• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT9| The Wrath of Khan!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pigeon

Banned
I think you're underestimating Trump's reliance (subconsciously or otherwise) on implicit GOP support. If everyone steps away from him at once they have a lot of power.

They have a lot of power to destroy the GOP.

Why does Trump give a shit about that?

Like in the hypothetical situation where a bunch of GOP politicians switch away and endorse Johnson or whatever, what happens to Trump? He loses the election? He's already going to do that and he doesn't believe it!

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
That power manifests itself in the electorate. If Paul Ryan pulls support, there's a good chance Trump die hard supporters will punish him at the polls in November. He's loses his seat, he loses the Speakership. Many Republicans up for re-election won't take that chance. They're going to hem and haw until 11/8.

As I've argued in a few times this thread already, I'm saying the point at which Paul Ryan and thee GOP is worried about his seat / their seats is either already behind him or will be in the next few days.

You have to look at this in a politically fatalistic way: Paul Ryan (and the GOP establishment) is fucked either way. When you're fucked either way, what do you do?

HylianTom

Banned
Well.

@Hoffine44:
Hatch: Garland "is well qualified for his position...I see no reason why his nomination should be delayed further."

Time is ticking, GOP. You know how this ends.

===

Can we finally put to rest the Trump/Cruz debate? Trump is by far the better candidate for Hillary to face.
I stand by this belief. Cruz is far savvier and would've made an actual attempt at pivoting, and he'd have a robust organization and the full force of the party behind him.

Trump's bad week came at a perfect time with the DNC email poo problem falling off the news radar and more focussed on Trump chaos instead

HRC is so lucky that Trump is goofing it up. IMO, I am convinced that a generic Republican would have given her more trouble and have angled their attacks better.

Trump being a nutter is making HRC's life easier

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
They have a lot of power to destroy the GOP.

Why does Trump give a shit about that?

Like in the hypothetical situation where a bunch of GOP politicians switch away and endorse Johnson or whatever, what happens to Trump? He loses the election? He's already going to do that and he doesn't believe it!

because the GOP is already destroyed. Everyone can see it, them most of all.

Maledict

Well those charts of age breakdowns cheer me up at least. Because I'm apparently a millennial by their definitions! ;-)

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Well.

@Hoffine44:

===

I stand by this belief. Cruz is far savvier and would've made an actual attempt at pivoting, and he'd have a robust organization and the full force of the party behind him.

Wonder what caused the change of heart?

As I've argued in a few times this thread already, I'm saying the point at which Paul Ryan and thee GOP is worried about his seat / their seats is either already behind him or will be in the next few days.

You have to look at this in a politically fatalistic way: Paul Ryan (and the GOP establishment) is fucked either way. When you're fucked either way, what do you do?

I agree with you there, and Ryan was just an example, but everything is up in the air this year. If I was advising him for his own benefit (not what I actually want), I'd tell him to keep repudiating him, but not stepping over the un-endorsing line.

Grief.exe

Well.

@Hoffine44:

===

Getting a full court for the fall session would be huge.

Hillary for Virginia just tweeted an article with this image:

AB2DDD9F-0C07-4EBC-A8F2-C478EEEFEA7F.jpg

They know. O.O
For a guy who went to Harvard law, it is impressive how well he's transitioned into "Mr. Relatable." What a win, especially given the contrast to the competition. I wanted Warren but now I am totally sold on Kaine. I am sorry I ever doubted Hillary on this.

Trump's bad week came at a perfect time with the DNC email poo problem falling off the news radar and more focussed on Trump chaos instead

HRC is so lucky that Trump is goofing it up. IMO, I am convinced that a generic Republican would have given her more trouble and have angled their attacks better.

Trump being a nutter is make HRC's life easier

Obviously running against a legit crazy person has simplified Clinton's message. I do give her credit for using this time a chance to cut out all of the potential problems from the DNC. If wikileaks drops more bombs her campaign can say they already addressed the problem.

Maledict

They know Hillary will win, and a relatively old Centre left judge is a damn sight better deal than a strong left 40 year old who Hillary could push through. Either way they lose the court for a decade (or more), but at least they don't lose it for an entire generation.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
They know Hillary will win, and a relatively old Centre left judge is a damn sight better deal than a strong left 40 year old who Hillary could push through. Either way they lose the court for a decade (or more), but at least they don't lose it for an entire generation.

Did you sleep through the last two days?

Well yeah, I just meant that I figured they'd wait until we get a bit closer to the election.

Well.

@Hoffine44:

===

Unless I am misunderstanding, this is a quote from the 90s, not today. It's Hatch talking about Garland being appointed to a lower court.

pigeon

Banned
because the GOP is already destroyed. Everyone can see it, them most of all.

Right, I agree. But your argument was that Trump is dependent on establishment GOP support. I don't think this is true in any meaningful way, so I wanted you to explain why. Like definitely he needs them if he were going to win the election, but everybody knows he isn't going to.

HylianTom

Banned
Unless I am misunderstanding, this is a quote from the 90s, not today. It's Hatch talking about Garland being appointed to a lower court.
Oh crap, you're right. *redfaced*

I'm a bit skeptical that they'd move on his nomination before the election.. their base would go ballistic.

ampere

Given medical advances Garland could be one the bench 15 - 20 years. Think about all of the decisions he could have flipped this session alone. Take the win man.

Garland better be a cyborg with 40 years left in him or Obama's legacy is ruined

(yea I will take Garland over 4-4 court any day of the week)

Well.

@Hoffine44:

===

Garland is so old tho

Obama pls

I'm dying here

Getting a full court for the fall session would be huge.

Well yeah, I just meant that I figured they'd wait until we get a bit closer to the election.

I think that Hatch quote is from when Garland was nominated for DC Court

Oh crap, you're right. *redfaced*

I'm a bit skeptical that they'd move on his nomination before the election.. their base would go ballistic.
I don't blame you. Nothing is beyond belief right now. I was under the impression Melania had said she wouldn't vote for Trump on feminist principles for like a week until I realized it was an April fool's joke.

Chichikov

How do you do, fellow kids? Was this posted? This thread is moving fast, and my reflexes aren't as good as they used to be.

Revealed at Madame Tussauds: Donald Trump's Actual Hand Size
This is the best.
Also this article led me to this amazing piece -
Mysterious Disappearance Of Donald Trump’s Cement Handprints.

So like usually I would dismiss such stories as tabloid bullshit, but I have to say, there's a non negligible chance that he ripped his handprints from the Trump tower because little Marco got in his head.

wetGks8.jpg

hoos30

I got excited too, but the Hatch quote is from 1990's files just released by the Clinton Library. Hatch hasn't had a change of heart; the papers just reveal that the GOP thought Garland was a perfectly fine judge back in the day.

Even Trump's supporters are getting frustrated with him. I decided to look through Trump's latest facebook posts and this comment on a post he made about an hour ago has over 1,000 likes.

person on facebook said:
It would be helpful if you would stop putting your foot in your mouth with every liberal trap that exists...

Iolo

Axelrod said something quite a few months ago that was instructive. He said that the campaign is a crucible and every campaign will be tested severely; that in that moment the strength and infrastructure of the campaign is at its most important, and that your relationships with the party and voters are paramount. It's not just how the candidate handles it, but the candidate's underlying support. Without that support, you may not be able to pick yourself up.

For Hillary (so far), the low point was the FBI press conference, but a successful DNC (both for the TV audience and for Bernie outreach) seems to have reset that.

For Trump, this may be that same moment.

Trump's pulling in OK money if that's true, but he isn't booking television spots with it. All the money in the world won't help him if he doesn't have a place to spend it. Hill is booking stuff all over the place.

But then there this...

Co8hO3OWYAAGXb_.jpg

HylianTom

Banned

CCS

Banned
Trump's pulling in OK money if that's true, but he isn't booking television spots with it. All the money in the world won't help him if he doesn't have a place to spend it. Hill is booking stuff all over the place.

But then there this...

Co8hO3OWYAAGXb_.jpg

The funniest thing about this is that I'm not even slightly surprised.

But then there this...

Co8hO3OWYAAGXb_.jpg

I bet Trump is one of those old guys who talks to the TV and yells at news anchors, even when nobody else is in the room.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
In reference to those polling numbers about the rich favoring Hillary, I'm not surprised at all. Trump's entire campaign in the primaries was catered toward the poor, white, rural voter who feels that they have no say in government.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom