• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT9| The Wrath of Khan!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Oh my goodness I had no idea how bad Fox News was nowadays. It's basically Drudge. Every single story is pro-Trump or anti-Hillary.

Bayh up 58-32 according to leaked Democrat internal polling.

He's just terrible, but still a +1 vote for many bills.
He's also a way to buffer against Joe Donnelly possibly losing his seat in a midterm election, when Democrat turnout goes way down. Gotta keep at least one D Senator in Indiana.

I'm going to try to help Joe keep his seat in two years, but it won't be easy...

Hopfrog

I mean, these comments are just the icing on an already incredibly shitty cake. It really is astonishing what Trump has already said during this campaign that would have been unimaginable for candidates in previous years. Let us not forget that this is a man who has already suggested that he believes the general election will be rigged against him - that is far worse than Romney's 47% remark.

He deserves to lose Mondale or Goldwater-style - that is his level.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Net worth usually includes assets, no?

According to the news above by studyguy, Sanders just bought a 600k vacation home (article was dated just yesterday), there's no way his net worth is lower than the money he put down on that.

Only if he bought it outright? If he put $200,000 towards it and the rest is in a $400,000 mortgage, it would only count for $200,000 - $600,000 is a positive asset from the house, $400,000 is negative debt from the mortgage. Unless he's lying and has excluded half his wealth from his disclosure, I'm pretty certain Sanders isn't a millionaire. I mean, it's kind of irrelevant to that meme now because he won't become president anyway, but facts are facts.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
I feel like dogwhistle doesn't apply to Trump anymore. These are Trumpwhistles. The only vague language in his sentences is there for implausible deniability.

Whenever I see someone post the "pivot" gif I always imagine the Trump campaign posting this one immediately after:

28ynGKD.gif

Secret Service is probably going to contact him and Trump will be like, "I talked to the secret service guys and they said Mr. Trump, thank you for saying those words"

Trump is such a fucking idiot. I don't know why every strategist still working for the RNC hasn't assaulted him with expletives in private. Let's recap, GAF:

His last economic policy was going to increase the debt by $10 trillion dollars, slash spending, and was essentially blended nonsense. He just now walked that back with a well rehearsed speech written word for word by conservative strategists into a vanilla Republican economic plan. Better yet, he completely behaved himself despite twelve protests during the speech. TWELVE. It was a reset, folks, a much needed reset after two weeks of being grilled for insulting a gold star family several times. It was a legitimate reset.

And now he just blew it by suggesting people should shoot the supreme court nominee. Wow. It just keeps happening.

There's no such thing as a reset with Trump.

mo60

It's unlikely trump gets arrested for this, but this may gra the secret services attention and they will probably try to increase hilary's security.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Some gems from twitter over the past 30 minutes:

Benjy Sarlin
@BenjySarlin
The campaign that's spent the last week shouting Clinton accidentally said "are" instead of "aren't" one time is now pleading for context.

3:27pm · 9 Aug 2016 · TweetDeck

Michael Crowley
@michaelcrowley
Govt has investigated two Trump associates—his butler and a campaign advisor—for HRC threats. Roger Stone has also called for her execution

3:29pm · 9 Aug 2016 · TweetDeck

Teresa
@TeresaKopec
Press complains that Hillary is stiff and “scripted.” Maybe because saying any damn thing that crosses your mind is dangerous. #Trump

3:25pm · 9 Aug 2016 · Tweetbot for iΟS

Kevin Collier
@kevincollier
Just called @SecretService re: "2nd Amendment people":

"We're familiar with the comment," not yet prepared to make statement.

3:23pm · 9 Aug 2016 · Twitter Web Client

LOLGOP
@LOLGOP
We should trust a crowd who thinks fake firing Flavor Flav is qualification to be president to see the subtleties of an armed rebellion joke

3:24pm · 9 Aug 2016 · TweetDeck

David Frum
@davidfrum
Hinting broadly at gun violence is a good way to distract attention from your morning comment that the stock market was overvalued

3:18pm · 9 Aug 2016 · TweetDeck

Benjy Sarlin
@BenjySarlin
Let's apply Occam's razor. Which sounds more like Trump? A) Casually invokes violence B) Organizes single-issue activist pressure campaigns

3:15pm · 9 Aug 2016 · TweetDeck

Chris Murphy
@ChrisMurphyCT
Don't treat this as a political misstep. It's an assassination threat, seriously upping the possibility of a national tragedy & crisis.

3:14pm · 9 Aug 2016 · Twitter for iPhone

Rubenov

2nd Amendment trending on twitter right now.

Please, let this be the thing that makes him shut the fuck up.

There's gotta be more scandalous stuff in store for us. If things go like "normal" for too long, he gets restless and BAM! Another limit breached.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Only if he bought it outright? If he put $200,000 towards it and the rest is in a $400,000 mortgage, it would only count for $200,000 - $600,000 is a positive asset from the house, $400,000 is negative debt from the mortgage. Unless he's lying and has excluded half his wealth from his disclosure, I'm pretty certain Sanders isn't a millionaire. I mean, it's kind of irrelevant to that meme now because he won't become president anyway, but facts are facts.

This is also wrong. If he buys a house for 600k, regardless of how he finances it, he gets a 600k asset. In your case assets go up by 400k (600k house - 200k cash) and liabilities go up by 400k. Buying a house of X has no impact on your net worth.

Balance sheet must balance here.

mo60

I do, actually. I want him to shut up because he is going to end up getting someone very badly hurt or killed.

Yep. The fun and games are over. Someome is eventually going to get hurt or killed because of the rhetoric he has been spouting recently and in the past.

There's gotta be more scandalous stuff in store for us. If things go like "normal" for too long, he gets restless and BAM! Another limit breached.

I'm pretty sure he can't go past "assassinate Hillary Clinton" unless he brags about raping those women who have accused him of rape.

Trump's basically only going to get his base to vote for him at this point. The exit polls re going to be ridiculous. As badly as he's doing right now, these comments are going to hurt him further.

hawk2025

As someone accurately stated on OT, this kind of spin is basically when a mob boss says "This is a nice family you've got here, would be a shame if something happened to it"...

...and then a bunch of fools started pretending what he actually meant was that the guy really should get insurance.

mo60

Trump's basically only going to get his base to vote for him at this point. The exit polls re going to be ridiculous. As badly as he's doing right now, these comments are going to hurt him further.

He's probably not going to break 40% at this point if he continues to say awful things like what he said today.

If nut jobs on the right can get riled and do crazy shit over abortion, what do you think they'll do if there was a perception that a candidate is going to take their guns away? You're playing with fucking fire.

I'm honestly afeared for Hillary now. This incident combined with the tinderbox of hate at his rallies is very alarming. Like, they freely shout cunt, bitch, hang her, lock her up etc. All it takes is one psychopath.

Doesnt matter if Trump really meant NRA mobilize voters or whatever. The crazy hear the crazy.

To answer your earlier question, I found my information from a bogus article that erroneously counted all of his homes as payed for. But there's more to this.

First, the number you found is actually the average of the range he disclosed, which went from about 200k to about 800k, which is where the 500+ number comes from. We have no idea where he falls in that range. Further, personal financial disclosure forms don't have to reveal properties at all. And they also don't have to reveal any information about mortgages. As of this writing, Bernie Sanders owns three homes: one in a DC neighborhood where the median home price is about 700k, one in Burlington, and now a 600k summer home. Further, it is common to take a couple's net worth, divide it in half, and then disclose that as your individual net worth.

So the truth is that not only do we have no idea how much Bernie Sanders' net worth actually is, it is in fact highly likely that he has enough equity in those 3 homes to put him over 1 million.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Qualifications for the Presidency:

[x] 35 years old
[x] US Citizen
[ ] Understands Nuclear basics -- MAD, the triad, non-proliferation, etc.
[ ] Understands necessity of NATO
[ ] Understands the limits of government power vis a vis the US Constitution
[ ] Understands the Bill of Rights
[ ] Understands the limits of a voluntary military service is that you never, under any circumstance, fuck with the parents of a soldier who died in service, ever.
[ ] Understands that calling for violence against a national politician is immediate grounds for arrest and prosecution under the full extent of US law.
[ ] Understands that not understanding all of the above while running for the US Presidency is tantamount to treason.

Does the secret service investigate someone who's under secret service protection? How would this work.

Well, it wouldn't be too far out of their way...

I used to think that Trump's final breakdown would be saying something like "Stop that Bitch!", now I think it will be "Kill that cunt."

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
To answer your earlier question, I found my information from a bogus article that erroneously counted all of his homes as payed for. But there's more to this.

First, the number you found is actually the average of the range he disclosed, which went from about 200k to about 800k, which is where the 500+ number comes from. We have no idea where he falls in that range. Further, personal financial disclosure forms don't have to reveal properties at all. And they also don't have to reveal any information about mortgages. As of this writing, Bernie Sanders owns three homes: one in a DC neighborhood where the median home price is about 700k, one in Burlington, and now a 600k summer home. Further, it is common to take a couple's net worth, divide it in half, and then disclose that as your individual net worth.

So the truth is that not only do we have no idea how much Bernie Sanders' net worth actually is, it is in fact highly likely that he has enough equity in those 3 homes to put him over 1 million.

Fair, that's interesting. In the UK, the disclosure forms do have to list property (because MPs get a housing allowance which they can't claim if they have a relevant property).

Bowdz

Fuck Trump for this shit. This is SO FAR beyond the pale of what is even fringe in American politics. This is not the first Trumpite to suggest political violence. By my count, three Trumpites have literally called for Clinton's execution, the entire RNC has chanted lock her up, and Trump's rallies have TONS of people who call for her execution. The media had better grow so fucking balls and just out and out call on Trump and only Trump to repudiate this statement. If he doesn't, bring it up EVERY fucking day until he does.

I'm fucking blown away. This is so dangerous and irresponsible and even borderline illegal. The GOP had better repudiate this or the Dems should hang this anchor around thejr neck and dominate. Fucking goddamnit.

Owzers

The media will let Trump off the hook for this comment, but it's blatant he was talking about violence against Hillary. This is even less up for interpretation than Megyn's bleeding areas, who substitutes:

“If she gets to pick her judges, nothing you can do, folks. Although the Second Amendment people––maybe there is, I dunno…”

I'm sure people running for president lose track of telling people to vote. Such a hard thing to be consistent on. I dunno...i guess you could vote.

Next weeks' polls: Clinton +15, 400+ projected Electoral College.

Meanwhile:

Annie Karni ‏@anniekarni 3h3 hours ago
Meg Whitman just the tip of the GOP for HRC business spear -- am told she's going to announce big, biz community group for Hillary

Jim Sciutto ‏@jimsciutto 15m15 minutes ago
Just in: “The US Secret Service is aware of Mr. Trump’s comments” - USSS Comms Director Cathy Milhoan to #CNN

Fair, that's interesting. In the UK, the disclosure forms do have to list property (because MPs get a housing allowance which they can't claim if they have a relevant property).
That's just further proof that the rich are truly coddled in my country compared to the UK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom