be controlled, nor can he truly pivot.

NeoXChaos

+ lots of Independents. Maine too.

Sibylus

Banned
This Warren fangirl is so conflicted

giff.gif
resolution

Jesus the ether. I love 3:20 and onward for that 8 second period:

"I can't tell who I'm running against sometimes."

Fucking DESTROYED! Man oh man if Bernie had half of the charisma and ability (debate-wise) that Obama has he would have hit her with a similar line for how close she sticks to Obama. He tried it with the "Do you disagree with the President on anything?" but it lacked the punch that Obama's line did in that old debate. Although it wouldnt have gone over well for Bernie because the situation is quite different. Still its amazing to see the contrast.

Man oh man...

Yeah Obama is an amazing speaker. Is there a past president you think is his equal in delivery and prose?

That's really interesting, I believe I saw a piece recently saying that Reid was really adamant that Warren or Sherrod Brown should NOT be the VP because of their replacements being appointed by Republicans.

If Reid is pushing for it, it probably has a decent chance of happening. I can only imagine the sway he has behind the scenes.

NJ Democrats can't change the rules but I think if Clinton really wanted Booker as VP, the ensuing special election would probably be a safe bet for the Democrat even if Christie had an appointment for a few months. Ohio I would be far more concerned about in an off-year special election.

It's an interesting point when compared to places like Hawaii and DC which are one party rule entirely.
Hawaii elected a Republican governor as recently as 2006 so it's not exactly exclusive to Massachustts. And until 2010/2014 pretty much locked down red states at a state level, Democrats still won state races in red states all the time.

Surprised to see Reid give this much worry to Bernie Sanders. The only reason to pick Warren is if you're desperate and the party is truly deflated. That's simply not the reality on the ground. Hillary is not an exciting nominee to many people, but she should still be able to dominate the election. Meanwhile Trump is generating quite a bit of enthusiasm among democrat voters. Not to mention the fact that Obama will be campaigning for Hillary.

Crocodile

Reid apparently very confident they'll win every single Senate race! More realistically, he has to say this to get Sanders & kin to calm the hell down next week and this is at least some lip service.

Though his saying "looking into Massachusetts law to see how quickly her Senate seat could be filled if Warren does ascend to the vice presidency" is code for "how much can we screw with state law by ramming stuff past vetoes on very short notice," which is a little sleazy and the sort of thing we'd probably groan at if a red state tried to pull the same thing. I don't doubt they'll look into it.

Surprised to see Reid give this much worry to Bernie Sanders. The only reason to pick Warren is if you're desperate and the party is truly deflated. That's simply not the reality on the ground. Hillary is not an exciting nominee to many people, but she should still be able to dominate the election. Meanwhile Trump is generating quite a bit of enthusiasm among democrat voters. Not to mention the fact that Obama will be campaigning for Hillary.

It might not be about Hillary vs. Trump that he's worried about.

It could be about getting a group of people who don't vote, excited via Warren to do some real damage in the House and Senate.

That is so weird because like a week ago he was quoted as saying no way to Warren, absolutely no vps from a state with an R gov.

But it makes sense. Want to kill Bernie without fighting him?

Do Warren. She is the female him. Independents trust her. She was the face of all this before Bernie showed up. I have a gut feeling that she will make the medicine so much easier to swallow for Sander diehards (yes even some of the hardcore supporters) to vote for Clinton.
"I don't trust Hillary, but I like Warren so I'll vote for her.. grump grump..".

If Sanders won't conceit, this is what I would do. Bernie Sanders has nothing but his position. If you add Warren as your VP, you're essentially removing the differences between the parties.

And while you might say the VP doesn't decide, well, isn't there times when the president takes another pass when his administration advice him to do something? If you are uncomfortable with Hillary, and have doubts about being able to trust her, I'd feel a lot better knowing she was there, because I'd follow Warren the nice lady with the soothing voice into war.

Thirdly, I'd respect Clinton for embracing girl power. I'd annoy me if a dude had to be VP to balance out the diversity quotas. Give it to Warren. Even if she hasn't served long enough in the Senate to be worth it.

And if she gets it, Sanders can go home knowing he pushed a near identical idealogical version of himself into heighest office. He can pat hmself on the back knowing he pushed the party left, and go back to yelling at clouds in Vermont.

How is that not the best win/win? I think it is! I don't care who wins california. It makes no difference how I feel or how righteous anyone is. I just don't want there to be physical escalation. A chair was almost thrown at the Nevada convention. If there is actual fighting at the convention or mass violence, then everything falls apart and that'd be a shame, but not unexpected. Just another day for a political activist group to be represented by the few bad apples that recede in the mists. :(

Hey y'all.

The Queen is fucking amazing.

I don't understand why people think she's shrill? She has a lovely speaking voice, and is an excellent orator.

She talked about gun issues today, and her voice was laden with emotion. It was incredibly moving and powerful.

This is the closest I got to her.

I'm jelly.

I've been practicing my curtsy for when GE Queen comes to Ohio.

ampere

Interesting

That is so weird because like a week ago he was quoted as saying no way to Warren, absolutely no vps from a state with an R gov.

It must be because of Massachusetts' weird situation. Currently they have a special election ~140 days after the vacancy, the governor doesn't get to appoint.

I'm fine with Warren assuming the Senate seat thing is all dandy, and I'm sure Warren will do it if it's best for the party, even though she might accomplish more in the Senate.

Hey y'all.

The Queen is fucking amazing.

Looks fun! She's pretty passionate about gun issues, so that was probably a good talk

Trump has a pathological need to be right, win every exchange, and always defend himself/his brand. He is never going to truly walk back an ignorant comment, and will instead double down. The Megyn Kelly interview was a great example of that, where he initially acted like he didn't call her a bimbo, then tried to passively defend it by saying "I'm sure you've been called a lot worse." Everything is a battle with him. He's Walter Sobchak.

He can't be controlled, nor can he truly pivot.

This makes Obama The Dude and Biden Donny, right? RIGHT!?

(I guess Maude is Hillary and Lebowski as Bernie!?!? Oh, and the nihilists are Bernie Bros...)

kirblar

I neither agree or disagree but what exactly do you mean about this? Can you elaborate?
The type of thing that describes things in term of a rigid black/white, oppressed/oppressor class with a very rigid hierarchy- you can see the lineage from the proletariat/bourgeoisie concepts where everything flows only one way. Academia being a left-leaning bubble, these ideas stuck around a lot longer there than they did everywhere else, and it seems like it's been slower to adapt to the data onslaught of the past 30 years than other areas.

mo60

I said this before if I recall, but trump will struggle to get 45% support in the fall. Gary Johnson may steal some votes from him in vital states and the democrats will prove a challenge for him in the GE. He's a walking talking disaster and no one should be worrying about him unless he decides to pivot eventually which is looking unlikely as we move closer to the general election phase.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom