• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT9| The Wrath of Khan!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
It's time we have an actual prediction on not if but when Trump drops out or the GOP steps away en masse. Last night I said October 1, then I said maybe in a couple weeks. Now: Can he make it to next Monday?

Ha!

@DavidAxelrod

I actually think this isn't the worst idea ever. Don't go out and say something stupid that will get any coverage. Everyone is enjoying the Trump implosion too much. Let it soak up all the oxygen in the room.

But let Daddy Kaine do something adorable.

Krugman just went hard

vIQmRFG.png
I don't disagree with Krugman's economic point, but politically the only question that seems to matter me is the same question it was at the start of the race: what will Congress look like next year? Hillary's economic rhetorical moves just seem way less important.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I actually think this isn't the worst idea ever. Don't go out and say something stupid that will get any coverage. Everyone is enjoying the Trump implosion too much. Let it soak up all the oxygen in the room.

But let Daddy Kaine do something adorable.

She could take Kaine on the trip and let him tell ghost stories. Then when we all get scared he can make us smores and hot coco.

He's not an attack dog. He's a father.

I don't like using attack dog with khan
That's a fair point. You're right, I'll probably refrain from that in the future.

Wait...Joe Cool is a real person? I always thought it was just a nickname my dad gave me for putting effort into the clothes I wear.
It's Joe Montana's nickname Aka the greatest qb of all time.

It's also a personality of Snoopy's

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
EVERYONE

READ

THIS.

GOP is forced to answer questions about what they'd do if their candidate backed out and what timing would be best for them

Holy shit holy shit.

The thing is: why run this story now? Why is the GOP doing this now? What's the reasoning? Have they heard rumors he might drop? Are they just doing this to appease donors, showing that they don't want him, either?

Seems odd to randomly drop this story without reason. Something is behind it.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I haven't really ventured outside this political thread on GAF. Are there more Trump supporters in the news threads?

Not unless things are going well for him, then they'll come out of the woodwork. You do see an apologist now and again though.

Not unless things are going well for him, then they'll come out of the woodwork. You do see an apologist now and again though.

Last time I really saw any was during the DNC hacks last week. The past few days seemed to have silenced any remaining ones.

The Olympics only resets things is Trump can stop making crazy attacks at people. It's clear he can't-this goes all the way back to that crazy post-RNC presser where he went after Cruz-so we'll keep getting peak crazy every day.

Trump won't drop out. Polling data will be stovepiped from his campaign and unskewed by his own mind's cognitive dissonance. He still has his HUUGGEEE rallies. He had tough times in the primaries but came through in the end and he'll be thinking the same will happen here.

Also I don't think the nuclear comments are all that worrying, given that he honestly might not have any idea how modern deterrence works (most people don't) and was asking the question to get details on US nuclear policy. I would like for him to make some kind of comment on if he supports new nuclear-capable cruise missles (really bad idea, the Senate asked the DoD to can this idea) and what he thinks of Obama exploring a firm no-first-use doctrine (which is something that has been floating around this summer).

He's probably not have a fucking clue ofc, but it would be nice to have someone ask it.

Honestly, again, seriously, how are people thinking the Olympics will give Trump a few weeks out of the spotlight. Because Rio is already so plagued with problems, he'll be able to say new stupid things daily.

Odds on him denigrating a losing Olympic athlete?

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
The thing is: why run this story now? Why is the GOP doing this now? What's the reasoning? Have they heard rumors he might drop? Are they just doing this to appease donors, showing that they don't want him, either?

They're doing it now cause Trump said he won't endorse Ryan, McCain, McDonnell and Ayote (and any other Republican who distances themselves from him).

Also, how stupid is Trump tweeting out "Things are more unified than evah folks believe me! Okay? BELIEVE ME"

You don't do shit like that! Come on. Someone take his fucking phone away.

Honestly, again, seriously, how are people thinking the Olympics will give Trump a few weeks out of the spotlight. Because Rio is already so plagued with problems, he'll be able to say new stupid things daily.

Odds on him denigrating a losing Olympic athlete?
I would be shocked if he didn't.

Also, how stupid is Trump tweeting out "Things are more unified than evah folks believe me! Okay? BELIEVE ME"

Manafort has given up Adam.. Can't stop the madness.

Jonathan Swan ‏@jonathanvswan 50m50 minutes ago
"I would break his f---ing thumbs if I could" - top Trump donor/fundraiser to me just now.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Yeah, Tebow sucked in the pros as a starter but he had his moments and he wasn't a scumbag. Only Ryan Leaf fully embodies the GE campaign dumpster fire that is Donald Trump.

What about Johnny Football? If you replace substance abuse with racism.

I think when he's talking about "unification" he's talking about actual voters, not elected officials (aka establishment). He wants to be the leader of a new republican party and he's willing to leave those that aren't on board behind.

Brinbe

I completely missed this one, holy shit. http://www.politico.com/story/2016/08/trump-harrisburg-war-zone-226591

Pennsylvania’s capital city said Donald Trump made “an unfortunate mistake” when he said it “looked like a war zone” from the window of his plane.
“Mr. Trump has made an unfortunate mistake in disparaging Pennsylvania’s capital city after a mere glance from the window of his airplane. Harrisburg is renowned as the heart of our commonwealth and a capital of unique beauty and charm,” Joyce Davis, the city’s director of communications, said in a statement released Tuesday. “Mr. Trump should know that Harrisburg and its residents are an integral part of the United States, which he is vying to lead.”

Trump’s comment Tuesday about Harrisburg came just one day after he campaigned in the region. He spoke to a packed house in nearby Mechanicsburg on Monday night, lamenting the region’s loss of manufacturing jobs and pledging to bring them back.

But at a rally Tuesday in Northern Virginia, Trump said Harrisburg “looked like a war zone” as he flew above it on his way out of town, a characterization that the city objected to strongly enough to release a statement about it.
Trump’s war zone comment came amid a string of unusual statements at his Tuesday morning rally, where he also ejected a baby from the audience and accepted a Purple Heart from a veteran, commenting, “I always wanted to get the Purple Heart. This was much easier.”

What the fuck!!!!!! He just verbally trashed the exact fucking part of the state he needs to win in the very state he absolutely needs to win! GAHHH, no wonder his staff is going crazy. AND THE LAST THING HE SHOULD BE DOING IS TALKING ABOU FUCKING WAR ZONES WHEN HIS ASS NEVER MADE IT TO VIETNAM OR ANY ACTUAL FUCKING WAR ZONES.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck

Think you're misreading this. 'The GOP' isn't dropping this story, they're being forced to answer these kinds of questions because their candidate is acting so fucking erratic. They are forced to contemplate what they'd do.

Not that they haven't already, not there isn't a post-Trump exit strategy, not that they don't have some grand, mystical Plan B. But that's assuming they know what the fuck they're doing. (lol)

My read is that they're in 100% reaction mode, that they're just now either realizing (or admitting) that their platform doesn't actually matter as long as they appeal to bigots, and SOMEHOW they're not ready to slough off that awful 30% of the voting populace. When enough of them do you'll see the party split. Not until then.

No, I think this is all wish fulfillment. There is nothing about Trump's ego or his belief about this state in this race that would make him drop out.

Think you're misreading this. 'The GOP' isn't dropping this story, they're being forced to answer these kinds of questions because their candidate is acting so fucking erratic. They are forced to contemplate what they'd do.

Not that they haven't already, not there isn't a post-Trump exit strategy, not that they don't have some grand, mystical Plan B. But that's assuming they know what the fuck they're doing. (lol)

My read is that they're in 100% reaction mode, that they're just now either realizing (or admitting) that their platform doesn't actually matter as long as they appeal to bigots, and SOMEHOW they're not ready to slough off that awful 30% of the voting populace. When enough of them do you'll see the party split. Not until then.

Yeah, this.

CCS

Banned
I completely missed this one, holy shit. http://www.politico.com/story/2016/08/trump-harrisburg-war-zone-226591

Pennsylvania’s capital city said Donald Trump made “an unfortunate mistake” when he said it “looked like a war zone” from the window of his plane.
“Mr. Trump has made an unfortunate mistake in disparaging Pennsylvania’s capital city after a mere glance from the window of his airplane. Harrisburg is renowned as the heart of our commonwealth and a capital of unique beauty and charm,” Joyce Davis, the city’s director of communications, said in a statement released Tuesday. “Mr. Trump should know that Harrisburg and its residents are an integral part of the United States, which he is vying to lead.”

Trump’s comment Tuesday about Harrisburg came just one day after he campaigned in the region. He spoke to a packed house in nearby Mechanicsburg on Monday night, lamenting the region’s loss of manufacturing jobs and pledging to bring them back.

But at a rally Tuesday in Northern Virginia, Trump said Harrisburg “looked like a war zone” as he flew above it on his way out of town, a characterization that the city objected to strongly enough to release a statement about it.
Trump’s war zone comment came amid a string of unusual statements at his Tuesday morning rally, where he also ejected a baby from the audience and accepted a Purple Heart from a veteran, commenting, “I always wanted to get the Purple Heart. This was much easier.”

What the fuck!!!!!! He just verbally trashed the exact fucking part of the state he needs to win in the very state he absolutely needs to win! GAHHH, no wonder his staff is going crazy.

Well that's one way of doing it.

pigeon

Banned
Trump is not going to drop out. GOP would need to endorse somebody else en masse, probably Johnson.

I'm disappointed if "what if Trump drops out" is their whole plan. Trump has already made it clear he has zero respect for institutional power. They have no leverage here.

This is kind of like the GOP people saying "HRC needs to move right so that we can come over." Nobody made you nominate Idiot Hitler. You can leave him or you can stay with him but you aren't going to negotiate with anyone.

Trump is not going to drop out. GOP would need to endorse somebody else en masse, probably Johnson.

I'm disappointed if "what if Trump drops out" is their whole plan. Trump has already made it clear he has zero respect for institutional power. They have no leverage here.

This is kind of like the GOP people saying "HRC needs to move right so that we can come over." Nobody made you nominate Idiot Hitler. You can leave him or you can stay with him but you aren't going to negotiate with anyone.

I think their ace in the hole is someone (ie a Bush and/or Romney) coming out and saying "We are not voting for Donald Trump." This is their best scenario. The GOP leadership can come out and say "We respect President Bush and Gov. Romney. And we have always said that members of the party should vote as they see fit." It takes the heat off of elected officials doing it, but it gives you a thread to hang on to if Trump is defeated in a landslide. It makes it harder for us Democrats to tie the entire party to Trump because "Look, former President and nominees didn't support him. #NotallRepublicans"

It's all they've got at this point.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck

What the fuck!!!!!! He just verbally trashed the exact fucking part of the state he needs to win in the very state he absolutely needs to win! GAHHH, no wonder his staff is going crazy.

What a perfect microcosm of the entire Trump campaign:

-- off the cuff, insensitive remarks
-- made from a private jet
-- denigrating the exact part of the country he needs to win
-- while revealing his foreign policy inexperience and ignorance

lololololololol

Trump is like that buster that was interviewed on Samantha Bee that believed that because he can't see any Hillary supporters somehow means he's going to win. I mean I seriously think that rigged election comment was more so him admitting that he's so sure of victory that something must be going on for him to lose.

Also, CNN should really just keep that "worst 72 hours for Trump" story as the top headline but increase the number by 24 hours everyday. Things have somehow gotten worse since then.

It's time we have an actual prediction on not if but when Trump drops out or the GOP steps away en masse. Last night I said October 1, then I said maybe in a couple weeks. Now: Can he make it to next Monday?
Trump's not gonna drop out. His ego will not let him. He will tear the party but he wont quit. See in Trump's mind everything is filtered through a win or lose binary algorithm. He sees his world from the perspective of Trump. Losing is bad for Trump. Winning is good for Trump.

He will spend maybe $100 million to stay afloat, and media gives him all the exposure in the world. In his mind he is not losing. The polls are wrong, CNN is biased and democrats are busy rigging the election.

Iolo

olitical Polls ‏@PpollingNumbers 30m30 minutes ago
National General Election:

Trump 45% (+1)
Clinton 44%

This is the USC/LA Times thing. It was Trump +7 a few days ago. FYI

538 adjusted leader Tru... Clinton +2?
ADJUSTED LEADER CLINTON +2
The world has flipped upside-down!

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Trump's not gonna drop out. His ego will not let him. He will tear the party but he wont quit. See in Trump's mind everything is filtered through a win or lose binary algorithm. He sees his world from the perspective of Trump. Losing is bad for Trump. Winning is good for Trump.

He will spend maybe $100 million to stay afloat, and media gives him all the exposure in the world. In his mind he is not losing. The polls are wrong, CNN is biased and democrats are busy rigging the election.

yes, but

It's coming.

What the fuck!!!!!! He just verbally trashed the exact fucking part of the state he needs to win in the very state he absolutely needs to win! GAHHH, no wonder his staff is going crazy. AND THE LAST THING HE SHOULD BE DOING IS TALKING ABOU FUCKING WAR ZONES WHEN HIS ASS NEVER MADE IT TO VIETNAM OR ANY ACTUAL FUCKING WAR ZONES.

hahahahaha, I can't anymore

Looks like Mainers are scooping up tickets for tomorrow's Trump rally just to leave the seats empty (it's free). People from out of state are registering too. LOL. He's completely wasting his time in Portland, Maine, of all places. The locals don't want him tainting their beloved Merrill Auditorium. You'd think he'd go north to Bangor or something for more support. Just complete idiocy.

http://tides.bangordailynews.com/20...ets-to-trump-rally-just-to-leave-seats-empty/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom