• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT9| The Wrath of Khan!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gruco

Banned
Honestly it is hard for me to see how the Republicans avoid a public civil war at this point....

Party big shots will not be able to avoid withdrawing endorsements for long. The water is already slipping past the first cracks (Whitman, others). Hearing these will just normalize Republicans rejecting trump.

Trump might be able to tele-prompt himself briefly, but he doesn't have a play to recover in the polls any time for the next week. Maybe he can pretend to walk back his non-endorsements, but it is hard to see something enthusiastic from him. Even then, bad polling is a vicious cycle for erratic behavior. Haters include anyone insufficiently enthusiastic. But public-facing Republicans can't ever give the enthusiasm he sees as rightfully his.

So, as Trump deals with party big shots taking support, how will he react? We all know the answer to that. He will lash out. As aggressively as possible.

Trump's behavioral norms are simple. He MUST NOT be disrespected. If disrespected, he MUST strike back. How can Reince, Ryan etc even deal with that? The party can work to actively reject Trump supporters, if they want to see their die hards staying home or actively working against them. Cozying back up will be off the table and just as costly.

Even if we say somehow Trump has a nervous breakdown and the ticket becomes Pence/Kasich by some miracle...Does anyone believe Trump will be quiet about it for three months? The man will seethe and rage about what has been taken from him.

This is I think Cruz's central insight about Trump, and why he was smart to back away from Trump. Ultimately, there is no un-fucking of this cluster.

The best part is we already saw this post Curiel and Pulse. But the campaign is on in earnest, the media smells blood in the water, and there is no more FBI, RNC, or Assange waiting to bail Trump out.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Is that Wapo interview truncated (Trumpcated?)? Because Trump keeps shifting from one subject to another in a matter of sentences. Like the guy has the worst attention span on the planet.

Course, that could also be just typical Trump.

This blatant attempt by the media to deflect away from Trump by running a story on the Iran money thing from January, that isn't even a real story, is pretty sad.

How much more obvious could the deflection possibly be?

Emarv

Is that Wapo interview truncated (Trumpcated?)? Because Trump keeps shifting from one subject to another in a matter of sentences. Like the guy has the worst attentions span on the planet.

That's typical Trump. Dude's a goldfish.

DrMungo

Is that Wapo interview truncated (Trumpcated?)? Because Trump keeps shifting from one subject to another in a matter of sentences. Like the guy has the worst attentions span on the planet.

I think that was unedited. He really has no attention span

Missed the judge not throwing out the Trump U case, his lack of understanding of what voter registration is and of the actual voting process itself, and, uh... Oh, gloomier polls, but that's pretty normal. Vowed to not do any media with CNN or the NTY any more because they were mean to him. Called Hillary "the devil," but was that Monday? Can't remember anymore.

I'm sure there were some other things.

Thankfully(?!), the nukes comment is from Wednesday.

Co8CFWbWEAARb8c.jpg:large

To be fair, this is via Joe Scarborough via a Trump foreign policy advisor from months ago. Not that there is anything remotely unbelievable about it.

The only wrinkle to Trump's ego not letting him drop out is that at some point, he may only be able to choose the form of his destruction. Either a humiliating resignation, or a humiliating defeat. I don't really know what that does to him or how he would respond.

Tobor

Is that Wapo interview truncated (Trumpcated?)? Because Trump keeps shifting from one subject to another in a matter of sentences. Like the guy has the worst attention span on the planet.

That's Trump. His ghostwriter says he's always been that way. He can't sit still for more than a few minutes. No attention span.

This blatant attempt by the media to deflect away from Trump by running a story on the Iran money thing from January, that isn't even a real story, is pretty sad.

How much more obvious could the deflection possibly be?

The funniest thing to me is, I think Trump's ego hates it when the news aren't talking about him more than anything else. Any time his allies try to change the narrative to a new story that isn't about him to deflect from stupid shit he's done, he's going to do something more absurd to get them back talking about him.

I can't imagine this keeping up, because it's already hilarious, but here we are. I mean, I think polls will bottom out soon but we'll get a great look at the number of people who will vote republican no matter what the candidate looks like.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Rick Klein said:
Priebus "furious," per @jonkarl. Senior GOP officials "actively exploring" how to replace Trump on ballot if he drops out. @GMA

Oh man this is great.

I guarantee you they offer him money to drop. The offer will happen.

To be fair, this is via Joe Scarborough via a Trump foreign policy advisor from months ago. Not that there is anything remotely unbelievable about it.

The only wrinkle to Trump's ego not letting him drop out is that at some point, he may only be able to choose the form of his destruction. Either a humiliating resignation, or a humiliating defeat. I don't really know what that does to him or how he would respond.

He'll be doubling down on it before the day is done and you know it ;)

If Trump drops out, what are the logistics of replacing him? Would state deadlines matter, or would it simply be the party just changing the name and continuing on?

Has a candidate ever dropped out this close to the election before?

I don't think he'll drop out though. I think the Olympics will give his campaign some time to breath, and then he'll come right back to the crazy after, only by then it'll be far, far too late to do anything about him.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
If Trump drops out, what are the logistics of replacing him? Would state deadlines matter, or would it simply be the party just changing the name and continuing on?

The GOP is looking into it but if I remember the report I heard this morning right they'd have to start the process before the end of the month. Once September rolls into town he's locked in.

I don't think he'll drop out though. I think the Olympics will give his campaign some time to breath, and then he'll come right back to the crazy after, only by then it'll be far, far too late to do anything about him.

No, this would be uncharted territory. Just the fact that RNC officials are thinking about this and not how to get their candidates elected is amazing.

But he can spin a defeat as being rigged. How can you spin quitting?

Harrisburg is no warzone!
It's just super run down and broke. The city actually has potential with an investment just to do some infrastructure maintenance but they have no money.

Tobor

No presidential candidate has ever dropped out post convention.

One vice presidential candidate died in the 1800s and had to be replaced, and Eagleton had to drop out as VP in '72.

Where are the polls? I want to see how badly the Khans hurt him!

Harrisburg is no warzone!
It's just super run down and broke. The city actually has potential with an investment just to do some infrastructure maintenance but they have no money.

The worst hotel I have ever stayed in, in my entire life, was in Harrisburg. It was a mid point before Baltimore and my home in New York, just a stop so we didn't have to drive for 10 hours straight. Last year. But it was awful. Flies and little bugs everywhere. Breakfast was disgusting. The hotel was really aged and dirty. But at 60 dollars a night, I guess you get what you pay for.

Although I thought downtown Harrisburg was pretty decent, considering I originally thought it was a farm town (I thought Philly was the capital heh...)

Emarv

Trump ain't dropping out. He might lock himself in his tower for a few weeks to seek attention of "will he or won't he", but this is the biggest popularity contest for him. He wants to have millions of people walk into a booth and check a box that says they like him and think he's cool, smart and handsome. It's how his brain works. Sure, he doesn't want to lose, but there's no way he passes up a chance to get that narcissistic feeling he craves.

Goodstyle

If Trump does drop out, Hillary would be forced to fight a competent opponent. I really hope that doesn't happen so we can get our landslide victory.

If Trump does drop out, Hillary would be forced to fight a competent opponent. I really hope that doesn't happen so we can get our landslide victory.

No, she wouldn't. She'd be fighting a crippled opponent with no infrastructure, no research, no foundation of voters.

She'd win in a landslide.

Iolo

I leave you guys alone for a few hours after the most heartening day for Democrats in this campaign, and when I return you're diablosing about President Kasich? Come on now.

Trump's hardcore supporters will revolt if he's forced out.

I leave you guys alone for a few hours after the most heartening day for Democrats in this campaign, and when I return you're diablosing about President Kasich? Come on now.

Trump's hardcore supporters will revolt if he's forced out.

Yea, if he drops out it's a major mess.

If he is forced out and Trump goes, "Yea, they didn't like me, they didn't want me" then it will be a riot.

Bowdz

If the GOP pays Trump to drop, where the hell are they going to get the money to run a legitimate GE campaign?

A competent opponent that will be too busy picking up the pieces of a shattered party. Do you think a Trump supporter is going to jump on the Kasich train? Do you think Trump is going to pull a Bernie and do all he can to unite the party? Come on.

lol

guys anyone remotely competent or interested in their own future wouldn't volunteer themselves to be the guy to follow the shit storm that Trump left in his wake.

Kasich would be stupid to come in if Trump drops out. I can see Lyin' Ted or Little Marco doing it, but almost no one else. That said, I don't see Trump dropping out. Not out of his own will anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom