• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT6| Delete your accounts

Status
Not open for further replies.

FyreWulff

I intiially thought McCain could have been solid before he moved far to the right during the primaries and picked Palin as VP. I was pulling for Obama all along though.

Yeah McCain would have been okay in the right circumstance, but what the FUCK happened to him. If he had beaten W in 2000 i would have been alright with him based off what I knew of him then, but then he jumped off the tracks, went into the woods, and is still to this day lost wandering around inside them

Yeah, before McCain sold his soul, I was thinking I could be generally happy with either candidate. It's like the universe wanted to prove me wrong.

Same here. I remember learning about the McCain/Feingold law in school and thinking anyone who helped design that law couldn't really be that bad of a president.

And then he completely went off the rails.

McCain's legacy has been seriously damaged by how crazy the GOP got with Obama.

2000 McCain could have been decent. I disagree with him on a few issues, but he was a fairly decent man. He went off the far right end to win the nomination. They never let McCain be McCain.
Senator McCain regularly crossed the aisle and proposed actionable solutions to things like illegal immigration. Candidate McCain was just awful. It's what taught me the key problem good GOP candidates face. You may be the best candidate but you've got to win over the racists and the hardline conservatives to get the nomination.

If they had been able to just pick him without the primaries, he'd probably have won campaigning as a moderate Republican against Obama.

ampere

That Warren speech... praising and talking about Curiel. PREACH

And she just cut Trump's balls off and threw them in a garbage disposal

Crocodile

A) This Warren interview/endorsement is very good <3

B) similar to a lot of other people here, I just to have a very positive opinion of McCain a long time ago. That pivot to the right that he had to do though to win the nomination ruined him in my eyes :(

Senator McCain regularly crossed the aisle and proposed actionable solutions to things like illegal immigration. Candidate McCain was just awful. It's what taught me the key problem good GOP candidates face. You may be the best candidate but you've got to win over the racists and the hardline conservatives to get the nomination.

If they had been able to just pick him without the primaries, he'd probably have won campaigning as a moderate Republican against Obama.

No Republican was getting into office after W. Not even moderate McCain. Obama doesn't suddenly become less of an amazing politician just because McCain wouldn't have gone crazy.

Iolo

A) This Warren interview/endorsement is very good <3

B) similar to a lot of other people here, I just to have a very positive opinion of McCain a long time ago. That pivot to the right that he had to do though to win the nomination ruined him in my eyes :(

That's because McCain had a reputation as a maverick, but as he showed in 2008 with Palin and 2016 with Trump, he's just a regular old politician.

Elizabeth Warren for VP.

tumblr_n4eafwa3xc1qlvwnco1_500.gif

No Republican was getting into office after W. Not even moderate McCain. Obama doesn't suddenly become less of an amazing politician just because McCain wouldn't have gone crazy.
Obama didn't win in 2008 by that large a margin. The hard right and the racists would have voted against Obama no matter what, and a moderate McCain would have won more of the middle than the hard right version did. He'd have really stood a chance imho. His problem was that he pissed off moderates during the primaries to appease voters who were going to vote for any GOP candidate over Obama.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Obama didn't win in 2008 by that large a margin. The hard right and the racists would have voted against Obama no matter what, and a moderate McCain would have won more of the middle than the hard right version did. He'd have really stood a chance imho. His problem was that he pissed off moderates during the primaries to appease voters who were going to vote for any GOP candidate over Obama.

Also, the electorate would have to change for Moderate McCain to have even won his primary. Assuming he was just appointed by the party, it would have been a much closer election but I don't know if he could have won it.

If the electorate actually nominated Moderate McCain he would have won, or at the least the odds would be more likely for him to win than not.

HylianTom

Banned
That McConnell impersonation is going to live on.

And look at that smile during this VP question.. she's having to parse her words very carefully here.

McCain was more moderate except in terms of intervention in the middle east. Even GOP people didn't want more war, it was such an odd plank.

Trouble

Banned
I love Warren, but I feel like she'll do more good in the Senate or perhaps a cabinet position than as VP (not that I would be upset at all if Hillary picked her).

In any case I look forward to her just obliterating Trump every chance she gets until November.

She's shown me tonight that she can definitely stoke the Warren/Bernie wing, while constantly bringing it back to Hillary and how terrible Trump is.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
If Warren wants the VP gig she really should get it.

That's really a great point. She might be VERY effective if she wants the position.
I don't want to pressure her into it if she wants to continue to be a Senator.

mackaveli

Fuck I love Elizabeth Warren. She's the best. I don't know if she should leave the senate cause she can do a lot of good if Hillary wins and we retake the senate but she's amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom