• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT9| The Wrath of Khan!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grief.exe

NO

I just always believe every republican votes for an R even if it's a flaming sack of shit. Meanwhile dems are saying things like "Jill stein's gluten free bagel policy really speaks to me"

I'm fucking dying right now

ZH14KM7.gif

Iolo

There's only one person qualified, willing, and able to step in for Trump. Someone who has a proven track record of taking on jobs he never wanted, someone out for revenge.

President Paul Ryan.

With Koch and other big-money investors back on board they would make it up pretty quick.

I don't think it would be about the money at this point. The DNC was already able to take away the patriotism thing from the GOP at the convention.

This... overthrow would allow the Dems to take the "democracy" thing too. Anybody who steps in would be painted as illegitimate and not what the people voted for. Except this time it would actually be true, unlike what people say about the Dem primary races. Low hanging fruit for the DNC at that point.

Plumbob

There's only one person qualified, willing, and able to step in for Trump. Someone who has a proven track record of taking on jobs he never wanted, someone out for revenge.

President Paul Ryan.

If Paul Ryan withdrew his endorsement and got others to support Johnson...

HylianTom

Banned

President Paul Ryan.
*vomit*

I have a severe, severe dislike of the man. I went to an all-boys' Catholic high school (one where Scalia spoke right before he passed), and he reminds me of some of the holier-than-thou pricks that were in my classes. Ugh.

olitical Polls ‏@PpollingNumbers 30m30 minutes ago
National General Election:

Trump 45% (+1)
Clinton 44%

This is the USC/LA Times thing. It was Trump +7 a few days ago. FYI

thefro

If Trump drops out, what are the logistics of replacing him? Would state deadlines matter, or would it simply be the party just changing the name and continuing on?

I think the only hard deadline is when ballots get printed, and I would assume most states would reprint the ballots in that scenario barring it being impossible to do so.

*vomit*

I have a severe, severe dislike of the man. I went to an all-boys' Catholic high school (one where Scalia spoke right before he passed), and he reminds me of some of the holier-than-thou pricks that were in my classes. Ugh.

I went to an all boys Catholic school too :(

Newt going heel:

Co8Ky0UWEAA0UyC.jpg:large

Sopan Deb ‏@SopanDeb 2m2 minutes ago
More Gingrich to FBN: "I think some of what Trump what has done is just very self destructive.” Strongly endorses Ryan and McCain.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
The uniforms are hot, though. ;-)

CNN just said the GOP is not currently preparing for a Trump exit but that if he were to exit, the decision would have to be made before September 1 for them to salvage anything.

Yup, if they can't force him to quit voluntarily (and that's the key word) before the end of the month then we're golden. We just need that sociopathic orange racist cheeto bastard to hold out for one month.

Not sure if posted..

http://www.cnn.com/2016/08/03/politics/khizr-khan-donald-trump-john-mccain/

Keep holding on to your Trump endorsement, McCain you fuck.

Holy shit Khan is fucking savage. Get that man into the senate.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Newt going heel:

My favorite part of this is the implication that Trump can rein it in like Montana did. Will never happen.

Why would Kasich or Cruz offer themselves up as a sacrificial stand in for Trump?

Neither would. Kasich is too smart and Cruz thinks he is the incarnate of Reagan, and his timeline for president after his primary loss is 2020.

jbug617

Banned
No way Trump drops out. I think the best case for him is that the Olympics brings down some of the heat on him.

Newt going heel:

Trump is not Joe Montana. He is Tim Tebow. He got lucky and his team carried him to a few wins and kept him in games despite his constant interceptions. Then he threw one lucky pass when the defense was creeping up to win a playoff game and now Trump thinks he's the shit, but the real experts know that he's way out of his league

The school uniform thing never did it for me. Mainly because I went to a Christian school, and we wore uniforms forever and meh. /random

Honestly it is hard for me to see how the Republicans avoid a public civil war at this point....

Party big shots will not be able to avoid withdrawing endorsements for long. The water is already slipping past the first cracks (Whitman, others). Hearing these will just normalize Republicans rejecting trump.

Trump might be able to tele-prompt himself briefly, but he doesn't have a play to recover in the polls any time for the next week. Maybe he can pretend to walk back his non-endorsements, but it is hard to see something enthusiastic from him. Even then, bad polling is a vicious cycle for erratic behavior. Haters include anyone insufficiently enthusiastic. But public-facing Republicans can't ever give the enthusiasm he sees as rightfully his.

So, as Trump deals with party big shots taking support, how will he react? We all know the answer to that. He will lash out. As aggressively as possible.

Trump's behavioral norms are simple. He MUST NOT be disrespected. If disrespected, he MUST strike back. How can Reince, Ryan etc even deal with that? The party can work to actively reject Trump supporters, if they want to see their die hards staying home or actively working against them. Cozying back up will be off the table and just as costly.

Even if we say somehow Trump has a nervous breakdown and the ticket becomes Pence/Kasich by some miracle...Does anyone believe Trump will be quiet about it for three months? The man will seethe and rage about what has been taken from him.

This is I think Cruz's central insight about Trump, and why he was smart to back away from Trump. Ultimately, there is no un-fucking of this cluster.

The best part is we already saw this post Curiel and Pulse. But the campaign is on in earnest, the media smells blood in the water, and there is no more FBI, RNC, or Assange waiting to bail Trump out.
Great post.

CCS

Banned
The Republican party right now reminds me of when the teacher leaves the classroom and everyone starts pissing around and something breaks, then the teacher reappears and everyone immediately starts screaming that its everyone else's fault.

The Olympics only resets things is Trump can stop making crazy attacks at people. It's clear he can't-this goes all the way back to that crazy post-RNC presser where he went after Cruz-so we'll keep getting peak crazy every day.

Trump won't drop out. Polling data will be stovepiped from his campaign and unskewed by his own mind's cognitive dissonance. He still has his HUUGGEEE rallies. He had tough times in the primaries but came through in the end and he'll be thinking the same will happen here.

Also I don't think the nuclear comments are all that worrying, given that he honestly might not have any idea how modern deterrence works (most people don't) and was asking the question to get details on US nuclear policy. I would like for him to make some kind of comment on if he supports new nuclear-capable cruise missles (really bad idea, the Senate asked the DoD to can this idea) and what he thinks of Obama exploring a firm no-first-use doctrine (which is something that has been floating around this summer).

He's probably not have a fucking clue ofc, but it would be nice to have someone ask it.

The Republican party right now reminds me of when the teacher leaves the classroom and everyone starts pissing around and something breaks, then the teacher reappears and everyone immediately starts screaming that its everyone else's fault.

So you blame it on the weird kid that no one liked.

But, the problem is, that's 90% of the Republican party.....

I was the weird kid no one liked. Except no one could blame me for anything because I never did anything wrong.

Crayons

Banned
Donald Trump is no Joe Montana. He's more like a Ryan Leaf.

Trump is not Joe Montana. He is Tim Tebow. He got lucky and his team carried him to a few wins and kept him in games despite his constant interceptions. Then he threw one lucky pass when the defense was creeping up to win a playoff game and now Trump thinks he's the shit, but the real experts know that he's way out of his league

these sports anologies are lost on me

CCS

Banned

I was the weird kid no one liked. Except no one could blame me for anything because I never did anything wrong.

Awww, I'm sorry bae :(

So was I

Crayons

Banned

i feel u adam :(

no one liked me either

The Tebow analogy also applies in that as soon as Tebow got out of the lower level play in college, he wasn't able to compete. This is similar to how Trump simply isn't prepared to fight in a political environment where similarly-minded primary opponents aren't around to provide cover to his very bad ideas or distract attention away from him.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
The uniforms are hot, though. ;-)

CNN just said the GOP is not currently preparing for a Trump exit but that if he were to exit, the decision would have to be made before September 1 for them to salvage anything.

EVERYONE

READ

THIS.

GOP is forced to answer questions about what they'd do if their candidate backed out and what timing would be best for them

Holy shit holy shit.

Yeah, Tebow sucked in the pros as a starter but he had his moments and he wasn't a scumbag. Only Ryan Leaf fully embodies the GE campaign dumpster fire that is Donald Trump.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom